FireFox Help.

Steve Dave

CAGiversary!
Not sure why but when I started up firefox this time it asked me to select a user. I choose the default but it said it was in use and I couldn't go any farther so I made a new one and now all of my favorites are gone.

How can I get back the setup of firefox that I was using?

Thanks.

[quote name='Steve Dave']Did the crtl-atl-del and firefox wasn't in my applications list.[/QUOTE]

Might I make sure that you be positive about it? usually when this problem happens, Firefox is the largest application running so just pressing the Mem Usage button pops it up for me. If that still doesn't work, restart.

hit clt alt delete then go to processes, find firefox, then end process. Mine used to do this a lot took me forever to find this.

It also happens when firefox barfs all over the floor, leaving a lock on the user file. I can't remember exactly where this lock is placed, but if you remove it, things will work correctly again.

If you get this message, it's a clear sign that your profile has been locked, and that, subsequently, it wasn't unlocked properly. Firefox locks your active profile whenever it runs, in order to prevent other applications altering it. This is intended to stop other applications from altering the profile; however, living, breathing people always seem to find a way to do so! If this happens, you're left with an unwanted lock that must be cleaned up by hand, using the following steps:

Kill any Firefox processes that are running, using the tip provided above. Mac OS X users should open Force Quit Application using Command Option-Esc, select Firefox, and click the Force Quit button. Linux users should kill the Firefox process by locating its process ID, and sending it a signal. This command should do it: pkill firefox.

2. Delete the lock file named "parent.lock" in Windows, ".parentlock" on Mac OS X, or "lock" in your Firefox profile directory if you're running Linux.

Firefox keeps a lock file in your profile directory whenever it acquires a lock on that directory. Sometimes, when Firefox is not shut down properly, the lock file is left in place, causing Firefox to think the profile is locked. Deleting the lock file solves the problem. Once that's done, Firefox should start normally.

bread's done
Back