Four in February

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Just finished Quantum Conundrum last night. Very enjoyable. I kept thinking that it reminded me of Portal, and then lo and behold, I saw Kim Swift in the credits. I hope they make a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Way to go! I've crossed out the game in your list ;)

I'm slowly progressing with Bioshock 2, since I have an unenviable fixation to explore every level's nook and cranny, but so far I've enjoyed the more or less subtle references to the first game... I have a feeling that I'll want to 100% its achievements on PC, and then double dip it on Xbox... :roll:

Next, I've loaded P.B. Winterbottom today for the first time and was immediately smitten with the concept: this game oozes class from every pixel, and I like its time travel-based puzzles very much. The atmosphere reminds me of Layton, but from a more "villainous" point of view :)

Deadlight is still waiting on Steam servers, while I was having fun with Sleeping Dogs until yesterday, when a friend came home and I decided to show it off beginning a new game... only to realize that I had saved a single time after the starting sequence, and all my following progresses were erased when the autosave was overwritten... :cold:

[quote name='Motoki']Gilby and I are planning on doing this, we're just getting a bit of a late start, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem, its all for fun anyway.

Although, I did start Psychonauts, and this is going to be a challenge. I really struggle with games that dont give a real clear explanation of what I should be doing and that I can just putz around in forever without completing anything. I may have to save this one for last

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Thank you for picking Bioshock 2. I preordered that game and am still nowhere close to beating it. I'm definitely down for the rest of the games, and I'll try to beat both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena in the month, since they're bundled together.

My recommendations for you are Binding of Isaac (I'd say it's beat after you beat the womb's boss, but you can set your own goal), Psychonauts, Gravity Rush (it just looks cool, never played it), and Cave Story+. Hope those work for you.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I started the Binding of issac but man is that good tough. Gonna work on some of the easier games first.

[quote name='Motoki']Gilby and I are planning on doing this, we're just getting a bit of a late start, sorry.[/QUOTE]

He twisted my arm.

I'm adding one condition for my list in that I want at least one game to be non-steam. Desura or an indie game from a bundle for that one, probably.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Sounds good. I started the Binding of issac but man is that good tough. Gonna work on some of the easier games first.[/QUOTE]

That game is really hard. I remember going for the special achievement from that one for the winter sale of 2011 and it took quite a long time.

... (short pause while I check my Steam library)

Turns out I have only played it for 13 hours, during which I beat the game multiple times. The special achievement was to beat a boss that only randomly appeared sometimes. I would recommend trying that one on and off throughout the month. It seems really hard at first, but once you get more used to it, it gets a lot easier.

[quote name='gilby']He twisted my arm.

I'm adding one condition for my list in that I want at least one game to be non-steam. Desura or an indie game from a bundle for that one, probably.[/QUOTE]

No need for any of your games to be on Steam, as long as you struggle hard enough to complete them ;)

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']That game is really hard. I remember going for the special achievement from that one for the winter sale of 2011 and it took quite a long time.

... (short pause while I check my Steam library)

Turns out I have only played it for 13 hours, during which I beat the game multiple times. The special achievement was to beat a boss that only randomly appeared sometimes. I would recommend trying that one on and off throughout the month. It seems really hard at first, but once you get more used to it, it gets a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with spreading it out. It is hard at first, but the more you play the easier it gets. I think I beat the boss for the first time in about 8 hours, but then beat the boss many more times quicker.

[quote name='Junpei']No need for any of your games to be on Steam, as long as you struggle hard enough to complete them ;)[/QUOTE]

True, I just want to assure that part of the four is something non-Steam, as they tend to be more easily forgotten about.

[quote name='gilby']True, I just want to assure that part of the four is something non-Steam, as they tend to be more easily forgotten about.[/QUOTE]

I see you've been playing Coconut Queen. Is that in anticipation of what you think I might pick for you? ;)

Here are Motoki's Four for February:

Portal (steam)
ARCANUM: OF STEAMWORKS AND MAGICK OBSCURA (gog)
Blackwell Legacy (steam)
Puzzler World (steam)

alt/backup - Murder, She Wrote (Amazon)

I've been looking forward to hearing what you guys pick, simply because I knew I wasnt going to recognize like 75% of the games.

OP updated accordingly... here come two new challengers! ;)
I remember being driven crazy by paranoid train controllers who wanted to make sure that I wasn't a wizard (which I truly was, instead) before selling me tickets in Arcanum... those were the times :)
I'm still holding a grudge against Valve for the part she had in Journey to the Centre of Arcanum's cancellation...

I found that there is actually some recent updates to Arcanum with restored content and some extra visual candy like animations and such. That was nice.

Is it bad that I wish Murder She Wrote was on Steam so a digitized Angela Landsbury would show in my sig when I am playing it? :p

I've been making some progress in deadlight, will probably have it beat this weekend. Not as good as I would have hoped it to be, but at least at the rate I going, I don't think it'll be a complete bore at the end.

I finally finished ARES. It was short (2 hours I think) and frustrating at times, but overall fun. On to Gemini Rue.

Also, I heard about some sort of survival beta game that was out recently, anyone have any clues? I can't remember where I saw the ad.

I suffered a pretty awful migraine last night that lead to me leaving work and going to the ER at 3AM.

The reason I bring this up (besides the Coconut Queen themed pity party I hope is thrown) is because this could have an affect on my gaming, if this becomes a permanent aspect of my life. I will try going back to Torchlight tonight when things slow down and see how I handle it.

[quote name='SeymourGams']I suffered a pretty awful migraine last night that lead to me leaving work and going to the ER at 3AM.

The reason I bring this up (besides the Coconut Queen themed pity party I hope is thrown) is because this could have an affect on my gaming, if this becomes a permanent aspect of my life. I will try going back to Torchlight tonight when things slow down and see how I handle it.[/QUOTE]

I really hope you feel/get better. I guess if you are back home that is some silver lining, but the thought of your gaming being affected sure sucks. Hopefully it's nothing too serious (and not just for gaming reasons).

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I really hope you feel/get better. I guess if you are back home that is some silver lining, but the thought of your gaming being affected sure sucks. Hopefully it's nothing too serious (and not just for gaming reasons).[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I've been at work tonight for 3 hours tonight and seem to be okay. It's slow enough now where I think I can boot a game up and take it for a whirl. I've been obsessed with videogames since I was able to hold a controller and am an even bigger cinefile...I'd be devastated if I couldn't handle handle screens anymore.

[quote name='SeymourGams']I suffered a pretty awful migraine last night that lead to me leaving work and going to the ER at 3AM.

The reason I bring this up (besides the Coconut Queen themed pity party I hope is thrown) is because this could have an affect on my gaming, if this becomes a permanent aspect of my life. I will try going back to Torchlight tonight when things slow down and see how I handle it.[/QUOTE]

Best of luck, buddy, do not force yourself: I suffered from stress induced migraine 10 or something years ago and wasn't able to do much other than lying in a completely dark room, waiting for the pain to fade away.

It eventually stopped when my working schedule was regularised, but until then even checking my mobile's small screen was out of question.

So, take your time and try to reduce your stress, as I hope your migraine is induced by too: to that end, we're sending a small group of Claire Sinclair lookalikes dressed as Coconut Queens to your house right now ;)

[quote name='Junpei']Best of luck, buddy, do not force yourself: I suffered from stress induced migraine 10 or something years ago and wasn't able to do much other than lying in a completely dark room, waiting for the pain to fade away.

It eventually stopped when my working schedule was regularised, but until then even checking my mobile's small screen was out of question.

So, take your time and try to reduce your stress, as I hope your migraine is induced by too: to that end, we're sending a small group of Claire Sinclair lookalikes dressed as Coconut Queens to your house right now ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice and support.

Your Claire Sinclair reference made me laugh because I am more of a Brawny Gent kind of guy (if you get what I mean) but I am actually a fan of Claire's, so I am still completely okay with that. :lol:

[quote name='SeymourGams']Thanks for the advice and support.

Your Claire Sinclair reference made me laugh because I am more of a Brawny Gent kind of guy (if you get what I mean) but I am actually a fan of Claire's, so I am still completely okay with that. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I just misunderstood the way you worded the Coconut Queen party request: we called back the Claire Sinclair's clones, who said "Get well soon!" anyway, and sent Daniel Dae Kim's twin brothers with hoola skirts in their place... enjoy! :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you, sinfulfate for making me beat Bioshock 2. I was about half way through before and wasn't liking the story. I sat down with it for a bit now, and beat the rest of it in one section. I loved the second half of the story. So now I'm one down, three to go!

Hope you feel better man. I live in MA, and just woke up after shoveling for a plow company for like 20 straight hours. It was pretty intense being in the middle of the blizzard all night. Hoping to get to play some more Psychonauts tonight but want to try the Defiance beta too

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Junpei']Don't worry, I just misunderstood the way you worded the Coconut Queen party request: we called back the Claire Sinclair's clones, who said "Get well soon!" anyway, and sent Daniel Dae Kim's twin brothers with hoola skirts in their place... enjoy! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I had to google but I am totally okay with that. :lol: Thanks.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Hope you feel better man. I live in MA, and just woke up after shoveling for a plow company for like 20 straight hours. It was pretty intense being in the middle of the blizzard all night. Hoping to get to play some more Psychonauts tonight but want to try the Defiance beta too[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I lived in RI for a few years, I am so thankful I wasn't there for the blizzard. Pyschonauts does make everything better though.

Beat Jolly Rover the other night. Totally fun, enjoyable adventure game. I might actually start playing more adventure games after this one.

And just beat Condemned: Criminal Origins. That game is awesome. It may have been a mistake to play the last few levels right before I try to go to bed, though.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Beat Jolly Rover the other night. Totally fun, enjoyable adventure game. I might actually start playing more adventure games after this one.

And just beat Condemned: Criminal Origins. That game is awesome. It may have been a mistake to play the last few levels right before I try to go to bed, though.[/QUOTE]

Glad you're enjoying the games. I LOVED Condemned when it first came out. One of the truly scarier games out there. Friggin' manaquins lol

[quote name='slofton']Glad you're enjoying the games. I LOVED Condemned when it first came out. One of the truly scarier games out there. Friggin' manaquins lol[/QUOTE]

Haha, those were crazy. I meant to get a screenshot of them, but I kept getting panicked and smashing them as fast as I could. I think the last level was the scariest for me, though. I spent most of the game with the strongest weapon I could find, and I did a lot of taser, smash, backpedal, taser, smash. And then the last level was like, "You don't need that taser anymore. Oh, and here are some crazy dudes who look like the Toxic Avenger on steroids and PCP wielding flaming 2x4s. Have fun!"

Now I hope they get that sequel to the PC.

Unfortunately, Condemned 2 isn't as much scary (the
friggin' bear section
being the only exception, lol) and it's filled with silliness, even though they truly improved the beat'em up mechanics... I think it is on par with Zeno Clash in that regard, so if you enjoyed that part you're in for more fun :)

About 1/4 through Gemini Rue and really enjoying it. A few levels into FEAR and loving that too. Saving Supreme Commander for last since it will be the biggest time sink.

So started Batman AA today, and
just beat Bane
. What a seriously awesome game so far. Thanks for the great pick Junpei

@ Junpei I have a request, and I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this but can I get an alternate for Psychonauts? I've played for about an hour and a half and want to like it but I really hate it a lot. Its not even that I think its a bad game, I'm just not into platformers that much and this isnt one that I can get into and enjoy. It seems like it's a 10-15 hour game so if you wanted to pick something from my list around that length (or even a bit longer, and it could also be the new Aliens: Colonial Marines that comes out Tuesday) I'd go after that, otherwise I just dont see myself finishing this before the end of February (or ever for that matter lol).

I know you had said it was one of your personal favorites so I'm sorry to disappoint you if I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrshllJcb']So started Batman AA today, and
just beat Bane
. What a seriously awesome game so far. Thanks for the great pick Junpei[/QUOTE]

You're welcome ;)
To be honest, I think that
boss battles were indeed the weakest part of the game
, but otherwise it was an amazing experience... I even took the time to gold all arena challenges :D

[quote name='MrshllJcb']But I have a request, and I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this but can I get an alternate for Psychonauts? I've played for about an hour and a half and want to like it but I really hate it a lot. Its not even that I think its a bad game, I'm just not into platformers that much and this isnt one that I can get into and enjoy. It seems like it's a 10-15 hour game so if you wanted to pick something from my list around that length (or even a bit longer, and it could also be the new Aliens: Colonial Marines that comes out Tuesday) I'd go after that, otherwise I just dont see myself finishing this before the end of February (or ever for that matter lol).

I know you had said it was one of your personal favorites so I'm sorry to disappoint you if I have.[/QUOTE]

Don't mention it, "favorites" are "personal" for a reason, after all ;)
I was thinking about Darksiders or Alice for a moment, but then realized they're platforms too, so if you are up for the unknown then Aliens is alright with me :)
I'll be busy for a while updating the OP with all the recent changes... I'm lagging behind! :cold:

EDIT: MrshllJcb already did all the work... full steam ahead, then!

Finally completed Winterbottom's story mode... whew, what a ride! Clever puzzles and suggestive atmospere, I'll definitely return to it to overcome all the bonus challenges! But now it's time to devote myself to Bioshock 2 fully... I'm just happy to have something crossed out from my list, at last! :D

I think Arcanum is going to be my first casualty. It's the kind of game 15 years ago or so I would have loved to death. I really like the world and atmosphere. I feel like it's begging for a more modern update. I just don't think having never played it before and not having the lense of nostalgia to view it through that I can muddle through it. If you'll pardon the pun, it's too archaic. :p

I thought I'd try to find some cheats and then just sort of plow through it and get through the story parts without fussing with grinding and leveling and such or worrying about getting killed and losing progress but even that proved frustrating as the character editor I found does not work on 64 bit windows and then I tried the cheatengine program to change values in the game but the game knew something was fishy and said the save was corrupt and refused to saved with the edited values.

As much as people, myself included here, complain about accessibility and dumbing down of games, I realize I just don't have the patience for some of those old games anymore. There's too much long drawn out tedious drudgery and frustration and not enough fun for me in my current state.

I may go back to it if there's time, I'll see. It's funny because RPGs have always been my favorite genre too, especially back in those days. But after feeling annoyed for while I gave up and played some Skyrim: Dragonborn. I probably shouldn't have started with the longest and most involved game first I guess.

Anyway, Angela Landsbury it is!

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Thank you thank you thank you, sinfulfate for making me beat Bioshock 2. I was about half way through before and wasn't liking the story. I sat down with it for a bit now, and beat the rest of it in one section. I loved the second half of the story. So now I'm one down, three to go![/QUOTE]

Np. Bioshock 2 gets a lot of hate for being an unnecessary sequel which is true but its still a great game. I finished Gravity Rush. Very unique game but combat is dull and the story isn't very interesting though I loved the made up language the characters spoke. Going to finish cave story next.

Okay, I'm having way too much fun with this cheesy ass point and click Murder She Wrote game.

jessical.jpg

jessica2p.jpg

I surrender my right to call myself a gamer and my manhood while I am at it. I might as well just become an old lady and get it over with. I already started shopping at Big Fish.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Np. Bioshock 2 gets a lot of hate for being an unnecessary sequel which is true but its still a great game. I finished Gravity Rush. Very unique game but combat is dull and the story isn't very interesting though I loved the made up language the characters spoke. Going to finish cave story next.[/QUOTE]

I'm a really big Bioshock fan (picked up the first on release day, and was absolutely blown away when I first played on 360) and grabbed the second on release day as well and wasnt disappointed in it at all. I know its a different experience playing as the original Big Daddy and I guess I cans see why people complained but I really liked the 2nd as well. I've already got Bioshock Infinite (from a CAG from the amd bundle) and cant wait to play it.

[quote name='Motoki']Okay, I'm having way too much fun with this cheesy ass point and click Murder She Wrote game.

I surrender my right to call myself a gamer and my manhood while I am at it. I might as well just become an old lady and get it over with. I already started shopping at Big Fish.[/QUOTE]

haha I actually have Big Fish installed on my laptop, I always wondered where it came from and I just figured out its from getting Plants vs Zombies on the cheap (but not as cheap as it was halloween)

Hey I hope you're feeling better

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']Hey I hope you're feeling better[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Migraine is gone and haven't had a reprise... managed to get fired, so life's been better.

[quote name='SeymourGams']Thanks. Migraine is gone and haven't had a reprise... managed to get fired, so life's been better.[/QUOTE]

Managed to get fired and things are better? I'm hoping you are actually serious and this is something you were hoping for and not sarcasm. Either way, good to hear your migraines are gone.

And been playing more Batman AA. Really like it a lot and definitely want to get it done before the month is over. Will probably be to burnt out to play Arkham City right away for next month, but will put it on my April gaming list if we do this again.

And today I will also start Aliens:CM. Been really looking forward to this game so very excited for it. If theres anyone here who is also grabbing it and wants to play some coop shoot me a pm.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']And today I will also start Aliens:CM. Been really looking forward to this game so very excited for it. If theres anyone here who is also grabbing it and wants to play some coop shoot me a pm.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading pretty bad things on that one, I hope they're just rants of butthurt diehard fans who are grieving over something completely trivial, like xenomorphs' vertebrae count.

Okay after playing Murder She Wrote a bit more it gets really repetitive and it's pretty easy even without hints, but it's a point and click hidden object game. Still a decent time waster in doses and I'm not going to complain about easy after getting killed multiple times in Arcanum. :p

bread's done
Back