Footy Fans on the PS3, rejoice! PE2008 with PS3 as lead sku, football is back.

nyprimus4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
Release Date: October 26th, 2007 (Simultaneously for next and current gen)

proevo08fs4.jpg

Far more control is promised when dribbling, including some new tricks to help beat defenders.

The major new feature is a new adaptive AI system entitled 'Teamvision' will be implemented into the game, Teamvision is a sophisticated AI programming that learns and adapts according to an individual's style of play. As such, it will learn new ways to build attacks and to counter specific movements and previous attacking or defensive errors, ensuring games are more in line with the tactical but flowing nature of the real thing.

An extensive edit mode has been added to the next gen versions which was lacking in PES 6 on the Xbox 360.

adrianofo1.jpg

So finally we are getting a proper next-gen version of Pro Evo. I used to love this game on original Xbox but the 360 version was lacking. We're getting even more improved AI, graphics comparble to Fifa and customization options of current-gen iterations of Pro Evo(which means rosters more complete then Fifa will be available a couple weeks after release).

Once the game is released PS3 owners, which there should be even more by early November we can start up a CAG league.

Customization

16354337tg1.jpg

Extensive customization options

88174107xf1.jpg

Setting custom playlists for menus, highlights, etc.

86166380bu1.jpg

Importing pictures to edit players similar to Tiger Woods 08

16482549jh3.jpg

More extensive customization

No, I must be some kind of NFL and MLB player. Soccer is completly lame IMHO. I've tried to watch it but just can't get into it. College and NFL football whip the llama's ass!

College soccer is actually very awesome, 2 hours for a game of constant action vs 4 hours for a college football game (I still go and this year we may actually win a game that isn't against Duke).

Back on topic, the whole AI adjusting to playing style seems like it will either rock or turn out very sketchy. Does it say anywhere how many people can play in one online game, it would be awesome if you could have a big game where every player could potentially be controlled by a person (to me that's what will make next gen sports games next gen).

IMO,football is lame.Baseball,so-so.I was thinking of getting FIFA 08 since it comes at the end of Sept.,early October but if Pro Evo. comes out in Oct. 28,I'll just wait.I LOVE the gameplay Pro Evolution has.I'm pretty sure FIFA 08 has the feature where every single player is playing on player so there is 22 but how would the goalkeeprs work?[quote name='Chitown021']No, I must be some kind of NFL and MLB player. Soccer is completly lame IMHO. I've tried to watch it but just can't get into it. College and NFL football whip the llama's ass![/quote]

Awesome, can't wait.
PE is by far, IMO at least, the best soccer game out there. FIFA's one advantage, their license, isn't even much of an advantage anymore.

I haven't played a soccer game since WE7 (satisfied me plenty). Maybe this will be the one that makes me upgrade...

I don't think this thread needs a discussion about whether or not one of you likes soccer. If you don't like soccer and are not interested in PE2008 just click back.

Anyway, I am crazy excited for this game to come out. I got the 360 version of the last one when it came out and bought a year's worth of xbox live just because I wanted to play WE online. Too bad the lag killed any joy of it.

Great gameplay + updated graphics + good online support (?) = win

I hope they really put some effort into 2008, some of the early PE2008 shots from the 360 version look similar to last year's effort. Hopefully at least the PS3 version is better.

I had a blast with WE9 on Xbox back when it came out. I wish I knew more of the teams and who's on them. I wound up playing a Celtic (I think) because they had a cool name & uniforms.

EDIT - Also, is this set for both the 360 and PS3? I didn't see any mention in the original post.

I know some of the Euro's and Aussie's I work with (whom already have 360's) are buying PS3's just for this game. The feel that it always played betteron PS2 then xbox 1, and they thought it sucked on 360 last year. They have blind faith it will be great on PS3 this fall. So if these guys are representative of footy fans, this game could actually be a system seller.

~S

What killed the 360 version was the absence of the edit mode. Playing with some of the teams without their real names is really disturbing, but thank god it's back.

Probably but be aware that I guess what you would classify as an "alpha" build of the 360 version has been reported to have FPS problems.

Assuming, the game won't be region locked. I wonder if there would be any issues importing a Euro version to play on an NTSC tv? I am sure it would be fine on HDTV, but NTSC is fairly different that PAL... Or does the ps3 handle that internally?

Has anyone played a Euro version of something on a NA PS3?

~S

Sorry PE guys but i think I'm going Fifa. Watching gameplay videos it looks like Fifa has caught up in gameplay and the graphics are undeniably better which means a lot this gen.

I got the European version of PES 2008 earlier this week and for those of you worried about region compatibility, don't worry..it works fine on N.A PS3's. Here's a brief rundown after playing several matches:

The graphics have been improved a bit for this year's version. Some of the players look alot like the real life players while others need some work done, player animations are stellar as usual, the edit mode is back which is needed for this game in order to rename all of the clubs that have fake names (specially the clubs from the English Premier League since Newcastle and Tottenham are the only officially licensed clubs from England available in the game) Spanish, French and Dutch leagues are the ones that are fully licensed.

The biggest problem with this game is the framerate...specially during replays. My god, replays and goal celebrations are a total chopfest. It's bad to the point were you want to avoid them at all cost....even if you score a great looking goal that you want to see over and over again. Oh, and yes the menus still look ugly.

I can't say anything about the online play since I haven't tried it out yet but from what I've read on the net it's pretty laggy. Konami is aware of this since they have posted a message that pops up when you select the online mode stating that they are working on improving the problems with the online play.

Another thing that I noticed about playing online is that you need to input a registration code that is required for network play. It's located on the back of the instruction manual.

Other than the framerate issues, I'm having lots of fun with this game. If you enjoy football (or soccer) you can't go wrong with PES 2008.

I'm holding out...but think I will grab Fifa this year instead of my annual PES. I love PES, but after watching video reviews and hearing from a few friends overseas I might have to make the switch.

FIFA runs at 60fps too, not 12.

It really is too bad, as I really thought this game could have been a system seller. Even thought it is multi-platform, more PES hardcores are dpad only, and won't play it on 360 or 180. I know two of my co-workers were going to buy a PS3 just for this game. After word of its issues, one just went ahead and bought a 360, and the other is going to get it for PS2.

~S

The demo was a bummer. I spent some time with WE9 on the Xbox and this looks and feels pretty much the same. There's really no compelling reason to buy a new version.

[quote name='mofo1115']ugh I guess I will be in the minority on this one and still go out and get it

I really hope they fix online play[/QUOTE]

I might still get it just because I prefer the PS style pads for sports games over Xbox/360 pads but I'll be waiting until it drops to 20-30. Then again, if I'm going to be waiting, maybe I should just wait until 2009 (hopefully) improves upon this one.

bread's done
Back