Foolish To Buy Xbox Now?

lordwow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey guys,

I'm very strongly considering buying an XBox in the next few weeks, as I don't have a gaming system other than my computer, and I've got a lot of free time this summer. My question to you guys I guess is if you think right now is a foolish time to buy an Xbox... there's the possibility of a price drop coming up, but probably not for several months, and obviously the XBox2 is coming out, but I won't have that sort of cash lying around when it comes out.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

- Lordwow

Get it.....a price drop will probably not happen. Maybe when XBOX 2 is released (supposedly for XMAS rush...we'll see)

It's a GREAT system.

Xbox IS a great system, but my opinion is if you've waited this long, at least wait another month. The big E3 show is May 17-20. Aside from news of Xbox 2, if there are going to be any major announcements about the future of the current Xbox, that's when it'll be.

I like the Xbox too, but keep in mind there are not going to be much support next year. MS hasn't announce any first party games after this year.

[quote name='62t']I like the Xbox too, but keep in mind there are not going to be much support next year. MS hasn't announce any first party games after this year.[/QUOTE]
yeah they have....halo 3 duh...:)(sarcasm intended)

well if you have money to chuck sure why not....nothing cant beat drake and the 99 dragons...greeeeeaaatttt gaammeee.

I have a nice Ninja Gaiden i could let go of. I might even have a guide laying around for it if you decide to make the jump.

you might as well just wait...unless the xbox drops to 100 bucks i dont see a reason to buy it...well that is if you have money to throw around and get a refurbished one...why the hell not..its fun for the whole family!

I would wait till E3. If the XBox 2 is backwards compatable and offers the live service for older xbox1 titles as well (very wishful thinking, but if it happens, great) then your better off putting your money towards an XBox2 and enjoying the wealth of both systems.

But if that's not the case, and XBox 2 only plays XBox 2 games, I would buy an XBox shortly after E3.

Just wait for the E3 announcement.

Unless you're one of those people who need to get every new gadget, and don't mind spending $300+ for an unproven console and $50+ for each new game... then, I suggest getting a new XBox now, if you can find one.

Maybe wait until E3... but, I think it's unlikely there will be a price drop until XBox 360 is released by Xmas. The best I could see is a drop to $129 this summer... but Microsoft has no need to do that since there's still a large demand.

I think this is the best time to get a console. There's a huge selection of cheap games that you haven't played... and there's still new games out there for a while.

I got my XBox at the end of February, and I'm not regretting it.

From my perspective, I wont be first in line to get an Xbox Next when it comes out next Xmas. I think I will wait awhile until its (Xbox Next's) price will drop.

So if you are a first-adopter of consoles, I recommend waiting. If you are like me, then I recommend getting an Xbox then..

I'll jump on the "wait until after E3" bandwagon here. If XBox 2 has backwards compatibility you may as well wait.

Personally, I'll probably never buy another system at launch. Bought a Dreamcast on launch day, and before long the price dropped. Bought and XBox on launch day and..what, 3-4 months later there was a price drop? Never again. I'm not that impatient.

My thought was the same as almost everyone who has posted. Wait until after E3. I guess that is a month away so if it's worth it to you to maybe spend $50 more and have it a month earlier than just get it now. Up to you. It's also very possible no drop will happen...

Last price drop for the Xbox happened at E3, if memory serves.

Might be a safe bet this time around as well. I can see it hitting the $129 price point, with XBox Next/360/WTF They're Calling It to be around the $300 mark. Might be a knee-jerk reaction to Sony doing the same thing.

Price and availability won't make an Xbox 2 an issue for you over the summer, so it doesn't matter if it plays existing games or not. That leaves a price drop as the sole motivating factor. On that you need to ask yourself how soon you want the setup installed in your home. If you wouldn't get much chance to play it between now and late May, then you are losing anything to wait and see if the price improves. If you have lots of freet time for games already, then a price drop is unlikely to be such a large amount as to make a month of boredom acceptable.

Thus, if you have time to start using it immediately, get it now. If not, wait until that period of free time is imminent.

[quote name='epobirs']Price and availability won't make an Xbox 2 an issue for you over the summer, so it doesn't matter if it plays existing games or not. That leaves a price drop as the sole motivating factor. On that you need to ask yourself how soon you want the setup installed in your home. If you wouldn't get much chance to play it between now and late May, then you are losing anything to wait and see if the price improves. If you have lots of freet time for games already, then a price drop is unlikely to be such a large amount as to make a month of boredom acceptable.

Thus, if you have time to start using it immediately, get it now. If not, wait until that period of free time is imminent.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that's pretty much the motivating factor, I'm here at my University over the summer break, and everyone starts leaving at the end of this week, so I'm going to have a bulk of free time until about June. Based on that and a lot of comments, I think I will be buying the XBox, as a price drop is probably not in the near future (30 days... which I'd be able to pricematch anyway) And I have the money for it now, and I won't have enough money to buy an XBox2, with the expensive games, whereas I can afford a 150 XBox1 and the cheaper games with all the deals on the site.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

- Lordwow

official press release states that there making xbox games well into 2007, so if the new xbox 2 isnt backwards compatible, its amust buy, if not then see the price differences

[quote name='evanft']Wait. The system and games will likely fall considerably in the fall.[/QUOTE]

System will fall to 99$ pretty sure, but games I doubt

its hard to find used XBOX games around me (only the 2 pawn shops and the used game store...) but.. consoles have been sold out everywhere for a long long time now.

[quote name='8ballGuy']System will fall to 99$ pretty sure, but games I doubt[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt it...

The demand is still high. Microsoft has made it difficult to find new XBoxes for a reason.

They are still selling well at $149. Why change?

[quote name='Ozzkev55']official press release states that there making xbox games well into 2007, so if the new xbox 2 isnt backwards compatible, its amust buy, if not then see the price differences[/QUOTE]

I was glad to see that, but companies ALWAYS say that before their next-gen system comes out to try to make people think they aren't abandoning it so sales stay as strong as possible. Sega did that when they abandoned the Dreamcast after a miniscule amount of time (although they ended up not doing any more consoles). There were these supposedly great DC games on track for release in 2001 (Shenmue II, Half-Life, etc). Sega managed to appease everyone calling for their heads by insisting that great new games would continue throughout the year. I didn't buy it then, and I think most people with a brain didn't, but I guess there were enough people that believed them. And almost all of the games with any name value or interest had the plug pulled and were either cancelled or moved to another system.

I'd bet that you're not going to see that much noteworthy stuff on the XBox after Summer 2006. And by the time XMas 2006 rolls around it'll probably be down to licensed kiddie games and stuff as MS pushes people to jump to the new console.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I was glad to see that, but companies ALWAYS say that before their next-gen system comes out to try to make people think they aren't abandoning it so sales stay as strong as possible. Sega did that when they abandoned the Dreamcast after a miniscule amount of time (although they ended up not doing any more consoles). There were these supposedly great DC games on track for release in 2001 (Shenmue II, Half-Life, etc). Sega managed to appease everyone calling for their heads by insisting that great new games would continue throughout the year. I didn't buy it then, and I think most people with a brain didn't, but I guess there were enough people that believed them. And almost all of the games with any name value or interest had the plug pulled and were either cancelled or moved to another system.

I'd bet that you're not going to see that much noteworthy stuff on the XBox after Summer 2006. And by the time XMas 2006 rolls around it'll probably be down to licensed kiddie games and stuff as MS pushes people to jump to the new console.[/QUOTE]

same thing happened to PSone but not so rapidly (it had games trickling out for 2 years after it was passed).. I expect if XB 2 is compatable with the first one.. especially if all are live compat. that all the cool live games (halo 2..) and besides.. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are amazing games that will sale systems like FF 7 did (does).. its stupid for microsoft not to streamline everything. absolutely stupid.

its also stupid for them to lower the price (well a 20 dollar cut could happen but not a 50 dollar cut... ) I really honestly think that 2004 was Xbox's year.. this year has kind of been a disappointment (really Jade Empire is the only noteworthy thing so far.. GC has had at least 3, i'm thinking RE 4, and Jungle Beat.) but its still early.. I'm not going to give up my xbox anytime soon there will still be some great games to "back track" on that will be readily avaliable till 2007...

Rob

Well, even if no new games are released, there are enough games out to justify owning an Xbox. Really, it comes down to how much does $20-$30 mean to your pocket book? You can get systems for $150 right now. It might fall to $120 in May, I don't think it'll fall all the way to $99. So, if it does fall, is it going to eat you alive? If so, wait until after E3.

If you can live with it, it's not a bad time to be an Xbox owner. I love mine, and just imagine, having access to
Ninja Gaiden
Halo
Halo 2
Kotor
Kotor 2
Shenmue II
Panzer Dragoon Orta.
Morrowind GOTY

That list alone makes the system worth owning, let alone the tons of other games and future releases.

Yeah, just go ahead and get it. With the strong possibility of the next Xbox not being backwards compatible, I would pick one of these up new while you can.

I'd bet that you're not going to see that much noteworthy stuff on the XBox after Summer 2006. And by the time XMas 2006 rolls around it'll probably be down to licensed kiddie games and stuff as MS pushes people to jump to the new console.

And sports games.

EA still had Madden and FIFA 2005 for PS1. They may even have them again for 2006.

Just to let everyone know, I purchased an XBox, and I love it. Playing Halo2 and X-Men Legends, and it was definatly worth the money! :)

- Lordwow

The supposed Xbox shortage only seems to apply to certain retailers. I was in Costco yesterday and they had about three dozen of their bundles packages. This is the Xbox, second controller, DVD remote and receiver, KOTOR and KOTOR players guide, all for $209. A very reasonable price.

I wanted to bump this in case anyone has heard of a price drop coming soon. I'm in the same boat where I don't know if I should purchase an XBOX now or not.

[quote name='ZForce915']I wanted to bump this in case anyone has heard of a price drop coming soon. I'm in the same boat where I don't know if I should purchase an XBOX now or not.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft already loses money on each console sold. They make up that loss via software. Since software for the xbox will dry up as we shift to xbox 2, theres less chances to make back that dough off of you so a $50 price drop is incredibly unlikely.

*Maybe* it will drop to $129 as Shrike says. To me not having to wait 2 months or more, then having to find one of the darn things to buy (hard enough now, imagine when a price cut is announced!) is worth $21 alone. Plus, think about what $21 is these days. Skip going to 2 craptastic hollywood movies or forget an apetizer and dessert at applebees/tgifridays/insert crappy chain here. If you got only a mere 4 hours, FOUR, of entertainment out of it over the 2 months, it would be about $5 an hour, a very fair cost for entertainment. And Id bet my legs you ll get WAY more than 4 hours out of it over the next month to two months.

P.s. For all you ultra cheap souls who do wait, good luck and god bless your quest to find one then. Its bad enough now, I dont want to imagine when a price drop is announced. (especially if E3 shows the X360 wont be backwards compatable. A lot of older xbox-ers will be rebuying systems if thats the case)

As the others are writing, wait until E3 (or the week before E3) when we find out if the 360 will be BC. If BC is announced, I'd wait and spend my money on the 360 (although a BC announcement would cause a flood of used Xboxes on eBay, lowering the price if you must play Xbox games sooner). If it won't be BC, I don't think the used price or availability will be affected. E3 is right around the corner.

[quote name='guessed']As the others are writing, wait until E3 (or the week before E3) when we find out if the 360 will be BC. If BC is announced, I'd wait and spend my money on the 360 (although a BC announcement would cause a flood of used Xboxes on eBay, lowering the price if you must play Xbox games sooner). If it won't be BC, I don't think the used price or availability will be affected. E3 is right around the corner.[/QUOTE]
come E3, Im hoping to be able to sell my PS2, if the PS3 is indeed BC, i wont sell my xbox, because im paying for live, But come september, its outta there

Yeah, I'll sell one of my XBOX's regardless when XBOX 2 comes out. I have two....had a bunch of credit from GameRush, picked it up free to me. I also have the GREEN HALO LE XBOX. So I may keep that, unless there is a demand for it on EBAY or something. If I could get $100 mroe for it, I might sell it.

bread's done
Back