Final Fantasy IX (PS Greatest Hits) $14.99 + FREE Shipping with Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iiiweaponiii']best FF of all time!!:applause:( in my opinion)[/QUOTE]

Tied with VI, those are the two everyone must play from this series. I used to play through IX once a year but I've been busy so I might just play through it during spring break this year.

I didn't care much for this game. They throw in the makings of a subtle, unassuming beginning, then interject all these ridiculous ideas--clones, alternate dimensions, Quena--and tack on a final boss that has almost no impact on the events of the story whatsoever. How are any of the characters relatable, aside for maybe Vivi among the angsty crowd that'd find Squall equally iconic? The music was good, and Tetra Master was okay, but really? This is definitely not the best Final Fantasy game. Even FF8 with its broody main character, time-skipping, and questionable political intrigue was better than this.

[quote name='Blade']I didn't care much for this game. They throw in the makings of a subtle, unassuming beginning, then interject all these ridiculous ideas--clones, alternate dimensions, Quena--and tack on a final boss that has almost no impact on the events of the story whatsoever. How are any of the characters relatable, aside for maybe Vivi among the angsty crowd that'd find Squall equally iconic? The music was good, and Tetra Master was okay, but really? This is definitely not the best Final Fantasy game. Even FF8 with its broody main character, time-skipping, and questionable political intrigue was better than this.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Triple Triad! That was pretty boss in FFVIII. Oh, and Laguna.

My favorite video game. ever. Loved it so much that I even did an Excalibur II run. Those who have not played it...play this game now.

[quote name='Blade']I didn't care much for this game. They throw in the makings of a subtle, unassuming beginning, then interject all these ridiculous ideas--clones, alternate dimensions, Quena--and tack on a final boss that has almost no impact on the events of the story whatsoever. How are any of the characters relatable, aside for maybe Vivi among the angsty crowd that'd find Squall equally iconic? The music was good, and Tetra Master was okay, but really? This is definitely not the best Final Fantasy game. Even FF8 with its broody main character, time-skipping, and questionable political intrigue was better than this.[/QUOTE]

As far as IX's final boss is concerned
Wasn't Necron the Lifa Tree itself? I know it kind of comes out of nowhere in the game but I'm pretty sure it's alluded to being the Lifa Tree defending itself from destruction.

VIII was a mess of a game and I can't see how anyone could argue any other game makes less sense.

I wish they would remake the ps1 games, starting with VII. I keep on holding off buying a physical copy of VII since I figure they will finally remake it.

[quote name='bruceg']I wish they would remake the ps1 games, starting with VII. I keep on holding off buying a physical copy of VII since I figure they will finally remake it.[/QUOTE]

It's been 15 years since the game came out, just buy it already.

I've collected new copies of all the other ones, but a new copy of VII is still too much for me. Guess I'll have to be happy with my digital version for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ohnoitschris']And you guys juuuuuuuuuuust missed it being on sale for $5 on PSN a few weeks ago. :)[/QUOTE]

$7.50 for a new copy from Square Enix during their sale $2.50 for me is a good price to pay for a physical copy over a digital

greatest hits has lower resell value. I'd suggest buying the black label of this game if you're looking for a physical copy.

[quote name='archerbro74']greatest hits has lower resell value. I'd suggest buying the black label of this game if you're looking for a physical copy.[/QUOTE]

That depends on whether you are buying it to play or to collect. For a collection or to resell, black label is definitely preferred, but if you just want to play the game it doesnt really matter.

[quote name='archerbro74']greatest hits has lower resell value. I'd suggest buying the black label of this game if you're looking for a physical copy.[/QUOTE]

They have a higher resale, but at this point you have to pay so much to get one in the first place that it doesn't matter.

[quote name='ohnoitschris']And you guys juuuuuuuuuuust missed it being on sale for $5 on PSN a few weeks ago. :)[/QUOTE]
That's a good deal. :)

But I gameshared it along with 6 other FF games in that sale for $6 total. True CAG bizness. ;)

Is it really a deal when this game has been at this price or lower for at least 5 years? Not every game 14.99 or less deserves to be called a deal.

This may technically be a "deal" since it's not MSRP, but actually this game has been at this price point on Amazon for years now... Same with FF8, FF Anthology, and FF Chronicles (all PS1, all Greatest Hits versions).

The only PS1 FF to retain any sort of value was FF7. And maybe black label (non-GH) versions of some of the others.

As a side note, I got FF IX black label the year it came out as a Christmas gift. I played it a few hours and then lost interest for a long time. I kept telling myself I would get back to it...

Turns out I didn't get around to restarting it until last year, LOL. That's like 10 years after it was released? Maybe longer? But I finally beat it, I'm happy to say. Though honestly, it's just an average FF in my opinion.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Game is 19.99 black label at a local store and I don't need to deal with amazons shitty shipping. Not paying for prime, of course.[/QUOTE]

Their shipping is decent.

How often do these go on sale on the PSN? I intend to get a PSP/Vita/something down the road and now that a poster has alerted me to the fact it's been on sale before I wanna make sure I'm alert for the next $5 sale if they do them sometimes. I have a physical copy but I definitely want VII, VIII, and IX from the PSN if I can get them cheap.

[quote name='boylover']This may technically be a "deal" since it's not MSRP, but actually this game has been at this price point on Amazon for years now... Same with FF8, FF Anthology, and FF Chronicles (all PS1, all Greatest Hits versions).

The only PS1 FF to retain any sort of value was FF7. And maybe black label (non-GH) versions of some of the others.[/QUOTE]

Shockingly, those games you just listed are no longer for swale from Amazon first party. They must have gone out of stock recently. I guess now that they can sell them digitally, Squeenix is finally turning off the "physical copy" firehose.

Though it looks like physicaly copies of things are still available in their online store for $15 each... Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Anthology, and Chronicles, etc... it looks like VIII and IX are gone, they used to be there.

It's neat to have the game on the original console, however I think having this as a digital file for the PS3 or PS4 would be more useful as my PS1 is collecting dust at the moment.

bread's done
Back