FireFox Or I.E

Well then there should be a poll for this thread, but FF of course. I saw IE 7 at CES and have tested the beta out a bit, and it basically copies all of FF's/Opera's features that they have had for years.

I've used Internet Explorer years up until about 1.5 years ago, when I finally got fed up with pop-ups and Google's toolbar wasn't correcting the problem. However, Firefox's built in pop-up blocker can be similarily inept.

What kept me coming to firefox were two extensions and tabbing. Adblock and bugmenot. However, bugmenot is currently experiencing problems (or so it seems, since it just doesn't work). So, the only reasons I use firefox is for tabbed block and Adblock.

FIrefox 1.5 feels like a big step backwards, by being much slower and having little things all over the place that bother me. For instance, on CAG, I can't click anywhere on a text box to produce a cursor, but rather on the first line. Needless to say that REALLY bothers me. So, if Firefox 1.5 and on doesn't quite have the same functionality as Firefox 1.0.7, I may take another gander at IE when 7 is released.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I've used Internet Explorer years up until about 1.5 years ago, when I finally got fed up with pop-ups and Google's toolbar wasn't correcting the problem. However, Firefox's built in pop-up blocker can be similarily inept.

What kept me coming to firefox were two extensions and tabbing. Adblock and bugmenot. However, bugmenot is currently experiencing problems (or so it seems, since it just doesn't work). So, the only reasons I use firefox is for tabbed block and Adblock.

FIrefox 1.5 feels like a big step backwards, by being much slower and having little things all over the place that bother me. For instance, on CAG, I can't click anywhere on a text box to produce a cursor, but rather on the first line. Needless to say that REALLY bothers me. So, if Firefox 1.5 and on doesn't quite have the same functionality as Firefox 1.0.7, I may take another gander at IE when 7 is released.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must really kiss up to IE/Microsoft products. I have never had that problem in FF 1.5 and haven't noticed any slow down compared to the earlier versions, rather actually I've noticed it feel a bit faster (especially when I went from FF to Opera to FF 1.07 to FF 1.5).

[quote name='Murcielago77']IE... for the sites that firefox doesnt work with[/QUOTE]

FF works with those as well. It's through one of the extensions, would have to look it up since I haven't had that issue in forever.

[quote name='Fire']Well then there should be a poll for this thread, but FF of course. I saw IE 7 at CES and have tested the beta out a bit, and it basically copies all of FF's/Opera's features that they have had for years.[/QUOTE]
I didn't want for this to be a poll. I just wanted to get evrbody thoughts on this. Also, did they show the same trailer of MGS4 from tgs in ces.:roll::lol:

[quote name='capitalist_mao']FIrefox 1.5 feels like a big step backwards, by being much slower and having little things all over the place that bother me. For instance, on CAG, I can't click anywhere on a text box to produce a cursor, but rather on the first line. Needless to say that REALLY bothers me. So, if Firefox 1.5 and on doesn't quite have the same functionality as Firefox 1.0.7, I may take another gander at IE when 7 is released.[/QUOTE]
I've never had this problem nor have I heard anyone else have it (though it wouldn't surprise me). You may want to reinstall 1.5 with a new profile.

Anyway, Moxio basically summed it up. Any standards-compliant browser bests IE in spades. Their features and extensions that blow IE out of the water are just extra benefits. IE7 is still going to be a POS, but thankfully a POS that understands standards a bit better than previous versions.

People don't seem to understand that it's not Firefox that doesn't work with certain sites, it's that those sites code only for IE and thus use bad and improper code. However, I honestly haven't come across more than a few sites that are "broken" in Firefox. One was a government site (http://www.duvalclerk.com), of all things, with a flash video that talked about 'accessibility' and 'equal access to information'--I filed a bug report and now the site stopped using bloody VBScript for hyperlinks. They even now profess to validate against standards, even if they don't validate. Let the sites know that their site uses invalid code and they should fix their sites to work in Firefox/other standards-compliant browsers.

[quote name='P0ldy']I've never had this problem nor have I heard anyone else have it (though it wouldn't surprise me). You may want to reinstall 1.5 with a new profile.[/QUOTE]
The same problem was on both my computer and my friend's computer. I like being able to click in the middle of a text box or at the bottom.

Works fine for me. I've been using 1.5 since early October when beta1 was released. I clicked at the bottom of quick reply textarea to write this post. Check mozillazine.org.

I tried Firefox and its slower and Im not used to it. Tabbing does me no good so I definitely didn't consider it. IE6 has gotten much better about pop-ups since SP2 came out. I get absolutely no pop-ups with the exception of one per month. I don't even have google toolbar. Its also faster. While I understand how people can prefer FF over IE, I can't fathom how people can say its the worst.

[quote name='greenbags125'] Its also faster. While I understand how people can prefer FF over IE, I can't fathom how people can say its the worst.[/QUOTE]
It's faster because it's so tied into the operating system that Windows loads dlls that IE uses at boot. Firefox loads its own libs when it's called.

People say it's the worst for many reasons: security (Secunia), usability, and its non-existant standards support. Standards are important to everyone: they make browsing sites more enjoyable and make webdevs lives much easier. Unfortunately, to code anything relatively "advanced" you have to dumb it down for IE.

[quote name='P0ldy']It's faster because it's so tied into the operating system that Windows loads dlls that IE uses at boot. Firefox loads its own libs when it's called.

People say it's the worst for many reasons: security (Secunia), usability, and its non-existant standards support. Standards are important to everyone: they make browsing sites more enjoyable and make webdevs lives much easier. Unfortunately, to code anything relatively "advanced" you have to dumb it down for IE.[/QUOTE]

In that case, if all webpages have been dumbed down for IE, does it really matter which browser works better? While M$ owns both Windows and IE, the integration is what draws me to their browser. Also, the familiarity of IE is also a big plus. Ive used Netscape at first but quickly switched to IE.

While Im with all of you on making a more advanced browser, there is no way IE will be gone this gen of browsers. IE7 might be much better.

[quote name='greenbags125']In that case, if all webpages have been dumbed down for IE, does it really matter which browser works better?[/quote]
That's not the case. First, most pages don't even code to standards, but code to IE and produce bad, incorrect code. Pages that code to standards backport code to IE either through hacks or not giving IE that code. Therefore, FF/Opera/etc. will get a more advanced version of the page, and IE will get what it understands.

While Im with all of you on making a more advanced browser, there is no way IE will be gone this gen of browsers. IE7 might be much better.
IE7 fixes a handful of things for webdevs, but still leaves out a lot--and it's no telling what things they're going to get wrong again. Feature-wise, it just pulls whatever it can from the better browsers.

I'd like to know which standards IE breaks. When I've made HTML files before, there have not been many (if any) differences between them all.

[quote name='P0ldy']
Feature-wise, it just pulls whatever it can from the better browsers.[/QUOTE]

This is true of any product. You always learn from the best. If something works, competitors will include it. There is nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I'd like to know which standards IE breaks. When I've made HTML files before, there have not been many (if any) differences between them all.[/QUOTE]
Help yourself.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/ie-primer.html
http://nanobox.chipx86.com/browser_support.php
http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/intro/
http://archive.webstandards.org/css/winie/
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html (see Internet Explorer for x86)
http://www.quirksmode.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...riticisms_regarding_support_of_open_standards

The reason your HTML renders practically the same in most browsers (if your markup is even valid to begin with) is probably because you aren't using a doctype, and thus triggering Quirks Mode (i.e., non-standards mode) in all browsers.

36 posts and I was the first vote?

I like Firefox on my PCs, but my primary browser is Safari. In general, it's a worse package experience than Firefox, but, for the Mac, it runs better.

[quote name='alongx']36 posts and I was the first vote?

I like Firefox on my PCs, but my primary browser is Safari. In general, it's a worse package experience than Firefox, but, for the Mac, it runs better.[/QUOTE]

read the post above you.

Firefox for 99% of my personal browsing.
Negatives: my FF install at work sometimes when I open a PDF in it. I can dl them find, and my home install does that fine. It also doesn't like some Java apps, but i think Java is an overused pain in the ass anyway. We have a few corporate websites on which the webmasters have made no attempt to think of non-IE browsers, so I have to use IE for them [they'rehorrendous websites too.] And it is a little more memory intensive.
But tabbed browsing and the plugins outweight those things for me.

The free version of Opera is adware. I don't necessarily mind ad-supported software [not spyware], if it gets me the software for free, but I just never liked Opera that much the three times I've used. I don't have anything against adware, as long as it's not intrusive or privacy-invading [which Opera isn't, afaik.]

Oh and Opera is now completely free with their current version. No Google ads or anything else. They currently make their money between deals with Google for the search bar thats intergrated and their mobile versions.

My IE using brother's browser got hijacked. I have been trying to fix it unsuccessfully,so far. But I keep telling him to just use Firefox. He doesn't seem to like the idea too much. I thought all you FF lovers were crazy before I started using it, too, but now when I see people load pages in IE, I just shake my head. Looking at IE on my screen is like looking at an ex-girlfriend who is looking up sadly at my bedroom window. Go away, foul wench!

bread's done
Back