[Fixed] PC troubles, need some tech help

Zman310

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, so I go to turn on my computer this morning, and when I turn on the power bar and press the on button, nothing happens. I try again, and still nothing. My computer was acting normal before I turned it off last night, and I've never had a problem like this before. The only thing that happens when I turn the power bar on is that the monitor and my external CDRW drive power up, and a green light below the voltage switch on the back of my computer starts blinking. Other than that, it seems to be completely dead. Anyone have any ideas?

[quote name='Zman310']Ok, so I go to turn on my computer this morning, and when I turn on the power bar and press the on button, nothing happens. I try again, and still nothing. My computer was acting normal before I turned it off last night, and I've never had a problem like this before. The only thing that happens when I turn the power bar on is that the monitor and my external CDRW drive power up, and a green light below the voltage switch on the back of my computer starts blinking. Other than that, it seems to be completely dead. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]
You could try and reset the CMOS, but that probably won't solve the problem.

I had wondered about a power supply problem, didn't think about the motherboard though. Damn, I've had the computer for less than a year, why the hell is that going out already? And no, nothing seems to power up except my monitor and external CD drive, everyting on the tower itself doesn't respond, except for that one light on the back.

If you can't diagnose this yourself, I would highly suggest taking it to your local BB, and having the geek squad take a look at it. Most of the time to take a look at it and tell you what the problem is they do for free.

[quote name='tornadomann']If you can't diagnose this yourself, I would highly suggest taking it to your local BB, and having the geek squad take a look at it. Most of the time to take a look at it and tell you what the problem is they do for free.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing, I think the geek squad would be my best bet. And if they tell me that something needs replacing, it is still under warranty at Microcenter, so I can always take it there for free repairs.

Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard. Off the topic, but I can't believe BB would allow customers to call their employees "Geek Squad", seems unprofessional and demeaning.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard.[/quote]

His CD drive is an external drive, it has a separate power supply than the main tower.

Power supply would be the #1 criminal here :) Don't pay more than $30 labor to have them fix the problem if it is the power supply. It only takes 10 mins to swap out the old one, install the new one, and making sure the new one works.

[quote name='SOSTrooper'][quote name='scdoanintendo']Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard.[/quote]

His CD drive is an external drive, it has a separate power supply than the main tower.

Power supply would be the #1 criminal here :) Don't pay more than $30 labor to have them fix the problem if it is the power supply. It only takes 10 mins to swap out the old one, install the new one, and making sure the new one works.[/quote]
In a previous post he said the computer is still under warranty microcenter, so he could take it there and get it done for free!

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard. Off the topic, but I can't believe BB would allow customers to call their employees "Geek Squad", seems unprofessional and demeaning.[/quote]

When I worked at best hell they did not care at all that I had computer knowledge. It was all about the ******* service plans. I had a following of people who came to me for my computer knowledge. Yet other people who knew jack about it would lie and get the service plan. Of course the lier might have had job security since she was screwing the married boss(btw he did knock her up I think that would be her 4th kid). I have learned there is no way to compete with a new hire if they are screwing the boss. I thought working in computers I would sell and help people. I did not know it was all about those plans

[quote name='tornadomann'][quote name='SOSTrooper'][quote name='scdoanintendo']Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard.[/quote]

Power supply would be the #1 criminal here :) Don't pay more than $30 labor to have them fix the problem if it is the power supply. It only takes 10 mins to swap out the old one, install the new one, and making sure the new one works.[/quote]
In a previous post he said the computer is still under warranty microcenter, so he could take it there and get it done for free![/quote]

Which is what I'm going to do, first thing tomorrow morning. My guess has become power supply too, so it should be a pretty painless experience. Thanks to all for your help, and I'll give a brief update tomorrow if everything goes well.

[quote name='gamecubeandxboxfan'][quote name='scdoanintendo']Could be a power supply problem then, but the reason that leads me to think it is the motherboard is because the cd drive powers. You could open the computers and check the cables to all the drives and motherboard. Off the topic, but I can't believe BB would allow customers to call their employees "Geek Squad", seems unprofessional and demeaning.[/quote]

When I worked at best hell they did not care at all that I had computer knowledge. It was all about the ******* service plans. I had a following of people who came to me for my computer knowledge. Yet other people who knew jack about it would lie and get the service plan. Of course the lier might have had job security since she was screwing the married boss(btw he did knock her up I think that would be her 4th kid). I have learned there is no way to compete with a new hire if they are screwing the boss. I thought working in computers I would sell and help people. I did not know it was all about those plans[/quote]
I don't know what kinda BB you were working at, but that sounds fucked up. I work at BB , in computers, and our number one focus is getting what the customer needs, and or wants not the service plan.

*500* w00t!

To bad your best buy is not around here. My two local could careless about custmers. There goals are service plans and crap you dont need(do not get me started on what they taught to add $500 worth crap to a sale. Does anyone need a $300 battery backup that buys an emachine). All my local best buys know is how to piss people off by pushing crap. I left because I got tired of pissing people off. I got written up one time for not offering a service plane on a free cordless phone. Last time I tried to buy a cd there I nearly had to club the sale person with the cd spinner scratch remover. No means NOOOOO. Then when I checked out I so wanted to tell them where they could stick that sports illustred.

Woooo! Back up and running. Short version: went to Microcenter yesterday, they said they had a huge back log and that I should call for in home repair, but I found out that they don't do that until my extended warranty kicks in, so I called Compaq and they sent me a new power supply. Came overnight, installed it after I got home from school, and it looks like everything is working fine.

[quote name='Zman310']Woooo! Back up and running. Short version: went to Microcenter yesterday, they said they had a huge back log and that I should call for in home repair, but I found out that they don't do that until my extended warranty kicks in, so I called Compaq and they sent me a new power supply. Came overnight, installed it after I got home from school, and it looks like everything is working fine.[/quote]

That's good to hear! :D

[quote name='Zman310']Woooo! Back up and running. Short version: went to Microcenter yesterday, they said they had a huge back log and that I should call for in home repair, but I found out that they don't do that until my extended warranty kicks in, so I called Compaq and they sent me a new power supply. Came overnight, installed it after I got home from school, and it looks like everything is working fine.[/quote]
w00t! Im glad your machine is running correctly again!

bread's done
Back