Fire Emblem: PR (Late to the party)

BREVITY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
After finishing FFXII a few days ago and since I don’t have any new games for my consoles I thought I would dive into my ever growing backlog. I muddled through trying to play a few games that I had thought I would have loved back when they came out but I don’t seem to now. Then I tossed in Fire Emblem:pR (GC) and was wowed right off by its over all clean look. I had not played the GBA versions but I do own them, just never got around to it. I am a huge fan of turn based strategy RPGs like FF:TA and Tactics Ogre for GBA. So when I took another look at the box and then started to recall what this game was all about from a while back, I couldn’t believe I had not played through it before. To let you know how well I had forgot about this game I found that I had bought a copy around the time that it came out then because I am a true cheap ass gamer I found that I bought another copy when I seen it on sale at Hasting for like 10$ a few months back. I had totally forgotten I had the first copy.

Anyway it’s the first GC game I have tossed in the Wii and I really thought it looked very crisp for a GC game. I was of course playing with HD cables on my LCD TV (Prog scan on). Incidentally on a side note I love that my wave birds work just fine on the Wii. Now I am only about an hour into the game so if it gets different I of course don’t know that yet but my only complaints about the game are really only minor so far. But it seems very simplistic I mean with the great many of these grid based tactical RPGs out there I thought this one does not offer really anything new but it also does not offer anything older and more complex both FFTA and TO beat the socks off it as far as minor complex fighting elements. So far I have not had to think very much about any of the battles. They are very ez and so what if I put lance guy against sword guy (or however that goes) it turns out my dude wins every time. But maybe that will get harder. Also and this is not even really a complaint because more often than not I really like this in games. But the game is very linear I mean so far it to the point that there is not the slightest deviation, it’s like its on rails. Finally, I am not so jaded that I take in game options for granted. I love all the options for this game. I turned off the animated battles and was pleased with the chess like moves that they do instead.

I think the game is good so far and I can’t get over how nice it looks the colors are rich and vibrant. Anyways a nice surprise that I thought I’d share.

My only issue with the game was the odd balancing problem. Once you get about a third or halfway through the game, you could probably take just your paladins in every battle and win out every time.

But glad you're enjoying it so far. It ended up taking me a good 40-50 hours, and I loved every minute of it. Except for the replaying due to being too anal to allow a character to die. :D I need to replay it one of these days, hopefully before the Wii version comes out. There are a ton of unlockable characters that I missed the first time around.

[quote name='The Crotch']The difficulty in the GBA games fluctuated like hell. You could be demolishing the enemy one turn, and then the next spells and ballista bolts are dropping your pegasi like flies from the fog of war. I've been holding off on getting Path of Radiance due to the (almost certainly untrue) rumour it will be included with the new Wii Fire Emblem.[/quote]thats a bit of a long shot there, besides i paid MSRP for FE:poR when it first came out and it was worth EVERY CENT, definitely getting Goddess at Dawn (or w/e its called) at launch when it comes out here :)

I just picked up a MINT copy of this used the other day for $12. It looked like they opened it at the store and put it on the shelf ten minutes before I got there. I need to squeeze in some quality time with it.

Great game....I like these games to be really tough, cause like you I find FE games really easy (I've beat 4 different FE's though....a couple times each). I thought there would be an unlockable expert mode in POR but there wasnt >

bread's done
Back