Forgotten Gems

Pikagreg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
My brothers girlfriend recently got an old ps1 from a neighbor and as I was looking for my folder of games (really wish I kept my stuff in better condition when I was a kid) I found a copy of The Misadventures of Tronn Bonne. I forgot how much I loved this game when it first game out.

I was a huge Megaman Legends fan and I remember buying Tronn Bonne out of impulse seeing it at a game center. I loved servbots and how each and every one of them had their own personality and cuteness to them.

What are some of your forgotten gems?

Rocky Rodent tops my list. I hated when kids at school who had heard of it would say it was a Sonic ripoff for the SNES. I thought it was original enough, if not a bit cheesy, and the gameplay was fun. I remember it took me forever to beat the game, too.

Gain Ground on the Genesis. One of the most strategic co-op games of that generation. Also one of the first Genesis games.

The original Toe Jam and Earl was one of my favorite co-op Genesis games when I was a kid. Although the second one was fun, I enjoyed the open gameplay of the first one lol. Also Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Goof Troop had awesome co-op^^

^Yeah I loved Breath of Fire as well :) Anyone ever play Machine Hunter on ps1? It got horrible reviews but me and my bro had a blast with it back in the day. It was one of my first ps1 games.

I picked up the Sonic's Sega Genesis Collection for the PS3 recently, and have begun playing the original Phantasy Star. By today's standards the graphics are primitive. But stacking it up to NES RPGs makes it quite visually impressive. Probably what has aged the most is the translation. (they did not do solid localizations back then) Still, I am enjoying the experience, and the save-anywhere system is definitely a welcome addition. We'll see how this classic series holds up.

Some of my favorite cult-classic gems that nobody really played/heard of -- excluding rare/valuable stuff:
Mario's Picross - Game Boy
King's Bounty - Genesis
Space Griffon - PSone
Everblue 2 - PS2

[quote name='ViolentLee']Some of my favorite cult-classic gems that nobody really played/heard of -- excluding rare/valuable stuff:
Mario's Picross - Game Boy[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have enjoyed this through the downloadable packs on Picross DS.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']A lot of people have enjoyed this through the downloadable packs on Picross DS.[/QUOTE]
I've always loved the Picross games -- so much so that GI's Picross DS review mentioned me by name, even though I quit years before.
I also have the Japan-only sequel on GB, one on SFC (Japanese SNES), and a Bandai-published one for DS that apparently has colored pieces, but I haven't been able to find it in-game. There's one with SD Gundams for DS that I never got around to buying.
Last Japan trip (early June) I pondered buying Picross 3D, but decided to wait until it was localized. Not sure if it'll be as appealing, but if it says Picross I'm buying it.

The Strike series.
Grind Session -- the other skateboarding game before Tony Hawk destroyed all, Jurassic 5 on the soundtrack made it a must play
Eternal Champions -- My second favorite fighting game on the Genesis behind Street Fighter II
Dark Legend -- Saturn fun adventure game that I sunk hours into
Out of This World -- Genesis another fun adventure game

Trap Gunner - PS1
Incredible Crisis - PS1
River City Ransom - NES
Powerstone - Dreamcast
Floigan Brothers - Dreamcast
Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
Zombies ate my Neighbors - SNES
Rocket Knight Adventures - Genesis

[quote name='fizzywix']Trap Gunner - PS1
Incredible Crisis - PS1
River City Ransom - NES
Powerstone - Dreamcast
Floigan Brothers - Dreamcast
Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
Zombies ate my Neighbors - SNES
Rocket Knight Adventures - Genesis[/QUOTE]

Agrees with Incredible Crisis. I also liked Intelligent Cube which i still have. :)

[quote name='Richard Kain']I picked up the Sonic's Sega Genesis Collection for the PS3 recently, and have begun playing the original Phantasy Star. By today's standards the graphics are primitive. But stacking it up to NES RPGs makes it quite visually impressive. Probably what has aged the most is the translation. (they did not do solid localizations back then) Still, I am enjoying the experience, and the save-anywhere system is definitely a welcome addition. We'll see how this classic series holds up.[/QUOTE]
It compares favorably against any NES RPG until probably Final Fantasy 3, which came out 3 years later and a year after Phantasy Star II.

People like to call it Sega's knockoff of Final Fantasy but both of these games came out on the very same day.

Bonkers for super nintendo. Great platformer. Also Rocket Knight for the genesis. Rocket Knight was really overlooked because of everybody was playing sonic. That game had alot of potential.

Roll Away (PSOne) is one of my favorite overlooked gems - it's like Super Monkey Ball/Marble Blast Ultra, but with a more puzzle-oriented focus than either of those.

Probably not so overlooked in this circle, but sonic cd is a real gem that I think doesn't quite get it's due... to me it's the defacto sonic game: it's fast and exciting but at the same time it's not a "put the controller down and watch the rollercoaster ride" experience like the 3D games are. And the music, don't get me started! Why this game hasn't gotten a XBLA/PSN release is beyond me.

Speaking of which, I gotta speak my mind on a similiar annoyance. What is sega waiting for with releasing all of their other hidden gems on other systems? We've gotten what seems to be a million genesis compilations, but what about the saturn, dreamcast and the miscellaneous goods from their failures like the sega CD, 32X etc? HOTD 2 & 3 on the wii is nice, but how about making a mega compilation with the virtua cops, jurassic park, gunblade ny, topskater, etc. The Wii is prime for shooters and other arcade games!

I love Sonic CD as well. It is strange it hasn't shown up again besides Sonic Gems collection.

Going into 32-bit and beyond for compilations is a good idea. They don't have quite the nostalgia factor, but getting Panzer Dragoon I, II and Saga would be beyond sweet. I think the main obstacle is that old 3D games look like ass now.

I didn't see one mention of Earthbound on SNES!

Phantasy Star Online- DC
Shenmue 1 & 2 - DC
Chrono Trigger - SNES
Perfect Dark - N64
Jumping Flash - PS1
Twisted Metal Series - PS1
Shinning Force - Sega Saturn
Myst - Sega Saturn
Kung Fu - NES
Castlevania SOTN - PS1
Diablo 1 & 2 - PC
Golden Sun 1 & 2 - GBA
Shadowrun - SNES

I could keep going for days.....

Danzig, those were all pretty popular games. Not sure any of them is a "forgotten" gem. Think a little rarer, more obscure. Like Car Battler Joe (GBA) or Top Shop (PSone).

Kwirk on GB!!

I loved Kwirk.

I just ordered a copy on ebay last week for a dollar!!!

It arrived today and I've been playing the ess out of it!

And I DEFINITELY second Toe Jam and Earl for Genesis.

Not to mention Sega Rally for Saturn and Sonic CD.

Man...

Edit: I forgot to mention Clockwork Knight! And, while much less forgotten, NiGHTS was GREAT.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Danzig, those were all pretty popular games. Not sure any of them is a "forgotten" gem. Think a little rarer, more obscure. Like Car Battler Joe (GBA) or Top Shop (PSone).[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting Car Battler Joe for years now.

I have Top Shop and me and 2 friends used to play the hell out of that game.

Forget where I got CBJ, but it's pretty sweet.
The Top Shop developers liked a buddy of mine, and made a skateboarding character after him in it.

[quote name='phoenix529']Kwirk on GB!!

I loved Kwirk.

I just ordered a copy on ebay last week for a dollar!!!

It arrived today and I've been playing the ess out of it!

[/QUOTE]

YES! I found a copy at a garage sale a few years ago with a Game Boy and Mario's Picross. I love the level design. It's my little sister's favorite game, she's always stealing it from me.

bread's done
Back