First Time PC Builder

chargeup45

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ive had a Dell PC for 5 years now, and although its been good, its been showing its age for awhile. So I decided it would be a nice project to build my next PC. I did some research, and I have made at least some decisions.

- Dell 1905FP monitor (bought already for 250)
- AMD processor with matching motherboard
- 160 GB HD (probably seagate)
- DVD writer and maybe an additional CD-RW
- Video card with TV tuner and DVI input
- 1 GB of total memory
- Total budget: 1100-1200

I'll be using this PC for mostly internet browsing, MS Office, DVDs, music, and a a bit of gaming. I dont need a complete beast, but I want something that'll last a good 5 years.

Now for my questions:

- I currently have a 733 mhz Pentium with a 10 GB HD. Would I be better off with just copying all the data onto the new HD and dumping the 10 GB, or should I build the new PC with the 10 GB for XP and 160 GB for data? Will I have any trouble because I'm switching from Pentium to AMD?

- What processor/motherboard/video card combo would you recommend for my budget? Are there any restrictions on RAM selection based on what processor I choose?

- Should I only be looking at cases with 400W or better power supply?

- Should I find a book or FAQ on building a PC, or are the instructions on all of the parts good enough for a beginner?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

for the video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102297

For the cpu you might wanna check out the athlon 64 series , the processor you should look for should be socket 939. Im not familiar with how good a motherboard is but im guessing nforce 3 mobo is a good choice for you . (gigabyte,ASUS,LANPARTY,and ABIT)
ike this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128286

Building a pc is pretty easy you dont really need a FAQ but its good to have for cross reference .I had just built my first pc in december . The reall problem I had was with the I/O interface on the back of the case that was a bitch to put on .

The other problem I had was that since I was using serial ATA Windows xp didnt have the drivers for it so I was having a problem installing. But I looked it up on line and fixed the problem.

You should make sure that all the parts you buy are compatible with each other and I think 400w supply should be suffecient.

[quote name='chargeup45']
- Should I find a book or FAQ on building a PC, or are the instructions on all of the parts good enough for a beginner?
[/QUOTE]

You could just get a magazine or a guide ($7 or less) that'll give you a detailed picture by picture on how to build a PC. As far as parts choice, the Gigabyte and Athlon 64 are good suggestions. The ATI All-In-Wonder is a good card, I have that card right now in my PC, but it's already aging (it's been out for 2 years). So it all depends on how you game (FPS games tend to require more frequent upgrades than, say, RPG and strategy games). I believe the hardest part in building a computer is not the actual building itself, but the installation of softwares and drivers. I've built PC for a good 8 years, most of the problems I see with people building their own PC is the trouble with drivers. But I do think those $7 mags and guides should cover a good portion of how to make your PC running without a hitch. If you're a sound guy, I would suggest getting a sound card as well, maybe something like the Creative Audigy 2.

Thanks for the help...

Im gonna hold off on a sound card, as I'm fine with the on board audio for now. Maybe down the line a bit I'll throw in a little cash for it.

Here are the products I have laid out for a system.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
Socket 939 AMD Mobo
ATI 9800 All in Wonder
NEC DVD writer
160 GB Seagate HD

Still considering 512 megs or 1 gig for RAM. Also looking at cases. KB, mouse, wireless internet, speakers, and monitor are all set. Is there anything else I need to look into?

Also, can anyone answer my question about if I should transfer all the data from my old HD to a new one?

I wouldn't recommend using the 10GB for booting, it'll be considerably slower than the 160GB you're going to get. What I would do is, I would partition the 160GB into at least 2 partitions, maybe a 60GB/100GB partitions with 60GB for Windows and programs, and the 100GB for data like music and files. If you have things you want to keep from your 10GB, you can hook the 10GB HD up as a slave HD after you've installed Windows on your 160GB, and then transfer things you want to keep, then take out the 10GB and store it away :)

As for memory, I'd get 1GB, since memory is cheap now. You can easily get 1GB for around $80 or less.

Yes, I agree with them about going for a gig of ram. You will notice a difference in video applications and big games. Plus, you can usually get a good deal on two 512mb sticks. Also, partition however you like, but don't use your old HD and don't copy an image of your old HD to start. All that new stuff, you should start with a good clean install.

Oh, yeah... don't skimp on the power supply! A 400 watt is perfect but make sure to buy a good solid one from a name brand company. You don't want your $50 power supply killing your $200 cpu.

That case seems ok, although as a personal preference, I'd like to have a fan slot built onto the side panel so it blows into the video card. Since the 9800 Pro does get hot (heatsink-too-hot-to-touch kind of hot), and if you really want that case, I would get something like this. This PCI/AGP slot fan can help reduce the temperature on your cards.

bread's done
Back