Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

[quote name='kart007k']I feel bad for the guy who is buying this on ebay for 49.99[/QUOTE]

Sold all of my copies for about $75 each. Good thing I did @_@

[quote name='Davestation']This is not really a deal since it is going to be on PSN for some time and is not on sale....if we posted all the PS1 classics here it would just clog up this forum.....[/QUOTE]

I don't care what anyone says, getting this game for $10 (and being able to transfer it to PSP) IS a deal. I have a disc copy sitting 20 feet from me and I pounced on this for the (slightly) faster load times and ability to take it with me on my PSP. I hope everyone who wants to play it pays the measly $10 because this game is worth it and it'll send a clear message to Sony that they should pay S-E whatever it takes to remake it for the PS3...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I definitely think $10 for this is a great price, considering Square's history of milking every penny out of the FF name. For Pete's sake, they made that short, repetitive iPod app, Crystal Defenders, $10 on XBL.[/QUOTE]

As always bigdaddybruce44, the devil is in the details. Sony published FFVII in the US.

[quote name='62t']looks like they are using the script of the PC version instead of the original.[/QUOTE]

...It's just a rip of the PS1 discs compiled together.

2 questions.

Is this a good game? I know it is supposed to be the best, but I like games like persona, so will this satisfy my needs?

Will it look good on my 1080p tv?

ok sorry if im dumb here, so i can play the game on EITHER PS3 or PSP?

my PSP is custom firmware hacked, can it still play the official download of FF7?

[quote name='kart007k']2 questions.

Is this a good game? I know it is supposed to be the best, but I like games like persona, so will this satisfy my needs?

Will it look good on my 1080p tv?[/QUOTE]

Yes

No

It looks alright on my 37" lcd, but make sure you turn on smoothing from hitting the ps button, and do NOT go full screen, if you do that it looks like squaresoft puked on your tv screen

Make sure you have made a Virtual Memory Card for the PS1 on the PS3 before you start playing or you wont be able to save!

[quote name='kart007k']2 questions.

Will it look good on my 1080p tv?[/QUOTE]

The first question is highly subjective, it is a pretty highly regarded game, it's the game that hooked many gamers on JRPG's. I stopped playing about 10 hours in, I just don't care for the style of storytelling with prerendered cutscenes that look nothing like the main game.

If you're expecting much from the graphics I think you'll be dissapointed. This is a game from 1997 with very few polygons per character. It will probably look worse on an hdtv than a smaller sdtv, when you blow up something at a low resolution on a 1080p TV it just doesn't look very good. But you have to maintain some perspective that the game was released more than 10 years ago.

Oddly enough, this was the game that nearly completely turned me off of JRPGs. I played a demo of it, and I thought it was the dumbest shit ever. I gotta wait to attack? WTF? There's only one guy on the screen, but there are more people in my group? Huh? Years later, though, I got into FFIX, loved it, and figured I would finally give this full game a try. One of my favorite games ever.

[quote name='Poor2More']Question

How do I transfer FF7 to my PSP using my PS3, so I can play it on the go, without using Remote play?[/QUOTE]

Download it directly from the store on you PSP.

As long as you use the same account as your ps3 you will not have to pay for it again.

I would imagine the reason many thought the price would be $15 is because that is what the price is on the Japanese marketplace and it has been that price ever since it launched several weeks ago. For those on the fence, I say for $10 go for it. It is a very good game though I certainly would not say it is the best game ever or even the best Final Fantasy game. Those of you singing praises about the game being the best ever... seriously have you played it lately? It certainly is not without its share of flaws. It hasn't held up as good as you might think. In my opinion Final Fantasy VI was the pinnacle of the series and has yet to be matched.

Finally this is released and i get to play it for the first time. Ive been waiting for this game to hit psn for a while.

I'm still on the fence about this. It's a good deal since I was expecting $15-$20. I played it way back in the day and was bored as hell. I tend not to like JRPG's much. I try to like them, but I usually get about 1/2 way through and quit.

Maybe if the do an updated graphics version I might give it another shot, cause I even knew back in the day that FFVII graphics were not going to age well (actually that's true for almost the whole PS1 catalog).

People need to stop asking if they'll like it and just buy it. It's $10 (skip Micky D's a few times) and easily one of the best, if not the best, RPGs* ever made.

*you can replace RPGs with game and the statement still stands. If you don't like it then you're probably just an evil human being, sorry :(

And as far as graphics go - this was an early PS1 game. Not 640 by 480, but 320 by 240 (PC version was kicked up to 640 by 480). Graphics are meh, but backgrounds are pre-rendered to make up for it and gameplay/story are out of this world. Buy it now and stop asking foolish questions.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Unfortunately, the game has limited collector's value. Square sold 9.8 million copies worldwide.[/QUOTE]

This had been selling, especially black label, for $40-$50 opened, $100 sealed on EBay for the last 2 years or so.

[quote name='prateeko']
If you don't like it then you're probably just an evil human being, sorry :([/QUOTE]
Yes, I am an evil human being.

[quote name='MSUHitman']This had been selling, especially black label, for $40-$50 opened, $100 sealed on EBay for the last 2 years or so.[/QUOTE]

$100 sealed? Black label goes for quite a bit more than that. Used also goes for more than $40 last I checked. Even GH sealed can bring in a good amount. It may not have been very limited but the quality of the game (one of two factors for sealed, other being rareness) is so far off the charts that it more than compensates for lack of rarity.

to the guys who are asking if this is a good game: consider this, when it was still fresh 10 years ago, the storyline made alot of gamers cry .. a good cry too lol

Never played the game, but my fiance owns the physical disk. A true CAGer in me tells me that I should not get the PSN version, and I should play it on my PS3.
But the fact that we only have 1 HDTV in the house, sharing it with an 11 year old kid obsessed with CoD4, and I do spend a fair amount of time out of the house, points at the fact that I should pick this up and stuff it inside my PSP...

Decisions decisions... I guess I'll mull over it for a week or two, and see were I could scrounged for $10 (I just picked up InFamouse for me, and Sims 3 for my girl).

i have the discs(black label), except they need resurfacing. but honestly i rather just get this. along side persona series, ffvii is one of my fav rpgs.

[quote name='Boeing 747']What exactly pushes this game to such high costs (and this goes for most Square games) when there were so many copies sold?[/QUOTE]
Desirability of neophytes and/or collectors. Not everyone was into JRPGs when the game was big. Think of Earthbound. The game didn't sell very well, but it has garnered up a very devoted fanbase long after the game has passed its time.

Also, X sold does not mean X are still in good condition.

I would like to take a brief moment to mock all the young people on this board who never owned a PS1 and neither played nor beat this game. *Feels very old, but is comforted by the blacklabled copy he has*

Now get off my lawn! :)

Faster loading times? Portability? Yes, 9.99 is a deal. I'll consider re-buying a psp if Sony is going to keep doing smart things like this.

[quote name='emperordahc']I would like to take a brief moment to mock all the young people on this board who never owned a PS1 and neither played nor beat this game. *Feels very old, but is comforted by the blacklabled copy he has*

Now get off my lawn! :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not that young (Hardcored FFVI, or rather FF3, on the SNES around the 3rd/4th grade). It's just that I wasn't cool, rich, or white enough to afford a PS1.

But now that I own a ps3, might as well catch up on some ps1 classics. Not Parappa though... pain in the ass to play it on a LCD screen with the whole calibration issues going against it.

[quote name='outphase']Desirability of neophytes and/or collectors. Not everyone was into JRPGs when the game was big. Think of Earthbound. The game didn't sell very well, but it has garnered up a very devoted fanbase long after the game has passed its time.

Also, X sold does not mean X are still in good condition.[/QUOTE]

With 8.5 (or 9.5) million sold there are plenty in good condition. Rarity + quality are the factors that drive price. Games like Chrono Trigger are rare and of exceptional quality and expectantly have high prices. In this case, rarity is not the big factor (may be a little due to people not want to sell it), but rather the quality of the game. It's so good that it's worth paying the extra on eBay to play it. It helps that it's not made anymore, but like Chrono Trigger (my fav, but both are on par), the quality of the game plays a big factor.

If you can save $10, BUY THIS GAME. Hands down one of the best games ever made and arguably the best RPG ever made. Worth it, worth it, worth it!

[quote name='btt']Is there trophy support in the PSN release?[/QUOTE]

It's not a remake - just a PSOne port. The PSN has a section that's strictly for PSOne ports (ultimately just emulations). Another words, the extra functionality of a standard PSN or PS3 title does not apply here.

Hmmm ... I'll wait for the inevitable remake that will either save Square Enix or come out a few months before the company folds (and you laugh, but seriously guys name a recent SE RPG that lives up to the stuff they were putting out in the late 90's - early 2000's.

Sales are doing fine. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger remake (in Japan) have all sold well. You'd have to be a moron to expect Square-Enix to go bankrupt anytime soon.

They may spend too much and too long on making games, but they've got the sense to bring things multiplatform (FF XIII to 360 in USA) to make more money.

[quote name='prateeko']Sales are doing fine. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger remake (in Japan) have all sold well. You'd have to be a moron to expect Square-Enix to go bankrupt anytime soon.

They may spend too much and too long on making games, but they've got the sense to bring things multiplatform (FF XIII to 360 in USA) to make more money.[/QUOTE]

For me, FFXIV looks like a bust because I don't play any pay service MMORPGs. :whistle2:(

I guess a lot of people who like FFXI will pick it up.

[quote name='prateeko']Sales are doing fine. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger remake (in Japan) have all sold well. You'd have to be a moron to expect Square-Enix to go bankrupt anytime soon.

They may spend too much and too long on making games, but they've got the sense to bring things multiplatform (FF XIII to 360 in USA) to make more money.[/QUOTE]
square enix is facing the situation most developers, especially in japan, are facing. their financial situation isn't great and they have commented on their lousy 3-4 yr releases not creating income. heck a few months ago they started scrapping test projects. Japan's economy is terrible right now. They're a country reliant on exports of electronics and cars. With the taxes(import) US has been charging and the current recession, it has effected them greatly. btw dq8 was the last great, but created by Level-5 under SE producing.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm ... I'll wait for the inevitable remake that will either save Square Enix or come out a few months before the company folds (and you laugh, but seriously guys name a recent SE RPG that lives up to the stuff they were putting out in the late 90's - early 2000's.[/QUOTE]

the world ends with you,Star ocean are two good games they've put out.With FF 13,versus,agito and FF 14 coming out they won't be going bankrupt anytime soon.

10.00 to be able to play this game on the psp is worth it easily!.

I'm far too happy about this. It's slightly embarrassing, but yes after my purchase there was the victory fists in the air. Followed by a comment to that dog that for 10 bucks it's a sweet deal.

[quote name='Hestar']the world ends with you,Star ocean are two good games they've put out.With FF 13,versus,agito and FF 14 coming out they won't be going bankrupt anytime soon.

10.00 to be able to play this game on the psp is worth it easily!.[/QUOTE]

TWEWY was interesting but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as any of the classic FF's, Chrono, or even Xenogears. The latest Star Oceans have been debatable at best, and FF 14 is a distant dream even if they showed off some fancy FMV today. Bottom line, they will remake FFVII eventually because they have the hi-def models from the film and are a money hungry company that feeds off of endless re-releases of games from an era where they were at the top of their game. I'm not saying it's coming out in the next year or so, but it will come ... and Square Enix can fail ... I bet there were plenty of "morons" back in the early 90's who thought Sega would still be making consoles now.

[quote name='outphase']Desirability of neophytes and/or collectors. Not everyone was into JRPGs when the game was big. Think of Earthbound. The game didn't sell very well, but it has garnered up a very devoted fanbase long after the game has passed its time.

Also, X sold does not mean X are still in good condition.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if comparing Earthbound that has sold probably less then 500,000 total to a game that has sold 9.8 million. With earthbound the fanbase has probably overgrown the amount it sold, that's probably why it's so valued.

I suppose it's possible the fanbase has grown to a bad ratio of games available for sale.. but man at some of those prices, wow.

I was so tempted to buy this when I saw it, even though I still have my day 1 copy (copy 1 motherfuckers in murfreesboro, for that matter, I preordered it the day it was announced it was coming to the US, about 15 months in advance, which the people at EB thought I was crazy for, but anyway). Even odder being as I watched advent children for the first time over the weekend. Anybody that has any gripe about that movie, you're fucking nuts. It is exactly what it should be. I have a VERY strong feeling the "complete" version will just dumb it down and fuck it up. It doesn't NEED to explain itself. You either know it, or you don't, and if you don't, fuck you, go play the game. NO ONE has any excuse now to not have played it.

[quote name='mietha']I was so tempted to buy this when I saw it, even though I still have my day 1 copy (copy 1 motherfuckers in murfreesboro, for that matter, I preordered it the day it was announced it was coming to the US, about 15 months in advance, which the people at EB thought I was crazy for, but anyway). Even odder being as I watched advent children for the first time over the weekend. Anybody that has any gripe about that movie, you're fucking nuts. It is exactly what it should be. I have a VERY strong feeling the "complete" version will just dumb it down and fuck it up. It doesn't NEED to explain itself. You either know it, or you don't, and if you don't, fuck you, go play the game. NO ONE has any excuse now to not have played it.[/QUOTE]

Ambien? Valium? :)

[quote name='Boeing 747']What exactly pushes this game to such high costs (and this goes for most Square games) when there were so many copies sold?[/QUOTE]

That's actually pretty easy. Most people who own it will never sell it. Even with it being on the PSN for $10, I wouldn't sell my copy for $100, and I am FAR from alone. This really is one of the best games every made and more importantly, it is THE game that changed what video games are. This was the first game that MANY people cried at. Go back and look at what games were back then. The concept of crying because of a video game (other than out of severe frustration) was an insane concept before this game. It was the first game to establish a true emotional attachment to a game for many people, and the industry hasn't looked back since.

I picked up a copy off of the PSN no questions asked, and I'm not ever selling my black label copy of it. To me it was the last good Final Fantasy game, after this point they went to the more "realistic" models. I miss my sprites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back