Final Fantasy XIII-2 $44.99 at toysrus.com

[quote name='VA']Okay, just because 13 was a 'dud' (I enjoyed it), doesn't mean that every FF game after it is going to suck. I imagine that this new one will more closely resemble more distant iterations of FF rather than the last version.

I think that they were wrapped up in making 14 and couldn't flush 13 out all the way.

Give them a break is all I'm saying.[/QUOTE]
You still have the same fight system, so if that's what you hated, don't get it. It's not turn-based, or an action-rpg, but lets you pick 'classes' for your 3 characters (one of which will be a monster most of the time it seems :roll:). I loved the switch-up, but I hope they do turn based again one day.

[quote name='rperez1025']
One of the few FFs that I had to go back and grind a bit to gain more experience to make it through the main story.[/QUOTE]

...its all main story and cutscenes. I'll take the illusion of running in a circle doing some grinding and having a working monetary system over walking through a paper thin hallway anyday and the reason FF13 was a success is because of the simple fact its riding on its name. They should try biting off smaller pieces and not rushing out a lackluster game riding on the back of an otherwise great franchise. Its to bad that these companies are more interested in making a buck than a good experience. Makes me almost wonder how FF14 turned out as well. SE may be very well destroying a great franchise just as madden and cod have turned to useless cashcows. Same agenda of making money with as little effort as possible...and in comes FF13-2...Yay

Thankfully Skyrim will keep me occupied long enough for this junk to hit the 5 dollar bargain bin, maybe then I will buy a few of these and use them as target practice in a field to help rid the world of a disappointing experience. Hopefully SE can salvage what little pride seems to remain and turn out something worthwhile next time.

I am debating switching my preorder. How is ToysRUs with this. Will they charge my credit card right away.?Will it be easy to cancel the order if Amazon price matches?

[quote name='elitedemo']...its all main story and cutscenes. I'll take the illusion of running in a circle doing some grinding and having a working monetary system over walking through a paper thin hallway anyday and the reason FF13 was a success is because of the simple fact its riding on its name. They should try biting off smaller pieces and not rushing out a lackluster game riding on the back of an otherwise great franchise. Its to bad that these companies are more interested in making a buck than a good experience. Makes me almost wonder how FF14 turned out as well. SE may be very well destroying a great franchise just as madden and cod have turned to useless cashcows. Same agenda of making money with as little effort as possible...and in comes FF13-2...Yay

Thankfully Skyrim will keep me occupied long enough for this junk to hit the 5 dollar bargain bin, maybe then I will buy a few of these and use them as target practice in a field to help rid the world of a disappointing experience. Hopefully SE can salvage what little pride seems to remain and turn out something worthwhile next time.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that you're so passionate about your own personal opinion. Stop living in your dream world where every FF game that's going to be released is going to match the scale and groundbreaking gameplay/story aspects that their predecessors did...and maybe then you'll appreciate the direction that SE is trying to go to. They wanted to do something different and FFXIII was just that - and it was a huge success (is there any other way to measure success of a video game other than through commercial success and critical acclaim? The game has an 85/8.1 average on Metacritic for God's sake).

Granted, it wasn't what a lot of FF vets expected, I myself included. But I also understood the crossroads between rehashing the same formula, and going out and trying something different. It's already been said that FFXIII-2 is better than its predecessor in every aspect, so i'm inclined to believe it. For as long as this franchise has extended its games, there's no doubt that there are going to be a few games that are lemons to some people. It's all about perspective, and how you choose to enjoy a game. I don't tackle ANY FF game as if i'm trying to be as impressed as I was when I first played FFVII/VIII, and that's worked wonders for me (and that happens to be the reality of the situation - at some point, FF games just aren't and shouldn't be compared to previous incarnations).

[quote name='MillionBlades']Does anyone know if Amazon will Price mach this price for a pre-order?[/QUOTE]

Was going to ask the same thing -- what are the chances?

Also just submitted a Price Match on Amazon. I don't really know if there were times before when they were able to PM Toys R Us.com's prices, unless you guys know or have heard something.

I've been submitting the price to Amazon for days, I don't think they're going to match it though. They didn't match Newegg at this price and haven't matched ToysRUs after nearly a week. :(

[quote name='newtype06']Also just submitted a Price Match on Amazon. I don't really know if there were times before when they were able to PM Toys R Us.com's prices, unless you guys know or have heard something.[/QUOTE]
They did match Alice: Madness Returns when TRU had its preorder at $44.99. They may be counting on this game having a bigger audience though.

[quote name='schulerbob']I'll probably play it at some point, though not right away. And I didn't hate X-III. I liked the combat system.[/QUOTE]

Same boat...enjoyed 13 but im not paying more than 20 for this.

Just going to toss in that I absolutely loved the combat system in FFXIII, easily my favorite in the series. I will not deny that it took a while before combat consisted of doing anything other than pressing A (again as people have mentioned this is the case with almost all FF games, you don't even press buttons in XII from what I remember), but once you get later in the game the combat is very deep and correct paradigm setup and switching is vital.

Beating the last boss hunt monster under the time limit actually felt like a great accomplishment with the incredible amount of paradigm shifting and timing required to keep Slow up on the boss immediately after each reset while trying to build stagger quickly, all the while the boss is doing very high damage and always needing to be ready for the Sentinel x3 switch for his super move, which you have like a split second to respond to. I honestly can not remember the last time a FF boss was that legitimately challenging, not including FFXI of course.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']They did match Alice: Madness Returns when TRU had its preorder at $44.99. They may be counting on this game having a bigger audience though.[/QUOTE]

How long it took them to PM Alice from TRU?

Amazon really needs to match this since I would much prefer to get it from there with their pre-order bonus and no tax (not sure if TRU even charges or not, though). Hate to miss out on that deal though waiting for them to take the hint, and I'd imagine that their bonus could be bought for a small price later on down the line....hmmmmm. :whistle2:k

[quote name='NocturneManiac']Amazon really needs to match this since I would much prefer to get it from there with their pre-order bonus and no tax (not sure if TRU even charges or not, though). Hate to miss out on that deal though waiting for them to take the hint, and I'd imagine that their bonus could be bought for a small price later on down the line....hmmmmm. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

TRU.com does charge tax, at least it always has for me. As for the bonus it is 240 msp in Japan so I'd estimate its value at $3. I'm left deciding if release day delivery and paying with credit is worth the remaining $5 difference.

i liked a lot FF XIII, the price could be better i waiting for a 20 or less price range since it will feature DLC its going to be hard to invest that much, in fact i think that we can wait for goty version...

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Do you guys think this will sell well here? Apparently it sold poorly in Japan.[/QUOTE]
It's all relative. It sold "poorly" compared to recent Final Fantasy games maybe, but not like there's any other FF on PS3 to compare to besides FFXIII itself. I don't remember exact sale numbers, but it was something like 525,000 which is not a number most games can reach in Japan, especially for a console game.

I think it'll sell well here, as long as reviewers give this a fair shake and don't go in expecting it to be bad, because then their perceptions are already soured. I mean, the developers addressed just about every complaint people had with FFXIII, so what are they going to complain about now? Reviews from Japan showed that the game was improved in just about every way.

The people that keep criticizing FFXIII is a very vocal minority, and I highly, highly doubt this will see $20 soon or whatever fantasy number people are coming up with. I remember even for FFXIII it took a while before Best Buy made a coupon for it when it was on sale for $40, making it $20 after coupon. And that was very YMMV, because the coupon wasn't supposed to stack. So if you want to play this game anytime soon, I'd probably look towards K-Mart, if Josh doesn't leave.

When this game came out in Japan it got a lot of mixed ratings. I was hoping for a 100% improvement from FF13 but it looks like there were some downgrades...

I'm questioning if it's even worth $45 at this point.

[quote name='akir']seeing as how this game is pretty much content taken from the first ff13 so it could fit on the 360, it shouldn't be a full price game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The FF series doesn't need to mimic the CoD or football games.

bread's done
Back