Finally bought a PS2!

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Only took me 7 years to get around to it (well, technically 3, since I didn't get into this generation of gaming until 04), but I picked up a PS2 today. I'm paranoid about its durability as a previously Nintendo-exclusive owner, but hopefully my luck with consoles will hold and Sony's warranty won't even be necessary.

I'm not going to need a ton of game recommendations yet - currently have DQVIII, Disgaea 2, Tales of the Abyss, and Rogue Galaxy, which will keep me busy for an immeasurable amount of time (and I will plan on getting Okami, God of War, FFX, probably a few others) - but I did realize I need a memory card. Does conventional wisdom apply here? i.e. New over used, 1st party over 3rd party? Not too excited about spending $25 on a memory card, but oh well. And is the 8MB card going to be enough storage for the forseeable future?

Personally I will only buy first party memory cards. I had a few third party ones go out on me during the PSone era, and since then I have sworn them off.

I hope you enjoy DQVIII and Rogue Galaxy as much as I did. :D

I bought one of those 16MB third party memory cards and I haven't had any problems with it. It's a bit slow but the only things I have to compare it to is a PC and an Xbox. Not bad for under $20.

I must start playing DQVIII again, stuck at like the middle of the game, darn DQ games actually being challenging and requiring leveling. And definitely go for first party memory cards, ive had my fair share of bad third party cards in the psone days.

Botticus;

That's funny, I only got mine when you posted the thread about Amazon selling them for $100 with two free games a while back. That was a kick ass deal I'm glad I jumped on. Ratchet and Clank is the bomb.

Thanks again for posting that :bouncy:

I already sold him one of my extra 1st party memory cards for $10, so that's the end of that debate ;)

I am jealous though, I wish I could experience that feeling of buying an awesome console and having probably over a hundred great games to choose from! Hell, you could probably ride on the PS2's awesome library and just completely skip the next gen!

Make sure to get Persona 3 though :D

[quote name='wageslave']Botticus;

That's funny, I only got mine when you posted the thread about Amazon selling them for $100 with two free games a while back. That was a kick ass deal I'm glad I jumped on. Ratchet and Clank is the bomb.

Thanks again for posting that :bouncy:[/quote]Haha, that was a good deal, that, had it been now, I probably would have jumped on. But since my flipping last summer got me some really cheap credit, the system and three games only cost me about $70 in cash, can't complain.

No clue which game I'll start first, but other than testing the used games this weekend to make sure they're all good, I'll probably have to wait till after my honeymoon.

[quote name='Roufuss']
Make sure to get Persona 3 though :D[/quote]Psh... a $50 PS2 game? You must be out your mind, boy.

[quote name='Roufuss']I am jealous though, I wish I could experience that feeling of buying an awesome console and having probably over a hundred great games to choose from![/quote] I thought the same thing when I read the OP.

Welcome to the club and have fun building up another backlog!

Ah, a PS2... lesse what you need to get.

Ratchet 2 and 3
Sly 2 and 3
Psi-Ops

The list goes on, but those are the things you NEED. And they should all be cheap.

congrats on getting into one of the best gaming experiences ever.
as far as games of course the ratchet and clank and jak series ( greatest platformers ever) 1-3.

ico
shadow of the colossus
the suffering 1-2
kingdom hearts
and the gta series

I've never heard of current PS2 systems breaking, so you should be fine as far as that... you definitely started out with some damn good games and I have to say, you've got a hell of a lot of good games you can play now. Definitely a worthy purchase.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']I use 3rd party and have never had a problem. I use the yellow Nyko ones[/quote]

The NYKO memory cards are an exception as they are officially licensed by SONY and work just fine. They also come in a variety of two tone colors now such as, red & white, blue & white, black & red, red & clear, etc. I saw tons of them at Target, but still are priced a couple bucks less than a single SONY card at 19.00 each.
The best price I have found for official SONY cards is at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstation-Memory-Card-Blue/dp/B00006F2EP/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4702182-7078244?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1178376417&sr=1-1

You have made the smartest decision my friend. There are many excellent games that are a must-play and shouldn't cost you more than $20. The only reason I didn't jump onto the PS3 bandwagon just yet is because I still have a huge backlog of PS2 games I still need to play, including DQVIII which has been collecting dust for several months now.

The PS2 is far from being a dead console, unlike what anyone says. It's got enough games to keep you busy for years. And I know you will not be disappointated with your purchase.

Happy gaming.

[quote name='depascal22']Pick up Shadow of the Colossus if you want a break from the RPGs.[/quote]

QFT. I received this game as a Christmas present last year and just got around to playing it earlier today. I can tell from my brief time with the game that it will not be too terribly long. I estimate about 7 hours from start to finish. However, the colossi fights are utterly mind blowing.

I suppose I'll also mention that I'm not a huge fan of platformers, but SotC and Ico certainly broadened my horizons.

If I were a lesser man, I would blame the purchase of my first non-Nintendo console on the death of the (albeit free) TV in my game room today. But I will be the bigger man and say it just gave me a reason to get an HDTV for the living room immediately after the wedding. :D

I still hate the DualShock though, so it looks like I will need to grab the Logitech wireless controller.

Do the blue discs make anyone elses' disc drive spin really loudly? I tried out Tales, DQ, and Disgaea and they were all fine, but then I put in Marvel vs Capcom 2 to test before I sell it, and it was obnoxiously loud to load up, then quiet again after it started.

[quote name='botticus']\
Do the blue discs make anyone elses' disc drive spin really loudly? I tried out Tales, DQ, and Disgaea and they were all fine, but then I put in Marvel vs Capcom 2 to test before I sell it, and it was obnoxiously loud to load up, then quiet again after it started.[/QUOTE]

Blue disc is a regular CD, and yea, mine get pretty loud too.

It's when companies decide to cheap out and don't want to pay extra to use a DVD... it's rare to come across one these days, I was shocked when Raiden 3 was a blue disc =o

Add Psychonauts and Alien Hominid to your list of things to get. Yes, there are many titles "available", but finding them all isn't the easiest at this point. Online is probably the best best and of course the B2G1 at EB/GS.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Add Psychonauts and Alien Hominid to your list of things to get. Yes, there are many titles "available", but finding them all isn't the easiest at this point. Online is probably the best best and of course the B2G1 at EB/GS.[/quote]

I can't recommend Psychonauts enough. Tim Schafer games are fucking awesome and worth every penny at full original MSRP.

Don't forget all the fighters you missed out on. Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter 4, Guilty Gear X2, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection are all out there.

I actually would only recommend Psychonauts at budget price. It was fun, yes, unique, yes but the 3D platformer genre is so much better executed elsewhere.

My short list of recommendations for your new PS2(played them all, own them all, love em all):

Prices for the games I mentioned(only used GS prices for now) are in orange. Enjoy.

Red Dead Revolver(also try GUN for another Old West themed game)CHEAP @ GS right now, probably UNDER $10.

War Of The Monsters(if you liked those old Neo Geo monster wrestling games, this is one you can't pass up)This costs about $15-20ish @ GS I think.
The Godfather(yeah, another sandbox game, but nothing is quite as fun as taking over businesses, actually own this for Xbox, but its STILL worth it imo)I believe this is $18ish at GS right now.

Silent Hill 2 & 3(two words for Silent Hill 2 make it worth the price of admission alone, PYRAMID HEAD If you've seen the movie, you know WHO I'm talking about. Also, Silent Hill 4 was never intended to be a SH game in the first place) Silent Hill 2 is under $10 @ GS I believe, SH 3 is $30ish at GS.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1&2(lots of luck finding BG DA 2 for cheap though, action RPGs at their best)Dark Alliance 1 is at GS for $12, DA II costs $45 used there, if you can find it.

Zone Of The Enders 1&2(again, best of luck finding #2 for less than $50 used) ZOE 1 is @ GS for UNDER $10 or so

Robot Alchemic Drive(also called RAD, you control a HUGE robot/mech from the ground via a remote control, you really have to have a good vantage point to avoid being stomped on in this game) At GS for under $20 last I checked

I have over 25 titles for the PS2, but many more for Xbox which also were on the PS2. I'll post a bit more later, but those are some of the 'must haves' imo for the PS2.

Oh and to whoever said the newer PS2s DON'T break down, I've heard different. The original release of the Silver Slims in Japan had major compatability issues and many of the US ones go 'brick' after 3-6 months. I've also seen DREs on slim PStwos before, so they're not immune to Sony's 'curse'.

Metal Gear Solid Series.
Kingdom Hearts Series.
Devil May Cry Series.
God of War Series.
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.
Final Fantasy X and XII.

Essentials.

Considering you have kids, I would suggest Jak, Jak 2, and Jak 3, Psychonauts, Kingdom Hearts, Guitar Hero, Shadow of the Collossus, and Burnout 3. The Ratchet and Clank series would also work.

And Dino Crisis 2.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Metal Gear Solid Series.
Kingdom Hearts Series.
Devil May Cry Series.
God of War Series.
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.
Final Fantasy X and XII.

Essentials.[/QUOTE]

Add the Onimusha series to that and you are set. :D

Damn, botticus... you have a lot of gaming to do!

Congratulations on the PS2, it's the best system of last generation in terms of the sheer amount of quality games.

[quote name='yukine']Damn, botticus... you have a lot of gaming to do!

Congratulations on the PS2, it's the best system of last generation in terms of the sheer amount of quality games.[/quote]But no time. :whistle2:( At least I'll never have any moments of boredom for the next few years.

hehe, nice work botticus.

Guy from Cleveland gets PS2 way late near his wedding? It's a repeat from what I did last July ;)

Since you're more into the RPGs I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly. If you're not wild about RPGs like I'm not, there's not much on the system you can't get elsewhere. Do pick up one of the Katamari games and Shadow of the Colossus. If I still owned the PS2, those would probably be the only games I'd own.

man PS2 was such a good system, and there were so many good games for it. Hopefully PS3 will continue the trend, because it doesn't look so good right now.

I've had my PS2 since the first week in December 2000 and i've never had to get it serviced......and yes it works fine. I've been tearing up God of War 2 lately.

[quote name='Awcrap']You have made the smartest decision my friend. There are many excellent games that are a must-play and shouldn't cost you more than $20. The only reason I didn't jump onto the PS3 bandwagon just yet is because I still have a huge backlog of PS2 games I still need to play, including DQVIII which has been collecting dust for several months now.

The PS2 is far from being a dead console, unlike what anyone says. It's got enough games to keep you busy for years. And I know you will not be disappointated with your purchase.

Happy gaming.[/QUOTE]

since I've been hanging out at CAG, I've been buying more than I've been playing... now I have a HUGE backlog of ps2 games to play. I think that I'm going to make babies with my wife and have them play some of the games... I don't think I could do it by myself... but damn I guess I could at least open the game and spin the disc one time.

The PS2 recently surpassed the SNES as my favorite console of all time.

I will be playing my PS2 for the next 5 years minimum. If my ps2 broke today, I'd run out and buy a new one with no hesitation.

Since your getting married, and time to play will be short, I suggest getting some of the great compilation/classics collections. Sega Genesis collection is great. Why pay $8 each on the Wii's VC, when you can get 30 genny classics for $20? Also try Capcom collections, Metal Slug Anthology, Megaman Collection, Taito Legends, etc...

bread's done
Back