Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - $39.99 + free ship Outpost.com

I actually cancelled my preorder after getting that email. Damn, I wish I had some self control! :(

I ended up just ordering it (again) from Gamestop, they have free 3 day shipping on it. It's a shame it costed me like $12 more after tax.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']
Besides $600 wouldnt be all you'd be paying to get a PS3 + this game on launch day. You have to add tax + the cost of the game itself so that's over $700, and add on the fact that if you're stupid enough to buy a Sony system on launch day there's a good chance you may be paying $600 AGAIN sometime in the future for a new one when the first one breaks. So that means you're paying over $1,300 for this game in my eye.

Plus, some of you are saying Sony should get on the ball and make this remake to help PS3 sales. But last I checked this game is made by Square-Enix and it's their decision to do the remake, not Sonys.[/quote]
Two things. First, I've bought every console since I've been old enough to buy them myself (SNES and up) on launch day and have not had one fail yet. $1300 dollars? Hardly.

Second, as I mentioned previously to someone who claimed "...sony has no say so with a remake of a Square Enix game...", let me quote myself:

[quote name='nathansu']It doesn't exactly work that way. Having worked in the games industry for a few years - publishers that push big numbers on particular consoles (e.g., SquareEnix) are pressured _heavily_ by the console manufacturer to release games that have a good track record (read: franchises that have sold well in the past). In fact, they will sometimes cough up dev costs to get that title up and running, further giving the publisher/dev a reason to go through with a certain game.

Also - without Sony's thumbs up on any game, it doesn't get released for that console. So in fact, Sony is the _perfect_ entity to be yelling at in this case.[/quote]
Please have a little more background knowledge about a subject before you go off spouting off about it. There is no reason to believe first gen consoles automatically break (although there are always problems at launch), and absolutely no reason to think Sony can't throw weight around regarding a FFVII remake - it is their console, in fact. If they think a FFVII remake (or any other remake, for that matter) would pull a lot of gamers away from buying one console or another (not sure it would), they could very easily convince SE that a remake was quite a good idea (with standard plusses such as higher royalties off of sales, funding dev/production,etc.)

For every person that says a remake would be a good idea there still a dozen reasons why it wouldnt from a buisness standpoint. If Squareenix themeselves haven't come up with the idea first there MUST be a reason why they havent put the wheels in motion and the only logical assumption is that they feel there simply isnt enough money to be made from it.

Yet.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Couple of comments:

I had high hopes for this game, but Ive been hearing from people that this is worst game of the year. Top it off with low reviews, and I'm going to wait for sub $20. I had my money saved back to purchase it day one but I decided to spend it elsewhere.

The game I'm looking forward to now in the FFVII series is Crisis Core on PSP. I can't believe more people aren't stoked out of their mind for this one. I've seen many screenshots and it looks awesome.

FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time. That said, I can't understand how some of you are saying you'd plop down SIX HUNDRED FREAKIN DOLLARS for a remake of it. It's already perfect as it is, although I would definetely play the remake if they did it I won't buy an expensive ass PS3 JUST to do it. Besides $600 wouldnt be all you'd be paying to get a PS3 + this game on launch day. You have to add tax + the cost of the game itself so that's over $700, and add on the fact that if you're stupid enough to buy a Sony system on launch day there's a good chance you may be paying $600 AGAIN sometime in the future for a new one when the first one breaks. So that means you're paying over $1,300 for this game in my eye.

Plus, some of you are saying Sony should get on the ball and make this remake to help PS3 sales. But last I checked this game is made by Square-Enix and it's their decision to do the remake, not Sonys.[/quote]

dude that whole thing is wrong. first reviews dont matter those are other peoples opinions not yours. Second its not that hard to do math and if u factor everything out with tax which is 6% where i live the ps3 comes out to roughly 640$. if theere was a ff7 remake for the ps3 i guarentee you that would convince fans to buy the ps3. Hey im not insane over the xbox 360, i like some of theyre games, but the only reason im sticking with playstation is because they have all the great rpg series, and im sure many people feel the same way. Thirs, sooner or later people are going to have to replace their ps3, its inveitable. In 6 years ive bought 3 ps2's because i play game so much. Im sure its the same way with every system, if your a hardcore gamer(that means 3/4ths of your time is devoted to video games) your going to have to replace a system sooner or later. Also buying a PS3 on launch day doent mean your stupid. yeah theyre may be a few bugs but the PS3'S will be recalled if the bugs are that bad. and how are you stupid in the first place for buying a system on launch. Millions of people have bought a system on launch day. Fourth, Sony does have the power to make Square-enix remake ff7 for PS3 they have to do one of two things, one being showing how much of a profit Square-Enix would make if ff7 was re-released,two being about 2 or 3 millions dollars

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Couple of comments:

I had high hopes for this game, but Ive been hearing from people that this is worst game of the year. Top it off with low reviews, and I'm going to wait for sub $20. I had my money saved back to purchase it day one but I decided to spend it elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Now, now. Don't exaggerate. It may be bad but not 'Worst Game of the Year' material.

-_-;;

so who has actually played the US version already? Is it possible to claim a game is bad without playing it (and no, the import doesnt count...)?

[quote name='ryanlk']so who has actually played the US version already? Is it possible to claim a game is bad without playing it (and no, the import doesnt count...)?[/QUOTE]

Possible? Yes. Responsible? Of course not.

...and it's vastly improved from the Japanese version; almost like playing a different game. Tighter controls, faster action, seemingly slightly more intelligent AI... I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Also, creating a remake of FFVII would be incredibly expensive and require a ton of resources. The models from Advent Children are designed for 20-40 minute frame renders for creating a pre-rendered movie, and would have to be entirely reoptimized for use in an engine on the PS3 (it's not that powerful, people). Additionally, you'd have to recreate new textures and models for everything; weapons, enemies, terrain; and after that you'd still have to determine whether to once again pre-render all the backgrounds (which would be painstaking again, as you'd have to essentially re-model each scene so as to match the quality of your new models, requiring new textures; again...), or if you'd like to keep Sony happy and actually have the game be fully 3d (this would be almost as big an undertaking as making an entirely new FF). You'd also probably want to remake the soundtrack using orchestral tracks rather than the midi-like sounds of the original. You'll want to redo every single animation in the game, because the overexaggerated cartoony animations wouldn't be necessary and would in fact look stupid on the higher quality models. Now factor in the fact that most of the engine will have to be rewritten to make optimal use of the PS3's rendering features and computing power so that this thing can even run, and toss in the ton of quality control you'll need to make sure nothing actually went wrong in the translation, and spend another 6 months on the new content that they'll without a doubt want to include, and you've got a huge undertaking.

Fourth, Sony does have the power to make Square-enix remake ff7 for PS3 they have to do one of two things, one being showing how much of a profit Square-Enix would make if ff7 was re-released,two being about 2 or 3 millions dollars

This is kind of a ridiculous comment. All Sony has is the power to "suggest really hard" that SE remake the game, even if you count the 15% they bought of Square after the first FF movie tanked it's all but useless in terms of influence since the merger with enix dilutes it to less of a stake. Also you can't show how much SE would make on a game if you don't know how many people will buy it and you can't know that unless you have a psychic on retainer or they intend to buy every single one on their own! There is NO gaurantee how much a remake will make, and even then Square probably has their own time line for remaking old games How long has it been since the remakes of FF1-6? The one comming soon for the DS hasn't seen an upgrade in how many years? The PSone version might be ugly compared to todays standards but it's still fresh because of all the revisitation done in the past year or so and seem to still have plans for in the mean time.

Lastly 2 or 3 million dollars? HA! I laugh derisivly in your face. That would barely pay for SE hiring 3 extra people to work on the remake for the next 2 years (a far more realistic target for it even if they started it last year). I do think there will be a remake eventually but dont expect anything said here to make it anymore likely to happen in the first year of the PS3's life span.

Squareeinx is a 3rd party, they may enjoy many perks being a favorite of Sony's but being a lapdog that jumps at your every beck and call regardless of logic? ...not really one of those perks.

[quote name='Alpha2']This is kind of a ridiculous comment. All Sony has is the power to "suggest really hard" that SE remake the game, even if you count the 15% they bought of Square after the first FF movie tanked it's all but useless in terms of influence since the merger with enix dilutes it to less of a stake. Also you can't show how much SE would make on a game if you don't know how many people will buy it and you can't know that unless you have a psychic on retainer or they intend to buy every single one on their own! There is NO gaurantee how much a remake will make, and even then Square probably has their own time line for remaking old games How long has it been since the remakes of FF1-6? The one comming soon for the DS hasn't seen an upgrade in how many years? The PSone version might be ugly compared to todays standards but it's still fresh because of all the revisitation done in the past year or so and seem to still have plans for in the mean time.

Lastly 2 or 3 million dollars? HA! I laugh derisivly in your face. That would barely pay for SE hiring 3 extra people to work on the remake for the next 2 years (a far more realistic target for it even if they started it last year). I do think there will be a remake eventually but dont expect anything said here to make it anymore likely to happen in the first year of the PS3's life span.

Squareeinx is a 3rd party, they may enjoy many perks being a favorite of Sony's but being a lapdog that jumps at your every beck and call regardless of logic? ...not really one of those perks.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the price. 2 or 3 million would be nothing when you consider the animators, modelers, skinners, renderers, producers, writers, marketing, publishing, production, and quality assurance costs that would be required just to get the thing off the ground. Also remember that many big tasks are outsourced (look at the credits of any Final Fantasy game), and you're looking at a ton of money to develop this.

Aren't we all supposed to be gamers here?obviously u guys arent. Look up how much people make in the gaming industry. The most (put department here) makes is about 170,000, and i know this because i am hoping to go to school to work somewhere in the gaming industry. and 2,3 million isnt much for square.yeah but Squares net worth is only about 650 million(Thats alot to normal people) so 2,3 would help out alot, it would basically pay for all the workers and the making of the game. The problem is a remake for the ps3 would cost more 1 reason. The great blu ray disks which cost a pretty penny. so 2, million would actually help square.(Edit:Yeah guess thats right i wasnt taking into mind that a remake would prolly take about 3 years so 2,3 mill would barely pay some of the developers)

Well now for Dirge of cerberus. Definatly not a game of the year candidate but also not a worst game of the year candidate

Gameplay:8/10 everything is basically good in this department, all the good skills to work with for a shooter. Only problem here is everytime vincent jumps he makes the same jump noise and it games very annoying

Voice acting:9/10 The voice acting in this game is the best ive seen in a while, but here and there, there are some delays in interactive talking(ex:reeve talks to yuffie in a casual convo nothing to be shocked about and yuffie's voice dont pick up immediatly as a normal convo would)

Depth:4/10 Yeah dirge is missing alot of things in weapons and upgrade department. Only 4(+1 secret one) weps and only 3 or 4 materias(Not sure if i got all the materias). There are a few attachments to the weps which work for all the guns whether they be a normal size handgun or a gigantic machine gun. When vincent lvls up he gets about 6 stat boost but a few of them dont affect anything. The BIGGIST problem here is this game is EXTREMLY SHORT and when i say extremly i mean to the extreme, ive gotten about 2 lvls from the end and ive only played for 6 hours.

Visuals:7/10 As always Square-Enix seems to put ps3 graphics in their cutscenes, but in gameplay nothing is interactive and if vincent can jump higher then a box and he shouldnt go over that box, theres a invisible wall there.

Fun factor:6/10 the game is fun to play but The A.i seems to have eyes in the back of their heads(Spoiler besides for the 5 secs ure playing as cait sith) And the storyline gets pretty complex for people who havent played the original FF7(not me of course :D )

Overall 6.8 Game is most definatly not living up to its name but its worth the cash.

I spent 5 hours with the game last night. If your a FF7 fan you will like it alot. Its really fun and the shooting is fast paced. There are alot of cutscenes and it really fills in alot of vincents backstory and history. Its cool to run around the shinra mansion blasting the baddies and the magic is really useful. It was very much worth the cash, since it really feels like a melding of RPG and FPS

I wrote a quickie review of DC as a blog entry, which is here: http://blueshinra.livejournal.com/52047.html

Said review mostly focuses on the gameplay and technical aspects, namely the things that Squeenix could've done better. However, I do like DC overall so far (not the Greatest Game Ever Made, but it gets the job done), and it's definately recommendable to FF7 fans, especially Vincent fans.

bread's done
Back