Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) $36.99 @ Amazon DotD

I'd already consider that lame even without reading that Sony and square are facing a lawsuit over ffxiii bricking some ps3s. Crappy price in general and much more considering a lawsuit is about to hit sales.

[quote name='RunRiot']I'd already consider that lame even without reading that Sony and square are facing a lawsuit over ffxiii bricking some ps3s. Crappy price in general and much more considering a lawsuit is about to hit sales.[/QUOTE]

lolwut? care to explain? FFXII runs perfectly on my phat PS3

It runs fine of my system, those people are just out for money. Besides, it's still the better version of the game.

I have not heard of any systems being bricked out in the wild aside from that reference. What makes this version better?

[quote name='therpson']I have not heard of any systems being bricked out in the wild aside from that reference. What makes this version better?[/QUOTE]
Slightly better graphics because the game wasn't compressed on the ps3.

[quote name='therpson']I have not heard of any systems being bricked out in the wild aside from that reference. What makes this version better?[/QUOTE]

Slightly better looking real-time graphics, significantly better looking cutscene videos, and no disc swapping. If you've got a PS3 there's no reason to play it on 360, unless you really care about your gamer score or something.

[quote name='V878']Has an international edition of a FF game ever come to the US?[/QUOTE]

A PS3 International FF game will likely be region free.

jjmai:
I am still gonna wait for the inevitable "International" money-milking version.
Btw, the Asian version has Japanese voice and English text http://kotaku.com/5558841/play-final...ature-intended

Thats potentially inaccurate. That refers to the Chinese version specifically. There is an Asian version that does NOT have English subtitles.

I wish they had this offer earlier :/ Bought too many games already from Amazon in the past month so I'll pass, maybe next time it will be closer to $30...

argh! Stupid Amazon! I was hoping for it to be $30!! Oh well. I guess I'll wait some more =(

also the Chinese version is tempting....hmmm...

[quote name='hpv']Slightly better looking real-time graphics, significantly better looking cutscene videos, and no disc swapping. If you've got a PS3 there's no reason to play it on 360, unless you really care about your gamer score or something.[/QUOTE]
Also, the audio quality is better on the PS3 version. It uses uncompressed audio; 360 has compressed. But that point is moot if you're using your TV's speakers.
[quote name='ChineseRcool']Hmmm I smell some xbox fan boys here....[/QUOTE]
what? from who? no one here is being a fanboy.

[quote name='ChineseRcool']Hmmm I smell some xbox fan boys here....[/QUOTE]

As Eddie said, nobody here is acting like a fanboy. Shame on you for the useless post.

Does anyone have the Chinese version with English text? That sounds interesting.

[quote name='eastx']As Eddie said, nobody here is acting like a fanboy. Shame on you for the useless post.

Does anyone have the Chinese version with English text? That sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Got it from Play-Asia.

I also have the original Japanese and USA versions and none of the three have bricked my old fat PS3. :roll:

Okay. Do you have any impressions? Is there any downside at all to the Chinese version for English speakers? How do you like the voices and any other differences?

I've never even owned a ms system. I was only suggesting that if the scandal gets press It may impact prices. That and I think I've finally gotten it through my head that I should just ignore amazon's sales. I always feel ripped off wasting time checking their deals. Their prices have been consistently yawn worthy and their super saver shipping is slower than gamestops in my experience.

[quote name='jjmai']I am still gonna wait for the inevitable "International" money-milking version.
Btw, the Asian version has Japanese voice and English text http://kotaku.com/5558841/play-final-fantasy-xiii-as-nature-intended[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the exact same thing as you... so far FFX, X-2, and XII had international versions... I'm not ruling out the possibility of DLC international content... but part of me believes there might not be an international version for this, but then again: Star Ocean 4 PS3

the Eng voices are alright would be nice if i could obtain a international one for this price only thing missing from this deal is the $10 game credit.. free credit makes everything better

[quote name='eastx']Okay. Do you have any impressions? Is there any downside at all to the Chinese version for English speakers? How do you like the voices and any other differences?[/QUOTE]

There's no down side. Supposedly it can even import your old save files, though I haven't tried yet. It gets the language and button settings from the XMB (just like the other versions of the game) so you don't even have to mess with that.

The voices... eh, I could take either one. This game is one where I don't think one track is better than the other. Just get what you like to hear.

The Chinese version sounds tempting... however I have no patience waiting for that version to go on sale. I know that American PS3 games take over 1 & 1/2 years to drop 50%. $37 is good for me, and I had no problems playing FF13 when I rented it.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']argh! Stupid Amazon! I was hoping for it to be $30!! Oh well. I guess I'll wait some more =(

also the Chinese version is tempting....hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Haha. Same boat here. :lol:

Been waiting for a price drop like Kmart for a while but when I heard of the Asia version with JP voice w/ Eng subs I decided I'll get that one instead. Price be damned. I just love Maaya Sakamoto.

Pick this up if you like pressing A and watching cutscenes ... Personally I found this to be one of the worst Final Fantasy games in the series. You literally run down corridors and fight enemies ... and then watch cutscenes. There really isn't anything else until the game opens up at the very end and even then it's just a bigger area to run in.

Didn't feel anything like the classic FF games, and the story is rather convoluted and hard to follow. Just posting my 2 cents for anyone who thinks this price makes it a must buy. I think the price speaks for itself, there's a reason this is one of the fastest dropping FF's in both the US & Japan. This is coming from a person who bought the PS3 version, collector's guide and a 360 faceplate at launch. The game LOOKS amazing ... the gameplay is just boring as hell and doesn't feel like a real RPG.

Another reason for the quick price drop is the sheer amount of competition out there. With the current-gen games selling faster than ever, GS stepped up big time this year and has been putting massive pressure on other sellers like Amazon. Even Kmart had its $30 deal up its sleeve.

etcrane, that this item's price dropped isn't in any way an indication of its quality. If anything, FFxiii is one of, if not THE fastest selling FF game to date (being released on two platforms certainly helps)

Other blockbuster games like God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, and Uncharted 2 have had similar drops, but I don't think it was because these games were bad.

[quote name='etcrane']Pick this up if you like pressing A and watching cutscenes ... Personally I found this to be one of the worst Final Fantasy games in the series. You literally run down corridors and fight enemies ... and then watch cutscenes. There really isn't anything else until the game opens up at the very end and even then it's just a bigger area to run in.

Didn't feel anything like the classic FF games, and the story is rather convoluted and hard to follow. Just posting my 2 cents for anyone who thinks this price makes it a must buy. I think the price speaks for itself, there's a reason this is one of the fastest dropping FF's in both the US & Japan. This is coming from a person who bought the PS3 version, collector's guide and a 360 faceplate at launch. The game LOOKS amazing ... the gameplay is just boring as hell and doesn't feel like a real RPG.[/QUOTE]

Ok if you're honestly concerned about people's money here, you could at least try to sound a bit more fair. I can make any game sound terrible using that kind of language.

"Uh yeah guys, Gears of War wasn't all that great so I'd hold back. You literally just run behind slabs of concrete and squeeze the R trigger throughout the entire game."

I would agree with you that it's hard to recommend FFXIII to a lot of people. But it makes me sad thinking people might actually take your word for what's actually a really well made game.

I thought Etcrane explained his viewpoint quite well. Sure, lots of people think it's a great game. But a fair amount of people don't think so.

[quote name='dannyox718']Another reason for the quick price drop is the sheer amount of competition out there. With the current-gen games selling faster than ever, GS stepped up big time this year and has been putting massive pressure on other sellers like Amazon. Even Kmart had its $30 deal up its sleeve.

etcrane, that this item's price dropped isn't in any way an indication of its quality. If anything, FFxiii is one of, if not THE fastest selling FF game to date (being released on two platforms certainly helps)

Other blockbuster games like God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, and Uncharted 2 have had similar drops, but I don't think it was because these games were bad.[/QUOTE]

Alright, lets clear a few things up, Final Fantasy 13 saw one of the fastest drops in trade in value ever in Japan approximately a week after it was released. Even the highest quality game that is sold in high volume will see a small drop in value just because of the number of copies out there. However, the value of FF13 absolutely tanked.

You used the example of Uncharted 2 in comparison ... which has been out since October ... and is still holding an equal value to what Final Fantasy is selling for now. It didn't drop nearly as fast and there were no 'fire sales' after a few months on Uncharted 2.

Beyond all of that, I never said price drops are always an indication of quality, however in this case that is what I'm saying because this is not a quality game.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Ok if you're honestly concerned about people's money here, you could at least try to sound a bit more fair. I can make any game sound terrible using that kind of language.

"Uh yeah guys, Gears of War wasn't all that great so I'd hold back. You literally just run behind slabs of concrete and squeeze the R trigger throughout the entire game."

I would agree with you that it's hard to recommend FFXIII to a lot of people. But it makes me sad thinking people might actually take your word for what's actually a really well made game.[/QUOTE]

Why do I need to sound fair, outside of the graphics and possibly the soundtrack, this game is absolutely terrible. It's not a well made game because it's simply not fun to play ... it's boring as hell. Sure that's a subjective opinion, but I never claimed to be a fair and objective poster ... I post my opinion.

In this case, Square rushed this game to market after they realized, and admitted, that actually taking the time to put together a full, next gen Final Fantasy game with actual cities, RPG leveling, items and weapons, etc ... for Square-Enix would simply take too long and be too expensive (which I think is BS since other developers have been able to do just that, even if the CGI didn't look quite as hot). Since Final Fantasy was already taking forever to come out since it's premature announcement, they decided to cut most of the things that a majority of gamers look for in their RPGs and simply release what they felt was 'enough' of the game to make it a Final Fantasy.

If you want a good looking, yet rather drawn out and poorly acted interactive movie with almost no interaction outside of battles, then by all means, buy this game. But if you're coming from a place where you're a fan of PS era FF games or even NES and SNES era FF games, you will almost certainly be disappointed with Final Fantasy 13.

Heck I thought the iPhone game Chaos Rings was actually more fun and fulfilling than playing FF13 ... and that's sad because it lacks the power of the PS3 and yet it still held my attention for a far longer period of time.

Oh and for the record ... Gears of War is boring as hell because it's just running for cover and shooting poorly designed enemies over and over again until you get to a boss on a train and the game ends ... Gears of War 2 wasn't much better ... it was also boring as hell because it stuck to the same formula.

Games like Final Fantasy 13 and Gears look amazing ... there is no doubt ... but gameplay-wise, for me, they are all glitz and no substance ... they don't offer a compelling plot ... they don't offer new and innovative ways to experience a game or bring something new and never before seen to the table. They are, to put it simply, the videogame equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

Give me a Heavy Rain or an Alan Wake any day over those two games ... hell, even give me a Red Dead Redemption, because even if it's wholly derivative of GTA, at least the gameplay stands up to the fun test and makes me feel it's worth my entertainment dollar.

And if you want a game that satisfies your yearning for hot graphics and fun gameplay, then go grab Uncharted 2 and get some sweet graphics along with a decent narrative and fun multiplayer.

Final Fantasy 13 offers very little of what one used to think was a "Final Fantasy game" and it has absolutely no replay value unless you enjoy grinding. There is no exploration, there are no real items to discover, nothing about your character evolves or changes from the perspective that the weapon system and lack of any sort of clothing, etc is a joke. It's simply not a well made game ... it is a great example of style over substance in video games and, like I said, in my experience, I 100% ended up regretting spending any money on it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Ok if you're honestly concerned about people's money here, you could at least try to sound a bit more fair. I can make any game sound terrible using that kind of language.

I would agree with you that it's hard to recommend FFXIII to a lot of people. But it makes me sad thinking people might actually take your word for what's actually a really well made game.[/QUOTE]

FFXIII is a solid game and is definitely one of the best looking games currently available. But you can't deny the fact that the story/progression is overly linear and the gameplay/combat is simplistic. Ectrane has a valid point here, especially when this game is compared to its predecessors. My wife went through FFXIII, and I quote, "mashing X the entire time." She never upgraded her weapons or anything, just went through tunnels after tunnels hitting the X button.

The game does have very high production values, though; it's exceedingly beautiful and highly polished. I personally did not care much for the story but I did really like a few of the characters.

And regarding the lawsuit, this kind of stupidity happens all the time. People don't realize that their "phat" PS3 may have broke due to age or even mistreatment (there are still a large number of morons who place their consoles on carpet or in an air-tight shelf space) . And of course when the system breaks, they're likely all playing the most popular game at the time, Final Fantasy XIII. So when they go online and search on Google, ALL of them congregate together on a few forums...and when you have a couple hundred people with a broken PS3 while playing FF13, everyone starts pointing to the possibility of the game/system combination as the issue.

When a few phat PS3 lenses started burning out, the popular game at the time was Modern Warfare. There were numerous forums where people were whining and bitching about how Modern Warfare "killed their PS3" and that it happened to "hundreds of other people." These individuals never realized that hey, maybe their lenses just burned out on its own and that it happened to everyone while playing MW because it was popular. :roll:

[quote name='etcrane']
however in this case that is what I'm saying because this is not a quality game.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm cool with your opinions about the game, as well as those of others that love this game to death. But I still don't agree with the above statement. You can make all the comments you want about hating a game, but please don't project your opinions and make statements that may or may not be true as if it is in fact truth. I just want to point out some other possible reasons for the price drop, is all.

[quote name='dannyox718']Hey, I'm cool with your opinions about the game, as well as those of others that love this game to death. But I still don't agree with the above statement. You can make all the comments you want about hating a game, but please don't project your opinions and make statements that may or may not be true as if it is in fact truth. I just want to point out some other possible reasons for the price drop, is all.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but he didn't say his opinion is fact.

Gotta disagree with Etcrane about the Gears of War series, though. The core gameplay is quite fun to me, regardless of how much variety it has. And multiplayer extends it quite a lot too.

[quote name='dannyox718']Hey, I'm cool with your opinions about the game, as well as those of others that love this game to death. But I still don't agree with the above statement. You can make all the comments you want about hating a game, but please don't project your opinions and make statements that may or may not be true as if it is in fact truth. I just want to point out some other possible reasons for the price drop, is all.[/QUOTE]

I actually fully agree with your initial response to my post, don't get me wrong, plenty of popular games go on sale and it doesn't reflect a lack of quality. My point about the price had more to do with the fact that many people, in both Japan and the US, traded this game in quickly after its release.

How many people were so quick to trade in Final Fantasy 7 or more modern games that have been critically praised (since that would be a better comparison). A ton of people bought this game because they bought in to the hype, heck I bought it for the same reason, as a fan of FF on the PS1. We all thought it was going to be incredible, it looked incredible ... but I felt it really fell flat after playing it. I'm guessing a lot of other people did too since the game was traded in so quickly. I've always felt that games people love don't get traded in with such a mass volume suddenly appearing.

But back to your point, I agree, and again my point was saying look at the fact that there were so many trade ins and the fact that the price has been lowered, and then I simply stated the reason why in my personal opinion. Not trying to come off as a purveyor of truth, simply sharing my personal experience regarding the game and reasons I think the price might be lower.

[quote name='eastx']Okay, but he didn't say his opinion is fact.

Gotta disagree with Etcrane about the Gears of War series, though. The core gameplay is quite fun to me, regardless of how much variety it has. And multiplayer extends it quite a lot too.[/QUOTE]

Totally understandable, we all have our preferences and likings and I know Gears has a huge following. I actually enjoyed Gears 1 the first time I played it, it just didn't stand up for me over time. And I'll be honest, I actually prefer the MP and gameplay in Halo to Gears ... so there's some ammunition for anyone wanting to critique my game preferences ;). Gears 1 was solid for what it was, I just didn't really like it on a personal level, but I respect your opinion.

[quote name='etcrane']This is coming from a person who bought the PS3 version, collector's guide and a 360 faceplate at launch. [/QUOTE]

Doh! I did the same thing, and unfortunately I have the same feelings about the game. I know it's supposed to get better towards the middle/end, but I'm not sure I'll ever get that far, and I've finished every one except FF2. On the plus side, I applied the $10 GC to Dragon Age Awakening, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

[quote name='monkeydoodle']FFXIII is a solid game and is definitely one of the best looking games currently available. But you can't deny the fact that the story/progression is overly linear and the gameplay/combat is simplistic. Ectrane has a valid point here, especially when this game is compared to its predecessors. My wife went through FFXIII, and I quote, "mashing X the entire time." She never upgraded her weapons or anything, just went through tunnels after tunnels hitting the X button.

The game does have very high production values, though; it's exceedingly beautiful and highly polished. I personally did not care much for the story but I did really like a few of the characters.

And regarding the lawsuit, this kind of stupidity happens all the time. People don't realize that their "phat" PS3 may have broke due to age or even mistreatment (there are still a large number of morons who place their consoles on carpet or in an air-tight shelf space) . And of course when the system breaks, they're likely all playing the most popular game at the time, Final Fantasy XIII. So when they go online and search on Google, ALL of them congregate together on a few forums...and when you have a couple hundred people with a broken PS3 while playing FF13, everyone starts pointing to the possibility of the game/system combination as the issue.

When a few phat PS3 lenses started burning out, the popular game at the time was Modern Warfare. There were numerous forums where people were whining and bitching about how Modern Warfare "killed their PS3" and that it happened to "hundreds of other people." These individuals never realized that hey, maybe their lenses just burned out on its own and that it happened to everyone while playing MW because it was popular. :roll:[/QUOTE]

No one wrote a book on how linear/free roam an RPG has to be.

You know what other RPG is great? Fallout 3. You know why I hate it? Because it's too free roam for me. I'm overwhelmed, it's simply not fun. That doesn't mean the level of choice in the game was too great or poorly done, it simply means that it's too much for certain gamers.

And it certainly doesn't mean I'm going spread the word that Fallout 3 has a horrible design to it and it's just using the VAT system for shooting things in the face. Because FFXIII certainly isn't "lol mash X all day and win." If were going to sit here and judge games based on what buttons you press throughout, then Diablo II is the worst game in history.

If you like deep customization and exploration FFXIII is indeed awful. And that's like saying if you like compelling and fast paced main plots then a game like Dragon Age is also terrible.

Some other things about the Chinese version...

I tested it and it loads saves from either the Japanese or US version. Not sure about Asian or European versions, but I assume it works too.

It also supports Korean, though it doesn't say that on the box.

You can't move while the smoke menu is open (like the US version) so I imagine the other minor tweaks are there too, like not being able to surprise a certain enemy.

Anyway, whatever version you get, just get it, it's an awesome game. Ignore the haters.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']argh! Stupid Amazon! I was hoping for it to be $30!! Oh well. I guess I'll wait some more =(

.[/QUOTE]

That's me. I would not pay a dime over $30. I will wait. Might be one to play this Fall during the slump just before the November holiday games come out.

After thinking about it... i decided to cancel my order. FF13 is just too linear, and fighting the monsters is frustrating. It's like flipping a coin, 50% winning, 50% losing. The CGI cutscenes are great, but the ingame grahphics are abit dissapointing. If you look at the characters' hands and fingers, they are blocky. FF13 "opens up" too late in the game... in addition it's just a big map with lots of monsters.

Even though my PS3 (the MGS4 bundle ver.) didn't fry, I'll save my money when Star Ocean: TLHI and Resonance of Fate goes on sale.

For those who haven't played it, I HIGHLY suggest that you RENT it before carefully buying it.

Ugghhh, I recommend not getting this or waiting till its $20 or less, unless you are a true fanboy. I put over 50 hours into this game hoping that just a few more hours and it'll get better, that never happened. I will never get those 53 hours of my life back :(

[quote name='Dragon138']Ugghhh, I recommend not getting this or waiting till its $20 or less, unless you are a true fanboy. I put over 50 hours into this game hoping that just a few more hours and it'll get better, that never happened. I will never get those 53 hours of my life back :([/QUOTE]

For the love of fuck, can't we just ever comment on a deal. The "isn't worth the price" has been in every FF thread and already plastered on the first page of this one, so don't tell me it's to inform. Only a fanboy should get this? I believe differently, if you were EVER so much of a fan of FF that you prop up one of the releases as the best game of all time, AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE, because nearly every ff "fan's" comments I read is just bitching. When people admit they bought it for pure hype or because of the name, sorry but my pity turns to laughter.

Decent price on the game, however expect it to continually drop with all the "pretty good" reviews and probably massive trade-ins this is getting.

bread's done
Back