Final Fantasy XI

Ultros

CAGiversary!
I am thinking about buying this game but have a few questions...

1- Does this game require alot of memorization?

2- Is the story really good?

3- How many months with decent gameplay would it take to at least go to the final bosses in all the expansions?

4- How much is it monthly?

5- Is the game any fun?

Help is appreciated.

1- No. It's pretty menu based.
2- Story is pretty cool. Nothing earthshattering.
3- depends on how much time you put into it.
4- 12.95 + 1 dollar for each additional character
5- It's fun but you may get fed up with the party-dependancy. It's hard to just solo.

Above poster is correct. The fact that you absolutely need parties to get decent exp once you get further along turned me away from it. As a game it is awesome though.

Former RDM lvl 53... I know all about those f-ing parties. It's great if you can get into a clique and just party with them. Saves you the headaches of dealing with morons.

[quote name='Ultros']I am thinking about buying this game but have a few questions...

3- How many months with decent gameplay would it take to at least go to the final bosses in all the expansions?

5- Is the game any fun?

Help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

1-Not really, gets easy as you play

2-I like it, story is what you make it though, you could be the level cap and without doing much story, or you could get rank 10 in all countries, finish Rise of Zilart Story and Chains story, not to mention cool quest and dynamis

3-Well, ive had the game for over a year and a half, and im Level 75. It all depends how much time you put into it really, the game can be very addicting because there is just so MUCH that you can do

4- 12.95 and $1 for each additional character. If you cancel your account you have 3 months to play again or your character is deleted.

5- The game is tons of fun. There can be alot of drama in it at higher levels and it can be stessful at times, but the game is a blast since you meet really nice people. I met people that i still play with a year and a half later(granted i only play 1-2 times a week now instead of 7 :p). While one day all my stuff will be gone, got alot of fun memories and i made some good friendships which carry beyond the world of vanadiel

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Former RDM lvl 53... I know all about those f-ing parties. It's great if you can get into a clique and just party with them. Saves you the headaches of dealing with morons.[/QUOTE]

Warrior 75 :), the stories get ALOT better when you do things like rank 10, dynamis and sky(zilart missions). Not to mention you fight crazy HNMS and stuff that you cant possibly do at 53(most of those ls require 65+). Seeking party can suck, way more so for a melee then a mage though. In fact, if you had kept at it, you would rarely seek party and at 75 red mage can solo many things including level 70 avatars(ifrit etc) when they sub ninja.

[quote name='Weedy649']Warrior 75 :), the stories get ALOT better when you do things like rank 10, dynamis and sky(zilart missions). Not to mention you fight crazy HNMS and stuff that you cant possibly do at 53(most of those ls require 65+). Seeking party can suck, way more so for a melee then a mage though. In fact, if you had kept at it, you would rarely seek party and at 75 red mage can solo many things including level 70 avatars(ifrit etc) when they sub ninja.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I know it. I quit a few months ago. It was too stressful. I'd skip classes, I'd be stuck in a party til god awful hours. I was never able to leave being a valuable RDM.

I've only played the game a little but...

Not really.

Seemed kind of good up to where I played.

NO idea.

$13

5- Is the game any fun?

Not for me. Battles are too menu based, making it wierd on the PC. It's not very intuitive to click on an enemy and go through a menu to select your attacks. This game is made for a controller, not keyboard and mouse.

I found the graphics very bland (even @ 1680 x 1050 with max settings) compared to Guild Wars and World of Warcraft. The battle system and movement system seem too slow and clunky for my taste, but it's on par with other MMOs other than the two previously mentioned.

Not a lot... You don't get much in the line of skills that need special keys. (Baring caster classes) I generally only needed 1 spell bar full of macros for battle. There also isn't much along the lines of differentation. All characters have the same skills at the same level. All that changes is the skill of the player and the gear. The macros are nice. They allow a great deal of customization with minimal effort. The game is also entirely playable with just a keyboard and they have two default settings for normal keyboards and laptops.

I got to level 40 and I honestly cant tell you what the hell the game is about. There was some kind of war and now the beasts are assembling again. I remember cut scenes... but they were of trivial importance at best.

I played for about 2 months to get to level 40 as a thief. 10/15 as most others and ninja to 30.

5- Is the game any fun? It could be. Campers made getting the rarer items impossible because they only spawn every 5-10 hours and there were always 10-20 people waiting for each mob. Parties were a bitch to assemble and good parties were near impossible. However, in the event of a good party you pretty much just shut off your brain and do the same actions for 6 hours. The whole game is one giant grind. All the quests need a full party to take on and you can't solo anything that would give you any decent XP after level 15.

If you have a group of friends you'd play with, I'd recommend it, but other than that...

Oh, and I do have a copy to sell...

Not a lot... You don't get much in the line of skills that need special keys. (Baring caster classes) I generally only needed 1 spell bar full of macros for battle. There also isn't much along the lines of differentation. All characters have the same skills at the same level. All that changes is the skill of the player and the gear. The macros are nice. They allow a great deal of customization with minimal effort. The game is also entirely playable with just a keyboard and they have two default settings for normal keyboards and laptops.

I got to level 40 and I honestly cant tell you what the hell the game is about. There was some kind of war and now the beasts are assembling again. I remember cut scenes... but they were of trivial importance at best.

I played for about 2 months to get to level 40 as a thief. 10/15 as most others and ninja to 30.

5- Is the game any fun? It could be. Campers made getting the rarer items impossible because they only spawn every 5-10 hours and there were always 10-20 people waiting for each mob. Parties were a bitch to assemble and good parties were near impossible. However, in the event of a good party you pretty much just shut off your brain and do the same actions for 6 hours. The whole game is one giant grind. All the quests need a full party to take on and you can't solo anything that would give you any decent XP after level 15.

If you have a group of friends you'd play with, I'd recommend it, but other than that...

[quote name='redgopher']Playing Final Fantasy XI after playing World of Warcraft is like going slumming. You'll never play a better MMO than teh WoW.[/QUOTE]

ill 2nd that

For the most part, yea... but the macros offered more control. Wow does have a lot more spells and abilities. though. However, I wish there were weaponskills in WoW too.

[quote name='Kayden']The whole game is one giant grind.[/QUOTE]

The single most succinct description of FFXI I've ever read. Kudos.

the party thing sucks unless you're willing to be a character that people really want and there arn't a lot of... like white mages and summoners.

otherwise you're sitting around a lot looking for a group.

[quote name='redgopher']Playing Final Fantasy XI after playing World of Warcraft is like going slumming. You'll never play a better MMO than teh WoW.[/QUOTE]

Playing Final Fantasy XI after playing World of Warcraft is like slowly sticking a hotsauce covered fork in your eye.

The partying system in FFXI seriously turned me off to it. If you do not have the right gear, the right job, and the right amount of people to party with all at the same time, you literally cannot progress in that game. So if you can't solo, then you can't leave the lower level starting areas after level 20. Period. If the game stops and you can't play it, then you can't have fun.

If you die you lose experience, lose enough experience and you actually lose a level, often causing you to lose use of certain spells, attack skills, and armor. IMHO, this is just stupid.

None of the expansion packs have anything useful or even accessable to lower level beginning players. They are a waste of money unless your character gets to level 30, minimum.

The ingame economy sucks. Equipment people THINK your character class needs costs months of ingame farming/monster camping to get legitimately. Alot of higher level players cheat the system by buying ingame currancy for real money on illegal online websites (and most of these people will not admit it). So you will often see these players online making and joining parties (i.e. constantly playing and having fun) while you are left either in town or competing over some resource node spawn point to farm items to buy equipment that keeps ever increasing in price.

Gold farmers and monster campers will try to use in game glitches to get your player killed when you walk into thier staked territory.

Seriously, this game has so many problems. It would be so much better if the developers would address these problems.

My prediction is that unless these problems are addressed and the ingame mechanics are seriously altered, FFXI is going to die a rather quick death when it is ported over to the Xbox360. No Xbox360 player is going to stand more than 2 months of that crap when there are so many better online games on the market now.

I played the game for 3 months, got to level 60 RDM, and quit cold turkey, because it was dominating my life in ways that no game should. All MMOs have problems, and the poster above me just described most of the problems with every MMO out there. Say what you want about this game, but the job system in FFXI is the best feature in any MMO, period. And I've played almost all of them.

bread's done
Back