Fleamarket and strange FFVII finds

sonicradiation

CAGiversary!
I was perusing my local flea-market this week - didn't find too much. Just your typical collection of grime-crusted ps1 and sega geneis consoles with no power adapters, controllers or games. I did run across this one stall - he had several sports and kids ps2 games. In one of the boxes were a bunch of ps1 games - and it looked like every other title was a FFVII or FFVIII game (both black label and gh varieties). I just assumed they were commonly available - he wanted 5 bucks per game - most of the cases and discs were in fairly good condition. I decided to pass... having never played any FF games (heard VII was the the most liked of the series though!) Ebay inflation aside, the prices seem fairly high for such a popular and at one point commonly available game. I think I am going to look for him again tomorrow - should at least make for some good trades.

Both of the games are still fairly common (by no means are they rare), and eBay inflation isn't all it's cracked up to be ... unless they're new and sealed. Used copies won't net you too much more. I think most of them listed on eBay come in like-new condition, with instruction manuals and the occasional strategy guide -- and they don't get that much. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

However, ten bucks for both VII and VIII isn't half bad if they're in good condition. Last time I saw them at Gamestop (it was a while back) they were eleven bucks each, so it's a decent deal. Ten bucks is a small price to pay for a lot of quality game time. And who knows, maybe you'll get hooked on the series.

If any of those FF7 copies happens to be legit and disk 1 only, I'll pay you for it. I've disks 2 and 3, which is bad, all considering.

[quote name='the_gloaming']Both of the games are still fairly common (by no means are they rare), and eBay inflation isn't all it's cracked up to be ... unless they're new and sealed. Used copies won't net you too much more. I think most of them listed on eBay come in like-new condition, with instruction manuals and the occasional strategy guide -- and they don't get that much. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

However, ten bucks for both VII and VIII isn't half bad if they're in good condition. Last time I saw them at Gamestop (it was a while back) they were eleven bucks each, so it's a decent deal. Ten bucks is a small price to pay for a lot of quality game time. And who knows, maybe you'll get hooked on the series.[/QUOTE]
I'll pick them up tomorrow and see what they are like. Might be a good way to kill 80+ hours as I've heard they are fairly long games. The discs had the black-plastic surfaces that alot of PS1 games have so not entirely certain they are burned copies.

[quote name='Moses144']If any of those FF7 copies happens to be legit and disk 1 only, I'll pay you for it. I've disks 2 and 3, which is bad, all considering.[/QUOTE]
I'll see if the guy is there tomorrow and PM you if they are available/legit.

[quote name='sonicradiation']I'll pick them up tomorrow and see what they are like. Might be a good way to kill 80+ hours as I've heard they are fairly long games. The discs had the black-plastic surfaces that alot of PS1 games have so not entirely certain they are burned copies.[/QUOTE]

Humping is a better way to kill 80 hours.

[quote name='the_gloaming']Both of the games are still fairly common (by no means are they rare), and eBay inflation isn't all it's cracked up to be ... unless they're new and sealed. Used copies won't net you too much more. I think most of them listed on eBay come in like-new condition, with instruction manuals and the occasional strategy guide -- and they don't get that much. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

However, ten bucks for both VII and VIII isn't half bad if they're in good condition. Last time I saw them at Gamestop (it was a while back) they were eleven bucks each, so it's a decent deal. Ten bucks is a small price to pay for a lot of quality game time. And who knows, maybe you'll get hooked on the series.[/quote]

So your saying buying a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for $5 is a rip off and not even worth reselling on ebay....WTF? Dude a copy of the game discs only sells for around $50......Stop smoking crack please :roll:

The fanatics are the ones who are on crack, putting that game on a pedestal.

Sure, ebay says FFVII is a $50 game, but to me, it'll be a $15 game.

When people stop being stupid and selfish, and when Square stops pulling the wool over our eyes with their shitty spinoffs, they shall realize that.

To the OP - try both games and enjoy them for what they are. If you have the opportunity to check out the FFVIIIs in detail, and they're legit... PM me. Someone borrowed my FF8 and never returned it... *sigh*

/goes back to her Dreamcast
//get off my lawn

Hell if they are legit copies in good condition, you can buy a few copies to sell so the ones you keep are free. Thats the best way to get games. Make yours free.

As fate would have it, it rained today... after it cleared (a few hrs ago) no one was out there except the fruit and jewlery sellers and those sellers that have reserved their spots for probably the next 10 years.

"Dudes lots of Final Fantasy VII for 5.00!"

"Rip off ebay prices suck"

"GAME SUCKZZ!!!!"

"wtf it sells for like 50.00 on ebay you people are retarded"

"SQUARE IS SATAN FFVII IS STUPID FANBOYS SUCK!!!"

Seriously, no one can post a Final Fantasy thread around here without idiots jumping in talking about how Square is some kind of anti-christ or something.

Yes, Cmosfm, you really do make an idiot out of yourself by posting something like that. Where do you come up with such a witty quote as "'SQUARE IS SATAN FFVII IS STUPID FANBOYS SUCK!!!'?"

Youd be a fool to not try and pick up at least a couple. If I see rare games by chance I buy them even if I already have them. Maybe this copy is in better condition, maybe my friends want to trade for a copy, maybe I can use it as trade bait to get something cool that I actually want - and for a good price. If all else fails or you need cash, sell it. Thats what collecting is about, having a good time and maybe finding some good stuff/deals :). Plus if you havent played them yet, thats an amazing price and the best youre likely to see for them ever again.

All this communist talk about greed and sharing and stuff makes me want to throw up. If there was 100 copies, granted I wont buy all of them, but if you want the good stuff then be the first one to see it.

When I saw the guy on Saturady I didn't even know the game was really that much in demand... and also never played it... rained on Sunday.. so fingers crossed this coming Saturday!

Pick up whatever the guy has and deal them out on CAG. I'm sure you'll find many a appreciative buyer or trader here. I personally liked FFVIII much better then VII

[quote name='snotknocker']Pick up whatever the guy has and deal them out on CAG. I'm sure you'll find many a appreciative buyer or trader here. I personally liked FFVIII much better then VII[/quote]

I AGREE, every one says FFVII is so much better, but it is way overrated.

Please look up the meanings of "then" and "than" in your dictionary. You'll clearly see that "than" is the word to use here: I personally liked FFVIII much better than VII. After that please report your findings to EGM and GameInformer. It really gets to me that people make this mistake when the words have such different meanings.

[quote name='ragtop70']Please look up the meanings of "then" and "than" in your dictionary. You'll clearly see that "than" is the word to use here: I personally liked FFVIII much better than VII. After that please report your findings to EGM and GameInformer. It really gets to me that people make this mistake when the words have such different meanings.[/quote]

I like posts relevent to the topic more than meaningless, pissant, opinionated, condescending, posts irrelevent to the topic.

[quote name='sonicradiation']When I saw the guy on Saturady I didn't even know the game was really that much in demand... and also never played it... rained on Sunday.. so fingers crossed this coming Saturday![/quote]

Did you go?

Yep went and... no dice. It was pretty disappointing. However, I did manage pick up a box of sega CD games (incl sonic CD) and two genesis games for $8.00!

Thank you, snotknocker, for using "than." You have brightened my day.
Back on topic: If you were looking for FF7 or 8 for any reason other than to sell for profit, you were wasting your time anyway.

[quote name='ragtop70']Thank you, snotknocker, for using "than." You have brightened my day.
Back on topic: If you were looking for FF7 or 8 for any reason other than to sell for profit, you were wasting your time anyway.[/QUOTE]

And why is that?

[quote name='ragtop70']Because 7 & 8 are terrible. 10 is good, maybe even 9, but not 7 or 8. That's why.[/quote]

Kill yourself everything past 8 is horrible.

[quote name='ragtop70']Because 7 & 8 are terrible. 10 is good, maybe even 9, but not 7 or 8. That's why.[/QUOTE]

Oh dang. Too bad nobody ever told me that during my multiple play-throughs for 7 and the 100+ hours I put into 8. I must've been having so much fun, I didn't even notice the games sucked. [/sarcasm]

Get over yourself, dude. Just becuase you didn't like 'em doesn't mean no else did. (8 just happens to be my 2nd favorite of the Final Fantasy lineup.)

I'm just letting the OP know that FF 7&8 are not so GOOD that everyone is going to worship them. I used to read about how great Ico is on these boards and I bought it because I thought all those people couldn't be so wrong. They were and the game is horrible. I bought FF7 for $5 and it wasn't worth it. I tried FF8 and it's not worth $5 either. Opinions are like a-holes; everyone has one.

[quote name='ragtop70']I used to read about how great Ico is on these boards and I bought it because I thought all those people couldn't be so wrong. They were and the game is horrible.[/QUOTE]
It isn't often that I read something and go "wow".

Wow.

If Ico is "horrible", I am afraid to ask what is considered good.

[quote name='Zing']It isn't often that I read something and go "wow".

Wow.

If Ico is "horrible", I am afraid to ask what is considered good.[/quote]

Hello Kitty Island Adventure, of course.

It will rock your FACE OFF.

[quote name='Zing']It isn't often that I read something and go "wow".

Wow.

If Ico is "horrible", I am afraid to ask what is considered good.[/quote]ragtop is racking up the strikes against him.....

Good:
Resident Evil 4
Fable
Final Fantasy X
Gun (too short)
God of War (too short)
the Tiger Woods series
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (even though it's 1st person)

Not Good:
Ico
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
fighters
online gaming
most 1st person shooters
Pirates: Legend of the Black Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean

I have sold copies of FF7 for fifty bucks. Yes, the game is overpriced, but eh. It's not my fault it's overpriced.

I have personally found three copies of FF7 for the PSX and two for the PC at the flea markets I visit. One of those PSX copies was sealed. The others went to eBay. I already have one copy of FF7 for myself, no use keeping the spares.:cool:

(I'm not a huge fan of FF7 - I love FF6 and that's the last FF I bothered getting brand new, outside of the GBA remakes. I don't -hate- FF7, I just don't find it interesting.)

These are some rpg type games I've liked:
Xenosaga series
Paper Mario/TYD
PSO I/II
KOTOR I/II
Neverwinter Nights

Based this, would I actually even enjoy VII (which I've managed to find just one this weekend) or VIII? I have to agree these games do seem a bit overrated but that doesn't mean they plain suck. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are overrated and they rock.

[quote name='sonicradiation']These are some rpg type games I've liked:
Xenosaga series
Paper Mario/TYD
PSO I/II
KOTOR I/II
Neverwinter Nights

Based this, would I actually even enjoy VII (which I've managed to find just one this weekend) or VIII? I have to agree these games do seem a bit overrated but that doesn't mean they plain suck. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are overrated and they rock.[/QUOTE]

I can't say that FF7/8 seem especially similar to your mentioned titles... but given the 'landmark' status of FF7, you should pick it up and try it if you find it for under what it Ebays for these days. If you like it, great. if you don't, at least you've tried it out and have a reference to work from when the Cloud/Sepi fangirls threaten to claw your eyes out. (And you should be able to sell it for cost+shipping and get your money back pretty easy.)

Based solely on your list (I like several of those, too) I'd recommend Jade Empire, Fable: The Lost Chapters, and maybe even Dragon Quest VIII.

bread's done
Back