Firefighter - $18 @ Amazon & at Walmart (UPDATED OP 1/15)

roland13x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My studio's original Wii game, Real Heroes: Firefighter, just got its first price drop, and it's now down to $20 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Heroes-F..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263007927&sr=8-1

It's a pretty damn fun game, and pretty unique too. I'm totally biased of course, but for $20, you'll get your fun out of it. I'd challenge most gamers to beat it on Hard mode.

Kinda cool seeing that we're now a top-100 selling game on Amazon. Not bad for a game that had no marketing and terrible distribution.

PS - We're getting close to announcing our next project, which is going to be really cool. As a hint...
http://www.facebook.com/RockoftheDead

UPDATE
Looks like we killed Amazon. They are now saying 2-4 weeks before shipping. I'm really hoping we can get them to restock sooner. We ended up being the #51st best selling game on all of Amazon, which is pretty amazing considering not many people heard about the game.

I just wanted to give a hearty THANK YOU to everyone here for being so supportive. This is the only message board I regularly check out, and between the friendly and informative posts and stuff like the Child's Play donations, it's a nice feeling having a sense of community here. Thanks everyone!

UPDATE AGAIN
Looks like it's back in stock. It's like magic!

UPDATE AGAIN AGAIN
And now Walmart.com has it for $18.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11077889

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clarke']Quick question. Why the Wii?[/QUOTE]

He answered it in his second post.
[quote name='roland13x']...our core audience (kids 8-11 year old). We hoped but didn't expect to get the more core gamer interested in the game however...[/QUOTE]

What I want to know is, why is there a giant cheese puff rolling around in that Amazon video?

[quote name='v0yce']He answered it in his second post.

What I want to know is, why is there a giant cheese puff rolling around in that Amazon video?[/QUOTE]

Haha, I just watched the video. Symbolism at its best, I guess..

Wow, lots to discuss here. I'm about to do some more VO recording for our current project, so I'll probably have to come back and finish.

[quote name='Blackout']I would buy your game if I had a Wii. Once I get one I'm going to pick it up. I hope you get some more sales![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Congrats on getting a game out there OP. What engine did you guys use to produce this in?[/QUOTE]

We're currently using an engine called the Vicious Engine. http://www.viciousengine.com. It's a great solution for us because it really is an all-in-one tool, but that also holds it back a little because it's good at a lot of things, but not great in any one area. However, most of the team has been using it for over 4 years, so we're pretty aware of its limitations at this point. Ideally we're planning on creating our own internal tech, but with the budgets we're working with and the time limits (as well as the Wii platform), we're using Vicious on our current project as well as our next one too.

[quote name='Gamelore']Curious. Was the "Real Heroes" brand name created out of desire from the developers or as part of the publishing process?

If your'e curious, it's that apparent "brand" in the title that turns me away from buying.[/QUOTE]

Good to no....this kind of feedback is pretty important. The "Real Heroes" brand name was created for a couple reasons. The first being that we felt there is potential in a series of games that could fall under the "Real Heroes" tag. Although I didn't feel as strongly about that as my partner, I felt it was worth keeping the door open. The second reason is that, well, frankly, naming things is hard. Practically most names are already trademark protected, and if we got too clever with the title, we were afraid the mother and fathers out there might get a bit turned off. We were able to trademark "Real Heroes: Firefighter", so that was a big plus.

However, as I said, this is really good feedback in case we are lucky enough to work on a sequel, which is looking better and better.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']PoltArt.com

hire him.. He would do a sick cover for only $100.. Anything is better than that.[/QUOTE]

A bit too Megadeth for me, but the point is well taken. Appreciate the suggestion though!

[quote name='Gaming-Module']I don't know about the Wii pastel puke shelf thing. I really like the case art of most of the games I own, such as Dawn of Discovery, A Boy and his Blob, Broken Sword, de Blob, Cursed Mountain, Madworld not to mention all of the Nintendo first party stuff that mostly has great case art. Upcoming games like Fragile and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom have great art that caught my eye and made me want to find screenshots and videos.

My problem with yours is that it looks like it belongs with Monster 4x4, Paws and Claws Pet Vet and Alien Monster Bowling League, i.e. terribly generic looking shovelware that, judging from their current prices, didn't even sell that well to the casual crowd.

Maybe lose the focus group next time, hire a passionate artist and instruct him to make an interesting piece of cover art that looks clean and stylistic while still featuring the visual cues needed to let people know what your game is about.[/QUOTE]

All good points, and for sure it's something we're feverishly working on with our current project. And just as a clarification, when I mentioned "focus groups", I'm actually talking about getting people off of CraigsList to check out the game and talk with us for an hour here and there for a couple bucks. I have a feeling some of you picture this grand hall filled with automatons playing the game and asking questions in a robotic voice. Don't get me wrong, while working on the Call of Duty stuff, I've been a part of many of those. But that's not how my studio does it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But the savy gamers who actually read game reviews before making their purchases are going to see the surprisingly stellar reviews about the "Little Developer That Could" (sorry, don't mean to sound patronizing), and be impressed with what they were able to accomplish.

I've bought so many games over the past couple weeks, I was going to hold out on this one. But upon looking around Gamestop.com and other retailers on the web, there don't seem to be many copies out there.

Anyone remember that Firefighter FD18 game for PS2? Anyone seen it in a store lately? Or see how much it costs? I wouldn't be surprised if this game is very hard to find after the initial stock runs out. These are niche games, people. Finding one that's done well is rare enough. Needless to say, I placed my order.

Oh, also, +50 points for having Spike from Buffy/Angel in this game! Too bad he won't be British, I'm sure, haha.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, "the little developer that could" is something we take great pride in. We're not making rehashed sequels or licensed games, and we own all the IP we're working on. In these ridiculously challenging economic times, we've not only kept everyone working and paid, but we've been able to hire a few extra people.

And yeah, we had some significant distribution issues with this game. Something I'm incredibly frustrated about, especially considering you can't go into a store without seeing some of the shittier titles our publisher and distributor put out, yet we're tough to find.

As for FD18...I purchased a copy off Ebay a while back for around $60. According to some NPD numbers I saw, it sold less than 20k in the US, so it's pretty tough to find. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, it does some cool stuff. But it turns Japanese pretty quickly. You start out in some structural fires, and then all the sudden you're attacking robots with your axe or having a fistfight on top of a building with a jetpack wearing dude armed with a flamethrower.

And I'm a HUGE Whedon fan, so getting James Marsters was really awesome. The guy was SUPER cool to work with, and even though he didn't have the British accent, I think he still sounded a lot like Spike throughout the game. He has a fun character too. Really can't wait to work with him again.

If I had a Wii I'd be all over this for for my nephew. His dad is a firefighter and he wants to follow in his Dad's footsteps. He's only like 11, but goes to the station, sometimes trains with them, and has attended the funerals of the few they've lost out of respect. I may pick it up any since I'm planning on a Wii in the next 6 months.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']PoltArt.com

hire him.. He would do a sick cover for only $100.. Anything is better than that.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right? Because video games need to try harder to appeal to socially awkward teenage boys?

The cover the developer used is not high art, but it conveys what it needs to to the target demographic of casual gamers and parents. I like the simplicity of it, and I would probably make similar design decisions if I were marketing this product. It communicates that the game is uncomplicated and casual-friendly. Remember, this game was targeted to children 8-11, which means it has to catch a kid's attention (bright colors, check) and pass a mom's what-is-this-shit sight test. Appealing to the hardcore gamers on this site that happen to like niche products was not the prime objective, from what the OP is saying.

[quote name='salty tbone']Thanks for the heads up OP. A little self promotion helped me learn more about this hidden gem.

Just out of curiosity I checked gamestop.com and the closest new copy of Real Heroes: Firefighter is 47 miles away and used copy is 60+ miles away, so it's already got the makings of a tough-to-find title.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sadly, it's relatively tough to find. I hate pointing fingers about things, but there were some people involved that really dropped the ball, and many retailers didn't even know about the game until a week or two before it shipped. Lessons learned all around...

[quote name='Clarke']Quick question. Why the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Although I see a number of other people respond to this, I'll throw in our reasons briefly. The creative reason is because we felt that the control scheme on the Wii would really help give the feeling of immersion we were looking for. The reality reason is that we had a relatively tiny budget and time frame to release the game. With the Wii, we're able to make a game that can compete with most other games with a team size of 14. For even a budget/crappy 360 title, we'd have to have 35+ people at a bare minimum.

[quote name='scottman']I almost posted this last night when I saw it.
Does anyone know how many of these were printed? I doubt it could be that high. I never bit at $30 or even B2G1. But when it dropped on amazon, the stock changed to "OUT OF STOCK order now, we'll let you know when we get more..." I checked other sites, noticed that almost no one has it, and even on ebay was selling for >$40. So I thought it was gone from amazon for good and the $19.99 was a clearance fluke. Then Amazon stock suddenly moved to 3 in stock, so I ordered one. But apparently amazon has found a decent supply already. And my gamestops claim to be in stock locally. So not sure how rare it actually is.[/QUOTE]

I'd be careful about price speculation on something like this. I'd say the game is not exactly rare, but it is difficult to find. However, we're pushing hard to manufacture more and actually, you know, get it out to retail. You'd think you wouldn't have to remind the distributor of that...but that's how things sometimes go.

[quote name='Target205']Thanks OP! Sounded interesting enough and since SEGA hasn't released "Brave Firefighters" for the Wii, this will do. Also, Vasquez from "Aliens". Coolbeans.

Ordered.[/QUOTE]

Along with being a HUGE Whedon fan (wait until you hear about the VO cast of our current game), myself and the lead designer are absolute Cameron nuts. There's probably a dozen references to Cameron movies (and the director himself) in the game. When creating the firefighter squad, Vasquez just seemed like such a no-brainer as far as an archetype. Then we decided to take it a step further and name her character Vasquez. Then we hired Jenette Goldstein. Tell you what, sitting in that recording studio with her doing her lines...chills on my arm. I could NOT believe I was working with Vasquez. Total childhood dream come true.

[quote name='dboy81']Fun game- even my kids (3 and 5) enjoy playing it. Definitely worth it at $20.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!

[quote name='Justin42']While it was definitely shameless self promotion ;), the game does seem pretty decent from the reviews, all things considered.. and gotta support a fellow CAG! I just ordered one...

OP-- can you tell us what you did on the game?[/QUOTE]

Hell, if I didn't promote it, I'm not sure anyone else would. Sometimes you gotta scream from the rooftops, you know?

So my role was pretty all over the place. I'm the co-founder of the studio, so I run a lot of the day-to-day stuff here. The original concept of the game was one that I came up with, with help from my girlfriend. Along with my lead designer, I planned out most of the missions and overall game structure, created the characters, designed one level (the Mall). A lot of coordinating...making sure the writers deliver on time, directing the VO sessions, coordinating the music. I am credited as a producer on the game, though the leads did a lot of the daily production-type stuff. Basically, at a studio this small, you gotta wear a lot of hats. Sometimes those hats are fun (working with the VO actors), and sometimes not (taking out the garbage or ordering food).

[quote name='morphineseason']Also, it's cool to see one of the developers posting here. What did you think of the Giant Bomb quick look?[/QUOTE]

It was totally cool to see. I absolutely appreciated that they took the time to check out a pretty unknown game. I thought they had a lot of fun with the game, though I was frustrated watching it that they WOULDN'T PUT THE GUY DOWN AT THE END! I swear I was yelling at the video to PUT THE GUY DOWN AND FIGHT THE FIRE.

But I don't think they heard me.

[quote name='salty tbone']Thanks for the heads up OP. A little self promotion helped me learn more about this hidden gem.

Just out of curiosity I checked gamestop.com and the closest new copy of Real Heroes: Firefighter is 47 miles away and used copy is 60+ miles away, so it's already got the makings of a tough-to-find title.[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for this to drop! I bought Firefighter Comand made by Monte Cristo a few years ago and loved it. Still play it to this day except sometimes it has issues with the resolution. It plays like a RTS and is pretty varied for missions, except that the pathfinding got really frustrating sometimes. I also bought FD18 for PS2 and that's pretty fun also. Can't wait to pick this up. I really wish Monte Cristo would make a firefighter command sequel since the bugs were really quite minor. :lol:

It's still selling for about $95 on Amazon marketplace. :hot:

My brother is great all around artist and he works in a variety of different art forms. He does comic art, 2-D sprites art, sculpt art, portrait art, costume design art and even martial arts. He is even a certified voice actor! He's the "Jack of all trades" when it comes to art. Let him know if you're interested.

http://jaredjlee.deviantart.com/

By the way, I'm buying two copies of this game. Firefighting games aren't made that often, not to mention one that takes advange of the Wii motes. :)

I feel like playing the game now after having a lead developer talking it up =P Cool to see it's doing decently well for you. It's all too easy for a lot of smaller developers to just make abysmal shovelware on the wii and call it a day so someone NOT doing that is always a plus.

Hearing the developer talk about the game has increased my interest a bit. I'd probably go for this at $10 or less, in consideration of current finances + backlog.

I've been wanting to get this game, for $20 I will. Thanks Roland13X for making it. It got a 7 from Gamespot so it gotta be pretty fun. This reminded me a lot of an old Sega Arcade game with a firefighter, you had hoses to play with and the Wiimote should re-create that arcade game feeling pretty well. If you get to make a sequel maybe you could include a firehose attachment ; )

Just ordered my copy with Amazon Prime, love supporting smaller devs especially when they are out on forums trying to drum up interest for it! Appreciate your desire to get the more "hardcore" involved into your game and am looking forward to playing it after reading some of your posts and noticing the passion for your work and the game in your words!

Purchased. (shipped in 2-4 weeks, so hopefully amazon is putting in another order which is good for you guys) Can't really play FPS (get nauseated), but the concept looks interesting and like others stated, always cool to support indie devs, especially when they are actively trying to bring awareness to their labor of love.

and I an listening to your interview with gamecritics.com

edit: and you guys are #77 (3 days in top 100) on amazon top 100, beating SSBB, Dante's Infernal Divine edition (3 days in top 100), Zelda Twilight PRincess wii, Darksider 360 (10 days in too100) and Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers (#92 and 4 days in top 100)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree with the guys who said the title being "Real Heroes: Firefighter" made them think it was shovelware. It immediately made me think of the Go Play: Lumberjacks types of games. As for the argument that "well, if you'd check the reviews, you'd see...", I have to think most of us don't bother checking out reviews for those kinds of games.

Anyway, glad to hear the game's not only decent, but doing well.

Hey Roland13x, Kudos on actually making a game man that's awesome, and despite reviews, I'm still going to buy this game to support you guys. I have one question that I'm guessing you hear from a lot of people, but how did you get started in making a game?(School, software, etc.) Thanks again for all of your replies and congrats once again.

[quote name='Ocajavati']I think I played this in an arcade before...If this is it, 5 star recommended.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I get that question all the time. As good as Sega's Brave Firefighter arcade game was, it was essentially an on-rails lightgun game. We're essentially a FPS, but instead of killing people, you're saving them.

We actually pitched our game years ago to Sega. I was initially a bit surprised and disappointed they weren't interested considering the amount of people who loved that arcade game.

[quote name='benjamouth']Thanks Op, in for one, fancied trying this and it's good to support a fellow CAG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man!!!

[quote name='Admiral Moo']I bought this game when it first came out and have had a blast with it! Thanks for all of the effort in making the game and I hope one day we will see a sequel:)[/QUOTE]

The team loves hearing this kind of stuff. We're very well aware we weren't able to polish the game to a point where we'd really want it (just due to time and resources), and we're very aware that this is not a perfect game, but hearing people say they had fun with your labor of love really does make me happy doing what I do. Thanks!

[quote name='Camwi']Not to turn this thread into a sales argument, but I have to argue that point. While Nintendo games may sell like hotcakes and continue to sell each month, most third party developers have a hard time getting their games to sell on the Wii.

On topic, I'll pick up this game for John Di Maggio alone (the voice of Bender from Futurama for anyone who doesn't know).[/QUOTE]

True and false. But it all depends on expectations. Agreed that 1st party games sell and sell month after month, but then again, most of them have to considering the budget put into them. For something like Firefighter, we'd just need a fraction of those sales to be considered a success. The trick comes with balancing that affordable budget with a workable budget. All too often you see publishers asking "can you make this game for $400k? The answer is yes, but no one is going to want to play the damn thing. The problem then comes when one of those ultra-budget games is a hit (Carnival Games, or Midway's Game Party), then the publishers start feeling that they can lowball, and the dumb consumer won't know the difference.

I always tell people, you just have to vote with your dollars.

And as far as John DiMaggio...this is the 2nd time I've gotten to work with him, and he's probably the most fun actor to work with. Constantly cracking you up with jokes, voices and anecdotes. He is a human Bender more often than not.

[quote name='Josef']Roland, do you know how many copies of this game were printed?[/QUOTE]

Other than "clearly not enough", no idea. The one thing I mentioned before is true though...we are hoping to get a 2nd or 3rd printing done soon once we convince the powers that be that people still want this game.

[quote name='Clarke']I was just asking because I think this would preform well on the PC.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear this thought, as we were considering porting it to PC. We'll see how it goes. During development, most of us are playing it on PC quite often, and it does work really well.

[quote name='v0yce']What I want to know is, why is there a giant cheese puff rolling around in that Amazon video?[/QUOTE]

Have I mentioned how much I hate that damn video? Argh...

Anyway, that's actually the finale to our Museum level. There's a planetarium that catches on fire, and the huge centerpiece sun, still flaming, starts rolling around, knocking down dinosaur exhibits. It's a bit over-the-top, but fun.

Will definitely be ordering from Amazon once I can find another game to push it over the $25 for free shipping.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']Can you give us some kind of hint as to what your studio's current project is lol. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

I really would love to, but we're kind of waiting for one last piece to fall into place before making our announcement. The only thing I can say is the title is "Rock of the Dead" which got released publicly since we were able to trademark it. I still can't believe no one had ever protected that title before.

[quote name='Yankeessuck193']Hey Roland13x, Kudos on actually making a game man that's awesome, and despite reviews, I'm still going to buy this game to support you guys. I have one question that I'm guessing you hear from a lot of people, but how did you get started in making a game?(School, software, etc.) Thanks again for all of your replies and congrats once again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! I got started in a round-about way. Finished school with a structural engineering degree, and worked in that field for a few years. Absolutely hated every day at the job. Then I ended up moving to LA a few blocks from Activision, and I decided to give it a shot as it had always been a passion, just didn't seem very practical. Started out in the QA department (going from $70k+ a year to $9 an hour was...shocking to say the least). Got a few promotions, worked my way up the ladder and into production on some Spider-Man and Dreamworks stuff, then got pulled onto the Activision Call of Duty team. After starting pre-production on CoD3, I got an offer to help start up a developer, and we made the mediocre 300 game for the PSP. My business partner then decided he was tired of Activision and asked me to start up our own studio. And here I am now.

But the QA entry is pretty common with production and design types.

Several developers flock to the Wii because of the reasons you mentioned and most 3rd party games get lost in the void. There are over a dozen Wii games that I really wish were ported to XBLA/360 disc.

My girlfriend's favorite game is MySims Kingdom, but she hates the Wii controls and 480p. She wishes all the time it was for 360 because of the resolution and sturdy controls. She is not asking for higher polygon count or better textures. Just a direct port and it would easily look nice at 720p or higher.

I'd buy this if it was on 360. XBLA is a great development alternative to a disc game.
Now that all the work is done. How much man power would it take to port it? Do you not think that effort would pay off?

[quote name='voidedx']Several developers flock to the Wii because of the reasons you mentioned and most 3rd party games get lost in the void. There are over a dozen Wii games that I really wish were ported to XBLA/360 disc.

My girlfriend's favorite game is MySims Kingdom, but she hates the Wii controls and 480p. She wishes all the time it was for 360 because of the resolution and sturdy controls. She is not asking for higher polygon count or better textures. Just a direct port and it would easily look nice at 720p or higher.

I'd buy this if it was on 360. XBLA is a great development alternative to a disc game.
Now that all the work is done. How much man power would it take to port it? Do you not think that effort would pay off?[/QUOTE]

As a hardcore gamer, I fully agree with what you're saying. I do appreciate the Wii for the games only the Wii could handle well (like Boom Blox), but I'd probably play more Wii games if they were on the 360.

As for porting, we'd be way too large for an XBLA game. It a TON easier to down-port a game than up-port, so to go from Wii to 360 is a very significant jump. In addition, we'd have to add a certain percentage of new content to go along with it. We've budgeted it out, and while it was reasonable, we'd rather make a sequel than rehash the original.

[quote name='roland13x']I really would love to, but we're kind of waiting for one last piece to fall into place before making our announcement. The only thing I can say is the title is "Rock of the Dead" which got released publicly since we were able to trademark it. I still can't believe no one had ever protected that title before.

Thanks man! I got started in a round-about way. Finished school with a structural engineering degree, and worked in that field for a few years. Absolutely hated every day at the job. Then I ended up moving to LA a few blocks from Activision, and I decided to give it a shot as it had always been a passion, just didn't seem very practical. Started out in the QA department (going from $70k+ a year to $9 an hour was...shocking to say the least). Got a few promotions, worked my way up the ladder and into production on some Spider-Man and Dreamworks stuff, then got pulled onto the Activision Call of Duty team. After starting pre-production on CoD3, I got an offer to help start up a developer, and we made the mediocre 300 game for the PSP. My business partner then decided he was tired of Activision and asked me to start up our own studio. And here I am now.

But the QA entry is pretty common with production and design types.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the information man it all seems pretty intense, and IGN's review convinced me to pick up the game.Also the gameplay footage I've seen sold me pretty quickly. Thnaks again man and good luck in the future!:applause:

So your new game is House of the Dead played with a guitar controller? I mean, it worked for Typing of the Dead, so I guess anything's possible.

@roland, I am not sure what happened with Amazon, but they sent me a new email saying that instead of the originally planned 2-4 weeks on shipping, they are able to ship it out in a day or two, and today they shipped it out, I am not sure if it is a case of giving priority to Prime members(which I am) or what, but I thought I would let you know!

Glad to hear it's doing well, can't wait to play it!

Picked it up yesterday from GS. Pretty fun game, and HD graphics would have been nice. The controls are a bit touchy for me, but I don't play many Wii games. Are there settings in the menu to slow down the targeting cursor?

[quote name='boneless']Picked it up yesterday from GS. Pretty fun game, and HD graphics would have been nice. The controls are a bit touchy for me, but I don't play many Wii games. Are there settings in the menu to slow down the targeting cursor?[/QUOTE]

Hey, first of all, thanks for picking up the game! There are a bunch of settings you can change to suit the control scheme you like. You can change the acceleration of the pointer as well as the size of the dead space in the center of the screen.

[quote name='roland13x']Hey, first of all, thanks for picking up the game! There are a bunch of settings you can change to suit the control scheme you like. You can change the acceleration of the pointer as well as the size of the dead space in the center of the screen.[/QUOTE]

heh, you skipping the guitar controller HOTD reply but commenting on the one before it makes me think it's true. Hey man, I'll try it.

did some research on the game but I'm kinda strapped on funds ATM however if it's still on amazon in a couple of weeks I'll definitely pick this up :)

[quote name='Fount']heh, you skipping the guitar controller HOTD reply but commenting on the one before it makes me think it's true. Hey man, I'll try it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I totally didn't even see that post. Easy to skip over the one-liner posts. Anyway, I can't talk about it just yet, so I couldn't deny or acknowledge it. Soon...hopefully we'll be announced before the end of January.

[quote name='roland13x']
Glad to hear this thought, as we were considering porting it to PC. We'll see how it goes. During development, most of us are playing it on PC quite often, and it does work really well.
[/QUOTE]

I'm in for the port! The ex took the Wii, and as much as it's for the kids, I still don't want her to run off and pawn it. :bouncy:

I'm first in the queue on Goozex for this game. I'm just waiting for it to drop to 250 points or less (currently at 350) before I actively request it.

[quote name='roland13x']
And as far as John DiMaggio...this is the 2nd time I've gotten to work with him, and he's probably the most fun actor to work with. Constantly cracking you up with jokes, voices and anecdotes. He is a human Bender more often than not.[/QUOTE]

That is too cool, man.

And as for this being the only message board you regularly go to, might I suggest NeoGAF? That message board has a ton of video game developers that post on it. It has its fair share of self-righteous pricks, but what website doesn't?

Bought 2 on Amazon on the 10th. Just got an email from Amazon indicating that the ship date went down from 2-4 weeks to 5 days! Very pleased!

[quote name='THAGEN']Bought 2 on Amazon on the 10th. Just got an email from Amazon indicating that the ship date went down from 2-4 weeks to 5 days! Very pleased![/QUOTE]

I bought 2 as well! Now it's time to play the waiting game. :)

[Jeopardy game show music starts to play]

Worst game ever....

[quote name='slidecage']anyone remember that firefighting game on the SNES.... be nice if someone would remake that for a handheld[/QUOTE]

Oh the memories. I had forgotten that game.

I'm going to pick this up at some point as it sounds fun, and I'm not a Wii hater at all. FPS with Wii remote sounds like a win, especially since I'll be able to play it with my kids. Actually, I'll probably get this for my 8 year old's 9th, so in a few months. Is there any reason to believe that this is going to go out of print or do you expect there to be copies still available in a few months, meaning at $19.99? If I can hold off for a bit, that would certainly be better.

[quote name='slidecage']anyone remember that firefighting game on the SNES.... be nice if someone would remake that for a handheld[/QUOTE]

The Ignition Factor was the name ,,, just found it on ebay for around 12... too bad dont have room to hook the snes back up

Did you guys get much inspiration from Rosco McQueen: Firefighter Extreme for the PSX? I'm actually curious if you even knew it existed. Did you look at all previous firefighting games before you started brainstorming for yours?

[quote name='roland13x']As a hardcore gamer, I fully agree with what you're saying. I do appreciate the Wii for the games only the Wii could handle well (like Boom Blox), but I'd probably play more Wii games if they were on the 360.

As for porting, we'd be way too large for an XBLA game. It a TON easier to down-port a game than up-port, so to go from Wii to 360 is a very significant jump. In addition, we'd have to add a certain percentage of new content to go along with it. We've budgeted it out, and while it was reasonable, we'd rather make a sequel than rehash the original.[/QUOTE]

Up-porting a game is madness. A japanese company called Irem is finding that out the hard way on their new game "Poncotsu Roman Daikatsugeki Bumpy Trot 2". There hasn't been any news on that game since 2007.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm going to pick this up at some point as it sounds fun, and I'm not a Wii hater at all. FPS with Wii remote sounds like a win, especially since I'll be able to play it with my kids. Actually, I'll probably get this for my 8 year old's 9th, so in a few months. Is there any reason to believe that this is going to go out of print or do you expect there to be copies still available in a few months, meaning at $19.99? If I can hold off for a bit, that would certainly be better.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it will be out of print anytime soon. We never expected the game to sell 100's of thousands of copies right away, but feel that it'll sell a decent amount month-to-month for quite a while.

[quote name='bobphone']Did you guys get much inspiration from Rosco McQueen: Firefighter Extreme for the PSX? I'm actually curious if you even knew it existed. Did you look at all previous firefighting games before you started brainstorming for yours?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we pretty much played every firefighter-themed game we could find, and researched just about every other one we learned ever existed. There's actually an Activision Value first-person firefighter game on the PC that came out in the early 2000's. It was terrible, but we were surprised to find it after we started our game.

We also looked at games that had a robust fire system, namely Alone in the Dark and Far Cry 2. You can learn a lot from how others tackled similar problems....it's like a free iteration on your design!

[quote name='sgr76']Ok i have to ask: Was anyone else turned off by the dragon in the trailer?[/QUOTE]

I hate saying it over and over again, but damn do I hate that piece of crap "trailer" some jerk put together without our input. Bleh.

Anyway, the dragon isn't a "real" dragon, and fits within the story arch of the final mission. Over the top a bit? Sure, but it is a video game!

[quote name='roland13x']I hate saying it over and over again, but damn do I hate that piece of crap "trailer" some jerk put together without our input. Bleh.

Anyway, the dragon isn't a "real" dragon, and fits within the story arch of the final mission. Over the top a bit? Sure, but it is a video game![/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that I almost judged the game based on that video! Reading everyone's comments have definitely got me hyped to play this game. I can't wait to get paid!

bread's done
Back