Final verdict. What hockey games are you playing and what do you like? 07 or 2k7?

Maynard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Well we have a NHL 07 demo discussion and a 2K7 discussion, but what should we be playing. What are you guys playing? What do you like, what do you hate?

I'm completely torn between which game I want to open. I bought both and i'm looking at both but can't freaking decide. I watched the IGN video review and 07 looks gorgeous, but I dont like the way the game flows and it looks more like pass pass and shoot. I always enjoyed the 2K games because it seemed like i was playing on the ice and setting up the plays. You know what the god damn problem is, fucking EA and releasing a shootout demo, like anyone gives a shit about the shootout. Icon passing is always sexy too, infact i've sort have come to depend on it. 07 is gorgeous, innovative, has amazing commentators (sounds gay but seriously gary thorne and bill clement are f'ing awesome). Online mode for 2K is the shit and 07 has nothing, AUGH i hate this.

Even though 2K7 scored a tad higher than 07 in most outlets, I'm still not buying it. I can't get over the symphony-esque music and the "same old" tricks still working. The core game hasn't changed in years. My money goes to EA this year. I'm just waiting to take a trip to Rhino for it.

not really into hockey games, but i got 2k6 on the cheap and its a fun game. i wouldnt shell out full retail price for 2k7, but i'll probably wait for it to drop under $20

07 feels rushed. 05 and 06 are way better. The animation is clunkly. A lot of people thought Madden 06's transition was bad (not me), well this is worse. I'll still take it over 2K7 anyday though.

Are people dumb...seriously. Ea released the shootout to show off the new stick controls. Thats a good thing. THey tried something new and it worked. 2k7 looks like 2k5 which i loved but was an extremely cheap game(s curve goals i am talking to you)

07. With the turbo gone and the new controls it just feels more like hockey. 07 has the feel of a new game while 2k7 feels like little more than a roster update.

A recent review put it pretty well. 07 is the first game where taking a well aimed shot from the slot has a good chance of scoring, just like real hockey. In other games, like 2k7, the puck goes to the goalie like a magnet, and you'd wait for another player to get into the play so you could pass.

Unless you've got Xbox or PS2, I can't see why anyone would prefer 2k7. The new control stick is the best new innovation in a hockey game since they introduced one timers in 94. Plus the movie look and feel (and sound) in 2k7 sucks. I don't want to play a game that makes me think I'm playing a movie about a hockey game. I want a real hockey game! Plus those rediculous wraparounds from 2k6 and 2k5 are still there.

As for reviews, 07 has scored consistently higher on 360. I'm someone who hates, hates, hates EA, but I love this game. 2k7 sucked this year, but the competition made EA put a lot of effort into their game, unlike other sports. 2k8 will probably end up being better than 08, because 2k will try hard as hell to make their game better, while EA would probably be happy for an incremental upgrade.

Went with 07 myself. It's nice feeling like I'm in control of the action instead of just "press X > goalie may or may not save" routine of past titles. It worked before when I didn't know any better, but now it feels old, 'cause it is old.

Christ I'm still lost on what to get. I can't get both at the moment and I probably won't get either before Christmas. I guess I'll be waiting for the deals and more reviews.

EA has the flashy play and graphics while 2k seems to have more depth from what I read.

The ultimate decider: Does 07 have online leagues and deep online play and rankings?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
EA has the flashy play and graphics while 2k seems to have more depth from what I read.
[/quote]
It might almost be the other way around. 2K7 has the fancy camera angles and the "flash" but I think EA is deeper in terms of control and the overall feel of hockey. EA just feels more like being at the game than does 2K7.

Well my issue is the 2K7 has the online leagues and HUGE wealth of online options and probably the deepest dynasty mode ever. NHL 07 has nothing online except play a game.

Keep in mind guys that 2K7 isn't a bad hockey game. I keep on playing the demo its actually very very good, its just not anything shocking and new. Also keep in mind that 2K7 didn't really have anything to "fix" persay. It was already a great hockey game, it just happens that EA has really gotten there head straight. When i watch the video reviews of IGN you can definately tell the difference between 2K7 and 07. The skating looks like real hockey on 2K7 and looks fluid on 2K7, but 07 is awesome because the great puck physics (although 2k7 has those too) and the awesome right stick idea.

All in all i made this thread to help us out and hopefully get a biased vote going and so far i'm just more confused. lol

I'm undecided as to which one I should buy, as well. It really frustrates me that these games keep getting churned out year after year, with little or nothing new to offer. I wish we could just buy one (the best game on the market) for $70 or $80, and be granted with seasonal roster updates much like the real NHL. I'd be willing to pay some MS points for roster updates, as long as I didn't have to buy a new installment every year.

This is why I don't get into the Madden games...

Very nice post Maynard about the differences of each game. Everyone is in love with the new controls and graphics of 07 but is there any depth to 07's franchise mode?

I bought 2K7 yesterday and it very good game all the way around in my opinion. It looks, plays and sounds great. As Maynard posted, the game was solid to begin with, they didn't have to create a new game. They just needed to keep tweaking it based on user feedback. I've been playing on all star difficulty so far and am finding it very challenging. I've lost every game so far with the Panthers. The cpu ai is very agressive this year trying to score and going after the puck when I have it. I played three games and haven't see a wraparound goal scored yet.

I want to play and possibly purchase NHL 07 but I'm worried about the depth of the game in the long run after the love affair with the controls and graphics wears off.

Personally I think the right stick shoot is cool for the shootout, but not for any other part of the game. Think about it. If you are so worried about using the right stick, what is the chance your are going to be passing the puck around or taking one timers? Further, the stick becomes unintuitive with different camera angles.

While the right stick idea is fun, in practice I believe the standard controls of NHL 2K7 work better. To top it off, NHL 2K7 is the overall superior game with much more features and more realistic feeling gameplay as IGN's review notes. The gimmick in NHL 07 is most definitely fun, but for a hockey game you will be playing for the next year I think it will wear thin after a month and one would desire the gameplay of 2K7.

As for the Cinemotion orchestra music, that can be disabled and regular arena ambience can be enabled.

Dynasty looks to be more hands-on than Madden to compare EA games. Salary cap, minor leagues, team chemistry, and even the GM stuff (ticket prices, etc.) are all in here. I, myself, only like playing the games, but that stuff is in there.

Nice touch, at least in the tournament, is that if you win, there's actual celebration/cinema in 07. It's just guys skating around, lifting the trophy, flag ceremony and a team pic at the end, but it's way better than the static "You Win" game screen.

The first 10 games or so you'll be so wrapped up in your stick handling, that yeah, you forget about getting the other guys involved. After that initial learning curve though, you'll just control it instinctively and you'll be looking for your teammates and at the defenders more than worrying about where the puck is. Scoring goals has yet to become ho-hum affairs. I still get into it when I score a goal, 'cause I actually feel like I had a good hand in it instead of just "press X, I score" variety in past hockey titles.

2K7 does have some nice animations, as does 07, but the former's character models, and specifically, the player faces, don't even come close to EA's offerings. And I can't stand the 2K UI.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']It might almost be the other way around. 2K7 has the fancy camera angles and the "flash" but I think EA is deeper in terms of control and the overall feel of hockey. EA just feels more like being at the game than does 2K7.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Never thought I would hear that from you. I'm guessing your going with EA this year? We had alot of games online against eachother and it was pretty fun. Of course when the thing would lock up and one of us would lose connection, that sucked. It looks like 2k has gotten their act together with the online issues from more that I read... but...

We are so use to the 2k controls, and we've seen it all (atleast I have) for the last few years. Every year I've bought the 2k series,and my dad would play EA's on his pc, and from comparsion 2k>EA every year... till now it seems.

I am still gonna hold off and wait on impressions. My budget is tight with so many games out there that I might not get it till Xmas. But It's pretty rough seeing hockey games get so high reviews and hold off. I guess It's only a matter of breaking down... breaking down as we speak :p

Well after spending a considerable amount of time with both heres my two cents

NHL07 is cool with its new stick. After it wears off and you realize that its just a right stick control you start to realize that the game is bare bones. Not to mention if i get one more gay ass i'm going to skate up the ice and the puck is mysteriously go off my goalies back slowly goal i'm going to shoot someone. Say what you will about the right stick, thats just a cover of paint over poor animations and overall a choppy hockey game.

2K7 feels overall like the better hockey game this year, and with the slider settings already being worked on it just feels perfect so far.

i'll write a longer comparison later have to sleep a little :D

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow. Never thought I would hear that from you. I'm guessing your going with EA this year? We had alot of games online against eachother and it was pretty fun. Of course when the thing would lock up and one of us would lose connection, that sucked. It looks like 2k has gotten their act together with the online issues from more that I read... but...

We are so use to the 2k controls, and we've seen it all (atleast I have) for the last few years. Every year I've bought the 2k series,and my dad would play EA's on his pc, and from comparsion 2k>EA every year... till now it seems.

I am still gonna hold off and wait on impressions. My budget is tight with so many games out there that I might not get it till Xmas. But It's pretty rough seeing hockey games get so high reviews and hold off. I guess It's only a matter of breaking down... breaking down as we speak :p[/quote]
I know, I feel like a traitor or something because of the switch-over :cry:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I know, I feel like a traitor or something because of the switch-over :cry:[/QUOTE]

Lol. Not really, you can always buy 2k7 later :p I'm able to resist this hockey urge for alittle longer and wait on more opinions. Maynard seems to think the EA game is a tempoary smile on your face, while 2k goes the distance.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Lol. Not really, you can always buy 2k7 later :p I'm able to resist this hockey urge for alittle longer and wait on more opinions. Maynard seems to think the EA game is a tempoary smile on your face, while 2k goes the distance.[/quote]Well that's why I don't purchase games with his recommendation :). I wish I could've resisted the urge, but hockey is just too damn cool.

I'll break it down like this NHL07 is cool with new innovation, its cool if you a casual playing hockey fan. If you want to go the distance and play online leagues and really tweak your game to make it extremely real 2K7 is the way to go. I'm sorry i played hockey for 9+ years and 07 does not feel like real hockey.

Let's not kid ourselves, both games are far from REAL hockey. EA has the better presentation and better flow, meaning smoothness, sound, and graphics, and also has more control over the player and his stick. The only way they could get more realistic with the shots is to hand you a stick and let you play with that. Online leagues for the past 2K games have always been faulty, at least in my experience with them, as well as a lot of aspects of the online portion of those games. This is my first time with an EA hockey game and have not been let down yet, and I am a die-hard hockey fan.

Whether or not EA's 07 has better presentation, better flow, sound, graphics and better control than 2K's game is debatable but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so everyone will have a different opinion on this.

The only faulty things I've seen in 2K online leagues is people not playing there games. I'm not saying people don't encounter problems on occasion but I have never had any problems with them. It would be nice if EA would incorporate these in their games. How long have gamers been asking for some options in the online area? To dam long and we keep getting ranked and unranked games without being about to customize any of the gameplay settings.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Let's not kid ourselves, both games are far from REAL hockey. EA has the better presentation and better flow, meaning smoothness, sound, and graphics, and also has more control over the player and his stick. The only way they could get more realistic with the shots is to hand you a stick and let you play with that. Online leagues for the past 2K games have always been faulty, at least in my experience with them, as well as a lot of aspects of the online portion of those games. This is my first time with an EA hockey game and have not been let down yet, and I am a die-hard hockey fan.[/quote]

I agree withyou on all except flow, 2k flows more like real hockey and the animation is real jerky with the players in 07. The passing is my newest gripe with 07 the passing sucks.

[quote name='Maynard']I agree withyou on all except flow, 2k flows more like real hockey and the animation is real jerky with the players in 07. The passing is my newest gripe with 07 the passing sucks.[/quote]I actually like that it's not tape to tape passing. You've gotta hold the direction of the player you're passing to in order to complete a pass. Kinda like focusing in on him on the ice. That said, the percentages of my passes going through is still 80% or thereabouts.

I'm trying to like this man i'm playing it non stop and i gotta tell you guys the skating and animation for skating is garbage compared to 2K7 just isn't fluid at all. I'm going offside because of gay jerky animations and shit. Too bad to cause i want to like this game. Oh and Defense blows asshole in nhl07 just sucks so hard. WTF is with the poke checks?

edit this game is garbage i'm sorry it just isn't as good as 2k7 but i'm glad some of you guys like it but you guys who are teetering on wether or not you want to switch from 2k. Dont. Rent this and you'll understand why.

edit ok tried turning off the gay "use the triggers to pass" control setup and its a little better now with the face buttons and you still can use the right stick to shoot and stuff.

edit Ok on Superstar i just won 4 to 0 against the oilers. Lets detail my goals.

1st goal: Slapshot blueline bounced in the air and rolled down the goalies back as he stood there and didn't move. His LD skated up and tipped it in while trying to recover it.

2nd goal: One timer to P. Datsyuk hit goalie in the left shoulder and rolled behind him and he knocked it in.

3rd goal: R. Lang one timer to P. Datsyuk but the pass never reached Datsyuk it bounced off a Oilers skate and slowly went through Roloson's 5 hole. (if that happened on my hockey team in real life we would have a full metal jacket sock party you know what i mean :))

4th goal: M. Samuelsson to robert lang slap shot one timer off of the right crossbar and down (this goal was god damn beautiful i tell you) this was the one legitimate goal i feel i earned.

Same teams in 2K7 i won on Hall of Fame 2 to 1 in a ridiculously hard game and both goals i scored were hockey goals. I want to like NHL 07 so bad cause it has great stuff going for it. The right stick idea is awesome, the skating is awful, the commentators are great brings me back to ESPN NHL days, the skating animations are jerky and cause unnecessary offsides and problems. The poke check makes your player skate around uncontrolably not to mention some of the strangest animations ever when you press poke check. I press up on a guy and poke checked him well he bumped me and i LITERALLY flew backwards behind my goal without hitting the Left Thumbstick at all. You should have seen my face and trying ot figure out why i went flying the opposite way. NHL 07 is not a BAD game at all though guys. I support that its a definate step in the right direction, but they need to work on fluidity of the skating. I'm active on the NHL07 boards at EA and were all sorta agreeing. 2K7 is more of the same thats why it got the reviews it did. Its just 2K6 with a fresh coat of paint on it in all honesty but it flows better and the new skating engine in 2K7 is gorgeous and you can be an artist just with your skating in it vs. a jerky mess of weird ass animations. On the defense the skating has messed me up 20 times at least it just is a pain in the god damn ass. But i will keep both this year because i do enjoy playing both and my friends have one and the other. 2K7 for die hard hockey nuts and NHL 07 for pick up hockey nuts.

I'll post my slider settings for NHL 2K7 later today.

[quote name='Maynard']I'm trying to like this man i'm playing it non stop and i gotta tell you guys the skating and animation for skating is garbage compared to 2K7 just isn't fluid at all. I'm going offside because of gay jerky animations and shit. Too bad to cause i want to like this game. Oh and Defense blows asshole in nhl07 just sucks so hard. WTF is with the poke checks?

edit this game is garbage i'm sorry it just isn't as good as 2k7 but i'm glad some of you guys like it but you guys who are teetering on wether or not you want to switch from 2k. Dont. Rent this and you'll understand why.[/quote]
I'm really wondering if we are playing the same game or not. I've played about 10 games so far on the All-Star difficulty and haven't let one goal in yet, and the AI averages about 10 shots on goal per game (because the ability to easily control my defensemen/goalie). The poke check is easy to do, you just have to remember to aim it with the joystick while you hit the bumper. I still have yet to see anything jerky from this game, maybe you're seeing things? :)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm really wondering if we are playing the same game or not. I've played about 10 games so far on the All-Star difficulty and haven't let one goal in yet, and the AI averages about 10 shots on goal per game (because the ability to easily control my defensemen/goalie). The poke check is easy to do, you just have to remember to aim it with the joystick while you hit the bumper. I still have yet to see anything jerky from this game, maybe you're seeing things? :)[/quote]

I promise we are playing the same game :) you and i should hook up on live and play tonight if not tomorrow. Im interested to play someone who knows how to play the game.

Ok, I just rented NHL 07 today and I'm not sure if I like the shot stick. I actually think I prefer the face buttons of 2K7. I know you can change 07 to "Classic Control", so I may try that. The shot stick seems weird.....one timers are not as fluid, shooting is hit or miss for me too. Also, some cheap goals were let it....

Overall, the game seems ok. Maybe If I go with OLD controls I might like better. I may just sit out hockey this year anyways.

I don't understand why people want games to be exact sims of sports. It's nice to be real, but by no means would I want to play Madden and have scores like 21-12.

[quote name='Maynard']I promise we are playing the same game :) you and i should hook up on live and play tonight if not tomorrow. Im interested to play someone who knows how to play the game.[/quote]
For sure, I sent you a friends request. By no means am I a pro at the game, it's still a little hard to remember every single exact control, but I guess I'm not too bad.

Well keep debating and we'll see.I just bought Test Drive unlimited instead since I grabbed it for about half the price of NHL07 and 2k7. I'm sure 07 or 2k7 will go on sale before December hits. Maybe then I'll pick up one.

bread's done
Back