Final Fantasy XI - I won't grind quietly into that good night.

So... After reading up on the new expansion I texted a friend of mine with his 75 white mage. Told him about the new expansion.

Then proceeded to go home, rebuy the game(god knows i cant find remember my original info, only made it 3 weeks into the game back then). And proceeded to fight my way through the playonline hurdles and get the client installed. Can't wait to go home and play tonight.

My only question is how do I set background resolution any higher than 1024x1024(max resolution on monitor is 1920x1200), back in the day I was using the resolution mod, but would prefer not to have to deal with anything like that this time.

Blue mage here I come.

[quote name='wckddudeman']So... After reading up on the new expansion I texted a friend of mine with his 75 white mage. Told him about the new expansion.

Then proceeded to go home, rebuy the game(god knows i cant find remember my original info, only made it 3 weeks into the game back then). And proceeded to fight my way through the playonline hurdles and get the client installed. Can't wait to go home and play tonight.

My only question is how do I set background resolution any higher than 1024x1024(max resolution on monitor is 1920x1200), back in the day I was using the resolution mod, but would prefer not to have to deal with anything like that this time.

Blue mage here I come.[/QUOTE]

Note that Background resolution is different from the main resolution. Both can be changed in FFXIConfig. Just set your main resolution to 1920x1200 and the background resolution to 2048x2048 for best results.

You'll love Blue Mage, it was my favorite job. Though Black Mage, Ninja and Dragoon weren't too far behind.

I'm going to reactivate my account next week, probably Monday. I'm on the Ragnarok server. I'll be happy to help out any players that make a new account on that server.

I am Ryoka on Sylph server

Played a LOT for about 7 years, but the last two years I have been very very limited on it....haven't logged on in over a year now actually....still keep my account open though. Just can't pull the trigger to stop it... Had lots of great times on there.

Played through the first opening story mission, then wondered why i was playing this. New areas were (obviously) deserted, so it felt like a really huge, really uneventful single player game.

created on ragnarok, good nostalgia trip, server said approx 1000 people online i saw probably 25-30 which definately isnt bad for the age of the game... Hopefully I can meet people and get some groups going.

Good news is made it to level 6 and 19 sword/evasion in less time than it took me last time I played, need that beret to be added to my account >.

[quote name='thefinal87']Question, is Dancer still a good sub-job for melee classes?[/QUOTE]

I quit when the level cap was 90 and with the level cap increase from 75 it was even better than before, a lot better even. With the cap at 90 you could sub lv45 Dancer which gave you access to Curing Waltz III, Haste Samba and Violent Flourish (a Stun move).

as 90NIN/45DNC I felt almost invincible, I soloed many Abyssea NMs, I also went to Sky and soloed Genbu relatively easily, just took a while because of its high HP, like 20 minutes.

I imagine as 99NIN/49DNC I'll feel even stronger with 9 extra levels worth of Evasion Skill.

Also, now that BLU and THF have native Dual Wield, BLU/DNC and THF/DNC have their use when dealing with enemies that heavily use attacks that go through Utsusemi shadows or when facing weaker enemies so you don't waste shihei. Shihei have gone up to 70k Gil for a stack of 12 toolbags.

[quote name='wckddudeman']created on ragnarok, good nostalgia trip, server said approx 1000 people online i saw probably 25-30 which definately isnt bad for the age of the game... Hopefully I can meet people and get some groups going.

Good news is made it to level 6 and 19 sword/evasion in less time than it took me last time I played, need that beret to be added to my account >.

Ughhhhh, I hate it when the economy fluctuates so damn much in this game lol. I still need to unlock BLU, when I originally played, I loved the job, very very fun, especially mixed with BLM.

[quote name='thefinal87']Ughhhhh, I hate it when the economy fluctuates so damn much in this game lol. [/QUOTE]

Thankfully Gil isn't too important these days. The first time I quit when the cap was still 75 I made the mistake of not selling my gear before quitting. When I came back and the cap was now 90 all that top notch 75 gear was now junk. My 3mil Hagun was down to 10k, same with my Blau Dolch. All in all, I lost about 50mil in gear depreciation.

I also lost another 12mil because shortly before I quit I laid out 12mil to buy the 12 imperial wootz ingots needed to obtain the Morrigan's Robe. Shortly after I quit SE reduced the number of ingots needed to 6 to make it easier, so there was 6 mil gone and when I came back the ingots were going for 50k instead of 1mil. So to obtain a body piece from Salvage you now only needed 300k instead of 12mil.

The worst part is that the Morrigan's Robe, which at 75 was the god-like nuking body piece for Black Mage, was no longer the best at 90. So all that money I put in to get it was somewhat wasted. It did still have its use as a nuking piece for Red Mage and as a weapon skill piece for Blue Mage, but still, it lost most of its grandeur sadly.

It ended up not being such a big deal though since at the time of my return Abyssea was where all the best gear came from and it was all mostly free. So the lost of all that Gil wasn't too bad even though it hurt pretty bad at first.

So I've been back a few days. It's been pretty good. I did the lv95 and lv99 limit break quests and got 3 of my 8 lv90 jobs to lv99. I also got a bunch of merit points to unlock the new merit point weapon skills. The only problem is that for the weapon skill to be really good it needs to be fully merited and you can only have 3 fully merited, so it's been tough choosing they all look amazing. Here's the ones I'm interested in:

Blade: Shun

Exenterator

Requiescat

Stardiver

Tachi: Shoha

Apex Arrow

Also I was able to upgrade some of my relic gear to +2 just by buying some items in peoples bazaars. I got the Koga Tekko +2 and the Assassin's Armlets +2

One thing that is kinda worrisome is that I haven't really seen any shouts for any Abyssea related stuff and not that many shouts in general. Might be rough for new players. Hopefully I'll be able to find some people to finish Wings of the Goddess with.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might just be Siren but I have noticed people have moved away from dolls and bluffalo and now just do worms and frogs.

I just got back in this game after 6 or more years and boy am I confused. Everybody I knew is basically gone and now I've gone back to my old home of Carbuncle so if anybody plays there hit me up and we can party together or something. I mostly been trying to raise a chocobo for the time being till I have a reasonable grasp of how much things have changed.

I had a ton of great memories when I played years ago. Went back three different times only to delete my character last year when all the people I knew were gone, lol. I quit because I ended up spending too much time in the game not really doing much (and I didn't want to level up another job). Am thinking of trying FF14 next year, but can't imagine going back to an MMO being FF11 was such a huge time sink (though a lot of fun at times). Thanks for the post, OP! :)

[quote name='pigeon12']I had a ton of great memories when I played years ago. Went back three different times only to delete my character last year when all the people I knew were gone, lol. I quit because I ended up spending too much time in the game not really doing much (and I didn't want to level up another job). Am thinking of trying FF14 next year, but can't imagine going back to an MMO being FF11 was such a huge time sink (though a lot of fun at times). Thanks for the post, OP! :)[/QUOTE]

It's not the same grind anymore. No longer is "I dont have X leveled i can't do Y", "I can't party with my friends they are too low/high", "This mission is level capped". All that is gone, you can actually play the game. Granted you will do some grinding but instead of getting a level a hour, its levels per minute.

Bought it for $5 on Amazon. Don't have much time to play online games though, so I'm hesitant about when to start my 30 day subscription. Hard to see myself paying over $10 a month... I can't believe it's still that expensive.

I saw that you can set the resolution to 2048x2048, but what is that going to look like on a 1920x1080 monitor? There's no widescreen support?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Bought it for $5 on Amazon. Don't have much time to play online games though, so I'm hesitant about when to start my 30 day subscription. Hard to see myself paying over $10 a month... I can't believe it's still that expensive.

I saw that you can set the resolution to 2048x2048, but what is that going to look like on a 1920x1080 monitor? There's no widescreen support?[/QUOTE]

I have helped a few CAG's and lots of newbies that have joined fairly recently. A lot of them don't stick around, the few that do stay we try to get stuff done. It's kind of straining helping new people over and over. I generally have a rule of thumb where i train groups at the minimum of at least 2. Even though my ways are old, they still work and i learned some new tricks.

If you don't have time, that is the general thought to not play MMO's. Having played since launch and achieving a lot of goals in my life. I think its possible to play a MMO if you really wanted too. The way FFXI works now is that you can get a lot done in a short amount of time. When it comes to questing, be prepared to go on an adventure.

I always say to myself, if i had a solid party of 6 people. I could completely own vana'diel. In less then 3 months you could theoretically do everything in the entire game.

Eh, I'm the kind of person who doesn't enjoy being "trained". I'm fine myself, and figuring it out and getting better is half the point of a game for me.

And I have time enough to play, just not so much when you've only got a certain amount of time to play the game before the subscription fee is suddenly double what you bought the game for...

News that made me go all wavy arms and screaming. This weekend starting febuary 8th to the 11th is a double exp weekend. Which in 10 years i have never seen them do, ever. If it wasn't easy enough, they entice people with this. The way the game is now you can have a max level job/s in a few minutes.

Also there is a sale on the base game and 7 expansions for 10 on the square enix store.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/sto...oryId.57606100/parentCategoryID.#.UQ6NyaVfBBk

[quote name='DemonKysho']News that made me go all wavy arms and screaming.[/QUOTE]
Damn! This had me thinking the game went B2P. :cry:

Double Experience started yesterday it will last til 7 Monday PST. That only doubles monster kill exp, not quest or book exp. You pretty much rocket up out of the starter zone's with no fear.

If anyone wanted to pick a time to try it would be now.

Wanted to try it finally this weekend but I missed the $5 amazon deal and the half off in the square-enix store refused to complete (i have no idea why any of these companies actually pay Digital River money to run their online stores when all they do is screw up a large portion of the time) Oh well maybe come Seekers I'll finally give it a whirl.

[quote name='DemonKysho']Double Experience started yesterday it will last til 7 Monday PST. That only doubles monster kill exp, not quest or book exp. You pretty much rocket up out of the starter zone's with no fear.

If anyone wanted to pick a time to try it would be now.[/QUOTE]

Is there still a decent number of people playing it?

I don't want to start and end up just playing alone.

[quote name='whoknows']Is there still a decent number of people playing it?

I don't want to start and end up just playing alone.[/QUOTE]

Well there are at least 1500 on my server on average. I assume a lot of them are at endgame. You will find a lot of the starter zones not as full as it used to be. You can get pretty far on your own.

I just had a few friends go through the archaic sign up process. Of all the things i wish they could of updated was that. Well once you do what you have to do, you never have to deal with that again.

Here is a look at the new jobs from Massively .

Also amazon has the Abesseya version on sale for 10 bucks again. Which is everything minus the new expansion coming at the end of the month.

$30 for an expansion on a game this old? Meh, here I thought I waited long enough to buy the complete pack and actually get everything...

Does anyone still happen to play regularly? I just finally got around to starting the game and am kinda lost on how to go about doing things in the game. If you can give some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Also sorry for the huge bump.

I have been thinking about finishing off the story of XI, which to me is probably the most well done since X, maybe VI. I should really edit the OP now to emphisize how solo friendly the game is now and how it is now possible to solo the entire damn game.

Also i will currently mention at the time of posting that it's on sale again at amazon

Not sorry for the Huge bump since this game is up there with Everquest and Phantasy Star for being a great as hell MMO.

Thought i'd give this a bump since they're supposedly doing a promotion where you can play for free from 9/10 to 9/17. 

I use the word supposedly as they advertise it as being for people with contract statuses of "Canceled" before 9/8/14, but then the fine print says that you are not eligible for the free promotion if haven't been paying the monthly service fee since you've canceled.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/

bread's done
Back