First-gen 360 RROD (3 lights): Repair or buy new 4GB 360?

dogfishfiend

CAGiversary!
My first-gen 360 finally got the 3 light RROD over the weekend. Of course it's out of warranty by just over a year (called MS to confirm). Any thoughts on attempting to repair it myself using one of the kits available through Amazon (and using Youtube videos)?

MS wants $99 to have them repair it. Seems like a lot when I could get a new 4GB console for $199 and use my 20GB HDD from my dead console.

I appreciate your feedback. Figures this would happen just before ME3 comes out!

Go for a new one. The extra memory plus better heat management and quieter operating sound makes the extra money spent worth it. Also, I believe that some places are having deals on it so you could get the 4GB system cheaper than normal.

I say go for a new one for reliability. Target has a sale this week for the 4gb 360 for $179.99 + a $25 gift card. Worth it also if you have their red card in order to get 5% off

[quote name='AJVtony831']I say go for a new one for reliability. Target has a sale this week for the 4gb 360 for $179.99 + a $25 gift card. Worth it also if you have their red card in order to get 5% off[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the scoop on this! Target does indeed have the 4GB for $179.99 plus a $25 GC. I submitted a price match to Amazon.

I'm in the same boat, though I still have a working non-HDMI 360 to fall back on. Once the second one goes I'm buying a new 4GB.

I own 3 Xboxs (bought one at launch, won one, and bought a 4GB with $60 coupon at Kmart awhile ago).

Get the new one. Less power comsumption, quieter drive (although still not nearly as quiet as I thought it would be). Kinect-ready, if you care about those things (I do). There are deals now for $180 new plus a coupon I think. I'd definitely get a new model.

bread's done
Back