Fist of The North Star fighting game

CrimGhost

CAGiversary!
Anybody with a import or modded PS2 going to pick this one up? I heard pre-orders get a dvd with bonus footage. The game was developed by Arc System Works, the same guys behind Guilty Gear X2. I can't wait to play this one. It comes out on the 29th.

Game trailer with over excited commentary!
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEs447r9oWw[/MEDIA]
Arcade version review: http://insomnia.ac/reviews/atomiswave/hokutonoken/review.php

Bonus disc will include...
An exclusive training mode ("Starter's Guide") plus three Hokuto no Ken games by Sega: the Mark III version (1986), the Megadrive version (1989) and the PlayStation 2 version (2004)...Yes, it's the cheesy old Fist of the North Star games known as Black Belt and Last Battle in the states.

NCSX
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPM-66660.html?id=5IkbgiC4

Play Asia
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40-49-en-70-1s1p.html

[quote name='apokalipze2']Is Toki still broken?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're talking about the arcade version. I have no idea but I hope not, Toki's one of my favorite characters. I'll have to find a review of the arcade version and post it up for everybody.

Yes, I'm buying this immediately. Have it preordered and everything. I've been waiting for this game to hit the PS2 since like... 2005.

And while I've posted this in the fighting game thread already, it deserves mention here:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECSWSBH7Ltg[/MEDIA]

Hmm... had a chance to watch the trailer and I must conclude that the Japanese know how to sell a product. That guy's voice was legendary. Reminded me of Kuwabara's Japanese voice from Yu Yu Hakusho...

err... more on topic, what's with this Bonus DVD? Does it just cover the history of the FOTNS games, or does it actually have some of those games on there? I would like to play the extraordinarily cheesy FOTNS game on the PS1 again.

[quote name='Chacrana']Hmm... had a chance to watch the trailer and I must conclude that the Japanese know how to sell a product. That guy's voice was legendary. Reminded me of Kuwabara's Japanese voice from Yu Yu Hakusho...

err... more on topic, what's with this Bonus DVD? Does it just cover the history of the FOTNS games, or does it actually have some of those games on there? I would like to play the extraordinarily cheesy FOTNS game on the PS1 again.[/QUOTE]

It comes with a training mode and three Fist of the North Star games by Sega: the Mark III version (1986), the Megadrive version (1989) and the PlayStation 2 version (2004). I was hoping for a special edition release of the game ala Berserk, which was the last PS2 game I imported. A Kenshiro action figure would have been nice.

[quote name='CrimGhost']It comes with a training mode and three Fist of the North Star games by Sega: the Mark III version (1986), the Megadrive version (1989) and the PlayStation 2 version (2004). I was hoping for a special edition release of the game ala Berserk, which was the last PS2 game I imported. A Kenshiro action figure would have been nice.[/QUOTE]

I have the Berserk special edition. Game sucked (what I played at least), but I do like that action figure. And the branded box is sweet.

[quote name='VipFREAK']:cough: Street fighter clone :cough:[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well seeing how the Fist of the North Star series inspired most of the Street Fighter character designs, and that Street Fighter II influenced most 2D fighting games yeah I can see a small resemblance. Douche.

sweet, it's the 90s again.

*goes back to playing Fighter's History*

[quote name='VipFREAK']:cough: Street fighter clone :cough:[/QUOTE]it's actually more of a guilty gear clone.

first off, becoz they're made by the same dudes,

second becoz IAD rush tactics are common,

third becoz there's instant death moves, though the system for doing these are quite unique to the game

[quote name='Apossum']sweet, it's the 90s again.

*goes back to playing Fighter's History*[/QUOTE]

Did you sell your PS2 yet? Just wondering because Fighter's History may be all you have :lol:

I kid, I kid.

YOU ARE THE SMARTEST HUMAN BEING EVER!!!!

Apossum, did you sell your 360?

[quote name='asianxcore']YOU ARE THE SMARTEST HUMAN BEING EVER!!!!

Apossum, did you sell your 360?[/QUOTE]

He sold his 360.

Swap disc and rubber grips to play Imports on slim PS2 right?

This is going to be one the few imports I get for PS2 when I finally get one in a few months.

[quote name='Chacrana']He sold his 360.[/QUOTE]

Laaame. Then again if he's playing his PS3 more, I don't blame him.

Let me know what you think of this game when you get it. I know you are a big FOTNS fan, but I'm really curious how it holds up gameplay wise.

Match of the apocalypse...JESUS vs. JESUS...and some other people.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPiot0yy6A[/MEDIA]

[quote name='suko_32']I want this bad. However, what are the opinions of the people who've played this?[/quote]Plays like Guilty Gear. So if you're into that series you'll like this:cool: The characters are pretty dope too. Mamiya no is my favorite character since she feels just like Bridget from Guilty Gear.

[quote name='apokalipze2']Plays like Guilty Gear. So if you're into that series you'll like this:cool: The characters are pretty dope too. Mamiya no is my favorite character since she feels just like Bridget from Guilty Gear.[/QUOTE]

She's actually a girl too, Bridget is probably responsible for many a nerd's tragic downfall.

[quote name='ryosnk']Where is their info on the bonus content if you preorder it?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There's no preorder bonus, I guess. There is a second disc included with the game. I just got the game delivered like 10 minutes ago (haven't even put it in yet) so I haven't had a chance to see what's on there and all that nonsense.

[quote name='CrimGhost']How does Jagi play? I was kind of hoping he played like Faust or something.[/QUOTE]

Gimme a sec and I'll check on that. I was no faust master, but I could tear people up with him anyway... I at least know whether or not someone plays as him.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jagi is nothing like Faust.[/QUOTE]
Haha. I don't know why, I just had this idea that he would play like Faust. Sneak attacks and bags of tricks kind of stuff...ah man now I feel like watching FOTNS again to see Jagi make himself look like jackass. Anyway, about the bonus dvd, it comes with all copies of the game for now, just not pre-orders. Glad you like the game. A must have for FOTNS fans, but does attract the Guilty Gear or 2D fighter fans, who should be FOTNS fans or at least familiar with the series already haha.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7HvLG4e9aI[/MEDIA]
Hehe

Juda might play like Faust though. Just because he has random shit coming outta everywhere. No "coming out of the closet" move like Faust has, but he summons little boys or some shit.

I just ordered the game. More blab about it in the fighting game thread, once I get it next week.

I blame Chacrana entirely for this.

Finally came from UPS. Now for some Gou Ken action. I really wish there were some more playable characters, like Shuu or even Ryuken.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Finally came from UPS. Now for some Gou Ken action. I really wish there were some more playable characters, like Shuu or even Ryuken.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 10 character roster is kinda small, but then, everyone plays significantly different, so I'm fine with it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, the 10 character roster is kinda small, but then, everyone plays significantly different, so I'm fine with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, true. I guess Arc is trying to save some characters for a next edition in the future.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Yeah, true. I guess Arc is trying to save some characters for a next edition in the future.[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps HOKUTO NO KEN XX SOUTH STAR ETERNAL REVISION 1.3894

[quote name='Chacrana']Or perhaps HOKUTO NO KEN XX SOUTH STAR ETERNAL REVISION 1.3894[/QUOTE]

YEAH! With Bat and Lynn being unlockable, you know Arc would do something that silly.

[quote name='CrimGhost']YEAH! With Bat and Lynn being unlockable, you know Arc would do something that silly.[/QUOTE]

I actually kind of want to get that shitty menu based Hokuto no Ken game. The one that came out on PS1 and Saturn. It's awful, but the stupid moves that have effects like "glass breaking behind the enemy" and other touches like Kenshiro yelling every time you enter a letter for the passwords in the game make it well worth owning.

Edit: To be clear, don't buy that game.

I just got it but I dont see any bonus games on either disk and on the new egm they have an article about the game and its bonuses. Do they need to be unlocked or where are they located at?

Thanks.

[quote name='asianxcore']this game is awesome. buy it....buy it now.[/QUOTE]

If it wasn't a guarantee it would go The Best and drop 50% in the next 9 months I would ;)

$63 is too much to spend on a fighting game when I'm the only one who will ever play it :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']If it wasn't a guarantee it would go The Best and drop 50% in the next 9 months I would ;)

$63 is too much to spend on a fighting game when I'm the only one who will ever play it :lol:[/QUOTE]

Definitely understand your point.

I couldn't wait on HNK though. It was nice having a NEW fighting game and not some rehashed, "updated version" of an older game. :)

bread's done
Back