Fighter Thread XXXIII - Sweatier than Urien's man diaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately SF2:WW. I was young at the time but I was okay at it. When Champion came out I got into it and actually learned the moves and everything. I actually learned how to do a Fireball motion with Sagat first (strange for sure).

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I hope to be back up and online ASAP. Pretty sure I'll have no problem getting internet access on my computer, but on my consoles is another story.

Talk to everyone as soon as I can.

Best of luck, Jim!!!

As far as that "first fighting game" goes, you can throw me in with the SF2:WW crowd. First time I saw it was at this comic/video store that my dad would always take me to. In my early days of playing I gravitated towards Blanka, Chun Li, and E Honda, because I could do a special move just by mashing buttons and it made me feel all cool.

Haha, I never actually did a hadoken (intentionally) until my friend got the game on SNES. I was so excited because the instruction manual had the special move commands, and that was actually the first time I had seen them written down on paper. But we puzzled over the basic fireball motion... down, then down-forward, then forward, what's that all about eh???? Then I figured out it was supposed to be a "rolling" motion and I felt like a genius.

My first fighting games were probably Karate Champ (1984), Budokan the Martial Spirit (1989), and then SF2 (1991).

The first time I digitally punched someone's lights out, I was hooked.

First fighting game for me was Super Street Fighter II on the SNES. And back then, sweeps were where it was at. Tripping is the best move in the game apparently, coz it's unblockable.

Ah, my days of retardation.

[quote name='Chacrana']First fighting game for me was Super Street Fighter II on the SNES. And back then, sweeps were where it was at. Tripping is the best move in the game apparently, coz it's unblockable.

Ah, my days of retardation.[/QUOTE]Hahaha yeah. My airtight SNES strategy involved copious amounts of Chun Li sweeps. And of course lightning kick spams like no one's business. Back in the day that would get you a ton of wins. Only Japanese kids at the arcade possessed the deeper knowledge of 2-hit combos and what have you.

First fighting game was Street Fighter II. Ah the memories.

Also a head's up...eStarland.com has the Xbox 360 Fighting EX 2 Arcade Joystick by Hori in stock. I just grabbed one. The cheapest shipping is $10.00 but I had some credit to soften the blow.

http://www.estarland.com/Xbox360.cat..product.29572.html
51835.jpg

Cheers.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']My first fighting games were probably Karate Champ (1984), Budokan the Martial Spirit (1989), and then SF2 (1991).

The first time I digitally punched someone's lights out, I was hooked.[/quote]

Same here with Karate Champ and Budokan. I loved Budokan for the PC that game is when I really started getting into fighters. Then "Fighting Street" (the original Street Fighter) came out in the Arcades and I was hooked. Though I was first hooked on Beat Em Ups like Kung-Fu Master and Double Dragon.

SF2 for me. I played the arcade version first, but when it came out for SNES, I played the shit out of it. I used to beat everyone's ass in the neighborhood; mainly because I was the only one who could do specials when I wanted to.

If I went back in time and challenged myself 15 years ago, I'd definitely lose to my younger self.

Almost off-topic, but not quite: we gotta get some serious LIVE thread action when Puzzle Fighter comes out next week! Haven't actually been online with any of y'all in a while (barely had a chance to touch my 360 in general for the last month or so) but I hope to change that. Hopefully I'll be hopping back and forth between Puzzle Fighter and Bomberman rooms reeeeeal soon.

[quote name='JEKKI']I'd say u aint played dat shyt!!

I said in the last thread, game changed A LOT.

u pretty much gotta relearn a lot of your stuff as well as learn to apply new shyt that the game offered, but it's real good tho[/QUOTE]

ASW doesn't need that kind of encouragement :p

like everyone else, I got hooked on SF2. but I had played others like Street Smart , Karate Champ, and SF1 before that. I remember liking Street Smart and SF1 but they didn't click like SF2.

Btw, which version of Puzzle FIghter is everyone getting? Seems like the XBL version is the way to go...
I haven't played anything online in forever.

Urban Champion on the NES taught me all I needed to know about spacing, priority, and mixups. :lol:

But the full competitiveness started with SFII. :cool:
(but why oh why was my main Zangief!? :cry: )

[quote name='B:L']Urban Champion on the NES taught me all I needed to know about spacing, priority, and mixups. :lol:

But the full competitiveness started with SFII. :cool:
(but why oh why was my main Zangief!? :cry: )[/QUOTE]

:lol: i forgot about Urban Champion. and I also had Game and Watch Boxing :hot:

Anyone remember being a young fighter dude... back when the hidden knowledge was not so widespread and the Internet was remote and strange...

You'd learn one special move and you'd be like "oh snap, it's ON now!" You'd pump those quarters in the machine, ready to kick some ass. You'd build your entire gameplan around hitting that one move, and of course you'd usually choke on some serious CPU ownage afterwards.

That happened to me a lot, but I'm sure I'm not the only one! Ha ha I was all like "NO ONE will stand a chance now that I can do a Spinning Bird Kick!"

[quote name='MadFlava']Same here with Karate Champ and Budokan. I loved Budokan for the PC that game is when I really started getting into fighters. Then "Fighting Street" (the original Street Fighter) came out in the Arcades and I was hooked. Though I was first hooked on Beat Em Ups like Kung-Fu Master and Double Dragon.[/quote]

Awesome I figured I was the only old guy that remebers Budokan.

It was way way better than anything in the arcades or NES at the time.
Probably the greatest pre SF2 fighting game.

Also, let's not forget One Must Fall: 2097 in 1994!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Anyone remember being a young fighter dude... back when the hidden knowledge was not so widespread and the Internet was remote and strange...

You'd learn one special move and you'd be like "oh snap, it's ON now!" You'd pump those quarters in the machine, ready to kick some ass. You'd build your entire gameplan around hitting that one move, and of course you'd usually choke on some serious CPU ownage afterwards.

That happened to me a lot, but I'm sure I'm not the only one! Ha ha I was all like "NO ONE will stand a chance now that I can do a Spinning Bird Kick!"[/QUOTE]

I ruled an entire arcade with this Sub-Zero combo in MK2: jump kick, ground freeze, upper cut, slide.

then someone smart would come along and jump before slipping on the ground freeze. if that happened, the pressure was really on for the match
"damn, he knows my secret!!!" :lol:

Edit: I just remembered my very first one on one fighting game:
karateka on the Apple ][-e
karateka_01.gif

in actuality, I started off on SFII on SNES and MK1 and MKII on genesis, but I couldn't get really into them because I never owned a system at the time... my friend had them and was a hardcore fighting freak and he lived a few miles away from me so i'd ride my bike to go play with him most of the time... he whooped me good.

My first fighter....wow, I'm young, so it wasn't that long ago...
Pretty sure it was Virtua Fighter 3 of all things :D

Anyway, so I grabbed WARTECH: Senko no Ronde yesterday. Anybody want to play some matches or something? Because well, nobody is ever online :D

i started my shit one summer in anaheim like the year or the year after it came out. would hit up the liquor store and try to learn new shit.. learning the special moves from hella random people. i remember the old ass indian dude who owned that liquor store taught me all of chun li's shit.

we got into money matching back then too.. sorta. we used to put up fuckin' marvel cards cuz we had no money.

[quote name='kristianator']
we got into money matching back then too.. sorta. we used to put up fuckin' marvel cards cuz we had no money.[/QUOTE]

POGS

[quote name='growlanser']Here is some Tekken DR Online Demonstration footage.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23899.html[/QUOTE]

from the sound of that it looks like a week from tommorow we will have it... man... I'm going to be so fucking busy... Monster Hunter Freedom 2, TekkenDR Online, college... plus september is going to suck as well due to Halo 3 and SKATE for me...

also for for asian:

pogs.jpg

man... pogs... crazy how much I still like those things. fond memorys.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
man... pogs... crazy how much I still like those things. fond memorys.[/QUOTE]

Amazing.

I liked it when schools across the country started banning them. Theft? Fights? Gambling? Fantastic.

[quote name='asianxcore']Amazing.

I liked it when schools across the country started banning them. Theft? Fights? Gambling? Fantastic.[/QUOTE]

psh. you haven't lived until you've had your wrist slit with a slap bracelet, noob.

TieDyedSlapBracelets.jpg

[quote name='Apossum']psh. you haven't lived until you've had your wrist slit with a slap bracelet, noob.

TieDyedSlapBracelets.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I oddly wish those things would come back... but this time as cell phones... :(

wow cell phone slap bracelets...good idea.

we used to take the colorful vinyl off of those things and just wear the bare metal.

hardcore?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']in actuality, I started off on SFII on SNES and MK1 and MKII on genesis, but I couldn't get really into them because I never owned a system at the time... my friend had them and was a hardcore fighting freak and he lived a few miles away from me so i'd ride my bike to go play with him most of the time... he whooped me good.[/quote]

Back when SFII came out for SNES I was the only one in my neighborhood that had the game. I remember buying it the first day it came out at Babbages. It was during the summer and for two months straight my friends would come over almost every single day and we would have 6-8 hour gaming sessions and tournaments. Some one would have to make a McDonalds run for lunch. It started out with just my brother and three of my friends but then word quickly got out that I had the SNES and the game. Pretty soon kids from my HS and their friends were coming over to play. Thankfully, we had a pretty large basement and a 32 inch TV so everyone could see the action.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=23502

Hori Wii Arcade Stick official (WHICH WE ALREADY KNEW)

Release date: 08/30/2007 (Japan)
Compatible with all Classic Controller games
Wiimote must be connected

I guess wireless is good but I'm not thrilled about the wiimote having to be connected. I wish I could use this for Capcom vs. Snk 2 EVO...but I guess the hori pad will have to suffice for that. I wonder if we will see Alpha Anthology or anything like that for the wii. I know Bleach and GG are coming.

moving from what got you started...

All fighting games have at least 3 major characters during matches... Fighter 1, Fighter 2, and the stage backdrop.

What are each of your favorite stages, overall, from the main fighters (just post one for each... dosn't matter what games though):

Tekken series: Tekken 4's basement fight club... I still think that stage needs a comeback in tekken 6 or later. It was so constraining and the interactivity with the crowd just kicked ass.

Soul Calibur series: probably in soul edge the original raft stage... was too awesome for words at the time.

Virtua Fighter series: Wolf's cage stage in VF4. The music was decent and the crowd was neato.

Street Fighter series: probably Guy's Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 stage... all the Final Fight references just kick ass.

Darkstalkers series: Dimitri's wasn't too bad... nothing ever amazing from this series.

Vs. Series: Definitely the bath house from MvC1. the fact that you could throw opponents into another scene rocked and the naked guy washing up in the back was a great touch.

KoF series: in KoF 98... the most badass one... the one in front of car traffic with the Neo Geo arcade in the back... the cool thing was also if you removed the sprite layers of the cars you could see mini versions of KoF characters doing famous animations like the Ralf/Clark entrance animation.

Guilty Gear series: hard to say... probably Venom's GGXX stage largely due to it having the best music i've heard in the series.

Mortal Kombat series: out of all fighters, this one is the hardest since almost all of the 2D MK's stages are classics... every stage in MKII rocked.

also... I keep finding different pics of this photo shoot, but this one was new to me and probably the hottest:

tekken2.jpg

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
also... I keep finding different pics of this photo shoot, but this one was new to me and probably the hottest[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamewad.com/girls-of-tekken-2447-p.html (NSFW)

There is the entire shoot.

Stages?

Street Fighter Series: Vega's Stage (HF)

Tekken: Most of my favorite ones come from T5DR, which also has stages from T5. The buddha statue stage, the moonlight stage w/ all the white flowers (?) and the Cathedral stage with the grey stone are my favorites.

Guilty Gear: I honestly have not played the game enough to have a favorite stage

VS: London and Nairobi (CVS2)

MK:: Hell (UMK3)

Tekken 2, mirror stage(final stage).
Tekken 3, King's stage.
Tekken 5: DR, Snow Castle
Street Fighter II, Las Vegas(Balrog)
Virtua Fighter 2, Shun Di's stage
Soul Blade/Edge, Li Long's stage
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Yun/Yang's stage
A bunch of the CVS2 stages...
Mortal Kombat, the pit !

CPS3 emulator now works on modded original Xboxes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfeE6ETIV8[/media]

also, anyone know of some good J-electronica groups? I'd love to pick up more songs from the artists that did the Tekken 5 and DR soundtracks... those guys are amazing... anything else is a plus as well...

DOOD~!!

u guys gotta see this shyt, it's hella tite!!

POTEGAMAN!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jun9CdQ4Lm8[/media]

it's so dope.... that I'ma post it again!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jun9CdQ4Lm8[/media]

Do you know what that was? The best mafuggin' combo video evaaah. I don't even play as Potemkin much less care about him, but that was fuckin' cool.

Damn the internetz are a pain in the ass up here. I don't know how the fuck i'm gonna get my 360 and PS3 hooked up to the internetz (I had to download all kinds of programs mandated by the school and apartment complex to let my computer access the internet, it was a HUGE pain in the ass).

here's to hoping that i can just plug in my router and get lucky.

been playing Bioshock up here. Diggin on it so far. I hate the little sentry bots :*(

Not really feeling the Balrog stage so much, the artwork is far to cartoony IMO. Will have to see it in action first though.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Damn the internetz are a pain in the ass up here. I don't know how the fuck i'm gonna get my 360 and PS3 hooked up to the internetz (I had to download all kinds of programs mandated by the school and apartment complex to let my computer access the internet, it was a HUGE pain in the ass).

here's to hoping that i can just plug in my router and get lucky.

been playing Bioshock up here. Diggin on it so far. I hate the little sentry bots :*(

Not really feeling the Balrog stage so much, the artwork is far to cartoony IMO. Will have to see it in action first though.[/QUOTE]

supposedly there's a way to get through all the red tape with school connections... never did it though so I don't know.

and yeah, that balrog stage is kinda iffy... why update the characters? the cars don't need spinners...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']supposedly there's a way to get through all the red tape with school connections... never did it though so I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...... I sure hope so. Any help from you or anyone in this thread would be greatly appreciated. It's been only 3 days but I miss XBL :cry:.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hmm...... I sure hope so. Any help from you or anyone in this thread would be greatly appreciated. It's been only 3 days but I miss XBL :cry:.[/QUOTE]

post a thread for this... I know that some other CAGs know how to get through it all, but I have no clue...

i did find this and it may help... don't know:

The easiest way is to assign an alternate MAC address to your 360, which will allow you to swap the Ethernet cord between it and your computer. Go to the System blade and the Network settings. Go to the advanced section, and you will see you can enter an Alternate MAC Address. Find the MAC address of your computer, and enter this into your 360. Finally, set all of your IP and DNS settings manually like you did on your computer, assuming that your MAC address is linked to your IP like most schools have it set up.

also:

1. on your pc go the the command prompt and type ipconfig/all
2. go to the network settings and type the information in on your 360
3. test network

note, to comand prompt in vista go to "start" and type in 'cmd'

also found out for myself my next semester wont be as damn hard as I was thinking it was. I had a personal talk with the dean and she decided I didn't need to take a required class that's hard as nails... yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back