Fighter Thread XXXVI - Oh go home, poopie pants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite being a UMK3 nut, I'm still undecided on the DS version. Single player is worthless, assuming they ported the AI from the original (which it sounds like they did). Local multiplayer is nice, but the only times I'm likely to find competition would be at one of the tournaments I go to - in which case, there's most likely a MK machine nearby anyway. WiFi is nice, but if I'm using the WiFi adaptor at home, I may as well just be playing the 360 version. So the only really worthwhile experience with this game would be when I have WiFi access outside the home, and that doesn't happen much.

So I dunno! Maybe I'll just wait for a good deal. Seems like it would just be nice to have, even if I don't end up using it much. Thanks for the impressions, Jim!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Despite being a UMK3 nut, I'm still undecided on the DS version. Single player is worthless, assuming they ported the AI from the original (which it sounds like they did). Local multiplayer is nice, but the only times I'm likely to find competition would be at one of the tournaments I go to - in which case, there's most likely a MK machine nearby anyway. WiFi is nice, but if I'm using the WiFi adaptor at home, I may as well just be playing the 360 version. So the only really worthwhile experience with this game would be when I have WiFi access outside the home, and that doesn't happen much.

So I dunno! Maybe I'll just wait for a good deal. Seems like it would just be nice to have, even if I don't end up using it much. Thanks for the impressions, Jim![/QUOTE]

I'd wait for a deal - I'm pretty sure it's going to drop fast.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']what's shown on the secondary screen?[/QUOTE]

A list of special moves and fatalities - don't you read my posts?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I did, but my problem is that I skim read sometimes unintentionally and totally missed the fact that you said it was on the secondary screen, though I did read that the moves were listed >_

Big update on Tekken 6 coming in a few hours, still converting the vids and getting the pictures ready... ANDDDDDDDD it's up... not all the vids yet though, sometime tomorrow.

My KOF XI hasn't shipped yet from Amazon. My Fire Pro Returns is listed as shipping soon.

Ninja Edit : FPR shipped. They send me an email at 9:55 PM.

Was thinking about this earlier..

What are your top 5 fighting games that don't feature Ryu, Subzero, Terry Bogard OR Heihachi Mishima?

I'll post up a list in a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is, my tentative list.... don't know if I'm forgetting anything.

1) Soul Calibur II (Arcade)
2) Marvel Superheroes (Arcade / Saturn)
3) Breakers Revenge (Arcade)
4) Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade / Saturn)
5) Guilty Gear X2 (Arcade / PS2)

Was thinking about having a Samurai Showdown in there, but I honestly never really got into them. X2 is on there because it's the only revision I ever really played at length.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Was thinking about this earlier..

What are your top 5 fighting games that don't feature Ryu, Subzero, Terry Bogard OR Heihachi Mishima?
[/QUOTE]

That's a hard question to answer, but I'll give it a go.

1) Marvel Super Heroes (Arcade/Saturn)
2) Guilty Gear XX Slash (Arcade/PS2)
3) Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (Arcade/PS2)
4) Darkstalkers 3 (aka Vampire Savior)
5) Soul Calibur I (Arcade/Dreamcast)

Hmm...

1) Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (you saw this coming from a mile away)
2) Melty Blood: Act Cadenza Rev. B
3) Virtua Fighter 5 Online (yeah, it's damn good.)
4) Soul Calibur I
5) Last Blade 2

But honestly, if there's no Terry Bogard, what's the point?

I'm assuming no big names, so GG and SC are out of it (and you guys saying SC those don't count... heihachi was in the series).

#1. Project Justice
#2. Rival Schools
#3. Last Blade 2 ( I suck ass at it )
#4. Power Stone 1
#5. Darkstalkers 3

I am sure I'm missing alot I never thought about...

I also left out other big name like SC & GG. With that said I should probably take out VF5, but I just can't. It needs recognition.

#1. Virtua Fighter 5 - Absolutly in love with it, favorite fighter ever.
#2. Toshinden 2 - I don't play it anymore now, but when it came out I played it soooo much.
#3. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure - WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY..... nuff said
#4. Samurai Showdown Tenka - Yep, I like it more than SamSho 2, I said it.
#5. Hokuto no Ken - Awsome 2D fighter that nobody ever plays

Last Blade, Melty Blood & Matrimelee are other honorable mentions. In fact Melty would be up there it's just that I don't own it and haven't really played it enough.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm assuming no big names, so GG and SC are out of it (and you guys saying SC those don't count... heihachi was in the series).[/QUOTE]

Fiiiiine. I took out SCII since Heihachi was in the PS2 version.

Party pooper.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm assuming no big names, so GG and SC are out of it (and you guys saying SC those don't count... heihachi was in the series).

#1. Project Justice
#2. Rival Schools
#4. Power Stone 1
#5. Darkstalkers 3

I am sure I'm missing alot I never thought about...[/QUOTE]

But Sol Badguy isn't really the most well-known of personalities...

If I had to take out GG and add another to the list, it'd be Project Justice.

I'm still wondering what would happen if Capcom actually decided to revive the Rival Schools series somehow. In terms of franchise, would it die quietly unnoticed, or would it sell at a standard good rate?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm assuming no big names, so GG and SC are out of it (and you guys saying SC those don't count... heihachi was in the series).

#1. Project Justice
#2. Rival Schools
#4. Power Stone 1
#5. Darkstalkers 3

I am sure I'm missing alot I never thought about...[/QUOTE]

But Sol Badguy isn't really the most well-known of personalities...

If I had to take out GG and add another to the list, it'd be Project Justice.

[quote name='jimfoley16']

Edit: Heihachi =/= SC2 character![/QUOTE]

:lol: my ass! he has a storyline, movelist, ending, and is even in the intro just like spawn and link... worthy enough to be a character. Also, the tekken series resides in the same universe as the SC series but at different time periods >_

[quote name='jimfoley16']Was thinking about this earlier..

[/QUOTE]

I dunno if I can do this in order.

1. Samurai Shodown (my fave switches around alot, right now it's probably Tenka)
2. Killer Instinct (certainly haven't played it recently but good god did I play it all the time when it was new)
3. Soul Calibur
4. Last Blade 2
5. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo (5 will probably replace it but I haven't played it yet)

The more I think about Guilty Gear, the more I think it's just too weird for me. I give it a spin every couple weeks but it's just not something I can bring myself to just sit around and play for hours.

Doesn't look that good because the flash washes out the black a bit, but....

tattoo004aq4.jpg

Side-Note: My leg isn't tumorous. That's a half flex of my calf muscle while I tried to reach down to get a picture. It was really difficult!

[quote name='jimfoley16']Doesn't look that good because the flash washes out the black a bit, but....

tattoo004aq4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Most people who get gaming tattoos get fucking lame tattoos. Which is why when tattoo discussions come up, my general response is "wow, that's stupid."

But man, I gotta say... that's damn cool.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm mostly impressed on how well colored it is... mainly his hair and glove. superb tattoo artist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the shading and everything is unbelievable in real life. My tattoo artist is super credited, nationally publicized etc...

I wouldn't go to a scrub! My other tattoos look even better, but they're not gaming related.....

Edit: Thanks Chac. It's good because people don't recognize it if they don't know, and it's easy to hide via pants. I can't have any highly visible tattoos due to me becoming a teacher next year, but I do have 3 so far and plan to get more. I'll probably get my next over Christmas break.

I also like knowing that Nina has a custom costume in Tekken 6 that's the saem of what she wore in Death by Degrees... yeah the game sucked, but I like how it expanded the tekken series a bit more.

That's a badass tattoo. The color and shading look great. How long ago did you get it done? I heard getting tattoos on you calf hurts.

When you're 60 years old you think you're still gonna like it? My wife would never let me have a tattoo. She thinks it's very "Yakuza" looking.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Side-Note: My leg isn't tumorous. That's a half flex of my calf muscle while I tried to reach down to get a picture. It was really difficult![/QUOTE]

was gonna say.. hope that wasn't the side shot of your ass and thigh, haha

Thanks for the comment regarding the tattoo. Like I said it looks great in real life when it's lotioned and everything. And yea Rodimus, I think I'll still love it. It's who I was at the time when I got it - regretting that would be like regretting decisions I've made in my life, which I don't at all. good or bad, everything I've done has turned me into who I am.

/cliche

but yea I got it like a week after I turned 19, so that was 3 years ago now.

On a side note, I'm gonna be in Chicago this summer to go to a ball game at Wrigley. Any Chi-Town area dudes wanna meet up somewhere and get some drinks (Chac, Apossum, whoever)? I know it's far away but I'm trying to plan it now, so let me know.

Rolento - I posted pictures of my (semi) new place on myspace. I remember you saying you wanted to check it out.

Edit: Anyone know where I can get a SF2 font pack that's compatible with windows? I need it for my new t-shirt design.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Rolento - I posted pictures of my (semi) new place on myspace. I remember you saying you wanted to check it out.

Edit: Anyone know where I can get a SF2 font pack that's compatible with windows? I need it for my new t-shirt design.[/QUOTE]

nice place. Sometime I gotta send you a poster I have that you would probably and could probably use on that wall:

18305-107180-1-street-fighter_400.jpg

it's the full thing though with all 3rd strike characters and alpha cast.

don't know if this place has a SF font:

http://www.dafont.com/

have a go.

also, in terms of PS3 themes, this site has some nice stuff, though there's a nice SRK theme... I'm going to see about making a CAG theme tonight and tommorow possibly.

http://www.psu.com/SRK--theme-142.php

Rolento, explain the Street Fighter comic book situation. How many issues are they into the series? I went to my local comic book store (Tate's Comics, ever been?) and I didn't see any. Plus the series isn't listed on the site I go to for my subscriptions. I'd like to read them but I can't find them.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Rolento, explain the Street Fighter comic book situation. How many issues are they into the series? I went to my local comic book store (Tate's Comics, ever been?) and I didn't see any. Plus the series isn't listed on the site I go to for my subscriptions. I'd like to read them but I can't find them.[/QUOTE]

I have the entire first series (other than issue #0), but after that I stopped for just dropping out of comics due to school. It's a great series, plus you get to see ryu in a tie kick balrog's gangsters' asses.

I have all the SF comics from Udon to date... + Graphic Novels/compilations... Its really good stuff. I'm sure there are tons of places to find the complete collection (hardcover/paperback) online... But I don't want to search myself and see the prices X_X ...

the sf comic is on hold until sf2 hd remix is done.. which blows. i've been consistently excited whenever a new issue is about to come out, and i'm barely excited about sf2hd.

rodimus, you might have to do the ol' back issue search online.. i think the first street fighter series (just named "street fighter") went up to 13.. and i forget the last number they released for volume 2 (now titled "street fighter 2" appropriately enough). they have a few trades, but i don't know what issues they cover.. i never bought those. what can also be tricky is that they switched publishers in the middle of one of the series'.. i forget which one. they went from devil's due publishing to their own udon entertainment. be careful you don't end up buying the street fighter comics published by malibu back in the day.. that shit was terrible, haha.

the writing in udon's street fighter is nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it's a really fun read and i would recommend it to any street fighter fan. the art is pretty consistently awesome. for those of you that dig alvin lee's art and have been wanting to see some new work by the man, pick up the new issue of marvel's heroes for hire, coming out this wednesday. it's pencilled by the man, alvin lee.

udon was really steamrolling it with street fighter stuff (simultaneously publishing darkstalkers, and eventually a few rival schools issues) and merchandise (shitload of action figures, busts, etc).. but it seems like they've just totally dropped off the map after they started working on hd remix. weird.

I wanna check out the SF comics as well. My brother works in a comic shop so that'll be easy.

As a matter of fact, Rodimus, the place he works at (www.comicmadness.com) does a bunch of mail order. I could definately get the skinny for you on what they have and the prices when I'm home for Thanksgiving break tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to find out. The place he works at is mad reasonable on prices and stuff generally and sometimes won't even charge you cover price.

Off topic, but whatever happened to the Okami artbook Udon was translating? I want that thing soooo bad. Maybe they're holding off for the Wii release? I don't wanna drop $50 on the j-version :(

on topic: NeoGeo BC is delayed until 12/04

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back