FPS aging like a fine wine?

Theenternal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
After successfully bringing my GF's video game experience to only being the sims and jewelquest to playing through the first two gears, left 4 dead lan parties, I started to introduce her to Halo.

Now for many games older, Puckman, Megaman, Street Fighter 2, various rpgs, marios etc, the graphics imo don't detract from the fun. I know this is a matter of perspective. However for Halo, we played the first section of Halo 3, and I decided that it would help if she knew the story so like gears, we were going to play through the earlier ones. I don't have 1 anymore and we started with 2.

I remember when 2 came out and appreciating the quality of a Next Gen game as well as Jimmiemac's dented collector's copy. However she had a hard time discerning her environment and enemies. And I recalled how wonderful I thought those graphics were when it first came out.. but looking at it now it was sorta rough to discern what was going on. (Note this difference was at split screen on an original xbox via component) Its funny how much things improved with this generation. HD content and the increased avg size of a TV has raised the bar. When we play left4dead we have a 52 plasma, a 32 inch lcd, and a 36 inch sony trinitron and on the "S"dtv it feels like N64 graphics in split screen.

So here is a small timeline compliation of FPS.

How well will these games hold up in the future? As a single player game? or Multiplayer? Is it the nature of these games to somewhat fade as newer titles are released? In a lesser degree like sports titles? With the exception of maybe counterstrike/team fortress.

Wolf3d
wolfenstein_3D_01.gif

Doom

doom.jpg

Quake
Quake1.jpg

Goldeneye
n64-goldeneye.png

half life
scared_scientist-705756.JPG

Halo Combat Evolved
Halo-Combat-Evolved-8.png

Halo 3
halo-3.jpg

Crysis/Farcry1/2
far_cry_crysis_screenshots.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
on the "S"dtv it feels like N64 graphics in split screen

that's interesting... I played Assassin's Creed on an SDTV and I still thought the graphics were amazing.

The only FPS that immediately comes to mind that could stand the test of time would be HL2. The gravity gun really is something special.

the half life series ( 1 and 2) will always be a geat game. yeah the graphics wont hold up but the story is still one of the best in the business. and they way each game sucks you into the world. i still enjoy the opening sequence of hl 1 that was the best way to show how a normal day could turn into the worst. and all the mods to boot freakin they hunger mod was the shit and im still hopeful they will come ot with one for hl 2.

i think bioshock could too if you can ignore that lame ending boss.

One thing about the original Half-Life is that it had a helluva lot of jumping puzzles, a major no-no in most FPS'. Guess we just didn't notice back then, but a new game with that many jumping puzzles would probably get hit pretty hard on 'em.

Apparently, however, I am fucking badass at FPS jumping puzzles. A helluva lot better than I am at aiming a gun that takes up 60% of the screen, at least.

Graphics hurt FPS a lot, but if it controls well it doesn't matter in the long. I think Half Life 1 held up pretty good years later, but games like Wolfenstein play like ass these days. Halo 1 still plays pretty damn well, but Goldeneye sure as hell sucks (Probably because of the lame N64 controller).

goldeneye would make for a great ds game especially on the mulitplayer end of things. but as a console shooter youre right it doesnt stand the test of time.

I tried playing Goldeneye yesterday, but the single n64 Joystick felt so archaic, I just turned it off and my friends and I just played something else.

I'm just gonna say that, as a kid who grew up in the 90s, going back today and playing games like Doom or Marthon or Wolfenstein honestly bothers my eyes. IMO that graphic style holds even worse than the N64/Playstation super-shitty-polygon stuff.

FPS that ages like wine.... Deus Ex? Amazing story, great characters, and it's still easy to look at, even on today's standard.

Come to think of it, I remember playing Quake 2 back in the day and it was the first FPS that I played from start to finish (with God Mode enabled, but hey, I was like 9 or 10 at the time). Also, the Unreal engine ver. 2 (like Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 has aged very well, along with the quake 3 engine (but unreal really beat them out on that round). Hell, I'll even say that those 2 engines has fared better a bit better than the Source engine, artistry-wise.

To the OP: Isnt the Far Cry 2 version of the Crytek engine just a streamlined and stabilized version of the one used in Crysis? Just noticed you reversed those 2 orders up, and my slight OCD was set off.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']FPS that ages like wine.... Deus Ex? Amazing story, great characters, and it's still easy to look at, even on today's standard.
[/quote]Not aged well: Chinese voices. Ouch...

EDIT: And if you plan on (re)playing Deus Ex any time soon, I must recommend that you install the fantastic "Shifter" mod. It adds a helluva lot to the game.

I believe so rumarudrathas, the Crysis engine is an extension of the Far Cry 1,

I agree that this in a way could apply to many games, however RPGS and even many platform games still hold up over time. At a point, probably around Jedi Knight/Half-life the bar is raised and storytelling started to matter more in FPS and in addition actual 3d in FPS started to form. Unlike where in doom when you kill a guy his body rotates to always have the same view.

deus ex was a fun game. the first pc game i ever bought that was he first time i really understood the diff between pc and console gaming. never did beat that game though .

bread's done
Back