First Madden 10 Review - IGN.com 8.9/10

bleak

CAGiversary!
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011937p1.html

My Thoughts:

Overall, the review is very positive. The graphics are the best yet with a few issues, and they mainly like the new gameplay adjustments. Personally, my favorite new feature is the online Franchise mode, where you can draft and play with up to 31 other people - an entire league of your friends! Apparently, they're also going to make an iPhone app to track your league. Anyways, it sounds like there's enough improvements this year to justify an upgrade. Yes, I am a Madden whore, despite desperate attempts to the contrary. See http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231682

Notable Comments from the Review:

Overall:

"There are issues with some of the new aspects that have worked their way into Madden (and things that have been taken out), but there's no denying that this is the best pure football experience in videogame history."

Graphics:

"This is the best looking Madden game yet."

"You'll see things like flickering hair textures and objects on the sideline that fail to load..."

"The only true downside to the graphics is that slowdown occurs on occasion when the action gets too frantic."

Presentation:

"The voiceover work by NFL Network talent is pretty atrocious, but the presentation is well done."

Gameplay:

"The gameplay package is hefty and is without question the most refined on-field experience I've seen from the Madden franchise."

"I'm also very happy to see the Fight for the Fumble mechanic play out as well as it does."

"The real change to gameplay, and the one that drives home the feeling of the NFL the most, is procedural tackling (Pro-Tak)."

"Quarterback avoidance is the one control change that I really don't care for."

Computer AI:

"There isn't much of a leap forward from last year's game to Madden NFL 10, so you'll still see players running out of bounds when there's absolutely no reason to do so."

"Off the field, the artificial intelligence wonkiness doesn't have a negative effect on trade logic, which is sharper than I've seen in the past."

New Modes:

"Online Franchise is probably my favorite mode in the game... adly, Online Co-op doesn't pan out quite so well."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']What'd you think of the demo?[/QUOTE]

The graphics were really nice, but I found the gameplay frustrating for some reason. I'm assuming because it's different than I'm used to; hopefully, I will adjust to it once I spend more time with the game. I'm not used to losing to the computer in Madden, but frankly, it was kicking my ass. Anyways, it's hard to tell with 1 minute quarters - I felt really rushed.

What difficulty did you play at? I played on allpro and won 7-0 but passing was really hard. I had all my success with running the ball. But the tackling graphics surprised me for the better.

I was playing All-Pro. I think the score was 21-14, computer; and then they intercepted my pass, ran it back for a touchdown, and I quit. I haven't had a chance to play again, because I've been visiting family sans console.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Woah. 5 TDs in less than 4 minutes?[/QUOTE]

I only had 4 minutes, so it was some aggressive football. I'm pretty ridiculous, when I've got a full clock.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']This game will be $20 in three months. Bring back 2k football , that was a real game.[/QUOTE]

No Madden game drops to $20 until the next one comes out, and even then that's likely for a used copy. Heck Madden 09 was still $35 used up until this week.

As much as I love 2K basketball/football, trolling like this isn't going to do a damned thing.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Heck Madden 09 was still $35 used up until this week.[/QUOTE]

Where!? GameCrazy dropped it to $19.99 used when NCAA came out..

[quote name='MSUHitman']No Madden game drops to $20 until the next one comes out, and even then that's likely for a used copy. Heck Madden 09 was still $35 used up until this week.

As much as I love 2K basketball/football, trolling like this isn't going to do a damned thing.[/QUOTE]

you... you're joking right? My madden 09 sold for 9 bucks shipped on ebay a few months ago. The game is worthless after a month or 2.

I just wondering if EA gave approval to IGN to release the review 2 days early. It's supposedly embargoed until the 10th.

[quote name='Zarkon']I just wondering if EA gave approval to IGN to release the review 2 days early. It's supposedly embargoed until the 10th.[/QUOTE]

IGN tends to get early exclusive reviews. Moreover, even if they didn't, you think Electronic Arts is going to raise a big stink to Rupert Murdoch? That's one scary guy.

[quote name='Scorch']Where!? GameCrazy dropped it to $19.99 used when NCAA came out..[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that was the price at Gamestop. It may of dropped when NCAA came out, not for sure. (Edit: It looks like it dropped to $25 used after NCAA came out.)

Also I was talking about retail. Opened copies of stuff sell for super cheap on EBay all the time, especially if you start the bidding at .99. The cheapest it was at retail was $30 and that was starting a couple of months ago. It will not be $20 retail until well into 2010.

I wish the Wii version of 09 would drop to $20 already. There were plenty of deals for the other versions but there's been no Wii deals. It's $30 most places now, hoping it hits $20 once 10 comes out. I refuse to pay $50 for a Madden game, or basically any game for that matter.

"This is the best looking Madden game yet."

Isn't that true of Madden every single year?

If Rocket Catching is still in this game that 8.9 doesn't mean squat to a lot of people.

...and plus this could be the first Madden since they got the NFL Player's license to not have Brett Favre.

[quote name='Fayt13']
...and plus this could be the first Madden since they got the NFL Player's license to not have Brett Favre.[/QUOTE]

They should've put him in as a free agent...

I'm sorry but could someone explain the term "rocket catching" to me? I've played Madden for well over a dozen years but I've never heard this term.
T.I.A.

bread's done
Back