GameStop:
PS3
PC
PC Collector's Edition

(Source: www.ffxivcore.com)

Windows:
Final Fantasy XIV Collectors’ Edition
Release Date: September 22nd, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Onion Helm (Quickens recovery following KO.)
This special edition also includes:
-EARLY ACCESS - Play eight days prior to the release of the Standard Edition
-BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD - Get an insider look at the making of FINAL FANTASY XIV.
-SECURITY TOKEN - A FINAL FANTASY XIV branded Security Token used with your regular password.
-TRAVEl JOURNAL - Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal with never-before-seen concept art.
-RIGHT OF PASSAGE - Redeem a voucher to receive your fully personalized right of passage certificate.
-BUDDY PASS - Invite a friend to play free for a limited time.

Final Fantasy XIV (regular edition)
Release Date: September 30th, 2010

Special In-Game Item: Garlond Goggles (Increases the speed of skill progression.)

Monthly Fee: $12.99 / 30 days
(first character free for 30 days upon activation)

FFXIII Secret Code Item (the promo code from FF13)
Asura Armguards: Increased Weapon and Tool affinity.

*PS3 version is scheduled for release sometime during the beginning of March, 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
No CE for the PS3? Laaaaaame.

Hmmmmm... Should I get the PC version then? There are rumors of a 360 version. I hope they improve this over XI. Cuz that was shit.

Thanks OP. I will keep this in mind. :D

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']No CE for the PS3? Laaaaaame.

Hmmmmm... Should I get the PC version then? There are rumors of a 360 version. I hope they improve this over XI. Cuz that was shit.

Thanks OP. I will keep this in mind. :D[/QUOTE]

Biggest thing I'm interested in is the artbook/journal with the CE. Is it worth the extra $25? Probably not but I'll still most likely get it.

Thanks OP

The box is pretty

500x_ffxiv_01.jpg

They'll PROBABLY sell them seperately later, but the security token is totally worth it in the collector's edition (there's a good reason WoW, paypal, banks, and other places use them).

[quote name='callmewoof']They'll PROBABLY sell them seperately later, but the security token is totally worth it in the collector's edition (there's a good reason WoW, paypal, banks, and other places use them).[/QUOTE]
I only got the WoW one for the little pet. :lol:

[quote name='Unaki']I only got the WoW one for the little pet. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, short of somebody walking into your house and stealing your security token, your account becomes nigh unhackable.

[quote name='callmewoof']Well, short of somebody walking into your house and stealing your security token, your account becomes nigh unhackable.[/QUOTE]
Ive never had an account stolen by any means. It isnt really a "Im better than you" statement but I have always been careful about what I do and I use strong passwords.

[quote name='62t']Looks like Xbox 360 version is not happening

http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/xbox-live-restrictions-prevent-final-fantasy-xiv-from-coming-to-xbox-360[/QUOTE]

Damn. Well PC version is fine I guess.

That joystiq article I posted up there was put up a few days after that article you linked though. So I guess I can just hope? ;)

That sucks that it is due to the XBL restrictions though. I am sure they might be able to work around that or come to an agreement though. It is the Final Fantasy name even if it is an MMO.

[quote name='Masterkyo']It'll be cheap after 6 months or a year. No way i paying $12 per month plus $60 :)[/QUOTE]
Butbutbutbut! It will pay for itself after you pour 5000 hours into it:lol:

[quote name='Masterkyo']It'll be cheap after 6 months or a year. No way i paying $12 per month plus $60 :)[/QUOTE]

Meh, it depends. Is this another Aion / Champions / Star Trek? Or a 'good enough to compete against wow and not totally be a suck rush job and not utterly fail in the first few months'? Only time will tell. But cmon, just because some of us were suckered into buying the collector's edition of ffxii (me), doesn't mean this won't be worth it! Right? Right! ..?

I wonder which is best. the oinon helm with the CE or the garland goggles. I assume the CE would come with both. In a game like FFXIV Im sure the in game items would actually make it worth the extra cash for the CE.

[quote name='callmewoof']Meh, it depends. Is this another Aion / Champions / Star Trek? Or a 'good enough to compete against wow and not totally be a suck rush job and not utterly fail in the first few months'? Only time will tell. But cmon, just because some of us were suckered into buying the collector's edition of ffxii (me), doesn't mean this won't be worth it! Right? Right! ..?[/QUOTE]
You mean 11? My total playtime equaled 5 years. Square isn't rushing this game by any means. They started production on it after Wings of the Goddess was released and they aren't NCSOFT or Cryptic.

Omg I got so excited until I realized the PS3 release date isn't till 2011. Only platform I can't play games on is PC and it happens to come out wayyyyyyy earlier on that PLUS have a CE =( That makes me a sad panda.

[quote name='Unaki']You mean 11? My total playtime equaled 5 years. Square isn't rushing this game by any means. They started production on it after Wings of the Goddess was released and they aren't NCSOFT or Cryptic.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant that steelbook FFXII, though I don't understand what that has to do with FFXIV or FFXI. Do you really have 1500 days of playtime? I only got to around 100 before I quit for the final and last time. Probably would be around 300-500 if I still played.

[quote name='Unaki']You mean 11? My total playtime equaled 5 years. Square isn't rushing this game by any means. They started production on it after Wings of the Goddess was released and they aren't NCSOFT or Cryptic.[/QUOTE]

Oh, no no I liked 11. I meant to say that recent MMOs were uber-hyped to be the world's most amazing super happy ultra game only to suffer massive failure within like 2 weeks, like aion/champions/startrek (at least, fail in relation to the amount of hype and people who instantly quit the games and mass servers merging down into nothingness). Hopefully 14 won't be like that.

And as far as the other collector's part, I meant to say it's always hit or miss to see if it's worth it. FF 12 collector's was super hyped, and you can get a new sealed metal case collector's edition for like, 20$ now. I know thats a console game instead of mmo, but still the point is sometimes collector's are a total waste and sometimes they're, well, collectables and very worth it. With MMOs the only way to know if it's worth the money or not is if the game succeeds, which is anyone's prediction at this point.

As someone who got deep enough into the HNM nonsense back in FFXI, I'm definitely going to take a sit and wait approach to this before I consider any level of commitment into another MMO. Death penalties (implied through the bonus item) are already kind of turning me off though...

My computer would have trouble running the terms of service menu of this game. Need to get me a PS3 eventually.

[quote name='Psybuster']As someone who got deep enough into the HNM nonsense back in FFXI, I'm definitely going to take a sit and wait approach to this before I consider any level of commitment into another MMO. Death penalties (implied through the bonus item) are already kind of turning me off though...[/QUOTE]

I don't think theres any official word on this yet, but death penalty COULD mean "lose x% on dying, but not level down". That was one of the biggest gripes I ever had about ff11, leveling down (getting "buffer exp after leveling and all that crap"). HOPEFULLY it's not like that anymore. That'd be enough for me to cancel my preorder. :(

FFXI was HORRIBLE... for some reason I played 3 years... What a horrible horrible endgame environment. I hope to God they learned from some of their mistakes... somehow, I really doubt it - given they had years to fix some of the simple things wrong with 11 and didn't do anything about them. I've played a lot of MMOs and I never saw one with so many gold/gilsellers/RMT - so much in fact that it absolutely completely destroyed the economy, and on a lot of servers it eventually started to ruin the already weak endgame.

Mmorpgs the last few years have been notorious for launching with content that only lasts about 60 days tops. I can't imagine paying $75 to be one of the early percentage to find this out. Would be nice to be wrong but so many folks wanted this one to be casual lite ala WoW and that comes with price unless your only going to play 10-15 hours a week which most mmo addicts can't do.

FFXI launched with content that was well over 60 days (yes even their JP launch). I doubt that should be your top concern here. Also WoW has the OPTION of being casual, especially nowadays, but to be a true cutting-edge player and take part in leading edge content you have to be far more than casual. Nothing wrong with being casual FRIENDLY - casual only is the real issue.

lol no no, WoW is full blown casual since WOTLK came out, and especially after the patches that followed it --the game plays itself.

it's still a great MMO, it's just for a different crowd now.

I love FF, but i'm going to wait and see. More than likely i will get the PS3 version since my laptop won't be able to handle it.:cry:

[quote name='callmewoof']Well, short of somebody walking into your house and stealing your security token, your account becomes nigh unhackable.[/QUOTE]
Oh, the RMT people still figured out a way to hack some FFXI accounts. They'd buy infected ads, use exploits to install spyware on user's machines, get your security code when you tried to log in, and did a smash and grab before you could restart your computer.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Oh, the RMT people still figured out a way to hack some FFXI accounts. They'd buy infected ads, use exploits to install spyware on user's machines, get your security code when you tried to log in, and did a smash and grab before you could restart your computer.[/QUOTE]
The tokens created a special code that was only available for 30 seconds, which was the base amount of time it took to log in and select a character.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Oh, the RMT people still figured out a way to hack some FFXI accounts. They'd buy infected ads, use exploits to install spyware on user's machines, get your security code when you tried to log in, and did a smash and grab before you could restart your computer.[/QUOTE]

FFXI had security tokens? I suppose IF they intercepted you entering the token code, which I believe is time sensitive (expires after XX seconds and you need a fresh one), and managed to login to your account within a few seconds, then sure they could. Highly unlikely though. But then again if you're visiting weird pages like "freeaccounthacks" and "buygoldznow" then you kinda deserve it. ;)

Thanks OP, this made my day. I preordered the collector's edition on Amazon. I just quit FFXI in May and I kind of miss it (miss the great people mostly), so I'm glad I won't have to wait too long to try the new game.

Really sucks the PS3 version is coming out 6 months later. I mean yeah my PC can run almost anything maxed, but I'm just sick of playing PC games to be honest. :cry:

[quote name='MSTRKRFT']I wonder which is best. the oinon helm with the CE or the garland goggles. I assume the CE would come with both. In a game like FFXIV Im sure the in game items would actually make it worth the extra cash for the CE.[/QUOTE]

On the official web site, it says pre-order bonus for CE, not an actual bonus in the CE. But nothing is certain...

[quote name='SativaSam']Really sucks the PS3 version is coming out 6 months later. I mean yeah my PC can run almost anything maxed, but I'm just sick of playing PC games to be honest. :cry:[/QUOTE]

That's how I felt until I got my 2nd monitor. Now I'm totally addicted and I've stopped playing my games (ps3/360/ps2/wii) on my 50" plasma and I've got them hooked up to my 2nd computer monitor instead. That way when I'm not using them both, I have the internet/wow/whatever on one screen, and a game or video on the other. My sloth has grown to a whole new level of undeath. Best of both worlds!

Edit: my wife hates my 2nd monitor :p

i played FFXI for over 3 years. loved my time with it especially just the main storylines. Chains of Promathia is one of my favorite video game experiences i've ever had and the sense of accomplishment is unmatched when i finallly finished it. I'm hoping they have similar nation/story paths you can do. Because the real fun to me wasn't the end game it was doing the missions.

[quote name='Bos1014']i played FFXI for over 3 years. loved my time with it especially just the main storylines. Chains of Promathia is one of my favorite video game experiences i've ever had and the sense of accomplishment is unmatched when i finallly finished it. I'm hoping they have similar nation/story paths you can do. Because the real fun to me wasn't the end game it was doing the missions.[/QUOTE]

CoP was such a pain in the ass, but pretty rewarding and solid. I was one of the few people who did it before they nerfed half of it - and it was rewarding, but not fun. The people I played with made the game fun, the game itself wasn't that enjoyable save for a few experiences like my first time in Sea, completing CoP, leading the first group of NAs into Icelands Dynamis, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the CE pre-order. Still not sure I'll get the game (I loved FFXI but the forced grouping was lame), but I'd rather lock in the CE now in case I decide to get it later and find out it's sold out.

bread's done
Back