Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='cuco33']That is massive bullshit. I use Netflix to rent all formats, SD and HD and only real reason I looked their way was because they had a nice selection of HD DVD as compared to the lack luster selection at Blockbuster... this urks me beyond no doubt. :bomb::bomb::bomb:[/quote]

It seems like a strange decision from Netflix's point of view, as they're a rental company it would seem strange to cut yourself off from any potential customer base, no matter how small it may be.

I use BB for my rentals and the fact that they have exclusive titles (not sure if Netflix do, maybe someone can tell me) and still have HD-DVD's available means I'm unlikely to change.

Can't really see the advantage for Netflix here.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I can't remember which one it is, but Blockbuster has exclusive movies because they are owned by a movie studio.[/quote]
They have an exclusive contract with Weinstein. If they had exclusive access to Paramount/Dreamworks movies (owned by Viacom, Blockbuster's parent company), they'd be fined for unlawful restraint of trade and antitrust activity.

[quote name='Thomas96']The only way for people to come to the realization that BD is needed this gen (or any gen) is if a developer were to really use blu ray to its fullest potential. [/QUOTE]

Like I said, I think most see the benefit of it for gaming. It was just a generation too soon for many. Before this generation I'd never paid more than $199 for a console. Now I've already spent $250 on a Wii and $350 on a 360.

Given that persepective, $600 for the PS3 was just absurd to me and other like minded, budget oriented gamers.

BR may have a big benefit for games, but no improvements in gaming will ever be worth that kind of price to me. I'm fine with advances going a bit slower so that prices are in a range I can handle. BR is a good example as it's benefits would have better been saved for next generation gaming when it would have added pretty much no extra cost to machines.

[quote name='geko29']
It's been too long since I played a multi-disc FF game, but I assume that's how they were done as well, since in most of those games you could backtrack to wherever you want. You just couldn't re-do parts of the storyline that occurred in those places.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall having to swap discs to back track to earlier areas....but it's been a while for me as well so I could be mistaken.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Netflix goes blu-ray exclusive.
[/QUOTE]

Another nail in the coffin for HD DVD. Huge for me as most of my moving watching is through Netflix these days as I've slowed down my buying tremendously the past couples of years.

Blockbuster Online isn't an option any more as I hate the company too much to use any of their services.

[quote name='geko29']
It's been too long since I played a multi-disc FF game, but I assume that's how they were done as well, since in most of those games you could backtrack to wherever you want. You just couldn't re-do parts of the storyline that occurred in those places.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall having to swap discs to back track to earlier areas....but it's been a while for me as well so I could be mistaken.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Netflix goes blu-ray exclusive.
[/QUOTE]

Another nail in the coffin for HD DVD. Huge for me as most of my moving watching is through Netflix these days as I've slowed down my buying tremendously the past couples of years.

Blockbuster Online isn't an option any more as I hate the company too much to use any of their services.

Buy one when it's a lot cheaper then.... oh wait, you're angerz with dem! Grrrr! No buy ever!

No more console talk please everyone.
We have consoles to play the games we like, that's it.

[quote name='dallow']Buy one when it's a lot cheaper then.... oh wait, you're angerz with dem! Grrrr! No buy ever!
[/QUOTE]

Yep.

And they have no exclusives that are 100% must buys for me. And I have no need for a third console.

So their pricing strategy left them out of my home after being my most played console the past two generations. Sure it was the same for many gamers with them going from dominant first place to a current distant third this gen.

EDIT: FAKEEEEEE

Toshiba, the broken record.

TOKYO, Feb. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by Netflix decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. We’re confident that HD DVD’s affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market. Not forgetting our hugely successful Superbowl advert, which went down a storm.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

[quote name='dallow']Toshiba, the broken record.

[/quote]

I posted on my friends board my typical shortened 'cuco's notes'

[quote name='Toshiba'] we're f*cked [/QUOTE]

[quote name='dallow']My fave part is the Superbowl advert comment.[/quote]

Yeah I thought that was funny. After that whole debacle.. The SB ad was in limited regions. I'm sure it brought awareness to those who didn't know and so happened to see the ad.

[quote name='geko29']Just to play devil's advocate....it doesn't necessarily have to be. Aside from buildings and whatnot, the GTA games have a lot of animations and voiceovers related to the individual missions that are totally inaccessible once completed. So rather than putting each island on a disc, you could put both islands on both discs, and put the relevant missions and cutscenes from the first "half" on disc 1, and the rest on disc 2.

Fair enough - but that's really parsing the argument down to very persnickety and hypothetical levels (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Maybe audio would be the difference, but maybe it wouldn't.

Ultimately, it's nice to not have to worry about it at all, knowing that BD capacity will be more than enough for a decade or so. Remember, a game doesn't have to be 25 or 50GB to justify the need for BD: only 9GB and some change - enough 0's and 1's that are too many for a DVD.

Toshiba's a broken record and dmaul's a broken record. I HATE RERUNS! END THE WRITER'S STRIKE!

EDIT: As for netflix, huh. Another one for BD, I guess. I'm going to guess that the ultra-nutjob HD DVD spin will be that this will increase sales of HD DVD movies because they're losing such a substantial rental chain.

[quote name='dallow']Tee hee, it's fake (just found out), but spread around quickly.

:)[/quote]

Shut up... is it? I read reuters and yahoo news... how could this be fake?

Just read that Netflix is going to stop buying new HD-DVD's for its rental service, and will phase out HD-DVD entirely by the end of the year. Blockbuster said the same thing a few weeks ago (even though only 240 of its 1400 or so stores carried HD-DVD's in the first place)

In my opinion this is the nail in HD-DVD's coffin, by the end of 08 it will officially be the Hi-Def BetaMax.

more on this here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2259087,00.asp

glad I recently sold my HD-DVD player and got a PS3... got out just in time.

[quote name='cuco33']Shut up... is it? I read reuters and yahoo news... how could this be fake?[/QUOTE]

The netflix news is not fake, the Toshiba statement is.

[quote name='doubledown']From my understanding, Blockbuster Online will still carry HD-DVD....but yes, this is a BIG blow to HD-DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Blockbuster still rents HD-DVDs online.

Any reason this couldn't have been in the format war thread? Every piece of news over the past 3 months have been "the final nail in HD-DVD's coffin" but the format continues to march on and players/discs continue to be sold.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Perhaps this coffin is just being very meticulously nailed...[/QUOTE]

lol

personally I think warner bros. pulling out of HD-DVD was the first of many fatal blows, then paramount following them out the door basically chopped off HD-DVD's head, now its just a body running around waiting to die. As it runs by different venders they just keep slipping daggers in to make it die more quickly, but it will die regardless.

Its too bad, I really didn't have a horse in this race... from the get go I knew blu-ray was the superior format (at least on paper it is) but HD-DVD was cheaper. If you remember, Betamax WAS better than VHS and it didn't do it much good.

I'll just be glad when the format was is finally over and done with.

[quote name='Drnick']paramount following them out the door basically chopped off HD-DVD's head[/QUOTE]

But Paramount didn't follow them, they are still HD-DVD exclusive.

[quote name='Sporadic']But Paramount didn't follow them, they are still HD-DVD exclusive.[/quote]
Yeah, Drnick, wtf are you talking about? Paramount leaving would have been HUGE news, we definitely would have heard about it by now.

I gotta ask the obvious.

What does HD-DVD have to really do with gaming? Why does everyone keep forgetting HD-DVD is nothing more than a movie media format, compared to Blu-ray being a movie AND game media format.

[quote name='Drnick']In my opinion this is the nail in HD-DVD's coffin, by the end of 08 it will officially be the Hi-Def BetaMax.[/quote]

The thing about this is that BetaMax was better than VHS, yet BD is superior to HD-DVD but just happened to win this time.

This thread should be merged into the BD vs HD DVD format thread.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']The thing about this is that BetaMax was better than VHS, yet BD is superior to HD-DVD but just happened to win this time.[/quote]

BD the physical disk is superior to HD DVD. Only real advantage I saw on the HD DVD side was the 2sided combo disk which I liked and what they had planned in the works, triple layer twin format (not really TL51 but close) where both SD and HD would be on the same side. HD DVD's format is actually superior to BD's. Something along the lines of being formally completed :cool:

I remeber coming across something a couple weeks ago in a compuer/gaming mag (wish i knew were it went to) that Paramount was pulling out from HD-DVD soon, as well as a couple others. I'll keep diggin through my stuff to find it.

[quote name='KingBroly']HD-DVD had momentum? Where? Must've passed me by so quickly. It's too late to save their shoes.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can't measure both momentum and position at the same time, so if they were able to measure the momentum then the position could very well be anywhere.

seems reasonable to me, or Heisenberg. Notice how Toshiba never mentioned the position of HD in the sales figures or whatever... :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep.

And they have no exclusives that are 100% must buys for me. And I have no need for a third console.

So their pricing strategy left them out of my home after being my most played console the past two generations. Sure it was the same for many gamers with them going from dominant first place to a current distant third this gen.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone gets the point on your choice, you've said it many times already. You're living in the past now though because it's not $600 anymore like you keep quoting, people can get it for $400, big difference in price.

You also say you would have been happy with little to no online gaming, yet you're paying a yearly fee to play online. You've also spent more money on hardware than a lot of people on this board including me have so you're hardly a bargain shopper. The 360's bread and butter exclusives depend pretty heavily on online like Halo and Gears of War. You still have your Mass Effects, Fables, etc. that you may prefer over FF13, White Knight, or whatever but the PS3 has and will have a solid single player line-up.

It's hardly a "distant" third anymore. PS3 is picking up ground on it and most, if not all, European software charts show PS3 versions of multiplatform games outselling 360 versions. And of course PS3 versions in Japan are an easy bet on outselling a 360 version. You have most areas of the world except NA where software developers can expect their games to do better on PS3 than the 360. Third place or not a PS3 version is going to be worth it for most developers.

Putting blu-ray in it paid off for them. And the console is only $50 more than the 20GB 360. Price is hardly an issue anymore if you're willing to pay 360 prices. It comes down to personal preference. And Netflix going blu-ray exclusive is proof that putting blu-ray in was the correct choice for Sony. The PS3 could have been $300 at launch and the Wii still could have potentially steam-rolled over it. I'm personally happy paying extra for a big step up over PS2 hardware.

[quote name='zerolens']You're living in the past now though because it's not $600 anymore like you keep quoting, people can get it for $400, big difference in price.[/quote]

It is moot now, my point was just that the launch prices kept me for considering it.

[quote name='zerolens']
You also say you would have been happy with little to no online gaming, yet you're paying a yearly fee to play online. You've also spent more money on hardware than a lot of people on this board including me have so you're hardly a bargain shopper. The 360's bread and butter exclusives depend pretty heavily on online like Halo and Gears of War. You still have your Mass Effects, Fables, etc. that you may prefer over FF13, White Knight, or whatever but the PS3 has and will have a solid single player line-up.[/quote]

I never said I was a bargain shopper. I do ok for myself. I just have limits on what I'm willing to spend, especially on hobbies like gaming. Wii60 was definitely more than I'd like to spend on gaming, but it was offset by paying nothing out of pocket for the Wii as I sold off my last gen stuff to pay for it, and by getting a good 5 game bundle deal on the 360.

For online gaming, I'd never done it before this gen, so I picked up a year of live for $28 to give it a go. I'll probably renew as I at least like doing online coop with my real life friends. We'll have to agree to disagree with the bread and butter part, as even Halo 3 and Gears of War have great single player campaigns IMO. Especially Gears.

I'm personally happy paying extra for a big step up over PS2 hardware.

Like you say, totally subjective. I'm happy paying what I did to step up to the Wii60 combo and don't lament not having a PS3 for gaming at all.

I would like a Blu Ray player. As soon as prices drop on a non-sony standalone I'll snap one up.

[quote name='guyver2077']too bad they just charged me too. .ill ride this last month out..[/quote]

Call them and tell them you want to cancel and your reasoning behind it...they might credit your account.

My e-mail from Netflix:

We're Going Blu-ray

Dear John,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

Best Buy to officially push BD as the format for HD.

(they'll still sell HD DVD for now though)

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY - News) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”

Dunn continued, “Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.”

“With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices,” said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy’s senior vice president, Home Solutions. “Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers.”

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080211/20080211006384.html?.v=1

Doesn't really seem like a huge move on Best Buy's part. A change, sure, but more fence-sitting than it is a victory for BD.

doubledown, it's interesting to see that they'll start switching your queue to SD DVD beginning this month, then winding down HD DVD by the end of the year. How can those two things be compatible? If your queue will only have SD videos by March, how could you rent an HD DVD in August? I'm just confused by that, but since I'm not a netflix member, perhaps there's a way around it.

I don't know myke.

Most people's news on what's what in electronics comes from "what Best Buy told me".

I think it's big.
It's also a catalyist for other retailers to start doing the same.

I suppose. It's something, at least. They still sell UMD movies, so I'm not that confident that they would drop HD DVD as a format until there are no new releases to put on the shelves.

Or maybe I'm just starting to feel sorry for all the HD DVD guys, since they all (except thrustbucket and sometimes Sporadic) see the writing on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back