Firmware 2.00 part of tomorrow's update? - OUT NOW

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=699

Following is the official press release from Sony on Firmware Update 2.00 (available for download 8 November). On top of the ability to turn the PlayStation 3 on remotely via the PSP, Version 2.00 also allows the creation of playlists in both the music and photo sections, giving users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists, as well as sharing favourite photos in high definition.

Version 2.00 also allows for customisation of the XMB menu screen, with the ability to change the colour and brightness or to set a completely different custom theme. Moreover, there’s the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep users up to date on the latest PlayStation news, the inclusion of a new PlayStation Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system.
Official press release follows.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/
Latest PLAYSTATION®3 System Software Update Allows PSPTM to Turn PS3TM On and Off from Internet Connection for Enhanced Remote Play
Ability to customise XMB™ and add personalised playlists for both music and photos also enabled

London, 8 November 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today the availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system software. Version 2.00 features the ability to turn a PS3 system on and off remotely, using a PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system via the Remote Play1 function, allowing for a truly mobile partnership between the two systems.

Building on the success and potential of the Remote Play functionality, Version 2.00 will cement the partnership between PS3 and PSP and create a truly global experience. With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

To further enhance the PS3 offering, Version 2.00 allows for the creation of personalised playlists in both the music and photo sections. This simple to use function gives users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists for all occasions, as well as sharing favourite photos in glorious high definition.

Continuing with the idea of a personalised PS3, Version 2.00 allows for customisation of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) menu screen. Change the colour and brightness with the greatest of ease or have something completely different by setting a custom theme. With the potential for new backgrounds to become available on PLAYSTATION®Network in the future, Version 2.00 truly opens up a whole raft of options.

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation® news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.
This is just Europe at the moment, but I'd guess that the US will get it the same day.

If you expected the PS3 to change into a completely different machine with 2.00, you're out of luck, but there's some nice stuff if you didn't.

I didn't expect the ability to turn the PS3 on with a PSP so soon after TGS. The font color thing was definitely necessary with the wallpaper stuff so that I can use more than just dark wallpaper.

I posted about it in the Firmware thread here. Like I said before, this is just a 0.06 increment on update, so it doesn't mean the PS3 console is going to see a 100% overhaul.

I guess Home will be part of FW 3.0 or some other 2.x update, as it was rumored back in the day to be the main thing in FW 2.0.

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess Home will be part of FW 3.0 or some other 2.x update, as it was rumored back in the day to be the main thing in FW 2.0.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it got delayed until next year, correct? I'm assuming it will be another major FW update. I wish they would roll it out sooner and then just provide updates over time.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, it got delayed until next year, correct? I'm assuming it will be another major FW update. I wish they would roll it out sooner and then just provide updates over time.[/quote]I think the beta's running until 1Q 2008, and then maybe in 2Q 2008, Home will be out.

I'm sure that'll make it FW 3.0 for that alone, when it release.

so does remote on/off do anything besides just turning it on.....? what can you do once its on...

it would be some awesome if we could connect (a la remote desktop) and actually do things...

[quote name='cheezhead430']in-game music/xmb
DO IT
till then, who really cares, x360's dashboard will have us owned[/QUOTE]Like I said before, PS3 can't do it until RAM issues are solved (or if they are ever solved). No way around it.

[quote name='guyver2077']so does remote on/off do anything besides just turning it on.....? what can you do once its on...

it would be some awesome if we could connect (a la remote desktop) and actually do things...[/QUOTE]

you could play Lair... if its in the system... search the PSN store, download stuff to the PS3; might be nice to be able to play some PS3 games away from home via psp... Since there's no PSP Lego Star Wars complete saga, I wonder if you could play it via PSP.

Can the playlist feature play streaming playlist? Such as online radio station (thinking of KEXP). If so, I'm beyond pleased.

I got it.. adds some cool new things.

The whole you dont have to connect the usb cord anymore to the ps3 is a definite plus.. finding that stupid 1foot cable was such a pain in the ass..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']The whole you dont have to connect the usb cord anymore to the ps3 is a definite plus.. finding that stupid 1foot cable was such a pain in the ass..[/quote]They added that a long time ago, by the way.

[quote name='Furashu']we want INGAME XMB what happened to sony listening to us!?[/quote]
When did Sony ever say that was a part of the 2.00 firmware?

Nice, propaganda straight from Sony with an RSS feed going across the top of my dashboard. Just what I need. What I want are not stupid minor updates, but actual real and serious updates to flaws in the system. No INGAME XMB is the worst thing ever. It's enough of a pain in the ass to add anyone to your friends list. The PSP trick is nice (I haven't tested it out yet), but when you have such apparent flaws like that, well the system can't really progress.

[quote name='Furashu']we want INGAME XMB what happened to sony listening to us!?[/quote]

Agreed. Right now I only use the system for Tekken 5 DR and for folding at home.

[quote name='mykevermin']Remote downloading of Fred Claus trailers ahoy![/QUOTE]

HELL YEAH~! I'm fucking psyched! Screw 360 and it's upcoming XBLA.

TURNING THE SYSTEM OFF WITH YOUR [UN-MODIFIED] PSP >>> 360

[quote name='mykevermin']Ingame XMB will be the death of Home.

IOW, I can't wait for it to show up.[/quote] No, the death of home will be 15gb you need download.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How so?[/QUOTE]

Home is sluggish and boring as all hell. The zones are sparsely interactive, and then, not fun at all. Bowling, billiards, and the "arcade" games are bested by some of the most pitiful attempts at flash gaming on the internet, and the only incentive of Home is game invites, as far as I'm concerned.

Home is overhyped garbage, IMO. I'm getting a "SIMS Online" vibe from the whole bloody affair. I could check it out again, I suppose, and see if they've added anything new in the past couple of months...but there's nothing to it. It's a fancy shell to allow for things that other people on your friend list should be able to see or do already in the XMB.

Edit: It's a couple hundred MB to download at the moment, FWIW.

[quote name='mykevermin']Home is sluggish and boring as all hell. The zones are sparsely interactive, and then, not fun at all. Bowling, billiards, and the "arcade" games are bested by some of the most pitiful attempts at flash gaming on the internet, and the only incentive of Home is game invites, as far as I'm concerned.

Home is overhyped garbage, IMO. I'm getting a "SIMS Online" vibe from the whole bloody affair. I could check it out again, I suppose, and see if they've added anything new in the past couple of months...but there's nothing to it. It's a fancy shell to allow for things that other people on your friend list should be able to see or do already in the XMB.

Edit: It's a couple hundred MB to download at the moment, FWIW.[/quote]
Whether Home was/is any good wasn't the question, just how does in-game XMB mark the death of Home? I don't see how the two are the same thing. Home's basically a virtual interpretation of the XMB with a bigger focus on community while in-game XMB is having access to the XMB during games. The lobby stuff for Home's the most useful part for gamers whenever they can put it in Home. Why can't the two co-exist?

[quote name='mykevermin']Home is sluggish and boring as all hell. The zones are sparsely interactive, and then, not fun at all. Bowling, billiards, and the "arcade" games are bested by some of the most pitiful attempts at flash gaming on the internet, and the only incentive of Home is game invites, as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: It's a couple hundred MB to download at the moment, FWIW.[/QUOTE]Home is still very unfinished. Those who have been beta testing HOME are stuck with something very limited right now. That's why HOME has been delayed to make it better.

I'll just say, true in-game XMB will not come for a VERY long time. There will be access to certain XMB features down the road, but it won't come for a long time due to memory issues (The PS3 just can't run it at the moment with the amount of memory reserved for OS, because the XMB is already takes a huge chunk of the PS3 OS).

From what I believe, one reason Sony is making HOME because it is a way around the PS3 memory issues.

Kaz Hirai Not Satisfied with PlayStation Home:
Speaking to Weekly Famitsu in Japan (as reported by 1UP), Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO, Kaz Hirai, talked about a number of topics related to Sony's PlayStation business.

Regarding Sony's Home virtual world service for the PlayStation 3, which was officially delayed to Spring 2008 (the service remains in beta), Hirai noted that he's actually not very happy with its current state and he wants to make sure Home makes a big impact when it finally does make its debut.

"...we believe the delay would have a positive effect. I personally am not satisfied with the current version of Home," he said. "This is a very big project for the PS3 and we want to make sure that we deliver to our hearts content. We hope everyone will look forward to its spring release next year."
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...tation-home/18456?&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000007

There are a few stealth updates...

- Video streaming while downloading videos from PS store
- You can add album names to items, then sort by album
- It seems updates now have 360 ability to just add new stuff instead of downloading the entire thing.

There are more, but I forget what they are.

Ok, I give, how do you turn the system on with remote play?
Wait, I see that PSP had a firmware update too. Perhaps I'll try that first?

Hmm, I'm getting an error saying that its timing out attempting to connect. What the dealy-o?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, I give, how do you turn the system on with remote play?
Wait, I see that PSP had a firmware update too. Perhaps I'll try that first?

Hmm, I'm getting an error saying that its timing out attempting to connect. What the dealy-o?[/QUOTE]I got the error message too, but my PS3 still turned off. I had to connect through the internet to turn my PS3 off..

[quote name='guyver2077']has anyone gotten remote play to work on a modified firmware...[/quote]

It looks to me like the PS3 is now checking the firmware version on the PSP to allow them to connect. My guess is that the PS3 now checks to see that the PSP has at least version 3.72.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Home is still very unfinished. Those who have been beta testing HOME are stuck with something very limited right now. That's why HOME has been delayed to make it better.

I'll just say, true in-game XMB will not come for a VERY long time. There will be access to certain XMB features down the road, but it won't come for a long time due to memory issues (The PS3 just can't run it at the moment with the amount of memory reserved for OS, because the XMB is already takes a huge chunk of the PS3 OS).

From what I believe, one reason Sony is making HOME because it is a way around the PS3 memory issues.

Kaz Hirai Not Satisfied with PlayStation Home:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/kaz-hirai-not-satisfied-with-playstation-home/18456?&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000007[/quote]\

I'm still excited about Home. I think its a cool place to go between games with your friends, and its a great meeting point. It gives people to do so they dont have to be in a game (so they'll acctually meet up...) and is a great way to organise things.

I think I might get Rockband for PS3 just for the Home feature. It would be cool to get your band together in your own apartment and watch videos on Rockband or listen to the rockband music in there and when your all ready to play you just load to Rockband.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I got the error message too, but my PS3 still turned off. I had to connect through the internet to turn my PS3 off..[/quote]

I signed on through the internet too and can't get my PS3 to turn on with remote play. Has anybody gotten this to work yet?

CRAP. I downloaded the 2.0 firmware update and now my PS3 doesn't work! It is able to turn on and load up, but as soon as I hit any option in the XMB (starting a game, demo, changing a setting, browser, etc.) my PS3 just freezes on me. I'm pissed because I only got it a little over the month ago from the Amazon sale. What do I do now, call Sony?

Call Sony I guess.

Maybe there's someway you can restore it without going through XMB since it freezes on you.

Why is everyone's PS3 dying right around the release of the Uncharted demo?

My brother is having trouble connecting to the store to download the update. The DNS fails everytime he tries to log on, it is just a ps3 problem I've found, my DS and PSP works fine on Wi-Fi. So he went to the Sony website and tried to download it there but the webpage keeps timing out. Does anyone know of a place other than the Sony store to download this damn update?

[quote name='cgarb84']My brother is having trouble connecting to the store to download the update. The DNS fails everytime he tries to log on, it is just a ps3 problem I've found, my DS and PSP works fine on Wi-Fi. So he went to the Sony website and tried to download it there but the webpage keeps timing out. Does anyone know of a place other than the Sony store to download this damn update?[/quote]

Direct link to the update file from sony.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Direct link to the update file from sony.[/quote]
WTF that isn't working for us either. This is really strange. I really have no idea what's going on, its really strange.
It just says the server is down. Can anyone else download this ok? If the server really is down then I guess we will just have to play the waiting game for awhile.

[quote name='cgarb84']WTF that isn't working for us either. This is really strange. I really have no idea what's going on, its really strange.
It just says the server is down. Can anyone else download this ok? If the server really is down then I guess we will just have to play the waiting game for awhile.[/quote]

I re-uploaded it, try this link.

Well holy shit the new link is working, thanks a lot for the help. I know my bro is looking forward to trying out the Uncharted demo.

bread's done
Back