Fighting Thread XXXII - How, Exactly, Can Blood Melt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='gigan54']
and speaking of downtown, I found myself a nice little arcade over here on 3rd and Alameda. I checked it out with some buddies, and loved seeing NGBC and KOF XI machines set up by each other. oh but that wasn't the best part... the best part was... PROJECT JUSTICE in a big ol' screen! so I began the day with kyosuke , kyoko and roy... that terry bogard lookin fool. i like almost completely forgot how to play that game.
[/QUOTE]

sounds like a very good dream :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']some good news for you arcade stick lovers:

the Wii hori arcade stick is coming stateside this November for $49.99... not bad.

also, the VF5 360 stick is out this week, so get it if you have no DoA4 stick.[/QUOTE]

are you sure about the vf5 stick? i went to a couple EB's on the way home from work and none had it or any information about it in their computer

isn't on amazon either

[quote name='JEKKI']in all honesty, that link is a real no brainer. if u can land it once, you would have no reason to ever practice it.

another good one is CH ss+4, f,f+3, RDS standard juggles.

as markman said, ss+4 is a good pressure move, especially since ss+3 will leave u open for rape if blocked or whiffed.

damn tho, I gotta play me sum tekken again!!

markmang>> solly yo, I donno any import shops anywhere, I remember there was this on in Little Tokyo (Banzai anime??) that I got Christmas Nights from tho! also a lot of used jpop cds![/QUOTE]

that's the place i'm talking about. they have a bunch of j CDs and a pron sectoin in the back.

[quote name='rsigley']are you sure about the vf5 stick? i went to a couple EB's on the way home from work and none had it or any information about it in their computer

isn't on amazon either[/quote]

The GS.com website lists pre-release date as 9-7-07, pushed back from 8-7-07.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Damn, how do you find all of this stuff?[/QUOTE]

to be honest, I don't even know... it's usually just randomness I find myself getting into.

Woo Hoo! I just finished up my achievements for SFIIHF. I got the perfect world champion achievement. It was pretty crazy...you have to complete single-player arcade mode without losing a round. I had a double k.o. against Balrog of all people and then another one against Vega! I don't think I've ever had 2 in a game let alone back to back like that. Luckily it doesn't count as a round loss and I made quick work of Sagat and Bison. All 200 points unlocked! Now I'm ready for SSFIITHD.

I'm hoping these new Premium 360s have the new internal parts so I'll finally buy one. If I get one I'll be posting in the fighting threads a lot more since I'll be able to play newer fighting games, and I'll be able to play them online. I'm mainly looking forward to playing SSIITHD and VF5.

EDIT: ...and SF Anniversary Collection. I've been waiting until I got an Xbox or 360 and buying it for Xbox so it'll be cheaper and have online.

So how's the Fatal Fury Battle collection for someone who pretty much just loved Mark of the Wolves and never played the rest of the series?

I still get pissed when I think about how I passed up $10 copies of MotW and Last Blade 2 for dreamcast on clearance at Best Buy years back..

I believe I may have passed on a $30 Radiant Silvergun at an EB even more years back.. fuck.

don't know if this will show up on here, but I love the first few frames:

Fighting_Evolution__ZANGIEF_by_UdonCrew.jpg

[quote name='jer7583']So how's the Fatal Fury Battle collection for someone who pretty much just loved Mark of the Wolves and never played the rest of the series[/QUOTE]

If you've only played MOTW, the previous FF games will feel like a GIGANTIC step backwards. They aren't nearly as fun or as fluid as MOTW or even the later Real Bout games.

I'm sure Rodimus will be happy to see Zangief surfing.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']don't know if this will show up on here, but I love the first few frames:

[/QUOTE]

That's awesome; I love Udon's Capcom stuff (I have the Eternal Challenge artbook). I wonder where that's from; my guess is Street Fighter Legends if it isn't in the main SF or SF II comic.

On the topic of fighters, I'm really looking forward to the online patch for T5 like everybody else, not just for the online play of course, but for the practice mode, which I really missed. I'm going to have to use that a bit to get ready to play some of you guys online. ;o

Until then I'll keep myself busy with Virtua Fighter 5, which I'm finding much easier to play with a stick than a pad. I didn't have a very good success rate pressing O + X + [ ] on the Sixaxis.

[quote name='Vendetta']That's awesome; I love Udon's Capcom stuff (I have the Eternal Challenge artbook). I wonder where that's from; my guess is Street Fighter Legends if it isn't in the main SF or SF II comic.

On the topic of fighters, I'm really looking forward to the online patch for T5 like everybody else, not just for the online play of course, but for the practice mode, which I really missed. I'm going to have to use that a bit to get ready to play some of you guys online. ;o

Until then I'll keep myself busy with Virtua Fighter 5, which I'm finding much easier to play with a stick than a pad. I didn't have a very good success rate pressing O + X + [ ] on the Sixaxis.[/QUOTE]

it was zangief's ending in capcom fighting jam,

That's weird, I though Zangief was...you know.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And yeah, I unless you're a real FF or 2D fighting game fan, anything pre-MOTW will seem like a letdown.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it was zangief's ending in capcom fighting jam,[/QUOTE]

Ugh, Fighting Jam. Even at the $4 I paid for it new, I still felt ripped off. Maybe seeing Zangief's ending in the game will make me feel I got my money's worth.

[quote name='Vendetta']Ugh, Fighting Jam. Even at the $4 I paid for it new, I still felt ripped off. Maybe seeing Zangief's ending in the game will make me feel I got my money's worth.

[quote name='jimfoley16']That game isn't that bad. Honestly. I can down with it every once in awhile. I think that people were just expecting alot more than they delivered.[/QUOTE]

I think we have agreed on this before :)

It was definitely a letdown considering everything that Capcom put out (fighting game wise) before it. It definitely feels like some weird-ass Mugen game, but it's fun once and a while. I would definitely play this game before, I dunno........Art of Fighting?

Then again I was pretty happy that Jedah was in the game.

I'm in Los Angeles right now(away from home) at a Sony media conference for some upcoming PS3 games, sorry I couldn't answer the PMs sent to me over the last few days... I gotta make this quick but before shipping I can get them for $13. Let me know if you guys are still interested later on... I should be posting/browsing here regularly Saturday afternoon...

Hello all.

I recently got back into fighting games and an I need some help playing 2D fighters with an arcade stick. I have the Tekken 10 year anniversary stick and that HFS3 ( i know they are not the best but hey).

I was playing KOF 2006 (yes it's 3D but it plays like a 2D game) last night using Terry but for the life of me I could not perform a lot of the moves with any ease. I did this for any hour before deciding to switch to my PS3 pad. Once I made the switch things were much much much easy. I could string together combo like they were second nature.

Now, I really want to get better using a stick so I am asking for any help or tips from how to cradle the stick, finger placements, anything.

Thanks

nobody can really tell u how to use a stick...

personally I place my left hand on the actual joystick, and my right hand to press the buttons with my fingers.

but you should do whatever is most comfortable for you.

that and practice of course.

Hmm... well let's see... my problem with the stick at first -- and this was the one thing that prevented me from using it well, was that I was hitting the attack button before I finished making the appropriate motion with the stick. If you can't pull a move off consistently, make sure that you're doing the full motion before hitting the attack button. Honestly, just try and slow things down, play a game like SFA Anthology that's slower paced, and get the basics down first.

Thanks guys.

Chacrana, I will follow your suggestion.

Are there any folks here that prefer the d-pad to a stick for 2D fighters?

I agree with JEKKI. The only way you'll get better/comfortable with using a 'cade stick is just practicing.

Not to sound like a dick, but I don't know if ANY of the regulars here prefer pad over stick.

One of my problems adapting to stick was making sure it was perfectly positioned on the floor. I was playing 3rd Strike one day and noticed that none of my moves were coming out. I looked down and the damn stick slid a little bit. What can I say? I like to jerk my joysticks a little harder than the average man.

As for stick vs pad. Some people will swear by pads and some will swear by sticks. Use whatever is comfortable for you. I like using the old Saturn pads but I'm learing to use the stick on all the newer games. I do occasionally cheat and hook up a SF pad.......

[quote name='Logg']I am slowly trying to get all the costumes in DoA 4 since I love that game. I do suck at it though.[/quote]
Getting the costumes is fun (even though sadly, most of them are the same for each character apart from colour) but its a HUGE pain in the ass to get the unlockable characters costumes because you have to complete time attack, which is annoying.

Ok, sooo..I'll be getting a fighting stick soon. But I need a reccomendation.
Preferrably a cheap(ish) reccomendation (i.e.-$50 or so). I'll pick up the Virtua Fighter stick for the 360, but right now I'm looking for a PS3/PS2 stick.
I'll just list a few out and I'd appreciate it if you guys could let me know which stick is the best for a beginner arcade stick user and somebody who wants longevity with the stick.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-22b8.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-1o24.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-1rjw.html

For the last one, is it worth spending that extra money?

The first one... no. Second one, maybe. It's good, but I prefer something heavier that won't slide around. The Virtua Stick looks to be the absolute best stick you're considering by a mile. I haven't actually used it, but it seems like it's just about perfect given the weight and the parts used. Though I recall that it was supposed to have some minor issues with Tekken 5 DR or something... perhaps somebody can clarify that.

I haven't heard anything good yet about the Hori Fighting Stick for PS3. Didn't Apossum get one?

The Saulabi (first link), I think MarkMan mentioned he was going to review on SDTekken in the near future.

The VSH does have problems with T5DR (as Markman has mentioned on a couple occasions). Here is a link to his review on SDT:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/ps3-vshg/virtua-stick-high-grade-review/

How much are you looking to spend? As Chac may agree on, the HRAP3 might be a good investment for you. If I'm not mistaken the buttons are quick disconnects so you can replace them with arcade parts if necessary

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-15-real+arcade+pro-70-1rrr.html

Another review, this time of the HRAP3 at SDT:
http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/ps3-hrap3/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-review/

Yeah, seriously, I dunno if there's anyone who would tell you that there's something better than the HRAP out there. There's not.

I'm HOPING to spend $50 or so before shipping. However, if its REALLY worth it to spend the extra $40, I'd think about it. I'd rather spend $50 because I'm also getting a stick for the 360 for DOA4/VF5.

As is stands I could get the 2nd one I posted (Chacy says its good but light, would that really be a bother?) for about $70 CDN shipped. Would a store like EB Games have it in store?

EDIT: And if its not anywhere here, I REALLY don't want to get that expensive stick. I'd pay 90 MAYBE for it, but its $50 shipping, plus $20 in customs= NOT WORTH IT.

Hmm... well let me put it this way. If I were to get an arcade stick for the PS3 right now, there's absolutely no way in hell I'd get the HFS3 over the HRAP3. The difference in weight, build quality, and all that nonsense more than justify the price difference for me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Hmm... well let me put it this way. If I were to get an arcade stick for the PS3 right now, there's absolutely no way in hell I'd get the HFS3 over the HRAP3. The difference in weight, build quality, and all that nonsense more than justify the price difference for me.[/quote]
Cool. But do you know if this stick sells in places like EB Games, or would the best way for me to get it be Play Asia?

The HRAP, you'll have to import via Play-Asia or someplace online. Actually, I think there was a deal listed on sdtekken.com (not too dramatic of a deal, still expensive.) The HFS3 is available at EBGames/Gamestop.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']new SCIV Scans... Sophitia, Cassandra, and Voldo:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4791_en.html[/QUOTE]

That shit looks gooooood. I didn't play too much of SC3 (even though I own it) but I'm excited about SC4.

Concerning 'cade sticks.....there are very few exceptions to the price rule. You pretty much get what you pay for. The PS2 Tekken 5 stick was a big surprise to me and might be one of the few exceptions. I was expecting it to be a flaming pile (considering all U.S out-of-the-box sticks stink) and it exceeded my expectations.

There is a reason why the Agetec "Green Goblin" Dreamcast stick is sought after over something like a random 3rd party stick with a rumble function. If you want longevity in your stick, you definitely have to put some money into getting a quality product.

I paid about $130+ for my custom 'cade stick before shipping and after a year of play it still holds up. The only problem I had was the washers on the stick coming loose, but that was more of the builder's fault. It was quickly fixed with a couple hits of hot glue.

Also do you know if you will be playing competitively at all? Maybe at local tourneys, in-house tourneys, console tourneys? If so you might want to invest in a good PS2 stick and get the PS2/PS3 Pelican converter. The only reason I haven't bought a PS3-Only stick yet was because well you can only use it for PS3.

[quote name='asianxcore']That shit looks gooooood. I didn't play too much of SC3 (even though I own it) but I'm excited about SC4.

Concerning 'cade sticks.....there are very few exceptions to the price rule. You pretty much get what you pay for. The PS2 Tekken 5 stick was a big surprise to me and might be one of the few exceptions. I was expecting it to be a flaming pile (considering all U.S out-of-the-box sticks stink) and it exceeded my expectations.

There is a reason why the Agetec "Green Goblin" Dreamcast stick is sought after over something like a random 3rd party stick with a rumble function. If you want longevity in your stick, you definitely have to put some money into getting a quality product.

I paid about $130+ for my custom 'cade stick before shipping and after a year of play it still holds up. The only problem I had was the washers on the stick coming loose, but that was more of the builder's fault. It was quickly fixed with a couple hits of hot glue.

Also do you know if you will be playing competitively at all? Maybe at local tourneys, in-house tourneys, console tourneys? If so you might want to invest in a good PS2 stick and get the PS2/PS3 Pelican converter. The only reason I haven't bought a PS3-Only stick yet was because well you can only use it for PS3.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get your custom stick made?

Regarding you last statement. I was not sure if you were referring to using a PS3 stick for only PS3 games, because the firmware 1.80 and above allows the use of PS3 sticks with PS2 games.

[quote name='growlanser']Where do you get your custom stick made?

Regarding you last statement. I was not sure if you were referring to using a PS3 stick for only PS3 games, because the firmware 1.80 and above allows the use of PS3 sticks with PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

Koi over at the www.shoryuken.com boards built mine. If you visit their trading forums, you'll see stick builders selling their stick building services. Both custom and pre-built stuff. It costs a little more but that's because I asked him to make me custom artwork from scratch.

Here's are pics of the one Koi built for me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/xfrankx/FrankiesArcadeStick1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/xfrankx/FrankiesArcadeStick2.jpg

For the PS3 stick, I was referring to how it will only play PS1/PS2/PS3 games on a PS3. Let's say for instance someone locally has a console tourney that is running DC's and PS2's (which is the usual), getting myself a PS3 stick wouldn't do any good. With a good PS2 stick, I can get converters to make it work on both DC and PS3.

I'm fine with anyone buying a PS3 stick, don't get me wrong. It all depends really on what kind of plans you have for it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, seriously, I dunno if there's anyone who would tell you that there's something better than the HRAP out there. There's not.[/QUOTE]nope... custom built is better than anything!

speaking of which, this new site selling parts is having a sale on happs.

link: http://www.lizardlick.com/

I'ma exercise my new raise and buy me a P360.

I jus needa think of a theme to build the stick around so I can buy associated buttons as well.

OH yeah!

and today I went to the arcade for my first time this week.

but after about 2~2.5 weeks I'ma tell u guys...

you're gonna really love Accent Core.

I donno if I am saying this becoz I havent played GG in years and it's jus so fresh to me, or if the new revision really did make a vast improvement over the game.

regardless, tech throws, slash back, and most of all Force Break (!) moves make the game much more fun!

it sux that lots of ppl dont play GG tho. I heard last week the ranbato got canceled coz only 6 ppl showed up... I wonder what's gonna happen to it this saturday??

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok, sooo..I'll be getting a fighting stick soon. But I need a reccomendation.
Preferrably a cheap(ish) reccomendation (i.e.-$50 or so). I'll pick up the Virtua Fighter stick for the 360, but right now I'm looking for a PS3/PS2 stick.
I'll just list a few out and I'd appreciate it if you guys could let me know which stick is the best for a beginner arcade stick user and somebody who wants longevity with the stick.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-22b8.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-1o24.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-1rjw.html

For the last one, is it worth spending that extra money?[/QUOTE]

I recommend the hori FS3 as a good beginner stick. It's the same thing as the DoA stick for the 360-- solid, nothing special, a little light, but a stick that won't fail you. Then, if you outgrow it and find you're really into sticks, go for an HRAP.

I think the FS3 is $39 at EB/GS these days, and you could get one for less than $50 easily on ebay. of course, if money isn't an issue, just get the hrap :)

Jekki what arcade in socal has guilty gear accent core? I"ve been looking for some competition but didn't know any arcades around here had it. Last place I went to was arcade infinity, to play some slash

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back