First CAG Super Street Fighter II Turbo HDR Tournament

wjhard63

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Congratulations, Jek Porkins! You're the first CAG SSF2THDR champ!

The results are in – the 1v1 matches won out in the voting so the tournament will be a series of progressive, single elimination matches.

Here are the rules:

Gameplay: Remixed Mode
Timer: Normal
Rounds to Win: 2
Game Speed: 3
Classic Akuma: Disabled
Handicap: Disabled
# Private Slots: 1
# Players: 2

Please note that these are the default player match settings and are different from the ranked default settings.

Players are required to PM their competitor for their upcoming match ahead of time to schedule a time for the match that both parties agree on. Players will play the best of 3 matches, where the winner must receive two winning rounds on each match and win two matches out of three to progress in the tournament.

In order for me to record the results for this tournament, I’m asking that the winners report the results for each match (all 3) on this thread:

Winning CAG Name -Winning Character Used/Rounds won – Rounds won/Losing Character Used – Losing CAG Name.

In order to move this tournament along, CAG’s will have 7 days to schedule and complete their matches for each round of the tournament. Since we have 24 CAG’s participating in the tournament, we’ll have 3 groups of 8 CAG’s completing for a ‘regional’ champion. Once each regional champion is determined, each champion will have a championship round consisting of 3 matches against the other 2 regional champions. Whichever CAG accumulates two won matches, wins the tournament outright. Should all three regional champions win a championship match, one regional champion will create a player match with 2 private slots and 3 players and the first regional champion to attain two wins first, wins the tournament.

Round 1:
Here are the match-ups for the first round of the tournament:

Region 1

wjhard63 v mike.m: Results mike.m Wins, wjhard63 Loses. mike.m will face the notorious_pip next week.

garret_in_the_hat v notorious pip: Results notorious_pip Wins, garret_in_the-hat Loses. mike.m will face the notorious_pip next week.

CouRageouS v lilboo: Forfeited. Both contestants were no shows.

hufferstl v Pure Apathy: Results Pure Apathy Wins, hufferstl Loses. Pure Apathy will face the winner of the CouRageouS/lilboo match.

Region 2

PhrostByte v Lord_Kefka: Results PhrostByte Wins, Lord_Kefka Loses. PhrostByte will face Mr. Anderson in the next match.

depascal22 v Mr. Anderson: Results Mr. Anderson Wins, depascal22 Loses. Mr. Anderson will face PhrostByte in the next match.

Jek Porkins v SAB-CA: Results Jek Porkins Wins, SAB-CA Loses. Jek will face the winner of the eliter1/BustaUppa match.

eliter1 v BustaUppa: Forfeited. Both contestants were no shows.

Region 3

ninjaspeedrazor v Matt Young: Results ninjaspeedrazor Wins, Matt Young Loses. ninjaspeedrazor will face the winner of the blackflag match.

Azumangaman v blackflag: Results blackflag Wins, Azumangman Loses. blackflag will face the ninjaspeedrazor in the next match.

fart_bubble v woodcan: Results fart_bubble Wins, woodcan Loses. fart_bubble will face D4rkewolfe in the next match.

Chase v D4rkewolfe: Results D4rkewolfe Wins, Chase Loses. D4rkewolfe will face the fart_bubble in the next match.

Round 2:
Here are the match-ups for the first round of the tournament:

Region 1

mike.m v notorious pip: Results notorious pip Wins, mike.m Loses. notorious pip will face Pure Apathy in the next match.

Pure Apathy: gets bye this round. Will face notorious_pip in the next match.

Region 2

PhrostByte v Mr. Anderson: Results PhrostByte Wins, Mr. Anderson Loses. PhrostByte will face Mr. Anderson in the next match.

Jek Porkins: gets bye this round. Jek Porkins will face PhrostByte in the next round.

Region 3

ninjaspeedrazor v blackflag: Results blackflag Wins, ninjaspeedrazor Loses. blackflag will face the winner of the fart_bubble/D4rkewolfe match.

fart_bubble v D4rkewolfe: Results fart_bubble Wins, D4rkewolfe Loses. blackflag will face fart_bubble in the next match.

Round 3 (Regional Championships):
Here are the match-ups for the third round of the tournament:

Region 1 Championship

Pure Apathy v notorious_pip: Results Pure Apathy defeats notorious_pip. Pure Apathy is the Region 1 Champion, unless notorious_pip contests it.

Region 2 Championship

Jek Porkins v PhrostByte: Results Jek Porkins defeats PhrostByte. Jek Porkins is the Region 2 Champion.

Region 3 Championship

blackflag v face fart_bubble: Results blackflag defeats fart_bubble. blackflag is the Region 3 Champion.

Finals time is over! Jek is the winner!

Here's the results (best 2 out of 3 matches):

Jek Porkins d blackflag
Jek Porkins d Pure Apathy
If I’ve left anything out or anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Thanks to all the CAG's who participated and made this first tournament a success!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 3rd Strike tournament last year, I didn't use a bracket. I made one on paper but just posted the matchups for each round. It's less of a headache that way.

I just started a new job yesterday as a fire technician, so my hours are mixed up as hell at the moment. I'm almost positive I'm free on weekends though.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']there is a tournament being setup in the fighting thread is this the same one?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it is. I set this up after seeing a few requests for a tournament on the 360 SSF2THDR thread, so I decided to head this effort up. If the consensus is to merge this tourney with that one, I have no objections to that what-so-ever.

Right now, it sounds like 11 p.m. EST on Saturday might be a good time. I'll see if there are more replies for different times in the next few days, but this Saturday, Dec. 6th at 11 sounds like a good possibility.

Pomg Hd Remixxxxx. Anything after 10:30PM EST works for me! I'd rather go with the tournament route!

EDIT: Shit! I thought MarkMan said we're playing on Friday... I have to work Sunday and Saturday night. :(

I'm down for this. I'm not that good but I'm addicted to it.

add me for random games too if you want

xbl = bl4ckfl4g

I'd prefer 1-on-1 matchups, simply because I'm not sure I'd be able to make it home from work in time to make the 11 PM Eastern time frame. 11 PM MTN time I can do, so if I can't be worked in, I'll just sit this one out.

Looks like the 1v1 series of matches is winning out. I'll close voting tomorrow night at midnight EST. After the voting is done, I'll set-up rules for the tourney, which is basically just going to be sticking to the default online settings for the game, best 2 out of 3 matches, in each match, first player to 3 won rounds wins the match.

I'll update the OP with the voting cut-off.

I played 30-odd player matches of this game with Pure Apathy, FrankySox, woodcan, and S3anAmI earlier. I suck ass at this game, but it was fun. I just need to learn some moves and at least become decent with one character.

We should totally do it random >.> Yesterday after getting the Master of All Things achievement I decided to go for the 100 ranked wins. Though I normally use Ken I certainly got tired of the majority of the people I run into using Ryu and Ken (and to a lesser extent Akuma). So I just go random now. It makes me use characters I would never use before...though for some reason I tend to end up with Dhalsim a lot that way.

I know everyone will have their character, maybe I still will go random though and see how I do that way heh.

[quote name='Matt Young']I played 30-odd player matches of this game with Pure Apathy, FrankySox, woodcan, and S3anAmI earlier. I suck ass at this game, but it was fun. I just need to learn some moves and at least become decent with one character.[/quote]

I've always considered myself a great SF player, but I skipped Super Turbo in the arcades back in the day and I'm paying for it. I'm terrible. My current ranked record is like 8 and 20, but I've had a string of bad luck I think. Some very close matches that just kind of didn't go my way due to some BS. Anyway, I'm looking forward to just playing with some more regulars.

I am interested in playing in a CAG Tournament. If this one is full, I would be interested in playing in the next. :mrgreen:

Looks like we have 24 CAG's in the tourney and we'll be starting a series of 1v1 matches on Sunday, Dec. 7. I'll have the rules and brackets up (most likely on paper, just announcing who plays who the first round) tomorrow evening.

Thanks!

I've updated the OP with the rules for the tournament as well as the pairings for the beginning round of the tournament. Please schedule your match with your competitor within the next week.

Thanks!

I guess we weren't technically supposed to start the matches yet, but SAB CA and I got our series out of the way. Here are the results:

Match 1: 2 rounds won by Jek Porkins, as Zangief vs. DeeJay, with no rounds won by SAB CA.
Match 2: 2 rounds won by Jek Porkins, as Zangief vs. Dhalsim, with no rounds won by SAB CA.
Match 3: Not needed, but we played it. 2 rounds won by SAB CA, as Sagat, vs. my Zangief, with no rounds won.

We ended up playing about 70 matches just for fun afterward, with a ton of really close ones!

I have met the ground, thanks to Red's Zang. And it Hurt. Badly. Especially that second round. My Dhalsim was horrible (-_-; )

Very fun fights all in all though! Now I'm already itchin' for the next tourney, lol, being eliminated so swiftly.

Is there still room for a middle of the road Chun-Li player?

[quote name='jer7583']Is there still room for a middle of the road Chun-Li player?[/QUOTE]

Right now, the brackets are full and the tournament has already started, but if we have any drop-outs, you are certainly more than welcome to take their place.

Thanks!

[quote name='Matt Young']So, how do the finals work? We have 3 regions, and we can't do a triple threat match for the final.[/QUOTE]

Once each regional champion is determined, each champion will have a championship round consisting of 3 matches against the other 2 regional champions. Whichever CAG accumulates two won matches, wins the tournament outright.

For example:

Region 1 Champ v. Region 2 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 2 Champ
Region 2 Champ v. Region 3 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 3 Champ
Region 1 Champ v. Region 3 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 3 Champ

The overall Tourney Champ is Region 3.

Should all three regional champions win a championship match, one regional champion will create a player match with 2 private slots and 3 players and the first regional champion to attain two wins first, wins the tournament.

Region 1 Champ v. Region 2 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 2 Champ
Region 2 Champ v. Region 3 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 3 Champ
Region 1 Champ v. Region 3 Champ (Best 2 out of 3 matches) = Winner Region 1 Champ

if this happens, all three players will play one custom match together (similar to what you and Frankie Sox played with me last night) and the first regional champ to acquire two wins (the winner stays and the loser leaves when there are more than 2 players in the custom match) wins the tourney out right.

I know it's convoluted, but I think/hope it will work.

Thanks!

btw - Good games last night - that was fun.

Man I couldn't play last night because of connectivity issues on SF. Seems like thats the only game I have problems with at times. If anyone wants to run another shits and giggles tourney maybe today, let me know.

I'll be online in a couple hours. Send me a message, Darkwolf. I will be waiting whilst playing some Double XP World at War. :mrgreen:

Match 1: notorious_pip - Dhalsim/2 rounds won - 1 round won/Sagat - garret_in_the_hat
Match 2: notorious_pip - Dhalsim/2 rounds won - 1 round won/Sagat - garret_in_the_hat
Match 3: Unnecessary

[quote name='Chase']I'll be online in a couple hours. Send me a message, Darkwolf. I will be waiting whilst playing some Double XP World at War. :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I sent ya a message Chase, I might not be on till a little later after 8. Message is on Live. I will be on though :)

[quote name='PhrostByte']Kind of dumb setup man.. it should just be one guy vs. another in the finals.[/QUOTE]

I'm open to suggestions. Given the fact that we have 24 players and the typical 16/32 person bracket won't work here, it was what I came up with.

[quote name='wjhard63']I'm open to suggestions. Given the fact that we have 24 players and the typical 16/32 person bracket won't work here, it was what I came up with.[/quote]

Oh no see all I do is criticize I don't actually offer better ideas. :]

[quote name='wjhard63']I'm open to suggestions. Given the fact that we have 24 players and the typical 16/32 person bracket won't work here, it was what I came up with.[/QUOTE]

For the next tournament you could either go with a single or double elimination tournament set for the next highest bracket that would yield a two-man final (i.e. with 24 entries, turn the tournament into a 32 man bracket). To make it work, give byes to however many people are needed in the first round. You can either do that through random drawing, or allow the top finishers in this tournament byes in the first round of the next tournament.

bread's done
Back