Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

This is very tempting even though I have the original CDs in my closet.

1. Will my old saves for the disc version work with the PSN version?
2. How does the changing between discs work?

Yes, saves work if you have them on the PS3 (or you used the Memory Card transfer thingy). Switching works by selecting reset and choosing which disc to use when it resets.

The actual download is smaller than copying all the discs to the HDD (if such an option exists) since they don't have to have 3 copies of textures and stuff used frequently.

[quote name='eastx']One nice thing about the 2D Final Fantasy games is that the battles are far faster. The main thing I dislike about FF7 is being forced to sit through the unnecessarily long summons and spells - especially the final boss' stupid spells.[/QUOTE]

There is an option in FFVII to speed up or slow down the battles to your liking. The spells and summons still take the same amount of time, but overall battle speed can be considerably adjusted.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Sold my greatest hts copy for $40 bought this for $10. $30 profit ;)[/QUOTE]

I should do this with my black label copy. I even found the manual the other day and it is still in good condition.

I sold both my copies of FF7 the moment I heard it was on PSN. Demand just got a huge (unlimited) amount of supply. Prices are definitely coming down on physical copies.

[quote name='lokizz']does the using analog option work for ff7? i see you can do it on the ps3 but i cant seem to get it to work.[/QUOTE]
I think it only works on the PSP. Hit "Home," "Controller Settings," then choose something like Mode 4.

[quote name='Capitalizt']I sold both my copies of FF7 the moment I heard it was on PSN. Demand just got a huge (unlimited) amount of supply. Prices are definitely coming down on physical copies.[/QUOTE]

Not true, a study of prices after virtual release shows no price difference either way on all games. Some go up some go down, but on average there is very little difference.

[quote name='Killbomb']I should do this with my black label copy. I even found the manual the other day and it is still in good condition.[/QUOTE]

Its a good idea. I have been selling most of my rare games banking on the idea that we are going to see most of these games hit PSN. And if not then ah well im investing the money in my IRA so that will make me more money in the long run then these games would have anyways. I just hope im right because some of these games like Brigandine, SUikoden 2 and Legend of Mana I will miss.

[quote name='Chadt74']Not true, a study of prices after virtual release shows no price difference either way on all games. Some go up some go down, but on average there is very little difference.[/QUOTE]I'd have to agree. Suikoden 1 has been on PSN for a while now at $6. You can still see physical copies sell at $35-40 used on eBay.

There's no telling what the future of video game collectibles will be. If they're anything like comics, reprints won't affect prices all that much. How many times has the first apperance of Superman or Spiderman been reprinted in trade paperbacks and still the actual comic books retain their value.

I can't imagine prices going down very much for collectible games because collectors don't buy these games to play them generally speaking; they buy them for their shelf. I collect records and they don't drop in price when they are released on iTunes or on cd; if anything the property goes up in value because a new batch of listeners is introduced, thereby creating a whole bunch of new demand.

[quote name='eastx']If you own the original then it will play on your PS3 just fine. Nobody ever promised you that your games would play on every system that you buy in the future forever.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, someone at goozex posted almost the exact same response... hmmm

Nobody "Promised" me PS1 games would work on a PSP. BUT THEY DO! Only Sony does not allow you to port LEGALLY OWNED PS1 discs to the PS3 HDD for conversion to PSP even tho they clearly COULD do that since someone else has figured it out years ago.

I'm simply asking sony to release a simple utility that would allow their PSP to compete w/ hxxxed versions

[quote name='expane']I'm simply asking sony to release a simple utility that would allow their PSP to compete w/ hxxxed versions[/QUOTE]You'd be more likely to get a trade-in program similar to what Sony is planning to do with UMDs. But even that'd be a long shot.

[quote name='Chadt74']Not true, a study of prices after virtual release shows no price difference either way on all games. Some go up some go down, but on average there is very little difference.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd have to agree. Suikoden 1 has been on PSN for a while now at $6. You can still see physical copies sell at $35-40 used on eBay.

There's no telling what the future of video game collectibles will be. If they're anything like comics, reprints won't affect prices all that much. How many times has the first apperance of Superman or Spiderman been reprinted in trade paperbacks and still the actual comic books retain their value.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DtotheP']I can't imagine prices going down very much for collectible games because collectors don't buy these games to play them generally speaking; they buy them for their shelf. I collect records and they don't drop in price when they are released on iTunes or on cd; if anything the property goes up in value because a new batch of listeners is introduced, thereby creating a whole bunch of new demand.[/QUOTE]

go tell that to people who own MvC2

http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2009/04/marvel-vs-capcom-2-on-xbl-psn-lowers.html

[quote name='simmias']I don't think you're right. My FFVII ISO dumps on my laptop are about 2.1GB, far larger than this download. 730MB disc 1, 720 MB disc 2, 650 MB disc 3.[/QUOTE]

I would assume the compressed the ISOs. Seeing as you have to change disks to play, I doubt they shared resources between them.

I was just depressed to find that I opened my original FFVII case and found that disc 2 is missing. Drat. I've moved 2 times since the last time I probably opened it, so I'm thinking that the PSN release is going to be my best option to play the game again.

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd have to agree. Suikoden 1 has been on PSN for a while now at $6. You can still see physical copies sell at $35-40 used on eBay.

There's no telling what the future of video game collectibles will be. If they're anything like comics, reprints won't affect prices all that much. How many times has the first apperance of Superman or Spiderman been reprinted in trade paperbacks and still the actual comic books retain their value.[/QUOTE]

Did the original Spiderman or Superman issues have 9 million copies in print? Did Suikoden? Nope. The demand for FFVII was not from hardcore collectors (as it is with the things you mentioned), it was from casual gamers looking to play what is hailed as "the best game of all time." Now that all those people can just download it, the demand is going to disappear. There will always be people wanting a physical copy, but it will be nowhere near the amount it was in March of 2008 (when physical copies were selling for $100+), it will probably bottom out at around $25 - $30 for a GH copy or $30 - $50 for a Black Label.

[quote name='Chadt74']Not true, a study of prices after virtual release shows no price difference either way on all games. Some go up some go down, but on average there is very little difference.[/QUOTE]

That applies to games that aren't one of the most heavily printed games of all time. Like I mentioned before, FFVII had sold 9 million copies before it went OOP. That's a ton of supply for a quickly falling demand.

[quote name='expane']That's funny, someone at goozex posted almost the exact same response... hmmm

Nobody "Promised" me PS1 games would work on a PSP. BUT THEY DO! Only Sony does not allow you to port LEGALLY OWNED PS1 discs to the PS3 HDD for conversion to PSP even tho they clearly COULD do that since someone else has figured it out years ago.

I'm simply asking sony to release a simple utility that would allow their PSP to compete w/ hxxxed versions[/QUOTE]

What you're asking for is no different than them just letting you download pirated versions of those PSOne games, because there would be absolutely nothing to stop you from installing an original PSOne game to every PSP that you run across. As another poster said, the only way they could implement your idea would be to require you to trade the disc in, which just isn't going to happen.

You got a very similar response from someone else because your idea isn't completely logical and we're explaining the logic to you.

[quote name='Doomstink']Did the original Spiderman or Superman issues have 9 million copies in print? Did Suikoden? Nope. The demand for FFVII was not from hardcore collectors (as it is with the things you mentioned), it was from casual gamers looking to play what is hailed as "the best game of all time." Now that all those people can just download it, the demand is going to disappear. There will always be people wanting a physical copy, but it will be nowhere near the amount it was in March of 2008 (when physical copies were selling for $100+), it will probably bottom out at around $25 - $30 for a GH copy or $30 - $50 for a Black Label.[/QUOTE]

According to this price history it seems that used copies of Suikoden have held steady even after the game was re-released on PSN. I don't remember seeing FF7 ever selling for $100+ unless it was a sealed copy. That's not to say the price of FF7 won't go down a bit, but I wouldn't expect to see a flood of super cheap physical copies any time soon.

[quote name='eastx']What you're asking for is no different than them just letting you download pirated versions of those PSOne games, because there would be absolutely nothing to stop you from installing an original PSOne game to every PSP that you run across. As another poster said, the only way they could implement your idea would be to require you to trade the disc in, which just isn't going to happen.

You got a very similar response from someone else because your idea isn't completely logical and we're explaining the logic to you.[/QUOTE]

This is true. But at the same time now that we are going into the digital age it means that from now on there should be no excuse for a company to ever not offer an up to date version of a game on their platform when you purchase a copy. By this I mean if I purchase Spyro for $6 now I shouldnt have to turn around and repurchase it next generation when a new console comes out, my PSN copy should just transfer over. Even if its 50 years from now and the PS15 only works on holographic 3D imaging TVs there still should be an option for me to redownload my old copy of Spyro and have it work. If the new tech has some kind of hard ware limitation like how they had to upgrade these old PSX games to work on HDTV's properly then charge me a fee dont recharge me to buy the whole damn game over again.

Suikoden went WAY down.

[quote name='eastx']What you're asking for is no different than them just letting you download pirated versions of those PSOne games, because there would be absolutely nothing to stop you from installing an original PSOne game to every PSP that you run across. As another poster said, the only way they could implement your idea would be to require you to trade the disc in, which just isn't going to happen.

You got a very similar response from someone else because your idea isn't completely logical and we're explaining the logic to you.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Not only that, but why on Earth would they want to compete with themselves? They have a released a number of a PS1 games in the PSN store. Yes, it's a very, very small portion of the entire library, but nonetheless, they want you buying it again if you want to play it on the PSP.

Anyway, as far as the prices of these titles go, it's simply logical that the prices of physical copies will go down once they become available via digital download. You are cutting into the potential consumer base. I know there have been plenty of "rare" games I have considered paying way too much for, just because I really, really wanted to play them. I never did, but I know plenty of people do. Once something like this happens, all of those people will no longer even consider paying the high prices for the physical copies. Now, you'll only have the collectors.

My guess is the reason they are releasing it now is because within the next year or so we will see an FFVII remake. Its smart to sell the original game then after everyone buys it turn around and sell the remake.

[quote name='willardhaven']Despite the current situation, it's hard to swallow 9.99 when this game was 7.50 as a Greatest Hits.[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't remember any GH titles ever retailing that low. Besides, I can't really see it as hard to swallow, when they could have easily put it up at $15 or even $20 and still sold it to a ton of people.

[quote name='willardhaven']Despite the current situation, it's hard to swallow 9.99 when this game was 7.50 as a Greatest Hits.[/QUOTE]

The biggest selling point to me is that now it's portable.

So I just got my PS3 and you saying that brings up a question. A lot of the games say PSP or flat out are PSP games on PSN.....but if their selling them on PSN is it just to transfer to your PSP then or can I play these games on my PS3 as well? Jeane De Arc is a good example of this.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So I just got my PS3 and you saying that brings up a question. A lot of the games say PSP or flat out are PSP games on PSN.....but if their selling them on PSN is it just to transfer to your PSP then or can I play these games on my PS3 as well? Jeane De Arc is a good example of this.[/QUOTE]

PSP titles cannot be played on the PS3 and can only be downloaded to be transferred to your PSP. It would be amazing if they incorporated an emulator but its is extremely unlikely.

[quote name='sapient']I would love an emulator for PSP games though :D[/QUOTE]

Maybe if they did that they could actually sell PSP games ;)

[quote name='mis0']Are the rumors about an enhanced FFVII still in the works from Squenix?[/QUOTE]

Well yeah there's still rumors. But there's nothing even close to concrete. Don't expect any news on a FFVII remake or even an enhanced PS1 version for a least another couple years. Eventually it'll happen I think.

edit: well the problem may have been disc-load speed. Put it back to normal and didn't bug out after the first fight. Hoping this will keep it from screwing up..

The emulation is busted. I'm less than an hour into the game on my PSP and the display got all bugged. The screen is all garbled and filled with random colors. If I can find a place to move over a screen it restores itself except for menus/text (triangle menu, menus during fights, text boxes, and damage done during combat).

I made it to a save point and saved the game to a new slot and restarted the game. It works again until right after a battle at which point the screen seems to get completely garbled again. Not playable at all...sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nwaugh']To be fair, a $100 PS2 and a $50 FF7 are still combined cheaper than a PSP or PS3. $150 is a solid down payment on a PS3, though.[/QUOTE]
yeah, but the PS3 doesn't have b/c anymore...
god damn it Sony, I never got to play God of War!

This can be downloaded to a PSP, right?

If I download it on my PS3, can I use it on both my PS3 and PSP, or just the PS3?

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']god damn it Sony, I never got to play God of War![/QUOTE]

Well you *may* get your chance if rumors of the 'trilogy' collector's edition come true. Cross your fingers.
(I've only played about 5 minutes of GoW1)

[quote name='Scorch']This can be downloaded to a PSP, right?

If I download it on my PS3, can I use it on both my PS3 and PSP, or just the PS3?[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can use it on both.

[quote name='mis0']Are the rumors about an enhanced FFVII still in the works from Squenix?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's all still rumors but they'd have to be insane not to do it. I mean they already have the story and battle system mapped. All they need is an updated graphic engine.

Just look at the length of this thread. FF7 is legendary and a version with PS3 graphics would sell like crazy. It could even be the title that kickstarts the PS3. I know I'd re-buy a PS3 and a FF7 remake day one.

I would definitely agree that a FFVII remake boils down to "when" and not "if." People love FFVII, and everytime someone even mentions a remake, everyone gets excited. I know it would be a day one purchase for me.

[quote name='Apostle22']I feel great for the guy who just sold this on ebay for $75 last week. Especially since that guy was me:applause::applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

hehe I saw the e3 announcement and sold my copy to a local dealer for 75$ and went back home to download it for 10$

In all honesty Square has been going remake crazy, so I would say it's safe to bet on a FFVII remake. I mean you can only remake FF's I - VI so many times........................................right??!??

[quote name='phantom2k2']In all honesty Square has been going remake crazy, so I would say it's safe to bet on a FFVII remake. I mean you can only remake FF's I - VI so many times........................................right??!??[/QUOTE]

A 5-D remake of FFV would be uber-sweet! :p

Sold my original a few years back, but I still have great memories playing this with my cousin as a teen. Staying up all night raising chocobos and racing them. Yeehaw, I just might d/l it.

[quote name='phantom2k2']In all honesty Square has been going remake crazy, so I would say it's safe to bet on a FFVII remake. I mean you can only remake FF's I - VI so many times........................................right??!??[/QUOTE]

It's only natural that we'll see an NES FF compilation, as well as SNES and PS1 compilations, and then eventually later down the line the super uber mega collector's supreme edition with FF I through FF IX (and of course all with inevitable "brand new cutscenes!"). :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back