For the PC speaker experts :)

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Hi guys,

This is probably going to be a fairly remedial question but it's one I've not been able to find the answer to online very easily (or clearly).

I'm about to purchase new speakers for my PC; going again with Klipsch.. 2.1's this time.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMe...F8&qid=1364246661&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+2.1

My HDTV is also my computer monitor, so I'm wondering if I need special hardware to also make my TV play through these speakers. A simple solution would be the most ideal one for me (rather than having to switch plugs around). Or is there a better multimedia speaker system route to go?

I've been gaming for two decades, but I've never really clear on how to get everything going through one set of shared speakers. I suppose it would be fair to say that I am in no way an audiophile :) If it helps, I have a modern gaming PC (built last year). And my TV has HDMI ports and a headphone jack.

Thanks for any suggestions!

well if you dont get a receiver (which is an expensive yet the best way to go) then simply connecting your speakers to your tvs audio out port will do. I happen to have a 3.5mm audio out on my tv. I use that and mute my tv volume so that the tv speakers dont play.

I have this setup in my room and dont have room for a receiver. It works fine and I am happy with it, it plays audio from all sources this way. If your tv doesn't have a 3.5 audio out then you will simply have to get an adapter. I rec monoprice.com

I got the Yamaha YHT-397, Its $100 more then that but GLORIOUS. All I am seeing is speaker cable connections lol def. get 16AWG, but if it has a headphone jack... you can use a splitter and then extensions to plug it into both PC & TV at once, though it will decrease volume overhead by like 15% or so.

Assuming your TV has audio inputs and outputs... just go from the audio out on your computer to the audio in on your TV, then connect the speakers to the audio output on your tv.

There's no need for a receiver as those speakers are already amped.

receivers aren't that expensive if you buy them used off ebay/craigslist. because everyone wants to update to the newest stuff you can usually get some good deals.

iirc the klipsch 2.1 set is good for near-field, like sitting at a computer desk but terrible for something like sitting on your couch and watching TV. you might want to stick with the TV speakers for watching TV.

I use those speakers on my HDTV. I used to have klipsch 5.1s + receiver, but swapped those with the 2.1s i had at my pc. I see no need for you to get the receiver since they are powered and no need for Dolby decoding since they are only 2.1(that's the reason why I swapped, needed the decoding at my desk where i like to use my consoles), unless there is another feature on a more advanced receiver you want. My tv is in my game room (which isn't very big), and those speakers sound great imo. I just use the 3.5 stereo to plug them in, and everything works fine. I have a htpc plugged into my tv and there is nothing special to switch to get them working. The hdmi passes the sound to the tv and the tv to the speakers.

Thanks to all of you guys/gals -- this clarifies quite a bit. I was really excited about 5.1 back in the late nineties/early 2000's and then.. all of a sudden.. I stopped caring about it. I think I got sick of all of the wires. A good sounding 2.1 system (with some nice bass) is fine for my ears.

bread's done
Back