Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 $15 @ GameStop/EB

The problem with this game is that it's hard to play casually unless you already have an "established" character. Getting to 75 is literally the hardest part. It's not a one-way shot either. You have to get to 18, level your sub-job, then level to 50, then get Limit 1 done, level to 55, get Limit 2 done, then level to 60, finish your AF gear (You need help for that and for some jobs you don't need it, but for a first timer it's very hard to have enough money to AH replacement gear), do Limit 3, level to 65, Limit 4, level to 70, Limit 5 and then level to 75. All that is stuff you HAVE to do for your first toon and that's assuming you want to level to 75 with any of the starter jobs.

If you want to do it with advanced jobs, you have to hit 30 with a starter job, do quests to unlock the advanced jobs and THEN start from level 1 with an advanced job.

And also, as you hit mid-levels, people begin to want to XP at areas you don't have access too. So you have to do missions just to get access to places where people want to XP.

So there's definitely an initial investment of time that, as much as any FFXI die hard player will try to deny, isn't very fun and isn't a very easy experience, that you HAVE to get out of the way. It's possible to be mediocre at your job with AH gear, but you'll get raised eyebrows. People treat people like dirt who don't have Ra/EX gear.

I won't lie though - FFXI is definitely > to WoW when it comes to good community. Friends in FFXI are DIE-hard friends. I've come back three times, and every time I come back, the gear I'm being given gets better and better. The first time I came back, I got 500k and rank 5 when I was level 20. The second time I came back, I was in an HNM LS when I wasn't even level 60 yet, had all my AF in my MH when I was level 50 and by the time I was level 60 I was given 20 million gil from a Kraken club sale split and had enough money to buy gear for three jobs to 75.

Third time I'm back? I'm wearing Scorpion Harness +1 and I have a haubergeon +1 sitting in my safe. My friends never left, and whenever I come back they're always there to give me stuff. In WoW? My friends will always take me on runs, but they change guilds, realms, classes. People come and go so fast in WoW.

In all honesty, if you can't dedicate at least 2-3 weekends where you're putting in 6-10 hours a day just to level, don't pick this game up. It will chew you up and spit you out. It's not a casual game AT ALL. If you KNOW you can make the hump to 75, it's worth considering. S-E definitely added a LOT of casual aspects for a 75 to do. Campaigns, Besieged, BCNM's, level sync, meriting, lower HP mobs for XP'ing. The first time to 75 is an absolute nightmare, even after all the buffs, XP nerfs, level syncing and "newb gear", it's STILL a nightmare.

[quote name='Shimrra']
A real shame I think SE could make a fortune if they up the price of admin and then offer micro transactions but keep the game free.[/quote]

Or charging $10 for a day's worth of extra content or 80 inventory slots, they'd be rich! Oh wait...

Okay, I admit I'm kind of bitter having played the game for such a long time (Maxx on Pandemonium server, was a WHM75, DRG75 member of Kupo. I had Homam, Velocious Belt, I was next in line for a Valkerie's Fork from Odin before I stopped playing, etc etc.) If that short list wasn't enough to prove how bad I was, I could go on and on.

It's not a horrible game, it's just incredibly slow until you get to 75 with a job. But that's not too hard now with all these EXP+100% rings and Fields of Valor/Level Sync out. Usually (or at least in my case) anything stupid SquareEnix does, and this is often, is easily ignored because the friendships and bonds you can make on the game are well worth it. However, with the recent patches I'm convinced SquareEnix is actually attempting to screw FFXI up so the playbase leaves and plays Rapture when it's released.

Sounds like a good deal, so if I get this for the 360 and for the PC, would I be able to be in a party with my girlfriend? Or is there some complicated process to get us on the same server, because this'd be sweet to play over 'local multiplayer' ^__^

I'm going to grab this game because I hate myself! lol! I've always wanted to play but never had the time. Now that summer is coming up...

Been playing this game for 4 years and loving every day of it. It is definately better than WoW but of course im biased lol. Good deal for the game though.

tempted to get it just to have FF XI and complete all the numbered FF games...
no interest in the game tho... if I go back to a mmorpg, it would be that other something something ...

With the additions of Fields of Valor mid field quests (gives big exp and gil bonus for killing monsters you would have anyway, making it kinda easy to solo and party exp double what it used to be) and exp boosting buff rings, leveling is ALOT easier. Monsters even drop chests now. Its alot more accessible and fun to play than before.

Went to GS this morning and picked up a gutted copy. The manual was behind the counter in the CD sleeve so I don't think my CD key was taken or anything. I'm going to call around and see if anyone has a sealed copy though just to be safe.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to take my gutted copy back because I found it on Amazon for $17.99 and with free Prime shipping and the ECA discount, it comes out to like 4 cents cheaper and sealed so I ordered that instead. Just a head sup for everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up and have tried and tried to get back into the game and just can't do it. I love everything about the game except for the massive downtime between battles.

You should not have to sit and do nothing to rest for 5 minutes after every little battle. this completely detracts from all other aspects of the game. By the time I got to the second dungeon, with 4 or 5 monters in each hall, it was taking 20 minutes to get through one hallway. Coupled with the fact that the characters move so .. so slow ... and it brings the whole game down to a crawl.

Although this may be part of the game.... it takes away the most important part of any game... the fun. A game should be fun .. not a chore that you have to endure.

[quote name='PrinceVern']Sounds like a good deal, so if I get this for the 360 and for the PC, would I be able to be in a party with my girlfriend? Or is there some complicated process to get us on the same server, because this'd be sweet to play over 'local multiplayer' ^__^[/quote]

It's no longer complicated to get on the same server; you now choose the server you wish to play on.

I may get back into this game in about 2 months possibly. Id like to get on it from my college next year via External USB HDD.

I played this ages ago at launch for the pc. All I remember is frustrating pc controls. What is best option for pc control?

I really want to get into this game but do you need a monthly subscription to play or can you just play on your own without a subscription. And how do you go about getting a subscription, and what are the rates on it. Can you buy subscriptions on like amazon.com on the the cheap? Thanks CAGs!

[quote name='pollenandsalt']I picked this up the other day and when I got home, there were no discs inside the box!

Gamestop fails again.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I returned my gutted copy (I didn't rip the sticker) and bought from Amazon for 10 cents less with my ECA discount. New and sealed FTW!

Played this..and man. I loved it. Yeah, it was pretty tough to start out with, but it got addicting..quick. I'm thinking about picking this up as well, but not playing until I upgrade my HDD (20 gig ugh.). And I'm not too sure if I want the commitment of the P2P.

But I enjoyed it, right?

[quote name='LiquorLicks']Also there are a few different versions out for the xbox, which is the best version to buy?[/quote]
There's only two, the first FFXI pack (RoZ, CoP, ToAU expansions) and this Vana'diel Collection pack which includes every the first one has and the newest expansion, Wings of the Goddess. And yes, you can use your PC account on 360 and vice versa.

So is it confirmed that you can use the 30 day subscriptions at gamestop for $1.99 that are for the pc, on the xbox 360 version? Just bought the game today.

That's not a 30-day subscription card, it's a trial pack. Only has a DVD and registration code for the core game.

[quote name='XxSmityxX']REALLY thinking about picking this up now...

*Do you guys think 3-4 hours a day would let me progress in the game since the changes have been made?[/quote]

Took me 30 days (6 hours a day average.) to get to level 20 about 2 years ago. You do the math.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Took me 30 days (6 hours a day average.) to get to level 20 about 2 years ago. You do the math.[/quote]

That sounds like some horrible luck. What job were you playing? I've been playing since NA release and I've never had a problem such as that. I've taken 2 jobs to 37 in the past 3 weeks as a matter of fact. Also, I only play an average of 3 hours a day, some days more and some days less depending upon work, etc.

With the implementation of FoV, you shouldn't have much trouble. Even with the new Signet bonuses you're gonna be getting around 60exp for an easy prey kill -- which means that you can solo on almost any job.

3-4 hours a day is also plenty of time to do a end-game run such as Dynamis as well -- as they usually take around 3 hours. So yes, that's about my playtime and I get many things done in the game.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Took me 30 days (6 hours a day average.) to get to level 20 about 2 years ago. You do the math.[/quote]

A lot has changed since then: there is a wider range in mob levels that give you experience and with the addition of fields of valor soloing is much easier as well as gaining exp.

bread's done
Back