Fox Announces Wolverine Stand Alone Film.

Othergods

CAGiversary!
While we had heard a lot of the rumors that Fox planned a Wolverine stand alone film, nothing official had been announced about an X-MEN spinoff - until now. It has been announced that Fox has signed writer David Benioff (TROY, THE 25th HOUR) to script WOLVERINE in a deal worth seven figures. The deal was made with the understanding that Hugh Jackman would reprise his role as the adamantium-clawed hero. A Wolverine spinoff film would likely follow the character's search to find out more about his past and how exactly he came to be the man he is today. Though those issues were addressed in the comic book, it's unclear if the film will take a similar explanation or go its own route.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=5477

Hopefully they make a series of the spinoffs, that way they could start at the beginning instead of doing it all in one movie. Just my 2 cents though.

Fun fact: the first film was at one point going to be called Wolverine and The X-Men. There is no titicular character in X-Men, so Wolvie is as good as it gets. Which is fine.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I just hope they don't change said story.[/quote]

Me too. I hope they are more careful with this one then they were with that atrocious Catwoman. I wonder why they didn't go with the same guy that did Xmen 1 and 2. He knew how to write a comic book movie. Hopefully they leave enough mystery in it so that they can do a series.

[quote name='MegaMan3k']Don't the movies already have a primary focus on Wolverine?[/quote]

Yeah, they have. I think this will be a good thing, because people love wolverine, but when I go into an Xmen movie, I don't want it to be Wolverine and some other Xmen. I hope this means that they will take the next movie in a more Cyclops/Jean Grey direction (and given the ending of the last one, I'm sure it will). I also really want to see some sweet Sentinel action. If I had my way, they would do a story similar to the first story arc of Ultimate Xmen. With U.S. building sentinels, sending them after Magneto, Magneto reprograms said sentinels to destroy Washington D.C., Xmen save the day.

I've always said that the major problems with marvel properties were that you couldnt tell one characters story without digging into 2 or three others, so it stands to reason if you want to tell Wolvie's story you have to give him his own movie and deal with the characters that directly influence it otherwise it's going to drown out the Xmen who each have their OWN gallery of influencing characters!

Strangly enough The DC characters are generally solitary and dont need another main character to explain their existance except for sidekicks like Robin... Catwoman on the other hand cant be explained without batman because otherwise it makes no sense especially when you introduce the character in a BATMAN MOVIE!..... sigh.

I just hope that, for goodness' sake, they finish what they started. I really like the X-Men series, and liked the cartoon. But it seems like every 5 years or so they just start over. There was the cartoon way back when. Then again when I was in high school. Then a few years back it came on Saturday morning again. And the movies. How many times do I have to see the "beginning" of the X-Men?

Sounds good. There were too many X-Men in X-Men 2 IMO, so just having Wolverine in his own movie is cool. I wouldn't mind seeing cameos one or two of the other X-Men though.

[quote name='chosen1s']I just hope that, for goodness' sake, they finish what they started. I really like the X-Men series, and liked the cartoon. But it seems like every 5 years or so they just start over. There was the cartoon way back when. Then again when I was in high school. Then a few years back it came on Saturday morning again. And the movies. How many times do I have to see the "beginning" of the X-Men?[/quote]

I feel the same way about the cartoons. The get started retell the story and then they disappear. The only one that lasted was the original Xmen on Fox.

If they do this movie (or possibly the series of movies) right then Sabretooth will show up often, and I thought he was pretty cool in the first one. Lets just hope it also leads to a different focus in X 3. BTW, when is X 3 due in theatres? Is it 2005 or 2006?

[quote name='craven_fiend']If they do this movie (or possibly the series of movies) right then Sabretooth will show up often, and I thought he was pretty cool in the first one. Lets just hope it also leads to a different focus in X 3. BTW, when is X 3 due in theatres? Is it 2005 or 2006?[/quote]

Since they currently have no director, theres no telling.

I hope they put Jubilee in the movie, Rouge as his side kick in the movies wasn't that great. Also I'm glad they are giving wolverine his own movie, his character took up too much time in the xmen movies. It's like having a JLA movie and only foucus on batman or superman.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] I wonder why they didn't go with the same guy that did Xmen 1 and 2. He knew how to write a comic book movie. [/quote]

No joke. That script for Troy was complete crap - they ruined the actual story.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I wonder why they didn't go with the same guy that did Xmen 1 and 2. He knew how to write a comic book movie. [/quote]
Bryan Singer took the 2 guys who wrote X1 & X2 with him when he jumped ship for the Superman Movie.

Ooh, that sounds cool. There aren't enough scenes where Wolverine can just slash through some inept henchmen, hopefully this movie will include some more scenes like that.

bread's done
Back