Firefox 4

ROB64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
http://www.firefox.com/
So this was released today, thoughts?

I like that you can change everything back to what you're used to (tabs below address bar, Alt menu, etc), unlike the 3.5 to 3.6 release (I still hate the awesome bar.)
Overall the design is very sleek, and there are a few noticeable speed improvements (gmail loads almost instantly now, before, I had to wait a few seconds.)

I've not used firefox since I gave google chrome a go, but this has me interested. The "sleek" design reminds me a ton of chrome. And if the speed improvements are substantial (main reason i switched to chrome), I might end up using it. Used firefox for years prior to chrome.

As much as I really like the new design, a couple things bother me.

-I hate how there's content on the same level as the window buttons (min/max/window/X) regardless of tab layout. That's just terrible design. Since tabs are on top by default, it took me a while to find the tab groups button because it's not supposed to be way up there, plus it blends in a bit too much.

-Apparently F6 means focusing the topmost element, not the address bar. This means that if tabs are on top, pressing F6 will focus on the tab. (I know Ctrl+L will do this, but isn't F6 an implied standard or something?)

For those of you who have edited userchrome.css, your layout might be messed up. Just rename/delete the file and it should be fixed.

[quote name='ROB64']I like that you can change everything back to what you're used to (tabs below address bar, Alt menu, etc), unlike the 3.5 to 3.6 release (I still hate the awesome bar.) [/QUOTE]
You could always change awesome bar functionality in the about:config settings.

Now I don't find it as unappealing to use after using Chrome in case I need to run it because some website or plugin is crapping out on me.

I'll still use Chrome though.

[quote name='SEH']Does Firefox still have that ridiculous memory leak? If so, I'll stick with Chrome.[/QUOTE]

It seems as though they've fixed many memory problems.

My favorite feature is the "app" tabs. I keep a few tabs open all day and they load instantly, which is nice. Tab groups are nice as well.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade personally.

[quote name='mtxbass1']My favorite feature is the "app" tabs. I keep a few tabs open all day and they load instantly, which is nice. Tab groups are nice as well.[/QUOTE]

They need to add a couple options for the App Tab. One is to customize the picture on the tab and second is the ability to set each one to open a specific page. Also maybe not have them all load when you open the browser but have it load to that designated page the first time time you click on it that session. Kindof like pin to task bar in Windows 7.

And of course I have some java issues with a couple of sites I use through work. That and I'd like a non-addon download status somewhere in the browser window without having to open up downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Firvagor']You could always change awesome bar functionality in the about:config settings.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't work like I want it to. I just use the oldbar addon and it makes it look cleaner (I like the functionality, I just don't like the two lines of text per entry.)

[quote name='Draekon']That and I'd like a non-addon download status somewhere in the browser window without having to open up downloads.[/QUOTE]
If you ever change your mind, Download Statusbar is a great substitute.

They "fixed" (more like hid) the mem suck... instead what happens is it doesn't show the tab you're on when you close a tab... So it's still a fail, but it's still the best out right now.

Christ how do I turn off the fucking link preview popups in the bottom of the window? Shit is annoying beyond belief on a website with a dark background (such as this one).

I just put this thing on my projecter and it looks beautiful...

Does it still get sluggish/unresponsive at random times when you have a lot of tabs open for most the day? I finally got fed up with it a week ago and gave Chrome another go since I did like it when it was first released.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Does it still get sluggish/unresponsive at random times when you have a lot of tabs open for most the day? I finally got fed up with it a week ago and gave Chrome another go since I did like it when it was first released.[/QUOTE]

I personally use IE, Chrome and Firefox in this way:

IE for all Browser Based Games.

Chrome for business related research and professional work - It's works much faster with google docs and other programs (HTML based web conferencing...etc) with such ease that it puts the other browsers to shame.

Firefox for fun - Finding games, posting on forums (many of the add-ons make it easier and faster to post) and reading online comics.

The only browser I have ever experiences slow downs with is IE when I make the mistake of checking my email on it from time to time.

[quote name='VipFREAK']They "fixed" (more like hid) the mem suck... instead what happens is it doesn't show the tab you're on when you close a tab... So it's still a fail, but it's still the best out right now.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I'll stick with Chrome. Much faster/smoother browser IMO.

[quote name='Survivalism']My favorite part about Firefox is that it finally caused me to switch permanently to Opera.[/QUOTE]

I just switched over to this, it's pretty bare. I love the smooth scrolling though, something FF has been failing at too... It kinda seems like a clone of FF4 than Opera. I don't remember Opera being decent.

Edit: Looks like Opera suffers from being a mem hog too... Not that I'm going to stop using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Firvagor']If you ever change your mind, Download Statusbar is a great substitute.[/QUOTE]

I've already got one downloaded as an addon. I just wish there was something small and unobtrusive.

I stopped using Firefox for Chrome but I found my Chrome was experiencing caching issues so I gave the new Firefox a shot and it's freaking beautiful.

[quote name='Strell']Christ how do I turn off the fucking link preview popups in the bottom of the window? [/QUOTE]
Status-4-Evar re-adds a proper status bar and allows for customization.

[quote name='Draekon']I've already got one downloaded as an addon. I just wish there was something small and unobtrusive.[/QUOTE]
What do you consider unobtrusive then? Is an additional status bar (that the addon provides) too much?

[quote name='Firvagor']What do you consider unobtrusive then? Is an additional status bar (that the addon provides) too much?[/QUOTE]

Just a small window giving me the amount of time left on all my downloads. Much like how it shows a small bar at the bottom when the past is loading and when you mouse over it, the bar moves to the left side. Then it disappears when it's downloaded. The download addon just doesn't really fit with the new look in my opinion, which is why I call it intrusive.

My favorite thing is the App Tabs. It's wonderful to have a small facebook and cag tab open and then this way it saves more room for when I get a bunch of tabs.

I also like how I can switch back to the classic layout. I hate the simplistic chrome style layout (which is why I never used chrome).

[quote name='Firvagor']Status-4-Evar re-adds a proper status bar and allows for customization.[/QUOTE]

I don't want or need the status bar, because I honestly don't have much reason to keep it open. But I don't want popup link previews as a replacement if I turn it off. I want the whole thing gone if I can help it because none of that information ends up being useful.

Upon further reading, I noticed that the addon also allows you to remove status notifications completely, or put them in the address or addon bar.

Alternatively, there's a Stylish script that will simply remove it.

Is anyone else experience massive slowdown with Firefox 4? I have never had a problem with Firefox, but ever since the new update, the browser loads extremely slow. Sometimes it'll take a full minute to load a page. This is extremely annoying. Yes, I've cleared my cache, done virus scans, etc so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

[quote name='Blackout']Is anyone else experience massive slowdown with Firefox 4? I have never had a problem with Firefox, but ever since the new update, the browser loads extremely slow. Sometimes it'll take a full minute to load a page. This is extremely annoying. Yes, I've cleared my cache, done virus scans, etc so I don't think it has anything to do with that.[/QUOTE]
Try deleting your profile, creating a new one.

Based only on sites I use a lot (e.g. gmail), I see slightly quicker performance over Firefox 3, gmail definitely loads a step faster now.

I occasionally use Chrome for gmail only, and whereas Chrome was clearly faster than F3, it seems like F4 is just as quick as Chrome, maybe even quicker (close enough, at least, that it's hard to call by feel).

So long as Chrome doesn't have a full noscript equivalent, I'll stick with Firefox, and I'm happy with F4 thus far. I'm getting the stuff I like from Firefox (noscript) and the stuff I like from Chrome (content-first philosophy: status bar gone, just enough space up top for tabs/URL).

After trying it for a few days, I think I'll go back to the older version. Much like Blackout, I had problems with slowdown. Some sites like youtube would load faster, while others would cause it to load slowly for no reason. It's a nice design, but it just has too many bugs for me to stick with it for now.

I've also noticed that it's even bigger resource hog than the previous versions were.

I downloaded it yesterday and at first hated it but I found that it was because the theme I had been using wasn't compatible. When I switched to the default theme, everything was much better. I really like it.

bread's done
Back