FORZA Motorsport 2 - Gen Discussion - March Pack Due 3/19 - 400pts - 13 New Cars!

Ah, well, I guess I'll just d/l it in the morning then. I can't stay up any longer. BTW, Linkin, nice GT work as usual. Might I suggest making the reputation level something like a fuel gauge and then making the recent games played like other gauges in a dashboard. You could also incorporate your score to looke like an odometer read out.

:raises hand: Only an hr and about 10 min. left!
banghead9lo.gif

? Sounds like about two hours left. Anyway, this is one of the few times not being in the continental US works for me...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']With all of the hype surrounding this game, I made a Gamertag. Feel free to use if you guys like it:

LinkinPrime.png

Code:
http://my.livecard.net/48293/LinkinPrime.png
[/QUOTE]

This is sweet. Thanks.

And I'll have that demo downloaded real soon. I'll post my impressions of it a bit later.

Love the silky smooth framerate. But after playing PGR3 for awhile, there's something about the car models that just isn't right....I love the demo so far though, it's very realistic. And the R2 cars are a blast to drive, it almost feels like I'm in the race, it's very fun. Also it's fun breaking off other cars spoilers accidentally, lol!

The graphics are a bit disappointing. I almost feel as if they are not up to PGR3 standards, but I haven't played that one in a while. However, the sound is certainly top notch. I'm looking forward to customizing my own rides.

Well, played a bit this morning. This just solidifed that I'm no longer a Gran Turismo / Forza player. Only arcade racers do it for me. I can't stand having to actually do well just to stay on the road. ;)

I haven't got the demo yet, it was moving slow as molasses this morning (Yay for finally having background downloads though). But I do have to say given the comments, alot of those "sweet" pics we were seeing were probably pre-rendered then.

[quote name='lordwow']I haven't got the demo yet, it was moving slow as molasses this morning (Yay for finally having background downloads though). But I do have to say given the comments, alot of those "sweet" pics we were seeing were probably pre-rendered then.[/quote]

early pics of games are almost always renders, unfortunately.

Yeah, it's Forza. I re-bought Forza 1 a month ago in anticipation, and F2 feels and plays just like it. And I have to agree with Cheapy, after playing one race, I have to say the graphics aren't PGR3 quality. But that doesn't matter to me at all, just because the graphics are "great" and not "super great", doesn't mean it takes away from the experience. This is still the #1 game on my list, and the demo hasn't changed that. And now I just noticed I'm late for work, so I better wrap this up.

Forza 2 Demo = Awesomeness

I'm actually quite disappointed. The graphics are good, about the same as PGR3, but the damage modeling is horrible. I played a destruction derby for one race and while the scrapes and such are good...only spoilers came off. And we're talking ramming cars and walls at 100+ mph and only getting fenders and body parts pushed in.

I go hit by other cars oncoming countless times and they should have easily destroyed the front end of my car and instead the nose gets launched into the air, and when i land, there's a little damage, a lot of painted scraped off, but my car intact. If thats how this game is, i might as well get GT5 :(

I don't know what to think. It's good... but I'm not sure how good.

I was disappointed in the graphics as well. I don't know what you call them, but those little white pixel-y specks that show around the hood of the car bother me (though it's not near as bad if you're racing a white car). I stopped to look at the crowd and the people in it were pretty piss-poor, though I can't think of a game that has a good crowd in it... I guess we're going to have to wait for Xbox 1080 before we get decent looking crowd-people. The damage was okay; better than anything out right now. Oh, and those red heat rings that appear behind your wheels when you're braking seem to be way overdone.

I didn't think the AI was as amazing as some people in the industry said it was going to be. At least it seems like it's aware of you; no more running you off the road just so it can stick to it's line. There were times when I'd pass a car on the inside and it would actually take an outside line. Pretty standard stuff, but good. One thing that has always bothered me about these types of games is that it just seems like the other cars don't want to win. If I get out ahead of the other cars I can pretty much block them for the rest of the race; I've never seen an AI car make a move on me unless I'm just too slow or I've made a mistake.

When I would just stop thinking about all these things and just play it, I really enjoyed it. I don't think there's much doubt that it's one of the best racing games ever, it's just that, once again, too much hyoe got us expecting something that just wasn't possible on this equipment.

Shouldn't car parts be flying off when you slam into a wall at 100+ mph? I see small bits and pieces but i mean, the front bumper should be laying somewhere off to the side if i slam the wall head off. It reminded me of PGR3, but at least Forza actually showed the body deform(ing) when in a collision. Still, quite disappointed with the damage modeling.

I liked PGR3 and I was kinda hyped about this game but the fact that you can't even hit another car or go off the track because the game penalizes you is just ridiculous. I'll stick to the PGR/Burnout series. Also the graphics didn't look good at all. Almost felt like I was playing an original Xbox game. Glad I hadn't pre-ordered yet.

The damage is the way it is because of licensing issues. The car companys do not want their cars looking bad in the game, at all. It is a testament to the Turn 10 legal department to get the companys to agree to the damage that they agreed to.

This game is not an arcade racer. If you want non-realistic racing go with an arcade racer. I am a bit disappointed by the graphics, but the sound is great. I will have a fun time with this game.

[quote name='CaptainChunk']The damage is the way it is because of licensing issues. The car companys do not want their cars looking bad in the game, at all. It is a testament to the Turn 10 legal department to get the companys to agree to the damage that they agreed to.

This game is not an arcade racer. If you want non-realistic racing go with an arcade racer. I am a bit disappointed by the graphics, but the sound is great. I will have a fun time with this game.[/QUOTE]

How exactly do film companies get around that issue? How many cars have exploded in every movie you have seen.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']How exactly do film companies get around that issue? How many cars have exploded in every movie you have seen.[/QUOTE]

That's usually one or two cars. And if it's make and model are apparent, the movie will pay big $ to let it be destroyed. In a game you have dozens of cars, and dozens of legal issues, with not nearly the budget.

Hmmm. The Demo was ok. The Graphics are not as good as PGR3. Gameplay is solid though. I wish they tossed in some Customization so I can get used to decorating my car with graphics. I'll just have to wait.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']How exactly do film companies get around that issue? How many cars have exploded in every movie you have seen.[/quote]

Using cars in films is a totally different animal. The companys want their car to be driven by the hero, not some joe schmo driving his Forza car into a wall.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How many gameplay modes are available?[/quote]

Just one. Start demo, pick car class, pick car, pick color of car. start race.

I'm not impressed. The gameplay is pretty meh and there's absolutely nothing about it that stands out as being better than the rest of the crowd. I realize it's a racing sim and not an arcade racer, but it feels too mundane to be very fun. I definitely preferred the gameplay in something like Gran Turismo 4. The graphics are pretty weak... they do run at 60FPS (after a weird bout of slowdown at the beginning of every race) which is nice though. I was really disappointed by the sound design actually. None of the engines have any kick to them -- they all sound distinctly Japanese and that is not a good thing. Before somebody says "Durr, well Chacrana, u've never driven a Porsche or a nice car like these b4," yes I have, and the engine does not sound anywhere near this weak. The reason I'm going off on the sound here is because that's a pretty big part of the immersion for a racing game... and it just isn't here.

Overall, it's a pass for me unless the final version improves dramatically.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm not impressed. The gameplay is pretty meh and there's absolutely nothing about it that stands out as being better than the rest of the crowd. I realize it's a racing sim and not an arcade racer, but it feels too mundane to be very fun. I definitely preferred the gameplay in something like Gran Turismo 4. The graphics are pretty weak... they do run at 60FPS (after a weird bout of slowdown at the beginning of every race) which is nice though. I was really disappointed by the sound design actually. None of the engines have any kick to them -- they all sound distinctly Japanese and that is not a good thing. Before somebody says "Durr, well Chacrana, u've never driven a Porsche or a nice car like these b4," yes I have, and the engine does not sound anywhere near this weak. The reason I'm going off on the sound here is because that's a pretty big part of the immersion for a racing game... and it just isn't here.

Overall, it's a pass for me unless the final version improves dramatically.[/quote]The engine sounds and what not didn't really do it for me until I turned down most of the other sound options and turned up the main volume. After doing that with surround sound, there's not one complaint I have about the sound aspect of the game anymore. ;)

Well, I'm downloading it now, but based on the consensus, I have NO intention on paying anywhere close to $60 for this game. And if I had to guess, I'd wager that one won't have to pay that price for very long. This also saves me from the temptation to buy the wheel sooner than later. I wonder what went wrong....

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The engine sounds and what not didn't really do it for me until I turned down most of the other sound options and turned up the main volume. After doing that with surround sound, there's not one complaint I have about the sound aspect of the game anymore. ;)[/QUOTE]

There's just not enough bass IMO... that was the issue.

I am very excited for the release. Forza made me realize how bad GT's were. For the unimpressed people are you playing with the helpers on? Turning them off is what makes the game. GT never had the different "feel" each car does in Forza.

Played it , don't like it a bit. Is this the best racing game MS have to offer ? Car damage is nice but Motorstorm is way better.

Graphic suck ass >< I'm sorry but it does.

[quote name='nonggame']Played it , don't like it a bit. Is this the best racing game MS have to offer ? Car damage is nice but Motorstorm is way better.

Graphic suck ass >< I'm sorry but it does.[/QUOTE]

How can you even compare this game with "MotorStorm"?

[quote name='coltcannon']I am very excited for the release. Forza made me realize how bad GT's were. For the unimpressed people are you playing with the helpers on? Turning them off is what makes the game. GT never had the different "feel" each car does in Forza.[/QUOTE]

I turned the helpers off right away. Not sure why they even turn those on since that pulls you out of the game pretty quickly when you have assistance like that at every turn. Still wasn't impressed though.

[quote name='nonggame']Played it , don't like it a bit. Is this the best racing game MS have to offer ? Car damage is nice but Motorstorm is way better.

Graphic suck ass >< I'm sorry but it does.[/QUOTE]

Why the hell would you compare this game to motorstorm..... they don't appeal to the same market at all....

And here I was gonna come in and make some kind of jokingly retarded comment about how you douches weren't playing it properly on 3 screens... and here a real moron shows up and screws it all up.

I played for a bit this morning and the first thing I noticed was that there is no grass. There is just green texture where there should be real grass. This makes the environmnent kind of look like something on the original xbox.

Im also unimpressed and echo many of the criticisms here. Test Drive Unlimited is the better game. If you put the tuning options and a few more tracks from Forza into that game it'd be the superior game.

Brake discs lighting up is well over used. Hopefully there will be a few small tweaks before the release. I cant wait for sunday laps of nurburgring.

[quote name='coltcannon']Brake discs lighting up is well over used. Hopefully there will be a few small tweaks before the release. I cant wait for sunday laps of nurburgring.[/quote]
There will be no more tweaking. The game has already been released to Microsoft for certification.

bread's done
Back