Forza Motorsport 4 - Official CAG Thread

demonhellcat

CAGiversary!
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/media/videos/default.htm#/video/4035/

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/media/videos/default.htm#/video/4029/

I'm excited! I know I shouldn't get too hyped but I just can't help it. This will definitely be a pre-order for me.

The VGA promo eludes to night racing, rally, and maybe F1 (engine sound), and of course a big affiliation with US and UK Top Gear. Hopefully they don't spend too much time with the Project Shitbox portions of the game.

CAG Car Club
Feel free to join our car club! Just search for CAG, since spelling it out isn't allowed in Forza 4...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='demonhellcat'] Hopefully they don't spend too much time with the Project Shitbox portions of the game.[/QUOTE]

hopefully they do spend time

Need to see real gameplay footage, but should be good. I like the forza games.. also the video had racing in alot more different types of terrain which is good!

[quote name='saunderscowie']Need to see real gameplay footage, but should be good. I like the forza games.. also the video had racing in alot more different types of terrain which is good![/QUOTE]

Agreed, actual gameplay footage would settle some of my nerves. I doubt we'll see any until E3 2011 though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Rain?[/QUOTE]

Rain would be cool, but the promo didn't show any. Of course at this point everything is subject to change and every little nugget we pull from these videos is all rumor and hopeful wishing on our part. It's fun to talk about though.

I was playing Forza 3 on Saturday while I B-Spec'd GT5.

I'll be getting this day one. Hopefully GT5 lasts me until then. If not, theres plenty of Forza 3 events I still havent completed.

Dynamic lighting and weather, and a little more driving variety seems like all that Forza 3 is really lacking for me at this point. If they include that I'd be really happy.

I heard that aside from the cheesy "air steering wheel" thing they had a demo of for Kinect, they were also going to add head tracking so you could look around your cockpit in the car while driving by turning your head. Something like that would be useful and non-gimmicky enough to almost make me want to buy a Kinect just for that purpose, if/when Forza 4 is released.

The other thing I really wish they would add is "touring mode". Where they re-create large portions of famous highways and then let you drive down them in your cars. Going around the same circuits is okay but does get on after a bit. Who knows, perhaps with the new Top Gear integration, it might have a chance since they made all those shows about finding the best driving road in the world, or the top gear challenges, which were really about driving various autos in various terrains.

BTW how did they get Top Gear collaboration anyhow? I thought that TG signed an exclusive agreement with Sony for GT5?

Ruahrc

so wait...if you "turn your head" w/the kinect on, you might end up looking outside the cockpit? which would actually be...looking away from your tv.

The head tracking idea is good in theory. If they can get that working well it would be very cool and potentially useful.

[quote name='100xp']so wait...if you "turn your head" w/the kinect on, you might end up looking outside the cockpit? which would actually be...looking away from your tv.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Good point! Ok, so not a good idea in theory. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']The head tracking idea is good in theory. If they can get that working well it would be very cool and potentially useful.

LOL! Good point! Ok, so not a good idea in theory. :)[/QUOTE]

It would have to be very sensitive to work well. Really it needs to have eye tracking to work perfectly, I doubt the Kinect can do that. Maybe they could steal Shift 2's idea of the camera shifting towards the apex automatically when entering a turn, we'll see how that turns out when Shift 2 is released. Personally I use the 'hood' camera as I find the cockpit camera too claustrophobic so it doesn't really matter to me.

As was mentioned the system could be sensitive such that you don't need to swivel your head 90 degrees just to look out the side. A small nod in a given direction would suffice. The point is not to be able to swivel your head all the way round the back but rather to just look to the side a bit to look into the curves. I think there would be a small learning curve but on e you get used to it the motion would be fairly natural.

IMHO this is actually a fairly proven technology. There has been a very similar thing used in PC flight sims for at least a couple of years now it's called the TrackIR which has been very well received by the flight community, and the kinect has the potential to be superior as the TrackIR system needed the user to wear a small reflective unit on their head for the camera to track.

AFAIK doesn't GT5 also have head tracking via the eye camera accessory?

Ruahrc

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/18/forza-4-tuned-up-to-take-checkered-flag-boosted-by-kinect/

Here's a small bit of info from a MSN Auto story. Looks like head tracking may be in the works. It doesn't say anything about it being in conjunction with a wheel though.

I may be reading into it too much but it appears the super hi-res stuff from the trailers will be on select cars. Hopefully all cars look the same on the track. I don't want the premium-standard disconnect that's in GT5.

[quote name='Necrozilla']P.G.R.5. please.[/QUOTE]

As in Project Gotham? Bizzare Creations is done buddy, doors closed, lights off, and at the unemployment office in line. They were good games, I'm also sorry to see them go.

[quote name='demonhellcat']As in Project Gotham? Bizzare Creations is done buddy, doors closed, lights off, and at the unemployment office in line. They were good games, I'm also sorry to see them go.[/QUOTE]

There is a rumor that Turn10 was also developing PGR5. Microsoft owns the rights to PGR, so they can get someone to do it.

No ifs ands or buts here, Fourza is a day one purchase for me.

Been playing Forza since the very first one came out on the black box.......and its been great minus every year there being some car that was incredibly over powered or the 1 car everyone could mod to use in any class. I think in the first one it was the CRX.....the second one was good but the 3rd one the whole "you can make any car into an AWD" has ruined it!!!!!!! I hate playing online cause its always the same thing over and over and your at such a disadvantage using a RWD car unless your playing against some newbs. Either way the #1 thing I hope for Forza 4 is to keep the modding on the more realistic side and have some graphics up to par with GT5!!On another note I heard Need For Speed Shift 2 is going to be a racing simulator and after watching the gameplay trailer of that I gotta say I was totally speechless and it earned my pre-order.

I agree the PI system in Forza has become a weak point in the game. If you want fair competition you really have to join a club or clan that sets up specific rules for races to keep things balanced.

Shift 2 interests me but I'll probably pass on it. Friends who played Shift 1 said the physics just weren't quite right. Although one developer interview I was on gamespot mentioned the point of the game is to become a driver in official FIA series. I'm hoping this is something Forza 4 does. I know they already have "official" GT1,GT2, LMP, etc cars but they've never had a single player experience that really feels like you are in an FIA race series driver's shoes.

Time to get the rumor mill started up!! Please keep in mind that nothing it this article has been confirmed by Turn 10.

http://kotaku.com/#!5785173/kinect+enabled-forza-4-would-incorporate-head-tracking-survey-says

If you don't like reading here's the recap of claims:

1. Kinect Head Tracking
2. Kinect "Joy Ride" Mode
3. Inclusion of an "expert" no assists mode
4. Over 500 cars from 80 manufacturers
5. New lighting and shading models "10 times better" graphics
6. Narration by Jeremy Clarkson
7. "Automotive World Tour" single player
8. Speculation of Open World mode in Forza 5 ?!?

My thoughts:

1. Good if it works, still won't make me buy a kinect.
2. Could be fun for little kids... still not buying a kinect.
3. FM3 already has this... just turn the assists OFF!
4. Similar numbers to FM3, there's no need for a VW bus and 20 versions of Skylines and Evo's like GT5 has. 500 cars is plenty.
5. This one would be awesome although "10 times better" is quite far fetched in my opinion. 10 times better would be 1080p live real life race broadcast quality.
6. That'd be cool as hell, I'm not holding my breath though.
7. ehh... something less boring than FM3 would be good.
8. I'm not going to comment on something that far-fetched.

For me, if it has Kinect head tracking and it works well and it's actually good/useful (and the rest of the game is solid), then that will get me to buy this game. I love my Kinect and so anything that makes good use of it is a candidate for purchase. I don't have any prior versions of Forza (I'm more into arcade racers), so this might be my first one. I'll wait for reviews, though.

[quote name='demonhellcat']
1. Kinect Head Tracking
2. Kinect "Joy Ride" Mode
3. Inclusion of an "expert" no assists mode
4. Over 500 cars from 80 manufacturers
5. New lighting and shading models "10 times better" graphics
6. Narration by Jeremy Clarkson
7. "Automotive World Tour" single player
8. Speculation of Open World mode in Forza 5 ?!?[/QUOTE]

1) If it works, could be sweet. I have a Kinect already, so any extra functions (that function) work for me. I am not sure the Kinect is sensitive enough ATM to pick up on head movements like that. Could be weird looking at the screen while turning your head to look off the side. Idk, love the idea of working on features like this though.
2) I like controlling my speed, but this would be good for people like my girlfriend who suck at racing games. Doesn't sound like it's a feature meant for me, but if it doesn't take away from the regular game, then I'm all for it.
3) Agreed with the no assists switches available on F3. Not sure how this would be any different. I would love to see clumbsier AI if racing in expert though. I like when the computer is capable of crashing without dumping them into a wall or barrier yourself.
4) 500 Forza cars > 1000+ GT5 cars that included things you never would want to drive and cars you can't customize. I only hope you don't have to purchase all vehicles for an achievement. I still can't get the F3 achievement thanks to DLC cars being WAY too much money.
5) 10 times better graphics better be some impressive stuff. I firmly believe the graphics will be beautiful though. They do amazing stuff.
6) Narration will be funny. Ultimate would be racing 1on1 with the Stig. Would love if they put Jeremy and all others behind the virtual wheel and have time trials with their best times to beat.
7) I just hope this is nothing like the F3 season play. Races were so long and boring after a while. I miss the race format of F2.
8) Open-World would make me happier than a fat kid in the candy store. I love open-world games and love the idea of TDU... if only the cars drove like Forza physics allow. Test Drive, while having fun with TDU2, is nowhere near the fun level of Forza when it comes to driving cars. Love this idea and would be game for it. Would prefer this over quick releases of Forza series games (don't need another annual game series like CoD, 3 is still unfinished).

Anyway, now I'm getting excited...

[quote name='retom7']
i only hope you don't have to purchase all vehicles for an achievement. I still can't get the f3 achievement thanks to dlc cars being way too much money.

5) 10 times better graphics better be some impressive stuff. I firmly believe the graphics will be beautiful though. They do amazing stuff.
[/quote]

That cheevo for buying all the cars is possible to get without buying the DLC cars but it's annoying. First, any car I owned from a DLC that added manufacturers I put on the AH for crazy prices (so no one would buy them). Any Turn 10 gift cars from the DLC will be lost since you can't auction them. (I only lost the Evora race car). Next, move to a USB stick or delete the DLC's that add manufacturers from the dashboard. Start FM3 (it will give you a warning about missing content, if you continue any DLC cars from your garage will be deleted (this is why we put them on the AH). Buy needed cars for the cheevo... you may need to buy one extra car to get the cheevo to pop. Once popped, go back to the dashboard and get your DLC back... start FM3, get your cars back off the AH and there you have it.

On point 5, I agree the graphics will be better but 10 times better is quite an exageration. We're approaching the end of this console generation so I think things are just about maxed out.

I'm not going to repeat the mistake I made with Forza 3 and wait forever to buy this...

...although I did wind up getting the ultimate collection for $30 so maybe I should wait for whatever GOTY name Forza 4 gets and go with that.

Real talk though, I love these games.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm not going to repeat the mistake I made with Forza 3 and wait forever to buy this...

...although I did wind up getting the ultimate collection for $30 so maybe I should wait for whatever GOTY name Forza 4 gets and go with that.

Real talk though, I love these games.[/QUOTE]

If you have the ability to wait a year to buy the game you get a major deal. The $30 FM3 collectors edition has $40-$50 worth of DLC included PLUS 10 exclusive cars I can't get.

I for one will be pre-ordering the LCE as early as possible because I'm a whore and they own my soul...

Well this looks pretty real and not a joke. This is on youtube and since I can't post links yet here is the rest of the link.

watch?v=CaoyuDBmJ1o

Notable info:

16 racers
5 new tracks
Top Gear Track is there
Kinect showroom and Kinect head tracking during races
did not show any weather or day/night
Over 80 manufacturers

Looks like I'll be sticking with P.G.R.4. for the snow, rain, fog, ice (light variations of each too) and motorcycles. Stock > tuning.

At least Shift 2: Unleashed has that sweet helmet cam (newest racing standard).

[quote name='jello44']It is real, confirmed by Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/#!5788195/purportedly-leaked-forza-4-video-confirms-kinect-features[/QUOTE]

This video is epic!... BUT I am trying very hard not to be too optimistic. One of the promo vids for FM3 showed a Challenger popping a wheelie in a drag race. Yes, FM3 has drag racing but it is pathetic and you can't do a wheelie... at least not at the actual drag strip.

The best news I heard from this is 16 player racing. Much better than 8.

Definitely interested. Want to try out the Kinect head tracking, for one. My question, though, is will they re-introduce a Microsoft racing wheel? I'd be a lot more interested in playing it with a decent one.

So much new information... I just don't know what to do with all of it.

New Website is Up! Updated forums will be around soon I assume.
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/community.aspx

Here's a lengthy run through of the game with Mr. Dan Greenawalt.
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318146/?tag=updates;editor;all;title;10

Confirmed So Far:
-16 player MP
-variable # of opponents in single player
-world tour (similar to season play but more open and diverse)
-rivals mode (challenge friends & similar skilled players... sounds like autolog)
-Variable times of day (no mention of transition from day to dusk or inclusion of night racing at all)
-importing of vinyls and some cars from FM3
-Car Clubs with car/paint/tune sharing
-Lots of Top Gear, even some Jeremy Clarkson voice work
-Autovista mode for super high res and detailed examination of cars (didn't sound like this is for all cars though)
-Cockpit view is fixed with an adjustable field of view (to see more of the steering wheel and mirrors)
-DLC will be available as pack as well as individual cars (no word on pricing)

In the video Dan mentions that many modes are not being revealed yet...
SPECULATIONS...
-Rally?
-Night Racing?
-Capture the flag in MP? Like what's in Dirt 3
-Who Knows??

[quote name='crunchewy']Definitely interested. Want to try out the Kinect head tracking, for one. My question, though, is will they re-introduce a Microsoft racing wheel? I'd be a lot more interested in playing it with a decent one.[/QUOTE]

They announced this the other day.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1173458p1.html

21awcjb.jpg

Almost looks like Nintendo's Mario Kart wheel adapter.

Not sure I understand Kinect headtracking. If you turn your head from side to side, aren't you then no longer looking at the TV?

[quote name='jello44']They announced this the other day.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1173458p1.html

21awcjb.jpg

Almost looks like Nintendo's Mario Kart wheel adapter.[/QUOTE]

My first impression was WTF?? But I must say I'm curious about how well it might work. I have a functioning MS wheel but don't always use it due to the set up/ break down time and effort. Somehow I've managed to be somewhat consistent using the wheel or my controller.

This may be a nice medium between the two. I think I'll keep an open mind for now.

[quote name='bsmiff']Not sure I understand Kinect headtracking. If you turn your head from side to side, aren't you then no longer looking at the TV?[/QUOTE]

Good Point.

Maybe they have it toned down. Where you turn your head slightly and you will look from side to side? Not sure.

Head tracking has been around for a while on PC sims. It is well accepted and works. From what I understand, it takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and is an effective enhancement.

Here's another youtube video showing good footage of head tracking in use- being explained by a Turn 10 team member. It's clear that the driver is used to using the head tracking, showing that once you're used to it the movements and benefit are pretty natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgMRjpAcOM

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back