finding Gamecube games

Craigslist. Sometimes you can hit goldmines, like when moms are selling their son's stuff for super cheap. It's cruel, but that's how I picked up the DKC trilogy, Link to the Past, and Chrono Trigger for SNES. It's going to be a little harder for gamecube though, at least for a fair price.

Decent Gamecube games recently became hard to come by, as the nostalgia factor kicked in, as well as Nintendo still not having any GC games available yet on the Wii U VC.  This was compounded by the fact that GS stopped carrying GC games for over a year now (besides the random restocks on their website).

Only four places you can come by them relatively affordable (but still random) is craigslist (most expensive but easiest to search), pawn shops (about 50/50, some shops price them out relatively affordable), flea markets (though some prices can be ridiculous), and thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, Value Village).

Out of all the options, thrift stores are the best bet to get them cheap, but there is a lot of competition and sparse donations of Gamecube games.

Also special note if you have a Half Price Books nearby, you can usually find really good condition games, and if you can wait for a coupon, the prices become pretty affordable too.

Finally, I have to mention CAG trade forums, great value if you are trading, not as much if you do plan on buying outright (but prices still better than eBay).

Good luck!

Decent Gamecube games recently became hard to come by, as the nostalgia factor kicked in, as well as Nintendo still not having any GC games available yet on the Wii U VC. This was compounded by the fact that GS stopped carrying GC games for over a year now (besides the random restocks on their website).

Only four places you can come by them relatively affordable (but still random) is craigslist (most expensive but easiest to search), pawn shops (about 50/50, some shops price them out relatively affordable), flea markets (though some prices can be ridiculous), and thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, Value Village).

Out of all the options, thrift stores are the best bet to get them cheap, but there is a lot of competition and sparse donations of Gamecube games.

Also special note if you have a Half Price Books nearby, you can usually find really good condition games, and if you can wait for a coupon, the prices become pretty affordable too.

Finally, I have to mention CAG trade forums, great value if you are trading, not as much if you do plan on buying outright (but prices still better than eBay).

Good luck!
Decent Gamecube games recently became hard to come by, as the nostalgia factor kicked in, as well as Nintendo still not having any GC games available yet on the Wii U VC. This was compounded by the fact that GS stopped carrying GC games for over a year now (besides the random restocks on their website).

Good luck!
i tried my local half price books they always have jack squat

i tried my local half price books they always have jack squat
HPB GC stock is low because just not enough people are trading them in (rather they are just selling online or keeping). However, I would check their stock once a week, I've seen some nice GC games come in my local store recently, like RE1/2/3/4 and MKDD at reasonable prices when you use a coupon.

I've also managed to grab a few clearance GC games from them (tons more in the PS2 / PS1 category), but over the course of a few months. Collecting on the cheap is a marathon, not a sprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also managed to grab a few clearance GC games from them (tons more in the PS2 / PS1 category), but over the course of a few months. Collecting on the cheap is a marathon, not a sprint.
While I would normally agree, I'm kinda glad I just said fuck it and paid up for decent copies of most GC games I wanted about a year ago. I paid $40-45 each for Cubivore and Gotcha Force and both of those are much higher now. Even some of the more popular stuff is going for quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah if you must have it in your collection, then I'd agree to just suck it up and buy it when you see a decent enough price online.  It's not like its going to tank in price anytime soon (look at Pikmin 2 and WW on the Cube, both are still valued despite rereleases).

And if you do happen to find a cheap price in the future, it's not like you can't sell that off to recoup the original buy in price.

Yeah if you must have it in your collection, then I'd agree to just suck it up and buy it when you see a decent enough price online. It's not like its going to tank in price anytime soon (look at Pikmin 2 and WW on the Cube, both are still valued despite rereleases).

And if you do happen to find a cheap price in the future, it's not like you can't sell that off to recoup the original buy in price.
Plus the Wii rerelease of Pikmin 2 ended up skyrocketing up after they clearanced it out.

Your kind of SOL if eBay is your only option. You can put the legwork in and go to pawnshops and see what they have left, I'm sure most of the good stuff has been picked up by resellers.

Flea markets are your best bet in terms of value (I've found $30-40 GC games for $1 or even less at times).  Thrift stores are really hit or miss, I've discovered, but you can get some good deals.  I rarely buy on Ebay anymore unless its a game I really want since people tend to price gouge the heck out of you.  Craigslist is really the only thing I use for online purchases anymore.  

Also, just as an FYI to everyone, Goodwill you can almost completely disregard nowadays as any semi-valuable game they take in from donations are put up on ebay instead of putting them out on the shelves.

Pawnshops or goodwill,i found most of my collection at the pawnshop,a few at the goodwill,and i did pick up a rare one at a game store that deals in retro/classic games. Sometimes you're gonna have to pay top dollar,can't find them all in the wild.

bread's done
Back