Final Fantasy IV Advance $26.88 at Target

Dezuria

CAGiversary!
Target is getting Final Fantasy IV Advance on Dec. 14 and it will be on sale for $26.88. Super Mario Bros. 3 will also be on sale for that price. :)

[quote name='Drahken']You can switch out your charectors later in the game. Plus there is a new 50 level dungeon for the ultimate weapons for the new charectors you can control to the end. Plus that's what gameboy players are for, for Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

50 level dungeon? :shock:

I'm so there; this is my favorite FF.

I'm not sure how the graphics are "improved" over the PSX version, but I'll be more than happy to avoid the load times for the chance to play through the original version of FFIV (which, as many of us know, is not what we played on the SNES).

The game looks tight.
I am glad Square is bringing all these back.
I read today that Valkyrie Profile is comming to the PSP.

[quote name='Msia']The only "load" times you speak of is only when saving/loading data. Second point, the only thing this version has over the PSOne Chronicles Edition is two new dungeons and the ability to change your party at the end of the game. Please get your facts straight next time, thanks.[/QUOTE]

A) You're right, the load times aren't too bad in the FFIV port. Chrono Trigger and FFVI (on the FF Anthology) have some horrendous load times though.

B) They've also updated some graphics and added portraits to the game text, nothing gameplay wise that you haven't mentioned though.

For more info, read here:
http://gba.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3145957

[quote name='BIG5']I have the PSOne version and I've never really played it, but I hear the load times for battles are pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

That's sort of true. On the original release of the Final Fantasy Collection in Japan (FF4, FF5, FF6 in a 3 CD Package) FF4 was the worst of the three, considering it had major load times between...well, everything in the game. It was quite a poor conversion, really. When we finally received FF4 in Final Fantasy Chronicals in the US, Square REALLY went to town in fixing up FF4. All of the loading issues were almost completely annihilated with the worst load times being around 1.5 seconds, max. They put a lot of work into it and it shows.

Don't ask me how I came at that load time. All you need to know is that I spent a good 40 hours not playing through the game, but to test whether or not a particular battle in a particular area fairly early on the game is winable. Sure, it's vague, but you'll know when you get there. I'm proud to say that it is, although it doesn't change the story any. It just makes me laugh, though, when all is said and done!

Unfortunately, while FF4 got the cleaning up it deserved, Chrono Trigger suffered from pretty much all of the loading issues that the Japanese FF4 release had. You would think that Square would devote time to fixing up both games but...eh.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']A) You're right, the load times aren't too bad in the FFIV port. Chrono Trigger and FFVI (on the FF Anthology) have some horrendous load times though.

B) They've also updated some graphics and added portraits to the game text, nothing gameplay wise that you haven't mentioned though.

For more info, read here:
http://gba.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3145957[/QUOTE]
Thanks I wasnt aware of the updated portraits, etc. You are absoluetly correct about FF VI Anthologies though. That game has some shitty load times. FF IV's only serious load times in Chronicles occur when saving/loading data. There are none to speak of other than that.

Really, it's worth playing on a portable or using a GB Player instead of opting for the PS1 versions. The FFIV that the PS1 has horrible graphics that haven't aged well at all... these graphics are far better so it's at least playable now (I really hated FFIV's graphics for some reason.) And there's the new dungeon too, but the load times of the PS1 version are what killed it. I'm glad we're getting a superior version of FFIV for the Advance and I'm definitely buying FFV and FFVI the second they come out for the GBA as well... and I really hope they port Chrono Trigger to the DS or the GBA because that game had some terrible, terrible load times on the PS1.

[quote name='Chacrana']Really, it's worth playing on a portable or using a GB Player instead of opting for the PS1 versions. The FFIV that the PS1 has horrible graphics that haven't aged well at all... these graphics are far better so it's at least playable now (I really hated FFIV's graphics for some reason.) And there's the new dungeon too, but the load times of the PS1 version are what killed it. I'm glad we're getting a superior version of FFIV for the Advance and I'm definitely buying FFV and FFVI the second they come out for the GBA as well... and I really hope they port Chrono Trigger to the DS or the GBA because that game had some terrible, terrible load times on the PS1.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that FFIII is coming out on DS.

This new version also has a new, better translation and many of the new events are supposed to give more background on the characters and such. Plus there are supposed to be some new trails in the new dungeons that don't invovle battling (like flying airships or something). Again, most of this is described in the 1up article. But this Advance version has had TONS added to it. It's worth it to upgrade from the PSX version and it won't cost you much anyway with all the BB coupons flying around.

[quote name='Chacrana']I hope that the better translation leaves in the Spoony Bard line just for nostalgia.[/QUOTE]
It does. But they change Meteo to Meteor.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I wonder if that's in-store as well. And can you pricematch and use the $10 BB coupon?[/QUOTE]
Coupon's for 29.99+

[quote name='botticus']Coupon's for 29.99+[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh....

D'oh! (I knew that...:dunce: ) I guess BB wil still be the best price, if it's $30 there.

I've been ranting for at least 2 years about how this should be on GBA, and that i'd kill for a portable copy (Now, i'd kill for Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Illusion of Gaia on the same cart.. bootleg or not, I WANT THAT!).. and now it's finally here. I was so excited at the announcement.. hype's at an all time high. Like many of you, this is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy. I have the MP3 soundtrack of it that I made on my PC, I have the piano soundtrack, I have the celtic soundtrack.. I could never beat this game, but it is my absolute all time favorite.. Cecil.. Kain.. Rosa.. Palom and Parom.. the old fart wizard.. Dark Cecil.. Someone said the game was 15 years old and i'm thinkin' man, what's that guy on.. but it is! Holy crap.

Don't get me wrong, FF3/6 or whatever it was was fun (especially the guy in your party that gambled), but FF2/4 is where it's at. The SNES is in storage (along with FF2, FF3, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger), so I haven't played this in a while except for the rom, which isn't the same. I.. cannot.. wait. The only thing that's bad is that this is coming out literally on the very last day of school, and I wanted to get it to play between classes. :dunce:

[quote name='Scorch']I've been ranting for at least 2 years about how this should be on GBA, and that i'd kill for a portable copy (Now, i'd kill for Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Illusion of Gaia on the same cart.. bootleg or not, I WANT THAT!).. and now it's finally here. I was so excited at the announcement.. hype's at an all time high. Like many of you, this is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy. I have the MP3 soundtrack of it that I made on my PC, I have the piano soundtrack, I have the celtic soundtrack.. I could never beat this game, but it is my absolute all time favorite.. Cecil.. Kain.. Rosa.. Palom and Parom.. the old fart wizard.. Dark Cecil.. Someone said the game was 15 years old and i'm thinkin' man, what's that guy on.. but it is! Holy crap.

Don't get me wrong, FF3/6 or whatever it was was fun (especially the guy in your party that gambled), but FF2/4 is where it's at. The SNES is in storage (along with FF2, FF3, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger), so I haven't played this in a while except for the rom, which isn't the same. I.. cannot.. wait. The only thing that's bad is that this is coming out literally on the very last day of school, and I wanted to get it to play between classes. :dunce:[/QUOTE]

So... who are you going to kill?:lol:

I can get FF 4 & DKC 3 at CC for $19.49 Each but i don't have any money left for Animal Crossing (DS) and Mario Kart (DS)..........Decission....Decission.......:(

[quote name='Masterkyo']I can get FF 4 & DKC 3 at CC for $19.49 Each but i don't have any money left for Animal Crossing (DS) and Mario Kart (DS)..........Decission....Decission.......:([/QUOTE]

Just be sure to get FF4 at least! ;) Anything else is up to you. If DKC 3 is part of a sale, go for that, save the money. AC and MK are always going to be expensive.

[quote name='Maxim726X']Reviews...? The game is 15 years old.... IMO it's the best FF. Go and pick it up as soon as possible; you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]It has ATB I never really liked ATB although I'll give it another chance.

Got it at CC for $25. Will play it at work later this week. Due to screwy difficulty level and kind of a light & basic story, it's not as good as FFVI. But the battle system is better, and 5 character battles rock. And the story is very good for its era (kind of like Dragon Warrior IV on NES)

Now where's Dragon Warrior 5&6 Squenix! And Chrono Trigger!

Any details on the slowdown? I just want to beat the fucking Soul of Rebirth on FFII so I can get to this; damned wanting to complete my bestiary!

[quote name='mykevermin']Any details on the slowdown? I just want to beat the fucking Soul of Rebirth on FFII so I can get to this; damned wanting to complete my bestiary![/QUOTE]
My battle meters pause once every couple rounds, not sure if thats the slowdown everyone has reported. It's annoying at first, but you kinda get over it. It's not as if anything is going on in the foreground to cause it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Any details on the slowdown? I just want to beat the fucking Soul of Rebirth on FFII so I can get to this; damned wanting to complete my bestiary![/QUOTE]

The battles feel alot slower then they should be... the game kind of stutters at times, not sure if that's just the limits of the GBA, but I highly doubt it.

Also, this game is alot easier then it should be... unless I somehow became a FF 4 master, I am breezing through this game like nobody's business.

Did target ever get these in, i was there at 10am on wednesday to buy this game, and the stupid employee made up some story about the truck not coming till later in the day.

Today i go in and no sign of the game whatsoever, no signs or anything. Im really mad since i have the 10$ coupon from the gameboy micro to use on this game.

[quote name='SaraAB']Did target ever get these in, i was there at 10am on wednesday to buy this game, and the stupid employee made up some story about the truck not coming till later in the day.

Today i go in and no sign of the game whatsoever, no signs or anything. Im really mad since i have the 10$ coupon from the gameboy micro to use on this game.[/QUOTE]
I saw them at my Target yesterday.

Well the Run feature seems to speed things up quite a bit but the game does slow down for me during battles and I don't remember it used to. The music seems a bit muffled and not as clear as it used to be but I assume that's because of a crappy sound processor on the GBA. Currently I'm on mount ordeals leveling up with all charectors 20+ and I'm only at about 4 hours play time. I noticed they made it so the dancers don't strip anymore like they did in Hard type and the PS1 port. So I'm starting to wonder if this is a hybrid of easy and hard type together.

[quote name='mykevermin']They don't strip? While I wouldn't give two shits normally, I am a FF purist; do they just dance now?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same as in FF2 US

bread's done
Back