Fold! Fold! Fold! Use that PC to cure disease. :)

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I just discovered Folding@Home and really love the idea of helping cure diseases with spare processing power. I've already built one machine for folding 24/7 and am working on number two.

For those unfamiliar with what folding is, you can read about it here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

I figure it was worth making a fresh post here in hopes of inspiring some folks to install the program and contribute. There is a nice overview and link to installation guides here: http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/763858-right-client-me.html

Someone already set up a CAG folding team, so if you want your numbers to count towards the team total, just download the newest client here: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease and enter 56566 in the "team" box during installation, then let it fly. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is old school.. If im not mistaked we had a group on here years ago that were obsessed with this...

edit- didnt read your entire post but yea.. i see the gar group there..

Guess the stats reset at a point since I used to be high up there

Whether it's a repost or not it's still a worthwhile cause to bring to peoples attention that might not have heard about this the first time around.

While the concept is awesome, running a system at full load 100% of the time has consequences.

Lets assume very low estimates of a 150W usage, and cheap $0.10, a kWh. That's $11 a month on your electricity bill, or $132 a year.

At a more moderate 250W, at $0.15 here (rounded down, and if you don't go over a certain amount a month), that's $27 a month, or $324 a year.

On top of this, the higher the temperature, the faster your hardware will degrade....

I used to run Fold@Home, but no more.

[quote name='LordVila']Whether it's a repost or not it's still a worthwhile cause to bring to peoples attention that might not have heard about this the first time around.[/QUOTE]I never claimed that bringing it back up again wasn't a good idea, though I wanted to link to the original thread so people can see how long it's been going on for.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Seriously. Who gave the thread one star? You hurt my feelings. :([/QUOTE]Five-star it right back. Wasn't me who did it, as I didn't rate the thread.

[quote name='elessar123']While the concept is awesome, running a system at full load 100% of the time has consequences.

Lets assume very low estimates of a 150W usage, and cheap $0.10, a kWh. That's $11 a month on your electricity bill, or $132 a year.

At a more moderate 250W, at $0.15 here (rounded down, and if you don't go over a certain amount a month), that's $27 a month, or $324 a year.
[/QUOTE]

It's really not a fair comparison for most folks who leave their PC's on 24/7 anyway. The difference between a PC at idle and a PC at full load is closer to 50-100 watts. Do the calculations that way and the program actually ends up costing $60-140-ish annually.

Of course this is more than $0.00, and it does take electricity to push these demanding calculations, but that's the whole point..and it's why they need average people to chip in for the project, since there is no conceivable way of building a computer powerful enough to run the program on it's own. Everyone who runs F@H is called a "donor" for a reason. ;) They are donating some extra electricity and cpu cycles for a good cause. If there is a chance my humble systems can improve humanity, I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks on the monthly bill.

I think everyone who does it knows doing that costs some money. It's basically agreeing to donate some electricity and wear and tear on their computer for the cause.

Edit: just saw Capitalizt posted the same thing--that's what I get for not reading the whole thread before replying!

[quote name='elessar123']A team running a rack server would be more cost efficient.[/QUOTE]

Want to volunteer? ;) I'd donate a few bucks for a folding project if there were some guarantee that it would be used for that purpose.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Want to volunteer? ;) I'd donate a few bucks for a folding project if there were some guarantee that it would be used for that purpose.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Electricity costs jump like 2-3x after you use like 600 kWh.

What I meant was, F@H and SETI should have just taken donations for servers. It'd get more done, at less cost.

If it doesn't involve getting a boner so hard you can pound nails through a 2x4 with it, it'll never get cured. Accept it. Move on.

My computer is busy trying to find alien intelligence in its spare time. I figure the aliens can tell us how to cure everything.

bread's done
Back