Final Fantasy XIII $19.99 at Best Buy w/$20 RZ coupon

acidraine

CAGiversary!
This may have been covered in the Best Buy ad forum, but I thought it should have it's own post.

Final Fantasy XIII is on sale at Best Buy this week for $39.99.

Just like Blur last month, if you are a Rewards Zone Gamer Club member, there is a printable coupon for $20 off FFXIII; making the final price $19.99.

Still new so I can't post the link.

This may be YMMV depending on your Best Buy's coupon policy, but it's their own fault that they put out these Gamer Rewards coupons the same weeks they have in-store sales on the games. If BB management gives you guff on this, one of your responses could be that you did the same thing with Blur last month and management gave the ok.

[quote name='downsouthtigger']Yes it will, I used both and got mine for $10 before tax. Also since I'm out of town I got a bonus, 2 copies of DA:O CE penny guides! Score![/QUOTE]

Wow that IS amazing. All my best buy's are gone!

[quote name='JoeCamNet']Pretty happy to get this at the Dickson City PA store today for $21.19.
Game wasn't worth it for $60, but it's much more tempting to give it a second shot at $20.[/QUOTE]

Why did you go to Dickson BB if you're in Luzerne? (I'm a local CAG!)

I don't get a chance to post online here at CAGs that often, but I just wanted to thank the thread OP for posting this!

Worked like a charm at my local BB this afternoon. Currently had a $15 Rewards Zone voucher, and was able to walk out with three copies of the PS3 version for about $48 after sales tax. No issues. No problems. The guy at the register scanned my Rewards Zone Silver card, scanned all three games, scanned my coupon, then finally scanned my $15 voucher. Could not have gone smoother!

Anyway, thanks again!

The Appleton East store in Wisconsin denied this for me. The strange thing is there was only one PS3 copy left.

[quote name='Romeo']Why did you go to Dickson BB if you're in Luzerne? (I'm a local CAG!)[/QUOTE]
I'm a local CAG too, but you both can have all the copies of FFXIII if you want. I can't stand the series. Now if it were flip worthy and getting 2-3x the $20 price after coupon, then ya might be fucked.;)

[quote name='DarkRider23']No more copies of 360 at Paramus Park BBY. I think I go the last PS3 version one. No PS3/360 at BBY in Garden State Plaza either.[/QUOTE]

I actually went to that bestbuy at 12 noon today-- I milled around at the cd section for a good 5 minutes-- then went upstair to pick up a copy. When I got there, there were only 2 copies of ps3 version. I picked up one. Didnt bother looking at the 360.

Funny story, the same place I was able to do the Blur Coupon/RZone coupon deal, shot me down for the Final Fantasy 13 in Concord, NC. Also tried to get Prince Of Persia for ($29.99 on sale) with the coupon in their Gamer magazine, until she read the back of it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm a local CAG too, but you both can have all the copies of FFXIII if you want. I can't stand the series. Now if it were flip worthy and getting 2-3x the $20 price after coupon, then ya might be fucked.;)[/QUOTE]

Already picked it up at KMart months back with their $35 deal. Still sealed and sitting on my shelf. Wanted to reminisce from my younger years with Final Fantasy.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Really? I've never seen it applied the other way. And even if that were true, this is a Best Buy coupon.

As far as I know, sales tax is supposed to be based on the amount of the sale (duh), meaning on the amount of money actually exchanged. If the item you bought was $40, but you paid only $20, then the tax is on $20 -- not on $40. That is flat-out wrong.

Think about it. Some of us I'm sure have had coupons that have allowed us to buy items for free -- do you pay tax on that? I never have and you're not supposed to.

Again, this might vary from state to state, but I'm frankly not understanding how a SALES tax somehow doesn't apply to the actual SALE amount.[/QUOTE]

Manufacturer's coupons work like cash or a gift card or something. Think of someone paying the retailer on your behalf... it's money that comes back to Best Buy AFTER the sale (as they have to redeem it to get paid). Best Buy coupons are just written off internally as promotional/etc so they bring the price down immediately.

Basically, the transaction WAS for $40-- it's just you paid $20 and the manufacturer paid $20. Best Buy still gets $40 from it.

Who the fuck cares if you love one game and you hate another? Only pathetic and weak individuals allow other people to change their opinion about something as subjective as a video game.

[quote name='thegreek']In this new world, having your OWN opinion means your (sic) a troll.[/QUOTE]
Truer words were never spoken.

[quote name='Justin42']Manufacturer's coupons work like cash or a gift card or something. Think of someone paying the retailer on your behalf... it's money that comes back to Best Buy AFTER the sale (as they have to redeem it to get paid). Best Buy coupons are just written off internally as promotional/etc so they bring the price down immediately.

Basically, the transaction WAS for $40-- it's just you paid $20 and the manufacturer paid $20. Best Buy still gets $40 from it.[/QUOTE]

^ what he said.

So when I bought a single copy at bestbuy when blur was for sale, I got credited $30 bucks towards my bestbuy reward zone account and not $11 bucks. Thats 1/4 a $10 Gift certificates. Fantastic.

No problems with the coupon. Had to ask someone to check the back and got one of the last few copies...
Also picked up Zelda Spirit Tracks while I was there. There were many many copies of this around though

This is all Ann Arbor, MI

[quote name='Justin42']Manufacturer's coupons work like cash or a gift card or something. Think of someone paying the retailer on your behalf... it's money that comes back to Best Buy AFTER the sale (as they have to redeem it to get paid). Best Buy coupons are just written off internally as promotional/etc so they bring the price down immediately.

Basically, the transaction WAS for $40-- it's just you paid $20 and the manufacturer paid $20. Best Buy still gets $40 from it.[/QUOTE]

You do know this is NOT a manufacturer's coupon, right? It's Best Buy's coupon. So like I said, even if you're right about manufacturer's coupons (which I wish I knew the real answer since I again have never been charged tax against the "real" price, only against the sale price), this one wasn't a manufacturer's coupon.

Transaction was for $19.99. You should be taxed only for that amount. I don't think Best Buy pays itself the difference. :)

[quote name='Estebon']So when I bought a single copy at bestbuy when blur was for sale, I got credited $30 bucks towards my bestbuy reward zone account and not $11 bucks. Thats 1/4 a $10 Gift certificates. Fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Really, this early/fast? Doesn't it say it takes them 35 days to give you the points? Mine have not shown up yet.

This was using the man q and rz q right?

This is a good deal, I've really enjoyed it but I knew it was linear and cinematic...rather than a more free-form RPG like Dragon Age.

Obviously PS3 is the choice for here for the best graphics, but don't let that put you off the 360 version...it looks and plays quite well. That is, unless you are a PC AA aficionado...a few jaggy lines in the course of play aren't going to bother me.

[quote name='romeogbs19']You do know this is NOT a manufacturer's coupon, right? It's Best Buy's coupon. So like I said, even if you're right about manufacturer's coupons (which I wish I knew the real answer since I again have never been charged tax against the "real" price, only against the sale price), this one wasn't a manufacturer's coupon.

Transaction was for $19.99. You should be taxed only for that amount. I don't think Best Buy pays itself the difference. :)[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight but we were specifically talking about manufacturer's coupons and being taxed for the entire amount.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong.

[quote name='Estebon']So when I bought a single copy at bestbuy when blur was for sale, I got credited $30 bucks towards my bestbuy reward zone account and not $11 bucks. Thats 1/4 a $10 Gift certificates. Fantastic.[/QUOTE]
No shit? I should instantly be getting one GC coming back to me then. That deal keeps on giving lol.

[quote name='nixmahn']Really, this early/fast? Doesn't it say it takes them 35 days to give you the points? Mine have not shown up yet.

This was using the man q and rz q right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unless silver members get their points faster, I'm calling bullshit. Blur went on sale the 18th. It has not been 35 days.

I picked mine up at the Fair Lakes Best Buy in VA. No problem with the coupon, and if the empty boxes are any indication, there should be 2-3 of them left.

I also picked up PoP for the Wii, since $20 is a good price for that as well.

You're partly right. Sales on games are normally reimbursed by manufacturers. The way it works is that Best Buy will sell the game at the sale price and then they take the necessary steps to do the "manufacturer rebate" part of it to get it reimbursed by the company who provided the sale to them. So to answer some people's question, yes, on many sale items there is a manufacturer's coupon behind it, but many times the retailer does it for you after with something they worked out with the manufacturer. This is why it is difficult to match sales that are not in a certain week because these deals manufacturers work out with retailers only last a week, so if they price match something when the promotion isn't going on, then Best Buy will have to eat that money. And in this case, it's even worse for Best Buy because the manufacturer will not reimburse them for both the $20 and the $20 Gamer's Club coupon, so they will be eating a lot of money for this deal, although they might do everything they can to fight the manufacturer for both reimbursement since I am guessing they will lose quite a bit if they don't. And it doesn't matter what it says on your Gamer's club coupon does not apply to sale item, it just matters if the manufacturer will approve it for them or not, so don't say, "It's written on the coupon" since that is for employees and customer use, not the corporate use.

Personally I did not get taxed on the original amount, but the discounted amount, so I think that just depends on your state possibly, but then again I've had this happen to me before at other places, so not sure.

Hope that's helpful, or if anythings confusing, I'll try to clear up.

[quote name='confoosious']Dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight but we were specifically talking about manufacturer's coupons and being taxed for the entire amount.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong.[/QUOTE]

Totally -- not trying to pick a fight, either ;-) I'm not sure how this system exactly works, but it was my understanding that discounts of the sort done by the retailer are not reimbursed by the manufacturer. It's merely a discount the retailer is offering to rid itself of inventory.

I'm not sure Squarehard is totally right on this one. Not all sales are done through discussions with the manufacturers. I know this because I used to work in marketing. Retailer discounts are sometimes negotiated but certainly not all the time (or even most of the time). Best Buy paid Square Enix a per unit cost to acquire inventory. Now what BB paid for that inventory depends on the order, but in the end, it's BB that decides to sell the item for $x and manages its profits. It can't go too under the MSRP but the law around that isn't entirely clear (esp. after the Supreme Court's ruling on that a few years back). Square could sue BB if BB sold its games for too little, but then there's the reality of that -- Square probably doesn't want to sue a big retailer like BB because it needs to sell its games; on the flip-side, BB doesn't want to peeve SE because it needs its inventory at a good deal (and exclusives, blah blah).

Bottomline: My guess is this $20 coupon is a BB-only thing. I don't think you should be paying tax on $40, just $20. But may be there are state laws that allow different interpretations (if true, that's really strange and something that should be changed).

The Puente Hills Best Buy cashier refused to scan the coupon cuz she said it was already on sale. Gonna try to find a different cashier today.

For anyone in Springfield, IL:

The store on Veterans Parkway had at least 5 copies left and did not put up any protest at all about coupon use.

Got the last PS3 copy here in Coral Springs, FL with no problems. Checked to see if there were any Xbox copies as well and that was gone too, people have really been taking advantage of this deal it seems. With this deal and the blur one a while back seeing so much action, I think Best buy is gonna start to be a bit more cautious in it's coupon release timing. Anyways, thanks OP for the heads up.

Picked up a copy for the PS3... there were at least 10 more copies left. Didn't bother checking the 360 version.

I'm kinda surprised I found anything at all... usually, my BB is picked clean within hours of any sale.

I just picked up my copy.

It worked on:
8900 South Lafayette Avenue, Chicago, IL‎ - (773) 723-5458

No hassles, no fuzz. Walked in, picked up my copy, gave the cashier a smile, my card and my coupon and she scanned it with no problem.

In/out: 3 minutes.

I got this game in a trade and really didn't care for it. They started talking about L'cies and Fal'cies and I just kinda lost interest, and traded it away. However it might be worth picking up a copy for 20 bucks, if only to trade on CL for Heavy Rain, lol. I have a feeling BB might fight me on this one, but as long as I don't mention that it's already on sale, it should be fine.

Nice, thanks OP - ended up picking up the 360 version (have the PS3 version already) and a copy of Spirit Tracks: coupon took $20 off each, no problems.

Went to the 23rd st store in NYC (at around 2:15p today) - no PS3 version on the shelf, still some 360 versions, and I think I got the last copy of Spirit Tracks on the shelf.

i didn't like this game at full price, but for $20 i'll take it. I picked up a 360 copy today w/ the coupon, no hassle at all. Thanks.

I picked this up and there were like 10-20 copies left. The cashier didn't even look at the coupon they just scanned it, which has been my experience with every cashier at the store. I really don't understand the Best Buy nazi employee horror stories.

[quote name='nixmahn']Really, this early/fast? Doesn't it say it takes them 35 days to give you the points? Mine have not shown up yet.

This was using the man q and rz q right?[/QUOTE]

Um, I wasn't saying that I got it credited already. What I said was if it counts as cash, than instead of just getting $11 bucks towards my purchase, I got $30+ bucks towards it.

[quote name='miroresh']I just picked up my copy.

It worked on:
8900 South Lafayette Avenue, Chicago, IL‎ - (773) 723-5458

No hassles, no fuzz. Walked in, picked up my copy, gave the cashier a smile, my card and my coupon and she scanned it with no problem.

In/out: 3 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I heard some people got held up there. Be careful dude. Thats a ghetto ass store.

Deal worked just fine for me.

They wouldn't take my $5 reward zone certificate though, but I happily withdrew it and said I would use it another time.

This movie is definitely worth $20.

[quote name='paynus']The coupon does say "20 dollars to be taken off of regular price" but the bestbuy in Kansas City didn't seem to care.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the PS3 version yesterday for $20 at the one off of 115th and Metcalf without any problem as well. :D

[quote name='JorgeC']The Puente Hills Best Buy cashier refused to scan the coupon cuz she said it was already on sale. Gonna try to find a different cashier today.[/QUOTE]

By Puente Hills, do you mean the one in City of Industry, CA? I didn't think another CAG lived in the area =D Got denied there too, we must be very unlucky.....she was the only cashier at the time too. That's what, the second store in the whole country to deny it?

Just had success over at the Olympia (at the mall) Best Buy. Didn't need to give any of my info over either, so this isn't on my rewards account - not sure how that works, but I'm not arguing. Hope some of this is helpful for someone else.

Last ps3 copy in the simi valley store. Took the coupon no problem. I also had a $20 gift card so i only ended up spending $1.64 so i was very happy about that. I think the people hating on the game is funny. Its cheap, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. Simple.

Mine worked. Took them a few minutes and I was getting a little worried but then they apologized and said we're both new so we're a little slow. Needless to say got it for the ps3 :whistle2:D

Got to chapter 8 or so and got bored, I didn't care about the story or the people, and the game was too linear. A friend tells me it gets better around Chapter 10 or so, should I try again?

bread's done
Back