Flu Shots

QiG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Anyone getting flu and H1N1 shots this year? I normally don't, but my mom called insisting I get the h1n1. I brushed it off as media hype but she said she's bug me about it until I get it. Is it worth bothering for?

I would recommend reading up on it and make your own decision. Here is just one recent news article I found. The idea of a live virus kinda bothers me personally. IMHO I would not do it and am not going to do it.

[quote name='CHARYODA']Please don't fall for the media BS. The normal flu is more deadly than h1n1 so just man up and get on with your life.[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth. The death to infected ratio is MUCH higher with regular flu compared to H1N1. Hundreds of thousands die each year from the regular flu, why doesn't that get as much media coverage?

As far as a shot goes.. The one time I have caught the flu in the past few years was when I got the flu shot. I will take my chances this year.

I read about half of that until i realized it was prison planet.#-o

Already got the seasonal shot, will get the other when the shot is available.

Look up what happened in 1976 when that iteration of the swine flu had mass vaccines.

Allow me to sum it up for the lazy: it was not good. The program started around October 1. On Dec. 16, with reports of the vaccine causing neurological problems, the government suspended the vaccination program, after inoculating 40 million people for a flu that never came.

PS: Last I heard, the same company who made the first swine flu vaccine is the same one doing it today! Comforting, right?

[quote name='pimpster4183']vaccination shots = controlled killing[/QUOTE]

thats what i believe. honestly you dont know whats in those things and from what i can tell you might as well just catch the flu and get over it naturally then get injected with mystery fluids.

[quote name='Scorch']This man speaks the truth. The death to infected ratio is MUCH higher with regular flu compared to H1N1. Hundreds of thousands die each year from the regular flu, why doesn't that get as much media coverage?

As far as a shot goes.. The one time I have caught the flu in the past few years was when I got the flu shot. I will take my chances this year.[/QUOTE]

I got it as well when I actually got a flu shot. I'm doing the same thing as you. I think you are better off without one.

I get the flu shot every year. Already got my seasonal flu shot in mid-september. Will get the H1N1 when it's available as well.

I'm not extra worried about H1N1. Just want to be sure I avoid it as well as getting the flu is a major pain in the ass as it tends to give me a sinus infection and flare up my asthma on top of the regular symptoms.

And getting sick is just a pain in generaly when you have a job where your work piles up when you have to take a sick day, or are less productive while feeling crappy etc. And I'm pretty wussy about being sick in general.

So I'll get any vaccine I can get to avoid flus, colds (if they ever have one) etc.

I would say no. I've only gotten a flu vaccine once in my life, and I'm pretty sure it got me sick. I didn't get sick with the flu(I don't think so at least) but I felt like dying for a few days after the shot.

I can't believe you guys. Are you seriously thinking that flu shots contain some sort of evil mystery fluids that can kill you? I'm surprised you get internet service down in your underground bunkers with all that tin foil on your heads.

I usually don't, just because I don't want to pay for it. Plus, I almost never get influenza anyway. (I catch a cold once every winter season.)

The few times I got the shot was when my school paid for them. My employer will pay for them too, but I have to wait to be reimbursed (and find a place giving the shots). Think I'm just gonna "risk it".

The H1N1 vaccine available in our area is a nasal spray that contains live virus.

How could that POSSIBLY go wrong?
/sarcasm

I never get flu shots. But a manager at work convinced me to get one. My shoulder was sore as fuck for 3 days.

I wish I didn't get it. I would rather have got the flu and made a vacation out of it. That's how you really know you hate your job.

I got the flu shot for the first time yesterday just because I work around a lot of sick people and if I happen to get the flu, the shot will at least help shorten the duration of it. I haven't had any side effects from it other than my arm having a tingly feeling after I got home.

The government uses flu shots to control the minds of it's citizens!!!!

But seriously I will probably get it to keep from missing any school.

[quote name='chakan']The H1N1 vaccine available in our area is a nasal spray that contains live virus.

How could that POSSIBLY go wrong?
/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

All the nasal spray flu vaccines contain weakend, live viruses. The shots contain dead viruses. It's not a new thing for H1N1.

I go to school with a bunch of latinos in a swine flu infested area...For sure I'm getting the swine flu shot.

For medical reasons, I'm skipping the flu shot. I'm one of those rare people who actually gets sick within 24 hours after getting a flu shot. So not only do I get the flu that the shot is supposed to be preventing, but it usually makes me sick for 3-4 weeks afterwards.

And as for swine flu, its probably too late for me to get a shot. I've already been exposed to it. Someone in our department this weekend came down with it. Plus there have been three other people in our building who contracted it over the summer.

I really never get why people get so bent out of shape over voluntary vaccinations. Either get one or don't.

The government should promote it (but not require it for stuff like the flu) as the more people who get it, the less the disease spreads and hits people who are at risk, less people going to doctors and raising medical and insurance costs etc.

Concern about the forthcoming vaccine is understandable and centers on the experience during the 1976-77 flu season. That's when a swine flu outbreak at Fort Dix, N.J., led the federal government to expedite vaccine production. Some 40 million people were vaccinated, including President Gerald R. Ford, by the time Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), a rare neurological disorder, was identified as a side effect.

For 40 Million people to be vaccinated before knowing all the side effects is not acceptable. The only reason they didn't know was because they rushed to get a vaccine, just like what is going on right now.

Don't get the shot. My step-brother went into the military 1 month ago and received the H1N1 shot and he caught swine flu and then pneumonia and died.

[quote name='wybo_a']Don't get the shot. My step-brother went into the military 1 month ago and received the H1N1 shot and he caught swine flu and then pneumonia and died.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. That's unfortunate. I bet without the pneumonia following the flu, he probably would have been fine.

Going back to the flu shot though, it's basic science. Our body needs to know how to fight it. If it doesn't, well that's where ^ happens. That's why it's important to give us a chance to build the antibodies with a mild version, crippled weakened one.

People will get sick with the flu shot, but most will just get a headache, and maybe a light cold, but all bodies are different. Even with an immunity, if something worst comes along to complicate it like ^ then really it's rough to fight on two fronts.

I've basically concluded that I'm definitely not in need of the H1N1 (27 years old and generally pretty healthy) and I'm still not sure on the seasonal flu. Shots don't bother me and it'd only be $5 to get it done at work but I just don't feel like I need it.

I get them and pneumonia shots (one every 5 years) because I have severe asthma and all the doctors hound on me to do so, so, I do.

No problems. They just need a bronchitis shot :wall:

Even more surprising is that world leaders do not just come to cheapassgamer.com for greater knowledge of the virus, vaccines, and generally any political problem. Hell, we already have everything figured out.

For all we know, Cheapy is really Obama using the site for free advice.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I can't believe you guys. Are you seriously thinking that flu shots contain some sort of evil mystery fluids that can kill you? I'm surprised you get internet service down in your underground bunkers with all that tin foil on your heads.[/QUOTE]

I have got one every year for the last nine years or so. I do this out of sense of obligation to the people around me, as I used to frequently spend time with two elderly (As on over 85) judges, and I do a lot of volunteer driving for the elderly.

Keeping myself from possibly getting full blown symptoms is a side benefit. Hopefully, by getting the vaccine, I'm less likely to make /other people sick./ But hey, I know lots of people don't particularly care about that. I also know that a lot of people don't realize that they could have very very mild symptoms, and never develop what they personally consider 'the flu,' while happily spreading influenza virus to other people. Again, that's your choice.

I've gotten one all but 1 year out of the past 10+ years. The one year I didn't I got a terrible flu, high fever, coughing, hacking etc. and almost ended up in the hospital. I swore to never miss another year after that.

And like you, I don't want to spread it even if it was mild for me. And with teaching etc. I have contact with lots of students, fellow professors etc. so a bug can spread like wildfire.

Never got one, never had the flu.

But then again, I'm rarely sick. I missed one day of high school due to drinking old iced tea and one day of work due to eating a bad meatball sub.

I've always had respiratory problems, not asthma, but allergies and things like that. Usually once or twice a year i'll get some sort of respiratory infection. Last couple of weeks it was bronchitis. I just don't want to risk getting the flu.

I haven't been sick in about five years, and I worked at a kids toy store for two years and still didn't get sick. So no, I'm not getting these flu/h1n1 shots just due to me never getting sick.

[quote name='howlinmad']Even more surprising is that world leaders do not just come to cheapassgamer.com for greater knowledge of the virus, vaccines, and generally any political problem. Hell, we already have everything figured out.

For all we know, Cheapy is really Obama using the site for free advice.[/QUOTE]

OMG, that WOULD be awesome if we could elect people to make decisions for us who take input from their constituents! ;) Kidding aside, amonst the sea of degenerate videogamers on this site we actually have some pretty intelligent members that it doesn't hurt to draw upon once in awhile. :cool:

[quote name='life.exe']I haven't been sick in about five years, and I worked at a kids toy store for two years and still didn't get sick. So no, I'm not getting these flu/h1n1 shots just due to me never getting sick.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been shot in about five years, and I worked as a cop in Liberty City for two years and still didn't get shot. So no, I'm not wearing these bullet-proof vests just due to me never getting shot.

Hmm... doesn't sound much smarter that way either.

I've never gotten a flu shot, and I don't intend to start... in 26 years, I've had the flu twice- once when I was 2 and don't remember, once when I was a junior in high school- put me out for about 2 weeks, but basically felt like a really nasty cold.

Basically, you have to go off how your system reacts to things... if you haven't needed them in the past, you probably don't now- H1N1 spreads just like the normal flu, it's not like there's extra chance of exposure- actually, I'd imagine there's less with people running around paranoid and coating themselves in tissues and waterless sanitizer.

In NY all health care providers are *required* to get both the flu vaccine and the h1n1 vaccine by Nov 30th or be fired. State law was passed in the middle of the night as an "emergency action"

I will be getting the flu vaccine tomorrow morning. Working with 150 kids/day, I tend to get the flu or hardcore sick 2-3 times a year. Anything I can do to help reduce the risk of getting sick, I'm game. I'm going to wait on the H1N1 vaccine as long as possible. First, I don't believe it's been tested to the normal extent. Second, I have a crappy immune system with chronic asthma and I always get sick from weakened live virus.

[quote name='Chika'] Second, I have a crappy immune system with chronic asthma and I always get sick from weakened live virus.[/QUOTE]

If the H1N1 shot is available in your area (and not just the nasal vaccine) it has a dead virus just like the regular flu shot.

I'm not sure it's available anywhere, just read about the difference between the two (nasal vs. shot) the other day.

bread's done
Back