First Mirror's Edge Review Posted Online

apollo610

CAG Veteran
AFAIK there haven't been any Mirror's Edge reviews posted online due to the embargo - which has just been lifted.

First review from Gameplayer out of Australia, full link can be found off of www.RasterReport.com

Here's a summary:

Ultimately though, Mirror’s Edge is a first-generation attempt at a whole new frontier of platform gaming. Digital Illusions has made revolutionary inroads on perspective and the relationship it shares with movement and combat, but simply couldn’t build the levels to allow it to unfold in a consistently engaging way. It deserves to be seen, played and experienced by any discerning gamer with an interest in the progression of the industry, but is unlikely to resonate with the majority of consumers. We hope in all honesty that EA persevere with the planned trilogy and give DICE the time to perfect the level design and pacing for the next iteration, as many of the greatest advancements in culture only gain resonance in retrospect of what they inspired.

I'm definitely picking this up, though I'm not setting myself up for disappointment by assuming it will be a AAA game. From the demo I can tell it will be a B/B+ game based on its own limitations.

[quote name='arnoldhead']GameTrailers has their review up. Says it takes about 7 hours to beat the game...[/QUOTE]

Because length is the only thing that matters.

:lol:

I really enjoyed the demo, but I have a feeling there's going to be just some frustrating parts in this game. Not challenging, but just.. those pain in the ass game moments that make you not wanna play that game : (

[quote name='lilboo']:lol:

I really enjoyed the demo, but I have a feeling there's going to be just some frustrating parts in this game. Not challenging, but just.. those pain in the ass game moments that make you not wanna play that game : ([/QUOTE]

Says the guy who's playing The Simpsons Game, the most frustrating POS ever.

[quote name='munch']Says the guy who's playing The Simpsons Game, the most frustrating POS ever.[/quote]
:rofl:
I am just sooooo on the fence about this. I have so many games that I still have not played and while I want to get this game, I know it will drop in a bit....

[quote name='deadgopher']Because length is the only thing that matters.[/quote]
It does when you have no interest in time trials.

[quote name='deadgopher']Because length is the only thing that matters.[/quote]

That is by far the dumbest thing I have read today. Length in games matters because a lot of us don't like playing through games in which we already know what is going to happen. It is the same thing with movies. Some people just hate rewatching movies for the mere fact that fro them the thrill of watchign the movies is not knowing what will happen next, so rewatching a movie eiliminates that suspense.

[quote name='help1']That is by far the dumbest thing I have read today. Length in games matters because a lot of us don't like playing through games in which we already know what is going to happen. It is the same thing with movies. Some people just hate rewatching movies for the mere fact that fro them the thrill of watchign the movies is not knowing what will happen next, so rewatching a movie eiliminates that suspense.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I feel. I rarely buy a movie unless its a cartoon and I know that kids will rewatch it (whether my own evntually, ow relatives/frieds children).

Other than that movies I will enjoy with others when they come to visit.

Games are somewhat the same way. I want an awesome single player experience first and foremost, unless its a party game in which I want it to be just that.

This is a new take on this type of game, I will probably rent, but the length is not as important as getting a solid idea and experience out there.

[quote name='apollo610']AFAIK there haven't been any Mirror's Edge reviews posted online due to the embargo - which has just been lifted.

First review from Gameplayer out of Australia, full link can be found off of www.RasterReport.com

Here's a summary:[/quote]

:whistle2:k

1. Why would they go to that site, which has nothing to do with the review, when they could go to http://www.gameplayer.com.au/?

2. Why didn't you just post the link in the OP?

Linkage - http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/Mirrors-Edge-Review.aspx

[quote name='munch']Says the guy who's playing The Simpsons Game, the most frustrating POS ever.[/QUOTE]

:lol:
I am having no trouble at all with the game and we beat it last night.

maybe in the next one they will get rid of the red pathway crap and just build levels with lots of diff ways to get where you need to . if they mixed some of that games mechanics with diff franchises like tomb raider, resident evil or prince of persia you could definelty take those franchises to new exciting levels.tenchu would be good with it too.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe in the next one they will get rid of the red pathway crap and just build levels with lots of diff ways to get where you need to . if they mixed some of that games mechanics with diff franchises like tomb raider, resident evil or prince of persia you could definelty take those franchises to new exciting levels.tenchu would be good with it too.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read, you can turn the red pathways off, and there are multiple routes in many cases.

bread's done
Back