For Washington D.C. area CAGs: How is the cost of living?

Akuma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I got offered a job in the D.C. metro area but I keep hearing that to live around the city is super expensive. Could anyone that lives in the area or has been there recently clue me in as to what it is like. Maybe some examples of what certain items cost. For example; where I live now milk is $2.00-$2.40 and gas is $1.70-$1.85. I understand why it would be so expensive with all the law makers, lobbyists, etc. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Akuma']I got offered a job in the D.C. metro area but I keep hearing that to live around the city is super expensive. Could anyone that lives in the area or has been there recently clue me in as to what it is like. Maybe some examples of what certain items cost. For example; where I live now milk is $2.00-$2.40 and gas is $1.70-$1.85. I understand why it would be so expensive with all the law makers, lobbyists, etc. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Alexandria is still pretty cheap, but kind of a trek from DC. If you look around long enough for a place in Arlington you can find a one bedroom for a little under $1000 monthly. There is a real estate boom going on that totally sucks if you're trying to find a place to live. Other then that, if you can commute by metro then just get a place in the burbs that's within walking distance to a metro station.

The parking costs are super-high in Washington DC proper, and if you don't want to live in the ghetto it's pretty darn expensive.

Gas is about 1.80 - 1.94 (I think) in north VA. Milk is $3.19 (lucky for you I just went to the grocery)

Housing costs are insane, but in general most things aren't that high. If you work in DC and want to drive expect to pay $10+ a day in parking. Metro is more expensive than most other cities' mass transit, but still a lot better than driving. The traffic is insane anyway; D.C. has the second-worst traffic in the country behind L.A. according to studies. But yeah, the biggest problem in cost of living is going to be housing, no doubt. I don't know milk costs off the top of my head and last time I got gas IIRC is was $1.81.

bread's done
Back