Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

[quote name='tightclaws']I have to say how much I hated this game. Easily the prettiest with the worst boring gameplay ever created possibly.[/QUOTE]
Go troll elsewhere.

[quote name='acidraine']Still new so I can't post the link.[/QUOTE]
Can you please post the link? just change . to (dot) and / to (slash)

[quote name='djricekcn']it's not trolling if he's stating his own opinion.[/QUOTE]

In this new world, having your OWN opinion means your a troll. I found FFXIII beautiful but boring, as well.

[quote name='djricekcn']it's not trolling if he's stating his own opinion.[/QUOTE]
It is when you derail a deal topic with your irrelevant shitty opinion that no one cares about and is 100% irrelevant to the deal.

Last I checked, this was a Deal forum, not a Whine-About-Games-You-Don't-Like forum. Why don't you go to IGNorant or failchan, those places would be better fits for you.

Well, the gameplay may be bad, but it's no Heavy Rain!

This game would be worth a try at $20. But it seems the price is tanking, so some people may want to wait. A lot of complaints are on linearity, so if you're fine with that, go ahead and buy it. Then challenge yourself by turning off the map, since the game is so pretty there aren't too many indicators on where to go.

well, not to be a downer or anything, but I agree with the "troll".. I played an hour of it and I haven't touched it since.. very disappointed in it. Little touches killed it for me, like the whole party healing and status effects being removed after every battle automatically, or if the party leader dies, it's game over. Also, you can't control anyone else, only the party leader.

There's no denying that it's a very, very pretty game, and the actual gameplay is kinda fun, but it's just... boring.

[quote name='iGen']It is when you derail a deal topic with your irrelevant shitty opinion that no one cares about and is 100% irrelevant to the deal.

Last I checked, this was a Deal forum, not a Whine-About-Games-You-Don't-Like forum. Why don't you go to IGNorant or failchan, those places would be better fits for you.[/QUOTE]

If you're saying that, you should've not commented the way you replied to his post. it's a lose lose situation if you're going to put it that way. He was still talking about FFXIII, he gave his opinion, and in return, it may help other people who are thinking about buying or not buying the game, Final Fantasy XIII

[quote name='iGen']Can you please post the link? just change . to (dot) and / to (slash)[/QUOTE]

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com

You have to be a reward zone member and use your card when you purchase the game. However it is free to sign up. Just print out the coupon and bring it in.

I thought the gameplay (the battle system) was one of the most thrilling of the JRPG genre personally. Loved it. Other than that it's FF RPG as usual, just less distraction (until you get to Chapter 11). You're just in a dungeon-like environment for the first 10 Chapters, and it makes sense because of the plot. Think about how many FF games you actually got to explore in? Yes you had an overworld, but there was NOTHING in it, except for the next city and random encounters with the hardly peppered special encounters. FF13 just trims the fat of the FF franchise, leaving the good parts of FF behind (fighting and searching for chests in the linear dungeons the series has always had).

I'm going to have to become a Reward Zone Member with prices like this being a possibility. Sure I already own the game but at this price I'd like to check it out on the 360 as well, for posterity.

[quote name='iGen']It is when you derail a deal topic with your irrelevant shitty opinion that no one cares about and is 100% irrelevant to the deal.

Last I checked, this was a Deal forum, not a Whine-About-Games-You-Don't-Like forum. Why don't you go to IGNorant or failchan, those places would be better fits for you.[/QUOTE]

Get over yourself..people will be asking how this game is and just because you don't like(or can't handle) their opinion(which, from what various things I've read, rings true with A LOT of people) doesn't mean it's "irrelevant" and "shitty".

I personally don't have any interest in the game, but if it somehow hit the $10 price point I probably would buy it.

viewDetails.jspx
viewDetails.jspx

I've always been a sucker for FF games, and just recently borrowed from a friend because I've gotten a JRPG itch. With that said, I may pick this up at $20 but I ordered Lost Odyssey for $12 and I'm honestly more excited to play that one, because I've heard much better things....

Be Careful too, some BB's won't take the coupon in addition to the sale price. I know I got shot down on Blur when it was on sale.

Wish I didn't buy this game at release for full price $20 seems more reasonable for it. Too me it just didn't feel like a FF game.

This game was awesome. I think people look into games too much and seem to forget that we play them to ENJOY them.

Linear? All FF's have been linear. Move ON. Come up with a different argument because it's cliche at this point.

For $20 bucks this game is a complete steal.

just my opinion though. once i got into the game i realized how great it was.

Thanks for posting the link, for some strange reason when I click special offers all I see are incomplete sentences like:

"on Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox 360) and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo DS). In store only and requires coupon."

Leaving me unable to print the coupons. :cry:

If you are logged into the gamer club site, the Special Offers page should have a huge list of Save $5, $10, $20 and bonus Reward point offers. The FF/Spirit Tracks is toward the middle. It should have a link to the coupon page.

I agree with the "trolls." The only redeeming bit gameplay is the "optional" part of this game, which if you aren't already sick of the game after the 40 hours to get to the good part, is decent enough. It was a good try, with an interesting story that had potential before it lost steam, but in the end turned out way too linear in combat for my tastes, making every fight a boring and tedious spasm of X-mashing, occasionally switching paradigms for those tough baddies. By the end of my time spent with FFXIII, I was begging for it to end. There was little fun left to be had, watching the game play itself with little reward for the player to intervene drained away what fun there was to be had.

I originally picked it up at $30 at release, and was unable to unload it before it lost value. At $20 its not too bad, if you can put up with the style changes and Vanille's warbling voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF XIII isn't worth it a full price but 19.99 is very reasonable. I also didn't enjoy FF XIII, they just don't make em like they used to and I hear they won't be anymore.

[quote name='Brain In Chains']Thanks for posting the link, for some strange reason when I click special offers all I see are incomplete sentences like:

"on Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox 360) and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo DS). In store only and requires coupon."

Leaving me unable to print the coupons. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I believe it does that if you have an ad blocker on. I have noticed this but disabled it then I could click it.

[quote name='nnickers']Might want to change the title to specify that it's only $20 for rewardzone members.[/QUOTE]
Not really; these coupons work for people without a card, but there's no reason not to have one since it's free and you earn points.

I'd have to agree with what most have said already, I was super excited for this....until I played it. As a long time fan of the series this was a massive let down.
But for $20 I'd say this is a reasonable price.

I hated this game and sold it to Gamestop because of the many reasons stated here (and I think Alpha Protocol is a better experience than FF XIII so take that one) but $20 is the right price to buy it back at for me! Thanks OP!

"Markdowns taken from regular prices. Not valid on sale prices and any other promotions except for Gamers Bonus Points"

doesn't this automatically invalidate it?

$20 is my price for this game. XD

Lots of people got stores that used both the BB coupon and manufacturer coupon for Blur, but others did not. I'm sure we'll see some reports over the course of this week.

Nice find, but I gotta say that at $60 this game was not worth it, and even at $20 it's still very meh in my book. I'd say that $10 is the sweet spot for this game. It's not terrible, but the game is the first in the series to feel like a chore.

[quote name='apathylad']This sounds like seriously YMMV. Anyone have any luck with using the coupon?[/QUOTE]
Nobody has reported NOT getting it with the coupon for $20. Everyone has been getting it just fine; not YMMV at all.

As a fan of JRPGs like Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, I have to say... this game is awesome. Sure it's more linear than most JRPGs, but that does an incredible service to the story.

I honestly feel a little bad for the people who dwell on the features that are missing instead of taking the game for what it is. Especially those who say the game doesn't get good until Chapter 11 -- I think they utterly missed the point of the game. It's not about wandering around doing meaningless sidequests, it's about the story, the characters, the world. Personally I think Chapter 11 was the weakest of all the chapters, because they put the story on the backburner at one of its most critical points. It was literally like hitting a brick wall, and killed all the tension they had built up to that point.

Basically, if you don't require your JRPGs to have a complete checklist of all standard JRPG features, and if you actually care about story and characters... this game is a steal for $20. It's a shame it was received as poorly as it was. It's a beautiful game... and I'm not talking about the graphics.

I have to say this is probably one of the worst FF games ever made. Now I usually buy the FF games every generation at least to try them. I enjoyed FFX and FFX-2 but playing a few hours of XIII (or should I say watching for hours) left me bored, frustrated, and wondering who thought this sort of slow direction would work. I agree with Wada, the FF franchise is on burnout -- it's truly at the end of its rope in terms of its current style and development/play. It's time for a complete revamp of the series. I'm glad a friend loaned it to me (after a few days, too, since he was so bored with it) because I don't think I'd be happy had I paid $60 for it.

That said, I'll of course pick this up SOME day. It's nowhere near my list of must-haves though. $20 sounds too much to me.

Coupon worked for me in CT. I also Had a $15 reward zone certificate so I used that too. Landed costing me $5.XX. Not too bad.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I have to say this is probably one of the worst FF games ever made..[/QUOTE]
not as bad as X-2 but yeah this was a pretty shitty FF

Might re-buy it for the lightning gamerpic =]

I'm surprised by all the negative feedback on the game. Did any of you actually get past the first 4 chapters (I agree those parts are quite boring) but everything about the game improves as you get farther into the game..

at $20, you really have nothing to lose (except 4-5 hours getting through the first few chapters ;) )

bread's done
Back