Fixing a PSP UMD, NEED HELP

yukafls

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
I originally created this thread to help with my Game Gear(see post below) but now I need help with UMDs for the PSP...cause I think I might have broken the Game Gear worse.

Ok, I bought a PSP game and the disc(UMD case) is kinda mangled. It still plays, but I have heard that you can pop off the case and like take one from like a demo and put it on good as new.

So that is my knowledge, how do you take it apart without scratching the real disc all to hell.

ORIGINAL POST
Anyone know how to fix a Game Gear??? I bought one for like $5 and the screen just stayed lite but the game did not come one. I tried replacing the batteries and trying another game(bought another one at play and trade) but still nothin.

Anyone else got any tips???

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a problem with the cartridge connector. If you've got compressed air, try blowing it into the cartridge slot. You may also be able to flatten a q-tip, use isopropyl alcohol, and clean the cartridge connector.

Alright whip, I tried the rubbing alcohol and it almost worked. The qtips were blackish when I pulled them out but still nada. Any other suggestions???

[quote name='yukafls']Alright whip, I tried the rubbing alcohol and it almost worked. The qtips were blackish when I pulled them out but still nada. Any other suggestions???[/QUOTE]
Keep trying until the q-tips come out clean, and make sure it's good and dry before you fire it up.

Other than that, check your brightness knob and make sure it's not turned all the way up.

Um.. I don't think there are brightness knobs on mine???? I only noticed there was the volume one. Oh...and I accidentally fired it up right after cleaning:oops:. I will try again today and let you know

The brightness on the GameGear is crap. As in it does not really control brightness. It more or less just controls the viewing angle. For instance with the brightness all the way up or down I cannot see anything on the screen when I look directly at it and I have to tilt it. So you might be at one of the two extremes. And try turning the sound up to see if the game is booting.

Sorry, I haven't been able to post in a while. I tried cleaning one more time, and the screen when from being on and black to flickering and shutting off.

You can get the disc out of the shell if you pull gently, but firmly, the back and front side apart. You can use a case from a demo, but if you break it or if it doesn't work right, you can buy one of these. Hope I helped a bit.

[quote name='machoman_93']You can get the disc out of the shell if you pull gently, but firmly, the back and front side apart. You can use a case from a demo, but if you break it or if it doesn't work right, you can buy one of these. Hope I helped a bit.[/quote]

Yeah, it helps. Have you ever ordered from the site before???

[quote name='machoman_93']Okay, glad to know I helped. I never ordered from that site before, just googled for a umd replacement. I don't know if the site is reliable, check www.resellerratings.com . I'll look for a good site tomorrow, I'm really sleepy right now, haha.[/quote]

Na, thats ok. I was just wondering off hand. I tried to crack open one of my demo ones but was too afraid of breaking it. I think I will just beat the game and then return it and say it didn't work.....I know...I'm a bastard for doing it.

bread's done
Back