Finding a PS3 "Fat"

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I'm considering picking up an older model PS3 just for the looks. I know it will be difficult to find one but are eBay and Craigslist the only options? Time is not an issue, I just don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for one.

80 gb without b/c is fine with me.

Yeah the older ones have connection probs, least the 2 people i know calim to have probs. Cant even get on uncharted 2. My slim works perfect. Id go slim but thats just me

I 2nd the new slim version...i purchased it when it came out and have had little to no problems since purchase...now i just wish the 360 had similar quality XD

I have 3 PS3's (dont ask...got the third one - one of the so-called "fat" models - for $50...again, dont ask :p).

...so I have a slim PS3 and 2 "fat" ones (one in the living room, one in my bedroom, and my brother is using the $50 one :p) and in all honesty, I like the original models much better. I have NEVER had a problem once on either of my older PS3's (nor on the slim, although I just picked that up a few weeks ago) and they look so much nicer than the slim ones IMHO. I have heard of the much rumored YLOD and wireless connection problems...but I have never seen it. I watch blu-rays all the time (I dont own a stand-alone blu-ray player and watch blu-rays regularly...me and my girl are kind of movie-buffs :)) on my original PS3 I bought when it was released and to this day I have never had a single problem. My only annoyance would be when switching from my 52" flatscreen hi-def TV to a standard-def TV, and back...you have to hold the power button down sometimes when turning it on because it does not automatically recognize the change from HDMI output to component (and vice-versa)...but it is an extremely minor annoyance and other than that it is an A+ machine.

If I didnt have a PS3, and had the choice of getting a slim one or the older "fat" one, I would have to go for the fattie hands-down. I love the style and reliability of my PS3's, and I love how quiet it is. I can barely hear it when it is on...my 360 (with an upgraded fan) is soo much louder, but it needs to be that way because I dont want to risk getting my 4th red-ring (I am on my 4th 360 - 2 of them were refurbs from MS, adding the original one I bought and one I have now makes 4 :whistle2:(). Hence my nickname of red ring of death :p.

Anyway, either way you go with a PS3, you will not be dissappointed :D:D;)
I am not trying to champion one system over another...as I thoroughly enjoy and regularly use both...but it is kind of hard not to be biased when you have spent hundreds of dollars on gaming systems that will inevitably fail. I dont have these problems with my original PS3 (or any of them for that matter)...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DurbanBrown']Yeah the older ones have connection probs, least the 2 people i know calim to have probs. Cant even get on uncharted 2. My slim works perfect. Id go slim but thats just me[/QUOTE]

Really? mine works freaking fine as ever.

[quote name='killer9']40 gb used is 229.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=68183

80 gb used is 249.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72446
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76641

here u go op[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, I would just go with the $229.99, 40GB one. Save the $20 to put it towards a 500GB+ laptop hard drive to toss in it. When shopping for a PS3, the hard drive size should not be a consideration seeing as how cheap it is to acquire after-market hard drives that are much bigger. As soon as I got my PS3, I tossed my 40BG hard-drive in the trash and picked up a 250GB one. Now a days, I think 250GB laptop hard drives that will work in a PS3 are going for around $60...

That is one of the awesome things about the PS3...it will take a laptop hard drive! :D

[quote name='Spanish_Godzilla']Really? mine works freaking fine as ever.[/QUOTE]

Same here and I have 2 BC 80GB models and I havnen't had any issues with it online. I do though tend to use the wired connection since it suppose to be more reliable. Not sure why people would want to online game on wireless connection due to chances of lag. I know sometimes it isn't possible to hard wire it based on where you are setting up your PS3 but I would really think twice about doing that if you can't run a wire to it.

Either way wired or wireless I haven't had connection problems.

[quote name='Spanish_Godzilla']Really? mine works freaking fine as ever.[/QUOTE]

Same here and I have 2 BC 80GB models and I havnen't had any issues with it online. I do though tend to use the wired connection since it suppose to be more reliable. Not sure why people would want to online game on wireless connection due to chances of lag. I know sometimes it isn't possible to hard wire it based on where you are setting up your PS3 but I would really think twice about doing that if you can't run a wire to it.

Either way wired or wireless I haven't had connection problems. Great machine and I actually prefer the older look better as it looks more expensive. Though that is just my preference.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']
I am not trying to champion one system over another...as I thoroughly enjoy and regularly use both...but it is kind of hard not to be biased when you have spent hundreds of dollars on gaming systems that will inevitably fail. I dont have these problems with my original PS3 (or any of them for that matter)...[/QUOTE]

yes you are, but that's ok, opinions are allowed. i agree the fattie looks better, but i say function over form, look for a slim. newer tech is almost always the way to go, it uses less power, so it costs you less in the long run. you also get a bigger hd. the warranty is going to last longer on a new one. the next problem is finding one of the slims as they seem to be hard to find. bottom line though, find the best deal, if you are ok with used, get the best deal, you're a cag. it's not exactly brain science to know the fatties are going to be cheaper on craigslist and the kind.

[quote name='tigerpants']yes you are, but that's ok, opinions are allowed. i agree the fattie looks better, but i say function over form, look for a slim. newer tech is almost always the way to go, it uses less power, so it costs you less in the long run. you also get a bigger hd. the warranty is going to last longer on a new one. the next problem is finding one of the slims as they seem to be hard to find. bottom line though, find the best deal, if you are ok with used, get the best deal, you're a cag. it's not exactly brain science to know the fatties are going to be cheaper on craigslist and the kind.[/QUOTE]

OK, maybe I am a bit. Dont get me wrong, I love playing my 360 online...but as I said earlier that it is very hard not to be biased when you have had the hardware problems I have...and I am not alone...but that is netiher here nor there. :p

Getting to what you said... I would have to agree with your statement since it is logical and full of common sense. :) Newer usually relates to better, or at the very least, more reliable. If you dont have a lot of money then I would go with the slim for sure. The hard drive in the slims are just as easy to change as fat ones (it involves 1 screw and a hard drive tray slider thing that pulls out) are, and, as tigerpants said, the slim will come with a warranty (which I never had to use...but you never know, better safe than sorry ;)).

i saw an ad for fry's b&m for a $240 refurb 40gb ps3 fattie if that helps. no idea if they have any, you might find them cheaper on craigslist, but it seems like a decent deal.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']OK, maybe I am a bit. Dont get me wrong, I love playing my 360 online...but as I said earlier that it is very hard not to be biased when you have had the hardware problems I have...and I am not alone...but that is netiher here nor there. :p

Getting to what you said... I would have to agree with your statement since it is logical and full of common sense. :) Newer usually relates to better, or at the very least, more reliable. If you dont have a lot of money then I would go with the slim for sure. The hard drive in the slims are just as easy to change as fat ones (it involves 1 screw and a hard drive tray slider thing that pulls out) are, and, as tigerpants said, the slim will come with a warranty (which I never had to use...but you never know, better safe than sorry ;)).[/QUOTE]

sure, i've had friends with the infamous rrod, i understand the frustration, it sucks. i'm sure there are some ps3 ylod people who have sworn off sony, much fewer i'm sure. i respect that. stick it to whichever company screwed you. also sometimes newer is crappier, with cheaper parts and such, i can't think of an example off the top of my head. in terms of the slim, i have heard no such complaints, so it sounds solid.

i think for the op, go for the best deal, that's my advice. the fattie does look the best, but how much is that worth. i'm kinda a geek, so the linux option is cool too. though i definitely wouldn't pay a premium for it.

Even if your Xbox does not rrod which my first one did. Your dvd drive can and probably will crap out eventually as mine is starting to do on my 2nd 360. The dvd drive issue is what made me get another 360 btw. I have a 60gb PS3 too btw which is my main console now. I would recommend that one if you're looking for a fat simply because it has the full backwards compatibility and you can still swap out the hard drive yourself for any size you want.

Just want to re-iterate about the reliability of the older models. I have 2 60bg PS3's with the latest firmware installed and both work fine.

Been loving my big fat fatty 80gb BC since launch day. She is a little loud, but I like it haha. Not a single problem with blu rays, games or wifi. My two cents!

Not to highjack OP's thread, but if I were looking to acquire a PS3, would you guys recommend not buying a refurbished one from gamestop?

bread's done
Back