FLCL Preorders @ Amazon $21 & $25

One of my favorite animes, but I've already got the old DVDs, and based on the one review on the Amazon page, the blu-rays will just be an upscaled mess and not worth the upgrade. Oh well.

DarkSageRK - Back when I bought them, they were $30 per disc with two episodes on each disc. I think I got them a little cheaper -- $15-20 per disc probably (don't specifically remember) and they were well worth it. $30 for the whole series is a bargain.

Thanks OP. Didn't know this was coming out on Blu-Ray but will wait for reviews. I will probably pick up no matter what because I have the soundtracks on CD and really want the series on Blu.

I have the boxset Synchpoint released years ago. I imagine it's better than this set because it came in a thick cardboard box and came with a bunch of extras like an artbook thingy. I still kinda want to get this set though just for the cover.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']6 episodes for $30? Even if FLCL was a good anime, I wouldn't be interested.[/QUOTE]

I bought the original releases at a local store as they were released. $90 for 6 episodes; absolutely worth it.

I've had the old boxset for years now, totally worth it. I'm really not a TV/movies kind of person and can usually only stand to watch something once and then be done with it - but these, even I can watch over and over again. Seems to make more sense the more times you see it, and you can't beat the music.

[quote name='arcane93']One of my favorite animes, but I've already got the old DVDs, and based on the one review on the Amazon page, the blu-rays will just be an upscaled mess and not worth the upgrade. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
That guy got a lot of flack for that though, since he hadn't seen the US release yet. I had to preorder the bluray release asap, hope it doesn't come back to bite me later.

[quote name='Jhuntley']That guy got a lot of flack for that though, since he hadn't seen the US release yet. I had to preorder the bluray release asap, hope it doesn't come back to bite me later.[/QUOTE]

There's no question that the Blu-ray release *will* be an upscale.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']30 is a lot for six episodes, but it's the cheapest this shit is going to be.[/QUOTE]

Actually, RightStuf will have this cheaper during their next Funimation sale (which shouldn't be too far off). $24 for the DVD set and $27 for Blu, and that's before a GotAnime discount.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']There's no question that the Blu-ray release *will* be an upscale.[/QUOTE]Are you familiar with similar cases with anime shows on blu-ray? I'm curious as to whether upscaled transfers are noticeably different from active DVD upscaling. If it looks even a little bit better, maybe I should see if I can get anything decent by selling by selling off my artbox collection.

EDIT: speaking of upscaled anime, does anyone know what the deal is with Samurai Champloo? I read that the current blu-ray set is a pretty half-assed upscale job, but Amazon has some other listing for it here: http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Champ...TF8&coliid=I365BVZPTRHSDG&colid=2D406RHG5E03L Is there some newer/upgraded/different version coming out?

In that Amazon review he mentions the Japanese blu-ray is out. I can't find any reviews or picture comparisons. I will probably buy this regardless unless it really is a "fuzzy mess". Especially since it's 10 years old, I'm not expecting an HD picture, but still a clean crisp image. I'd even say the sound is more important.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Are you familiar with similar cases with anime shows on blu-ray? I'm curious as to whether upscaled transfers are noticeably different from active DVD upscaling. If it looks even a little bit better, maybe I should see if I can get anything decent by selling by selling off my artbox collection.

EDIT: speaking of upscaled anime, does anyone know what the deal is with Samurai Champloo? I read that the current blu-ray set is a pretty half-assed upscale job, but Amazon has some other listing for it here: http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Champ...TF8&coliid=I365BVZPTRHSDG&colid=2D406RHG5E03L Is there some newer/upgraded/different version coming out?[/QUOTE]

The upscales released by Funimation thus far have been inferior to the DVD releases at worst (Samurai Champloo), and infinitesimally minor improvements at best (like Ouran, where the DVDs weren't encoded that well to begin with). If you already have a player capable of upscaling your DVDs, there exists absolutely no reason to re-purchases any of these upscaled releases unless you absolutely *need* lossless audio for some reason.

And no, that listing is just for a re-priced release of their existing Champloo Blu-ray discs.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The upscales released by Funimation thus far have been inferior to the DVD releases at worst (Samurai Champloo), and infinitesimally minor improvements at best (like Ouran, where the DVDs weren't encoded that well to begin with). If you already have a player capable of upscaling your DVDs, there exists absolutely no reason to re-purchases any of these upscaled releases unless you absolutely *need* lossless audio for some reason.

And no, that listing is just for a re-priced release of their existing Champloo Blu-ray discs.[/QUOTE]Thanks a lot for the info. May as well hold on to my money and my current DVDs in that case. I don't even have an HDMI-based receiver, so I'd get no benefit from a lossless audio track at this point.

It will be nice to have FLCL on one disc rather than three. I'm glad Funi rescued this series, it's one of my favorites (especially the soundtrack).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']RightStuf will have this cheaper during their next Funimation sale (which shouldn't be too far off). $24 for the DVD set and $27 for Blu, and that's before a GotAnime discount.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm waiting for :)

The best modern coming-of-age story I've ever read or watched. Easily my favorite anime ever. Beautiful and affecting. I paid $30 for the first DVD release, volume one, at a Suncoast several years back to see what it was about using money from my very first job. The instant the last episode on the disc stopped, I drove to the mall and immediately dropped $60 for the remaining two discs. No regrets whatsoever.

It's worth noting FLCL is absolutely loaded with anime and animation in-jokes, but getting them has little bearing on whether or not you'll enjoy the series itself as they are fleeting and unrelated to the actual plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was going to bite on the blu until the upscale...I will continue to enjoy my first release box set(I knabbed one on the Brocoli site w/a shot glass), I had a hell of a time finding volume 2 individual years back. For people bitching about it being high for a 6 episode anime...its def worth it. Very random anime that other production companies cannot even come close to achieving....

Might just have to pick this up. I'm not a huge fan of anime, but this series was outstanding. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

That reminds me. How about we lower the price of the Akira Blu ray, Amazon?

[quote name='shouamabane']Is this going to be DNR'd to death like the Japanese Blu-Ray?[/QUOTE]

It's a Funimation upscale, so... probably.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']30 is a lot for six episodes, but it's the cheapest this shit is going to be.[/QUOTE]
You mean, for now? Amazon runs a lot of Funi sales and this would most likely be included in one of them a few months down the line.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Being a Funimation release I expect to see it get crazy cheap shortly after release, like everything else they come out with.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that. This and Ouran High school should probably be the few blu-rays/dvd's that will retain there value for a few years. Sadly :( waiting for ouran high school to drop to mid 20's

[quote name='lorddct']I highly doubt that. This and Ouran High school should probably be the few blu-rays/dvd's that will retain there value for a few years. Sadly :( waiting for ouran high school to drop to mid 20's[/QUOTE]
According to CamelCamelCamel, Ouran was $27 last July...and that's when I bought it. You should just have a tracker running.

[quote name='Zaku77']I may strongly disagree on the Funimation upscale comments. The DBZ movies on Blu are upscales, correct?[/QUOTE]
No, the DBZ movies were film.

This upscale conversation is so goddamned boring... it's anime from the late 90s/early 2000s. They had no concept of high definition home video and producing it with that in mind would have been prohibitively expensive. Unless they go back and rescan each cell one-by-one (which is NOT GOING TO fuckING HAPPEN), you're going to end up with upscales on Blu.

The benefit of buying some of this stuff on Blu as opposed to DVD are thus:

1. Takes up less space.
2. Slightly sharper image quality.

If it is not worth it for you for that, then get the fucking DVD. But stop shitting all over threads with the upscale debate because IT'S fuckING BORING AS HELL AT THIS POINT.

god this show was so effin bizarre when I first watched it. FLCL is not the kinda show you can just lazily watch. That show is so fast paced that you can easily miss important stuff if your not paying attention 100%. That being said, I did really like the show. It was very interesting. Still not sure if I want to own it tho, so I think I will wait.

Went ahead and pre-ordered the DVD. My only concern is that they're fitting it all on one disc. Should this even be a problem in terms of image or audio quality?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Went ahead and pre-ordered the DVD. My only concern is that they're fitting it all on one disc. Should this even be a problem in terms of image or audio quality?[/QUOTE]Six 22-25 minutes episodes on a single disc? Not an issue, especially if it's a dual-layer DVD, which it should be.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Went ahead and pre-ordered the DVD. My only concern is that they're fitting it all on one disc. Should this even be a problem in terms of image or audio quality?[/QUOTE]I think the running time of the entire series is just under 2 and a half hours, shorter than many movies, so it should be fine. Having this on one disc instead of three is one of the main reasons I'm thinking of getting it (upscale or not). Looks like the old ones still fetch a pretty penny online, so my course of action may be clear.

[quote name='zenintrude']This upscale conversation is so goddamned boring... it's anime from the late 90s/early 2000s. They had no concept of high definition home video and producing it with that in mind would have been prohibitively expensive. Unless they go back and rescan each cell one-by-one (which is NOT GOING TO fuckING HAPPEN), you're going to end up with upscales on Blu.

1. Takes up less space.

If it is not worth it for you for that, then get the fucking DVD. But stop shitting all over threads with the upscale debate because IT'S fuckING BORING AS HELL AT THIS POINT.[/QUOTE]haha relax dude, it's pretty relevant to the topic. Hardly thread-shitting. There are plenty of people who own prior releases and are wondering if it's worth the upgrade. I imagine your head would explode if you read the conversations in the Star Wars blu-ray thread.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Went ahead and pre-ordered the DVD. My only concern is that they're fitting it all on one disc. Should this even be a problem in terms of image or audio quality?[/QUOTE]
Most Funi releases now fit 6 or 7 episodes per disc, so no worries.

[quote name='BustaUppa']haha relax dude, it's pretty relevant to the topic. Hardly thread-shitting. There are plenty of people who own prior releases and are wondering if it's worth the upgrade. I imagine your head would explode if you read the conversations in the Star Wars blu-ray thread.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the point... if they stopped to think for a second, "was this produced for television consumption at a time in which mass adoption of HD was nearly a decade off," then they might understand that it's not going to look fantastic. Add to the fact that this series was greenlit with a ridiculously low budget and was more of an excuse for the staff involved to blow off steam, and you'll further understand why it's probably never going to get the royal treatment.

It's like if Sega decided to release Segagaga on XBLA and then people bitched and moaned that it hasn't been upgraded to widescreen HD visuals and 5.1 sound.

List of things that are never going to look awesome on Blu-ray:

1. Most television pre-2005. If it was a one-camera style production, there's the possibility that it was shot on film and could benefit from the upgrade, but you standard three-camera sitcom is not going to look any different on Blu, save for less artifacting.
2. Most anime pre-2007. Our beloved Cowboy Bebop is never going to look awesome on Blu-ray... why? Because there are lots and lots of CGI shots that have been mastered in SD. This is also the reason why shows like Firefly also don't look particularly great on Blu. On top of that, these shows were created and mastered for video... it's not like a Disney movie that was intended to be transferred to film and thus is perfect for a Blu-ray conversion... most of these were intended to end up on VHS and at best progressive DVD.

[quote name='zenintrude']That's exactly the point... if they stopped to think for a second, "was this produced for television consumption at a time in which mass adoption of HD was nearly a decade off," then they might understand that it's not going to look fantastic. Add to the fact that this series was greenlit with a ridiculously low budget and was more of an excuse for the staff involved to blow off steam, and you'll further understand why it's probably never going to get the royal treatment.

It's like if Sega decided to release Segagaga on XBLA and then people bitched and moaned that it hasn't been upgraded to widescreen HD visuals and 5.1 sound.

1. Most television pre-2005. If it was a one-camera style production, there's the possibility that it was shot on film and could benefit from the upgrade, but you standard three-camera sitcom is not going to look any different on Blu, save for less artifacting.
2. Most anime pre-2007. Our beloved Cowboy Bebop is never going to look awesome on Blu-ray... why? Because there are lots and lots of CGI shots that have been mastered in SD. This is also the reason why shows like Firefly also don't look particularly great on Blu. On top of that, these shows were created and mastered for video... it's not like a Disney movie that was intended to be transferred to film and thus is perfect for a Blu-ray conversion... most of these were intended to end up on VHS and at best progressive DVD.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is a losing battle. You're never going to be able to stop dumb people from asking for SD shows in HD. All we can do is repeat these same things over and over, and hope that at least some of it sinks in.

This shit was WTF? I think you guys have motivated to watch then again to see if they are still WTF? as for buying them on BR? no.

[quote name='zenintrude']That's exactly the point... if they stopped to think for a second, "was this produced for television consumption at a time in which mass adoption of HD was nearly a decade off," then they might understand that it's not going to look fantastic. Add to the fact that this series was greenlit with a ridiculously low budget and was more of an excuse for the staff involved to blow off steam, and you'll further understand why it's probably never going to get the royal treatment.

2. Most anime pre-2007. Our beloved Cowboy Bebop is never going to look awesome on Blu-ray... why? Because there are lots and lots of CGI shots that have been mastered in SD. This is also the reason why shows like Firefly also don't look particularly great on Blu. On top of that, these shows were created and mastered for video... it's not like a Disney movie that was intended to be transferred to film and thus is perfect for a Blu-ray conversion... most of these were intended to end up on VHS and at best progressive DVD.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Sadly, this is a losing battle. You're never going to be able to stop dumb people from asking for SD shows in HD. All we can do is repeat these same things over and over, and hope that at least some of it sinks in.[/QUOTE]You guys are obviously well-informed on the subject. But to be fair, it can be confusing to the average person. For example, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't understand why the original Star Trek can be released in high-def while The Next Generation can not. So I hope you're prepared for a lot more questions over the years. :lol:

Not sure if this is supposed to be in the same thread, but if anyone is interested the FLCL BD is available at Walmart.com for 24.96 + 1.97 shipping and tax.
Total comes to 28.xx depending on sales tax rate.

[quote name='Stele']According to CamelCamelCamel, Ouran was $27 last July...and that's when I bought it. You should just have a tracker running.[/QUOTE]

Damn it. I just missed out must wait for it then. Thanks

[quote name='zenintrude']This upscale conversation is so goddamned boring... it's anime from the late 90s/early 2000s. They had no concept of high definition home video and producing it with that in mind would have been prohibitively expensive. Unless they go back and rescan each cell one-by-one (which is NOT GOING TO fuckING HAPPEN), you're going to end up with upscales on Blu.

1. Takes up less space.

If it is not worth it for you for that, then get the fucking DVD. But stop shitting all over threads with the upscale debate because IT'S fuckING BORING AS HELL AT THIS POINT.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Sadly, this is a losing battle. You're never going to be able to stop dumb people from asking for SD shows in HD. All we can do is repeat these same things over and over, and hope that at least some of it sinks in.[/QUOTE]

IMO, these are pretty shitty things to say. The quality of the picture was called into question here in this thread partially due to the Amazon "review" and some of the comments. Things like:

"The upscales released by Funimation thus far have been inferior to the DVD releases at worst (Samurai Champloo), and infinitesimally minor improvements at best (like Ouran, where the DVDs weren't encoded that well to begin with). If you already have a player capable of upscaling your DVDs, there exists absolutely no reason to re-purchases any of these upscaled releases unless you absolutely *need* lossless audio for some reason."

or

[Originally Posted by shouamabane Is this going to be DNR'd to death like the Japanese Blu-Ray?]
"It's a Funimation upscale, so... probably."

It's perfectly reasonable to talk about the possible quality. I think we all agree these are not going to be HD masters in any sense. But if Kirin's statement about the quality of the blu-ray being "bad" in the sense of artifacting or other visual defects more noticeable and poor than DVD? Then those of us with soft spots for this show (like myself) have an honest concern because we want it to be "good". Not tech display, show off quality.....but just enough for a satisfied smile.

I'm sorry if you guys find that offensive, I don't want to start a flame war. I just want to walk into Best Buy on release day and buy my copy without reservations.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']It's perfectly reasonable to talk about the possible quality. I think we all agree these are not going to be HD masters in any sense. But if Kirin's statement about the quality of the blu-ray being "bad" in the sense of artifacting or other visual defects more noticeable and poor than DVD? Then those of us with soft spots for this show (like myself) have an honest concern because we want it to be "good". Not tech display, show off quality.....but just enough for a satisfied smile.

I'm sorry if you guys find that offensive, I don't want to start a flame war. I just want to walk into Best Buy on release day and buy my copy without reservations.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's not offensive at all. My only frustration comes from the fact that this is brought up *so often*, which makes it seem like people think anything can just magically be made into proper HD. Discussing the video quality of these releases is certainly a conversation worth having, if just to educate people who don't know any better - I just wish it didn't have to happen multiple times per thread. That, and the "I'm waiting for Blu-ray!" comments when discussing releases of SD programming. Groan.

What really gets to me about this whole issue is that there really is no good reason that blu-ray shouldn't be able to improve even standard definition content. Granted, it's not going to be the kind of dramatic improvement that can be seen with high definition content, but it can still be significant. Two points in that regard:

1. First, there is no good excuse for the fact that their professional-grade production equipment can't do a better job of upscaling than my home video equipment. If you're using an HDTV, upscaling is a given -- if the content hasn't already been upscaled on the disc, then either your DVD/blu-ray player or your TV is going to upscale it. It should be expected that professional equipment costing thousands of dollars and made specifically for the task would do a better job of it than the cheap video processor that's thrown into the consumer electronics.

Not only that, but when my home equipment does the upscaling, it's already working with a flawed source. Any compression artifacts, macroblocking, edge enhancement, etc. that was introduced in the encode to MPEG2 for the DVD is only going to be magnified by my equipment. When the upscaling is done professionally, they should generally be able to go back to a higher quality source without all of these problems.

So what's the excuse for the fact that many of these blu-rays are being reported to look worse than the DVDs? They should look better -- maybe not dramatically so, but still noticeably. There's something seriously wrong if a professionally done upscale doesn't improve at least a little over a DVD being upscaled by consumer equipment.

2. The second question that I have, though, is that if the studios can't do a better job with the upscaling, why do these have to be upscaled at all? Blu-ray is a disc format, not a video format -- there's no reason whatsoever why blu-rays couldn't be released with standard definition content (in fact, the recycled special features on many blu-rays are often kept in standard definition). So if you're going to keep it in standard definition, why bother to put it on blu-ray at all? Three answers:

• More space means less compression. Even the best looking DVD is going to have some issues introduced by compression -- again, artifacts, macroblocking, and edge enhancement. With the additional space that blu-ray affords, less compression can be used, resulting in a cleaner picture.

• Expanded color space. Most professional video equipment records with a larger color space than DVD allows. The expanded color space available with blu-ray would allow more depth of color to be retained, resulting in a more realistic and more brilliant picture.

• Uncompressed audio. This one is pretty much self-explanatory.
Again, would it be the dramatic difference that we see with a high definition source? No. But it would still be an improvement. It might or might not be worth bothering to upgrade for someone who already had a DVD, but if I'm going to buy it regardless, I'd personally like to buy the best version possible.

Of course, the problem is that the blu-ray manufacturing companies have spent tons of money drilling into consumers that "blu-ray = HD", so there would be numerous people complaining if they bought a blu-ray and it contained only SD content.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back