Final Fantasy XIII for $59.99 in Amazon pre order + $10 Game Credit in Amazon

ALokenauth

CAGiversary!
Final Fantasy XIII for $56.99 in Amazon pre order + $10 Game Credit in Amazon

http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=180263...mes&field-keywords=Final+Fantasy+XIII&x=0&y=0:ps3: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263298856&sr=8-1
:360: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263298856&sr=8-2

Order Final Fantasy XIII and get $10 off a future video game purchase. The promotion code will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account up to two (2) business days after your product ships. To redeem your reward, add a Video Games item sold and shipped by Amazon.com to your shopping cart and proceed to checkout. The discount will be visible after you have begun the checkout process. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer valid for one purchase per customer. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)

If price drop anytime before the game release. You would get the lowest price. Also you can always cancel the Preorder before the game shipped out.

PS3 Version is 1 disk Blu-ray, 360 is 4 DVD's.
Japan version sold close to 2 millions copies.

Japanese magazine Famitsu, gave Final Fantasy XIII near-perfect score 39/40.
Dengeki PlayStation praised the battle system, stating "the battles are by far the most exciting in the series", and they concluded "FF13 desrves a score of 120, a 100 is not enough

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='exileinoblivion']Have you ever considered that some people are cancelling their preorders because all signs point to a soon price drop or deal? I can't speak for everyone but being a cheapass when I actually pony up the cash for a full priced game it's usually because it's a must own title, otherwise I bide my time and wait till I can get it cheaper. Due to the long development time and the normal final fantasy name people were thinking this was going to be a must own but the fact of the matter is it looks like it's actually a weaker entry in the series thus dropping it from a must own to a "play when I can get it cheaper."

I'll admit I love Final Fantasy and I was looking forward to this but I'll probably wait till I can get it a little cheaper now. Not to mention FFXII already gave me doubts about the final fantasy name and now reading some of the reviews just confirms that I'm not exactly sure I'll be into the new direction square seems to be going anymore with the series.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm not bashing the game...in fact I will be getting it. But as I stated a couple days ago...after checking out Amazon Japan, and noticing that because of the 3 star customer rating out of 2,000 customer reviews, the price of the game new dropped 62% in just under 3 months.

That's a big drop. The same sentiment is taking place here as in Japan...so it's safe to say this game will drop in price dramatically as well in short order. I'm patient and I have plenty to play in the meantime. I think I'll use my $20 Amazon GC either towards GOW3...that game will retain it's value for a looooong time just like Uncharted.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Have you ever considered that some people are cancelling their preorders because all signs point to a soon price drop or deal? I can't speak for everyone but being a cheapass when I actually pony up the cash for a full priced game it's usually because it's a must own title, otherwise I bide my time and wait till I can get it cheaper. Due to the long development time and the normal final fantasy name people were thinking this was going to be a must own but the fact of the matter is it looks like it's actually a weaker entry in the series thus dropping it from a must own to a "play when I can get it cheaper."
[/quote]

My post was directed at the people who clearly were canceling because of the reviews. If you read back through the thread you'll see what I mean. Nothing wrong with waiting for a price drop. Hell, there are basically only four franchises that I absolutely always buy on release day: Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter, and Zelda.

I'll admit I love Final Fantasy and I was looking forward to this but I'll probably wait till I can get it a little cheaper now. Not to mention FFXII already gave me doubts about the final fantasy name and now reading some of the reviews just confirms that I'm not exactly sure I'll be into the new direction square seems to be going anymore with the series.

Opinion respected. Curious, though, that XII gave you doubts about the franchise when XIII is almost the exact opposite. It's linear where XII was the most open-world FF yet, and it has zero towns as opposed XII, which had the largest towns of any other FF game before it. Not to mention the plot of XIII revolves around the characters themselves, and their development, rather than the unraveling of an empire in XII. That said, most of the American reviews are bashing XIII for everything that XII had, that is missing in XIII. So it's strange than you may be letting XII put you off from XIII.

Personally, I'm digging this game much more than XII. But it's not because I don't like more open-world games; I just happen to prefer the characters and story of XIII more. And to me, that's more important. I recognize the quality of XII, and overall I enjoyed it, but the fact remains that it's still my least favorite Final Fantasy. Just goes to show that open-world travel and huge towns aren't everything. In my opinion, JRPGs are all about the story and the gameplay; two factors at which XIII seems to excel in. When all is said and done I'm sure I'll kind of miss not being able to bullshit around and talk to people in towns and whatnot, but when I look at the big picture, that's always been a small little charm of a FF game compared to the rest of it.

i think a linear gameplay design is a good move. i mean, i loved fallout 3, but after i beat it, i only discovered like 50% of the map. I'm not really one to go back and wander through the world afterwards..

plus there is still an "open world" - its just reduced to the last quarter of the game.

also, i can somwhat agree with the way "towns" are now created. i personally did not enjoy the times when i came upon a new, large town.. for me, that mean walking through empty houses and talking to mindless chatter of the townsfolk... while that does build some atmosphere, i felt like it was wasted time... (not always - FF9 had good town "chatter")...

so, i'm willing to check this game out...!

There is still things to do after you beat FFXIII. As you still get to save and control your character(s) after the final boss.

I want the game badly, but I'm thinking that there will be a million used copies and a million more unsold new copies on shelves.

It's a tough decision, but I think I'm going to hold off on it.

[quote name='Obertor34']I want the game badly, but I'm thinking that there will be a million used copies and a million more unsold new copies on shelves.

It's a tough decision, but I think I'm going to hold off on it.[/QUOTE]

its not a tough one for me, I'll support Square-Enix to prove my point they should have been on PS3 all this time.

Yeah I'm buying PS3 version on release day, 60hrs for $60 is only $1 an hour so it's worth my my money even for a cheapass
All of you 360 users should cancel your preorders anyway, Final Fantasy does not belong on a Micro$oft console anywayz

[quote name='technole']its not a tough one for me, I'll support Square-Enix to prove my point they should have been on PS3 all this time.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the 30 or so dollars they make from you will definitely let the CEO's in charge of the decision making at Square Enix know that they should never have defected to the big evil microsoft and allowed more gamers to enjoy they're game so they could make more money. :roll:. Unbelieveable.

I too will be waiting on a price drop. In japan the games price tanked as stores had way too much stock. If that happened in Japan it will only be worse here. I do very much look forward to playing it though.

[quote name='Sushi-X']
Opinion respected. Curious, though, that XII gave you doubts about the franchise when XIII is almost the exact opposite. It's linear where XII was the most open-world FF yet, and it has zero towns as opposed XII, which had the largest towns of any other FF game before it. Not to mention the plot of XIII revolves around the characters themselves, and their development, rather than the unraveling of an empire in XII. That said, most of the American reviews are bashing XIII for everything that XII had, that is missing in XIII. So it's strange than you may be letting XII put you off from XIII.

Personally, I'm digging this game much more than XII. But it's not because I don't like more open-world games; I just happen to prefer the characters and story of XIII more. And to me, that's more important. I recognize the quality of XII, and overall I enjoyed it, but the fact remains that it's still my least favorite Final Fantasy. Just goes to show that open-world travel and huge towns aren't everything. In my opinion, JRPGs are all about the story and the gameplay; two factors at which XIII seems to excel in. When all is said and done I'm sure I'll kind of miss not being able to bullshit around and talk to people in towns and whatnot, but when I look at the big picture, that's always been a small little charm of a FF game compared to the rest of it.[/QUOTE]

Funny that you say that because if certain aspect from XII and XIII were combined it would be pretty much perfect to me. In XII what killed me was the story and lack of character development which is one thing that I always loved in Final Fantasy games. In XIII what's killing it for me is the linear aspect, I mean I can handle linear like in Magna Carta 2 but even that seems like it's much bigger than FFXIII. Unfortunetly from the sounds of it the story in XIII is a little lacking but that's something Id rather judge for myself. I don't let reviews sway me from purchases but they can sway me from day one purchases and in XIII's case it seems smart to wait for a price drop.

In essence what I said about XII was that it showed me more that Square doesn't know how to deliver to it's fan's anymore.

[quote name='genfuyung']Yeah the 30 or so dollars they make from you will definitely let the CEO's in charge of the decision making at Square Enix know that they should never have defected to the big evil microsoft and allowed more gamers to enjoy they're game so they could make more money. :roll:. Unbelieveable.

I too will be waiting on a price drop. In japan the games price tanked as stores had way too much stock. If that happened in Japan it will only be worse here. I do very much look forward to playing it though.[/QUOTE]

They have to recoup that Crystal Tools engine investment time. I don't blame them for going multiplatform. Although it was obviously a rush job, but it does not concern me.

What is unbelievable is people buying used and supporting the GameStop empire. Doesn't matter FFXIII already outsold the 360 worldwide. There is no 360 version in JP, so regardless of what I said it won't matter.

I have 2 CE coming and knew it was flip top box, but still... very underwhelming when you actually see it, especially when he slides its contents out *cry*

still can't wait to play it. hope it goes through custom without delay.

[quote name='wasabi5858']I have 2 CE coming and knew it was flip top box, but still... very underwhelming when you actually see it, especially when he slides its contents out *cry*

still can't wait to play it. hope it goes through custom without delay.[/QUOTE]

It is a bit underwhelming to me because I wanted a steelbook. Also the art prints being on both sides sucks!! Why not just print them on 6 seperate sheets? :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

It is all good though. I look forward to getting mine cuz I can say I got a CE of the game :D

Steelbooks are nice, but I really like Warcraft / WoW's collector's edition style. Big box, nice presentation etc and still not ridiculously overpriced. Boxes like that with SE/Japanese touch would've been beautiful.

blah, just noticed that the inside of the cover does not have any artwork. I will see for myself, but from what I can gather with various pics online, the NA edition of the actual game case/coverart/backside and manual is better (other than the Japanese release. I like the simplistic cover with no character).

[quote name='Mako1215']Can't wait till Tuesday. Eff reviews lol

I have loved many a games that reviews said were poo.[/QUOTE]

Amen, Brotha. Even though the reviews aren't bad, necessarily. Still Eff 'em!

[quote name='Mako1215']Can't wait till Tuesday. Eff reviews lol

I have loved many a games that reviews said were poo.[/QUOTE]
Because you actually use your brain, most people on the web are idiots though. If you tell them to eat shit, they will eat shit.

I went ahead and ate the cost of ordering through Amazon with Release day shipping. It's only a bit more than tax would be on buying it in store and the $10 Amazon credit is of more use to me than Target or Best Buy (deal match) credit. I don't plan on making the mistake of delaying my purchase of other games with a price break in the future.

[quote name='salazarmark']Because you actually use your brain, most people on the web are idiots though. If you tell them to eat shit, they will eat shit.[/QUOTE]
Honestly when a game gets mixed reviews it's usually for legitimate reasons. Sure everyone has to make up their own mind about games they enjoy, but I find buying games while throwing professional reviews to the curb a waste of money.

[quote name='salazarmark']Because you actually use your brain, most people on the web are idiots though. If you tell them to eat shit, they will eat shit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because not paying $60 for a game that is getting mixed reviews without ever playing it yourself is completely idiotic. It's much more rational to argue for something you have no knowledge about.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Here is an unboxing video of the CE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHVomzZc_Wo

I ordered one of these :D[/QUOTE]

Hmph. Thanks for posting; I'm glad I watched that. To be honest I was feeling a little sore that they weren't releasing the CE here in the States, but now I know I'm not missing much. Game + CE Guide + LE Soundtrack ftw. Then I'll pick up that art book from the CE on eBay in a month or two for probably less than $10 and be done with it.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Honestly when a game gets mixed reviews it's usually for legitimate reasons. Sure everyone has to make up their own mind about games they enjoy, but I find buying games while throwing professional reviews to the curb a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dino88']Yes, because not paying $60 for a game that is getting mixed reviews without ever playing it yourself is completely idiotic. It's much more rational to argue for something you have no knowledge about.[/QUOTE]

Except that it's not getting mixed reviews; they're all pretty much giving the game an 8 to 9 and saying the same things about it. Basically it's a great game, just not fantastic. They all compliment it for the same things and insult it for the same things...there's nothing mixed about it. A lot of morons out there have apparently set their standards for this game so high that they are somehow now convincing themselves that an 8-9 is a shitty rating. Personally, I think it's hilarious that people get so hyped about things to the point where they no longer think clearly. I don't really care who buys the game on release day or not. But the reviews aren't mixed.

...just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez people. I personally am a Final Fantasy nut so I am getting this game at release and I'm sure I will enjoy it despite some reservations. But is it really so crazy that some people are on the fence, and negative points brought up in reviews are enough to make them think, maybe I don't need to spend $60 to get this day one? Everybody has the right to make their own decision for their own reasons. Also remember that a $60 purchasing decision may be a much bigger deal to someone else than it is to you.

I don't know about you guys, but the only reviewers on metacritic that I even care a sliver about are Gamespot (score: 85), Gamespy (score: 90), 1UP (score 91), and Game Informer (score: 93). I read Games Radar's review and I thought it made a couple of really good points. Their score of 100 is obviously a bit generous, but it did make a very positive impression on the reviewer.

Basically, you'll think this is an amazing game if you can get past the fact that the first 30 hours or so are completely linear and that there is no sappy romance story. I know people have the right to think what they want but... I mean, we knew this from the beginning. A couple reviewers give it a less-than-perfect score for something we already knew about and boom, people start dropping their preorders. I don't really understand... but to each his own, I guess.

I find it hilarious that people are on the fence about this game. Sure, it's getting 8-9/10, but that's still above average, and everything still points to it being a great experience. Yet absolute crap like EDF2017 and Onechanbara come out and everyone shits their pants and absolutely has to have it.

[quote name='Sushi-X']
Except that it's not getting mixed reviews; they're all pretty much giving the game an 8 to 9 and saying the same things about it. Basically it's a great game, just not fantastic. They all compliment it for the same things and insult it for the same things...there's nothing mixed about it. A lot of morons out there have apparently set their standards for this game so high that they are somehow now convincing themselves that an 8-9 is a shitty rating. Personally, I think it's hilarious that people get so hyped about things to the point where they no longer think clearly. I don't really care who buys the game on release day or not. But the reviews aren't mixed.

...just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

The content of the reviews aren't mixed, but the scores are. All the reviews are saying you need to invest 20+ hours before the game gets good. The scores reflect differently.

IMO, there's a significant difference between a game that is 9.0+ and ~8.5. My personal experiences parallel with IGN's way of reviewing things which is why I trust their review system to a larger extent than some of the other mags. Typically whenever i play a 8.5 game, I can feel the game is not quite there yet. however when I play a 9.0 game, it feels very solid. I'm just being general here.

My own personal gripes have nothing to do with the score but the fact that they left out the japanese dubs. I took a look at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoSXfYuQrk for VO comparisons and I'm still on the fence. Some of the English voice overs arent bad at all except for Vanille's. I do feel there is a lack of emotion conveyed with the English voice overs, but it might be because I'm used to Japanese dialogue.

You guys take scores way too seriously.

And the content of all these reviews are no where near the same. The main reason it's getting docked so hard is because it's linear -- which is a design choice, not a flaw.

This is largely because of the huge popularity of Bioware RPGs and free roam games in the west.

Other than that, the game is getting polar opposite opinions regarding it's story, gameplay, etc...

[quote name='vkyosho']The content of the reviews aren't mixed, but the scores are. All the reviews are saying you need to invest 20+ hours before the game gets good. The scores reflect differently.

IMO, there's a significant difference between a game that is 9.0+ and ~8.5. My personal experiences parallel with IGN's way of reviewing things which is why I trust their review system to a larger extent than some of the other mags. Typically whenever i play a 8.5 game, I can feel the game is not quite there yet. however when I play a 9.0 game, it feels very solid. I'm just being general here.

My own personal gripes have nothing to do with the score but the fact that they left out the japanese dubs. I took a look at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoSXfYuQrk for VO comparisons and I'm still on the fence. Some of the English voice overs arent bad at all except for Vanille's. I do feel there is a lack of emotion conveyed with the English voice overs, but it might be because I'm used to Japanese dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Pretty solid english dubbing I must say. I have a slight preference for Lightning's original VA but still like them both. I'd have a difficult deciding for the rest of the characters. I do agree that it'd be nice to have the Japanese track for most games but at least we get some above average VAing on this one.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You guys take scores way too seriously.

And the content of all these reviews are no where near the same. The main reason it's getting docked so hard is because it's linear -- which is a design choice, not a flaw.

This is largely because of the huge popularity of Bioware RPGs and free roam games in the west.

Other than that, the game is getting polar opposite opinions regarding it's story, gameplay, etc...[/QUOTE]

You can be linear and still be good, see how Magna Carta 2 handled it. But honestly from what I've seen of FFXIII the game is just to damn linear. They really are like long corridors. It just seems lazy rather than a design choice.

This game has me at odds, I really can't decide whether to pick this or resonance of fate up. In the end I'll have played them both but which to get at launch.

It's not so much believing everything you hear, but more on the line of whether the game is worth a $60 (or in many cases, $50) pre-order price tag. I have enjoyed many games with sub-par reviews but at the same time I have been thoroughly disappointed with overly hyped games or games baring an respectable and well recognized brand, in this case, Final Fantasy.
Reviews, if you actually read the content rather than just the score, give you a good indication whether or not the game will be worth the hefty price tag or if it would be better to just wait for a deal.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']You can be linear and still be good, see how Magna Carta 2 handled it. But honestly from what I've seen of FFXIII the game is just to damn linear. They really are like long corridors. It just seems lazy rather than a design choice.

This game has me at odds, I really can't decide whether to pick this or resonance of fate up. In the end I'll have played them both but which to get at launch.[/QUOTE]

If the first 30 hours of the game is nothing but plowing down a path and advancing the storyline, well that's longer than most free roam RPGs already.

So, can you imagine how much narrative and how many locales they packed into this? I'm extremely curious to say the least.

[quote name='opterasis']Yet absolute crap like EDF2017 and Onechanbara come out and everyone shits their pants and absolutely has to have it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if you compare the eventual sales of FF13 to either of those two titles you'll find that's not the case at all. Those two games may have vocal fans, but they're in small numbers. The amount of pant-shitting I see for new FF releases is only second to a few other titles.

XIII's linear corridors -> circular grindfest area is the oddest "design choice" I've ever seen in an RPG. So random :/

Anyways most games offer you the illusion of freedom, there's not much you can really do in a traditional JRPG anyways except advance the story. Very few games let you actually explore any part of the game. You either have to have the enemies level with your character/party or have it so lvl XX monsters come and one-shot your party.

Either way, people cry about it. RPGs have always been about guiding you along, so if you really can't get your head about the devs telling you where to go well... you should probably go for a walk in the park or something.

Feel like WW3: Final Fantasy Edition happened in this thread. It really comes down to this. How many times in the past when a game you like gets terrible reviews, but you ended up loving it anyways and wondered why it got knocked down so low? For this game its the same way. I'm going to actually....you know....play it before I spend 24/7 on CAG trying to either say its the worse game ever and you shouldn't buy it or it's the greatest game ever and you should buy it heh. Let's all try to keep and open mind to this game and actually self-review it before we pass judgement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Not Yet Shipped
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Final Fantasy XIII $59.99 1

Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $10 Video
Games promotional code. The promotion code will be applied directly to
your Amazon.com account up to two (2) business days after your product
ships.

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If
the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and
the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.
Just a confirmation email I got, since my FF13 guide shipped today.

[quote name='jubeininja69']i think its more of the xbots bashing the game because it sucks on their systems.[/QUOTE]

I think what you think is completely wrong, does that make me right?

[quote name='mkelehan']Man, I'd go for this, but I just don't know which version. If they're both completely equal, I'll go 360, but since SE was very clear that the PS3 was the lead platform, this could be one of those rare cases where the 360 version is a little worse, rather than the usual other way around. I'll need to wait for reviews to roll in.

Ha HA.... Freudian.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me?

edit: Thought I should make myself clear by saying that I have absolutely no idea when it is "rather than the usual other way around".

from that video, the english audio doesn't seem bad, kinda reminds me of a star wars movie how they get angry but never curse lol.

Its just now a days, majority of people have a japanese fetish and prefer it to be true to the homeland counterpart, but with english subtitles *hey i cant blame em, i watch my anime this way hahah* but thats because with anime, they usually have low budget re-dubs, but with a game as big as this, im sure they made sure its good.

[quote name='Anti Lifesaver']Excuse me?

edit: Thought I should make myself clear by saying that I have absolutely no idea when it is "rather than the usual other way around".[/QUOTE]

I remember Ghostbusters was supposed to be a bit worse on the PS3 than the 360. I can't say for sure as the 360 is the only version I played of it, I just remember reading that somewhere. And plus, it's just Ghosterbusters, not like a huge triple A game.

[quote name='mission42']I remember Ghostbusters was supposed to be a bit worse on the PS3 than the 360. I can't say for sure as the 360 is the only version I played of it, I just remember reading that somewhere. And plus, it's just Ghosterbusters, not like a huge triple A game.[/QUOTE]

The only time a game looks better on the 360 is because they developers are retarded.

Srsly.

Anyways I did do the per-order for this game from Amazon. I was to late on getting the LE Manual for 20 bucks though =/

hey just to clarify, the RDD is free right? i know i placed my order a while back,.. just making sure. And i wont have to be home right? I have class so i dont want to miss it if there is a delivery signature required etc.

[quote name='hypertek']hey just to clarify, the RDD is free right? i know i placed my order a while back,.. just making sure. And i wont have to be home right? I have class so i dont want to miss it if there is a delivery signature required etc.[/QUOTE]
Dont' believe so. It's around 5 bucks for RDD. I am picking this up at Target right after I get out of work Tuesday.

[quote name='hypertek']hey just to clarify, the RDD is free right? i know i placed my order a while back,.. just making sure. And i wont have to be home right? I have class so i dont want to miss it if there is a delivery signature required etc.[/QUOTE]
If you had a prime membership when you ordered it would have been free. And yes they'll leave it at the door no signature needed.

bread's done
Back